[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/jp/ - Otaku Culture

View post   

File: 209 KB, 800x520, Canary-wharf-one.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
7288043 No.7288043 [Reply] [Original]

The United Kingdom is the new Japan.

What does that mean? Well, Japanese culture, fashion, television programming, etc were all the rage in the 90's/00's, but in the past 10-15 years British media such as Doctor Who, Harry Potter, Top Gear, Pegg/Frost comedies, the Office, Skins, etc have become much more popular than anime, manga, and J-dorama can ever hope to be. There are more "Britaboos" than there are "Weeaboos." The Union Flag has become fashionable in places not British (such as America, Canada, Australia, etc).

There is also the factor of no language barrier. The British speak the same language as Americans and as such importation of popular media is easy and often encouraged. Lump that with the fact that a vast majority of British media is 3D PIG DISGUSTING and are more desirable to more people. Also, sexy accents.

So, nice try Japan. Nice knowing ya. Enjoy the British reign of terror as American high schoolers poorly imitate British accents, wear tracksuits, and say "innit."

>> No.7288047

Britain was only cool in the 60s and has been riding that since then.

>American high schoolers poorly imitate British accents, wear tracksuits, and say "innit."
They already do this.

The new Japan will be France, once Wakfu reaches full popularity

>> No.7288046

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FopyRHHlt3M

>> No.7288050
File: 22 KB, 433x450, 129658624783.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>There are more "Britaboos" than there are "Weeaboos."

>> No.7288049

Who cares? As long as it's an island producing weird and/or interesting things, I'm fine.

>> No.7288052

Come back when there are cute 2D versions of Doctor Who, Top Gear, and Simon Pegg.

>> No.7288053

lol no. Nobody likes doctor who except you guys. The office is british? Cool I guess. Btw your accents are terrible please stop making youtube videos.

>> No.7288054

>>7288053
American and English The Office are different.

>> No.7288056

As a Londer all I have to say is 'no'.

>> No.7288057

>>7288053

>Nobody likes doctor who except you guys.

But that's wrong, faggot.

Doctor Who is the only good thing to come out of UK recently. That doesn't make them the best.

>> No.7288060

>>7288057

>recently

They've been making the same fucking show for 30 years.

>> No.7288063
File: 108 KB, 578x600, Image1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

The UK will never surpass japan.

>> No.7288066

I like watching episodes of Futurama on Nico Nico Douga
http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm5594622

>> No.7288071

>>7288057
But the recent Doctor Who is terrible, especially compared to what was around 20 years ago.

>> No.7288078

There are no britaboos where I live. Nort- West England.
I do like Top Gear, Doctor Who and Hot Fuzz though.

>> No.7288086

>>7288071

David Tennant was a good Doctor.

Eccleston was okay and Smith is decent, but those three seasons with Tennant were amazing.

>> No.7288093

>>7288043
I am british and so much of this is bullshit
>doctor who
same storylines over and over
>harry potter
just generally shit
>top gear
has failed miserabally since they pretty much flat out stopped doing reviews
>pegg/frost
they are pretty damn good
>the office
is an atrociousely boring show
>skins
if I wanted to see a bunch a cunts acting like cunt I'd go to a tech.

You are full of shit and if you think british culture is wearing tracksuits and butchering our language then you can kindly launch yourself into the sun.

>> No.7288097

Harry Potter was the big catalyst for the new wave of Brit-mania. The big problem was that in the 90's, in America, nobody gave a shit about football and Britpop.

>> No.7288103

>>7288053

I know you're trolling but claiming to not even know about the original is taking things a little far, Anonymous. As for the OP I have mixed feelings. Weeaboos generate your typical NARUTO KAWAII DESU NE ^__^ American fat fuck who is dressed up as an anime character whereas the UK just generates chavs. As a person from the UK I'm honestly not sure which is worse.

>> No.7288108

>>7288093
Sadly it's not about what British people are actually like, I'd about what American people think the British are like.
The amusing thing is, the chavs who wear tracksuits and going around saying "innit" are the ones who wouldn't be watching Doctor Who, but I'm sure Americans don't know that.

>> No.7288112

>>7288103
chavs, at least weeaboos don't get in your face thinking their hard as fuck when they're about 13 and you're a foot taller than them. Christ I fucking hate NI.

>> No.7288121

What's worse? A chav on stella or a jock on buckie?

>> No.7288131

>>7288112

Perhaps but once you embrace your NEEThood, like myself, then chavs are no longer a problem since you rarely, if ever, leave the house. Also the town I'm in has no chavs so that's also a bonus. Generally once the chavs reach a certain age they hit the point where they've had 5+ kids and can longer sit around all day as they have to look after their kids for their benefits. I live in NI too.

>> No.7288132

I think the biggest factor is the common language and it is easier to digest human 3D characters than 2D saucer-eyed pink-haired types.

Plus, Pegg and Frost own your shit.

>> No.7288133

>>7288121
chavs drink buckfast too. You can here them throughour the night "ey shun gett in de fuckin house we get de fuckin taxi down spoons like, get pro'er fuckin blocked like. May'e get shum wine on de waaaayyyyy."

It genuinely fascinates me how anyone can learn to speak that badly.

>> No.7288138

What exactly perpetuated the chav stereotype (i.e. "Everyone from England wears a tracksuit/hoodie") anyway?

>> No.7288151

Two words: DUB STEP

>> No.7288158

>>7288103
Both are the same - the same poor middle class, similar level of intelligence and education, just chavs according to stereotype are more aggressive.

>> No.7288171

I would say the ease at which the material is attainable is a large factor. You don't need to sub/dub British shows/movies unless you're not from an anglophone country. Also, the companies that bring them over stateside are reasonable with their pricing and don't have you pay over 9000 dollars for an old decrepit Fushigi Yuugi box set nobody watches anymore.

>> No.7288188

Britain (like all other Western nations) is controlled by cultural leftists and has many non-whites flooding in, whereas Japan has been able to prevent that so far. One of the reasons I like Japan is that it has been able to accept modernity without accepting replacement by foreigners.

>> No.7288202

>>7288138
I don't know, chavs?

>> No.7288204

Japanese may be a popular niche. But American media reigns supreme. From Hollywood movies to TV shows. No matter how much your hate American media, fact of the matter is that the majority of the world voluntarily consumes it.

You're basically fighting for second place.

>> No.7288224

>speak the same language as the americans.

... it might be English. but I sure as hell sometimes don't understand what half the americunts are saying.

and why do they not know how to spell. its fucking colour not color.

>> No.7288234

>>7288224
>let's add letters that are not even pronounced nor serve a purpouse and weren't in the original word, just because
Taking out retarded 'u's from shit like colour and favourite is good.

>> No.7288236

>>7288234
>>let's add letters that are not even pronounced nor serve a purpouse and weren't in the original word, just because
The original word is 'couleur' from French, so 'colour' makes more sense than 'color', just like 'flower' makes more sense than the non-existing 'floer'.

Also, >greentext

>> No.7288241

Doctor Who is pretty good. Has it spawned thousands of NEETs obsessed with british culture?

Not in the least.

And harry potter sucks. I practically fell asleep during every film since Chamber of Secrets.

>> No.7288250

/jp/ - Britain General

>> No.7288259

>>7288236
>>7288234
English pronounciation doesn't make sense either way, just shut up.

>> No.7288460

LOL Doctor Who

>> No.7288483
File: 58 KB, 346x270, 1303828808501.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

despite all the racism you see on the internet, the japanese I met where fucking bros.
I was in London as well and people seemed very unfriendly, I have no reason to be interested in The United Kindom.

Just look at the United Kindom, and think about it in 10 years.
Same thing will happen what happens here in austria, enjoy your islam.
Violence etc. is off the charts and will continue to grow.

>>7288204
True, but I think many view america alot worse than 10 years ago.
Even though all governments fuck up equally.

>> No.7288512
File: 145 KB, 604x437, katewilli.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.7288519

I fucking hate neo-/jp/. Fuck.

>> No.7288540

Are you guys 12?

People fascinated with Britain has always been popular (though a lot of them are actually of British descent unlike Weeaboos). My mother watched the UK Channel like I watch anime. Shits not "new".

>> No.7288546

gott straff britain

>> No.7288594

>>7288043

Don't get me wrong... I like the brits, but I have to point out a few things.

1. Only a small portion of British TV is worth watching, just like Japanese TV.

2. You guys aren't nearly perverted enough to attract people like me (and probably quite a few fellow /jp/ people). So it really doesn't matter to us how popular British shit gets.

3. The Union Flag has been popular in the United States since the 1980s....Mostly due to the huge influx of British rock music. And even before that, don't forget the 'British Invasion' of the 1960s.

>> No.7288618

For a moment I thought I click on /int/. I'm not even joking.

>> No.7288685

I'm American. If someone's not obsessed with Top Gear, it's Harry Potter. If not that, then Doctor Who. If not Doctor Who, it's dubstep. If not that, it's Skins.

What the fuck England.

>> No.7288699

England's pretty shitty.

Fucking asians everywhere.

>> No.7288721

Enjoy your council estates, chavs, stabbings in broad daylight, Pakis, niggers, high taxes, neverending rain, IRA bombings, and Buckfast Tonic Wine.

Fuck the UK.

>> No.7288767
File: 97 KB, 800x532, modern_Britain.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Too bad that while Japan will be around for at least another 1000 years or so, Britain will have finished its transformation into a Muslim shithole in a few decades from now.

>> No.7288792

>>7288767
I've seen a map like this with provinces like "London's Califate", "Edinburgh Sultanate" and "Muslim Republic of Wales"

>> No.7288811
File: 75 KB, 600x400, gott_strafe_england.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

To me as a European, Britain seems like a shitty version of America, but also with all the worst traits of continental Europe.

>> No.7288839

>The United Kingdom is the new Japan.
Not even fucking close.

>have become much more popular than anime, manga, and J-dorama can ever hope to be.
If you essential argument revolves around the capabilities of empires to broadcast their media across the world and have more viewers than it is a very weak argument to even start with.

Their women are fucking disgusting.
Their culture is fucking vulgar and filled with meat headed dipshit football faggots.
Their food is fucking disgusting.
Their genetics are atrocious, backwards and mutated.
They are generally hated by the majority of world for their blood empire past.
Their accents are fucking vulgar and disgusting.
They are pompous, self righteous moral policemen of the world, censorship is vast.

It is a wonder if they can re-brand their image at all to the world. All of the media hits you mentioned are also ones that have essential roots outside of their country and can/will be re-invented over again.

I fucking hate the British

>> No.7288839,1 [INTERNAL] 

>>7288839
Why are you so mad?

>>
Name
Subject
Comment
Action