[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/jp/ - Otaku Culture

View post   

File: 46 KB, 375x523, SakuyaIzayoiCard-1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
7170311 No.7170311 [Reply] [Original]

can you MTG /jp/?

>> No.7170316

>Blue/Black
>Not pure blue

>> No.7170324

I've never played MTG in my life.

>> No.7170338
File: 661 KB, 667x1000, 1293698411528.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

no, but I can contribute to a sakuya thread

>> No.7170352

Not anymore.

>> No.7170355
File: 30 KB, 360x280, psychatog.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I played this shit in high school but it pretty much sucks now. they changed the wording to sound more gay and fucked up a bunch of rules. sometimes I try to talk about it on /tg/ but they all fucking suck and barely understand how to play.

>> No.7170370
File: 51 KB, 375x523, Flandre Sister of the Devil.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.7170372
File: 49 KB, 375x523, Hong Meiling Gateguard of the Devil.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.7170376
File: 53 KB, 375x523, Koakuma Librarian of the Devil.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.7170381
File: 46 KB, 375x523, Patchouli Confidante of the Devil.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.7170387
File: 45 KB, 375x523, Sakuya Servant of the Devil.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.7170390
File: 42 KB, 375x523, The Scarlet Devil Mansion Residence of the Devil.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.7170392
File: 42 KB, 375x523, Remilia the Scarlet Devil.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.7170397

>>7170372
>>7170376

Meiling isn't red.

Koakuma might be, but a succubus should be more towards black.

>>7170381

>nonblue magician

derp

>>7170387

WHY WOULD SAKUYA BE RED

GOD DAMMIT /tg/

>> No.7170401

these cards make the color pie cry.

>> No.7170403

I would post some of mine but my pc currently has a font problem.
Soon I will post my cards though. And they dont have colorpie issues

>> No.7170413

>>7170397

First off, red because they're a cycle for the "Scarlet" Devil Mansion inhabitants. Geddit? Either way, Legendaries tend to have a greater degree of freedom from the pie than most other cards, since they're, well, Legendary.

Individually:

Hong punches stuff hard, but has an inconvenient drawback. Red.
Sakuya pings stuff by chucking knives at them. Pretty Red.
Patchy has a fair few elemental destruction zenryoku zenkai kaboom spells. The actual card isn't terribly Red, but hey, Legendary, and also I don't care.
Koakuma has pretty much zero canon presence. Succubi spread chaos, which is very Red.
Flandre is Flandre.

>> No.7170417
File: 56 KB, 375x523, 1208926405245.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.7170418
File: 47 KB, 451x439, 1301081537107.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7170413

>Anyone that does anything aggressive or attacks in any way is red

You have no idea what the fuck you are talking about.

>> No.7170430
File: 40 KB, 375x523, Never-ending Gourd of Sake.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7170418

>I believe Hitler and Stalin were right, and I am also a patient in a mental asylum.

Would you look at that, it turns out that I can make up things people didn't say as well!

"Heavy hitter with a drawback" is a standard Red effect, as is direct damage. Chaos and destruction are standard Red themes.

>> No.7170439

>>7170430
>"Heavy hitter with a drawback" is a standard Red effect

It's also pretty standard for black. At least it's meant to be, wizards seem to be forgetting about the drawback lately.

>> No.7170444

>>7170430

How are chucking knives and punching things red?

They aren't.

Meiling is some combination of green and/or white.

Sakuya is pure blue.

Koakuma is black/red with more towards black because the nature of succubi is to eat men in their dreams.

Patchouli would probably work best as every color because of how her daily spells thing works.

Flandre is pure red.

Remilia is red/black.

>> No.7170445

>>7170439

True, but for Black it's generally more of a price that the controller has to bear, whereas with Red it's more of an inconvenience that the creature itself has - "Cannot attack unless another attacks with it", and similar effects, instead of, say, paying life.

>> No.7170453

oh my fucking god, peeps bitching about rules, and you mix ANIME with magic. Jesus fucking christ, don't do this to MTG

>> No.7170458

>>7170444

After thinking about it for a bit Sakuya would be Blue/White (perfect and elegant maid, she only interferes when incidents affect the SDM, etc), and Patchouli would be pure blue. It's weird trying to convert Gensokyo magic to Magic.

>> No.7170464

>>7170453

>Touhou
>Anime

Pick one.

>> No.7170468

nerds

>> No.7170470
File: 45 KB, 375x523, Yukaris Meddling.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7170444

>How are chucking knives and punching things red?
You are confusing theming and card effects. Color pie is determined by the latter, and the latter (may) be inspired by the former.

"Lizardman Knife-Chucker" is not (necessarily) Red. "Lizardman Knife-Chucker | T: Deal one damage to target creature" could very well be Red, because unconditional direct damage is primarily a Red effect.

Meiling is fairly Red in both theming and effect - very powerful, but largely bound to one place unless some condition has been fulfilled.

>Koakuma is black/red with more towards black because the nature of succubi is to eat men in their dreams.
Oh, I never knew you were succubus_expert(have summoned 667 succubi, last summoned: koakuma). My apologies.
What a succubus does depends on the setting. Spreading chaos through deceit is a common theme. Furthermore, to have more Black than Red would require three colored mana synbols, which tends to be avoided when possible.

>Sakuya is pure blue.
Good argument, I never thought of it that way. I have no rebuttal to your perfectly thought-out critique.

>Patchouli would probably work best as every color because of how her daily spells thing works.
Theming != abilities, and LOL EVERY COLOR is completely overdone in MSE sets. The actual ability is either White or Blue, the rest of the typing simply to match the rest of the cycle, and admittedly partly purely due to her themed potential for major destructive magic.

>> No.7170477
File: 170 KB, 646x505, untap.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.7170479
File: 45 KB, 375x523, Rainbow Danmaku Branch.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7170470

Since I may not have been perfectly clear on the central point there: most characters have the potential to display abilities of multiple, or even all, different colors. You can't possibly fit all of those on the card, and the color that the card itself is is determined only by the ones that you choose to put on, not by the character's overall theming. What you consider to be the "essential" aspects of the character that deserve to go on the card may not match someone else's.

(I admit that this means that I handwaved Patch somewhat to fit the cycle, but hey, it's not like Wizards never has done that).

>> No.7170482

>>7170470

>Meiling is fairly Red in both theming and effect - very powerful, but largely bound to one place unless some condition has been fulfilled.

Meiling guards the gate and tends to the garden. She isn't running around attacking people; she is just doing her job. That isn't red behavior.

>What a succubus does depends on the setting. Spreading chaos through deceit is a common theme.

Succubus drain men of their energy by having sex with them. If this isn't a black ability I don't know what is.

I changed Sakuya and Patchouli already.

>> No.7170486

>>7170479

Just because characters can do whatever they want doesn't mean their fundamental colors should change.

Tons of Touhous have an ability that pretty much guarantees them a color, e.g. Sakuya is blue, Patchouli is blue, Yuyuko is black, Flandre is red, Eirin is blue, Nitori is blue... I could go on but the point is there is only so much room for differentiation.

>> No.7170489
File: 36 KB, 375x523, Hakurei Ying-Yang Orb.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7170482

>Meiling guards the gate and tends to the garden. She isn't running around attacking people; she is just doing her job. That isn't red behavior.
Color is not determined by theming. If she's a heavy hitter but it's hard to use her reliably, that is primarily a Red aspect. If the card had been based around, say, her function as a gardener, she would have different abilities and potentially be a different color.

>Succubus drain men of their energy by having sex with them. If this isn't a black ability I don't know what is.
And they also spread chaos, which is Red, so she's Red/Black. If a card doesn't have an *ability* based on a particular aspect of the character they represent, they don't get the color that particular aspect would imply. Fluff and color have no direct relationship.

>> No.7170495

>>7170489

>Color is not determined by theming.

Yes it is. There is a reason there are no lawful pure blacks running around and no giant worms that are pure red.

>> No.7170499
File: 36 KB, 375x523, Lävatein.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7170486

>Tons of Touhous have an ability that pretty much guarantees them a color
Because there is a particular aspect of them that is guaranteed to be represented on a card. If for some reason it wasn't, they wouldn't be that color. And if there is some *other* aspect of them that the card represents, then they would gain that color; Sakuya throws knives as well as manipulating time, so she's Red/Blue if both of those are on the card.

Also, just being a mage doesn't mean that you have to be Blue. In particular, White also gets plenty of theming involving dedicated study and SCIENCE!

>> No.7170504

>>7170495

Theming -> Abilities -> Color. It is not a direct relationship. Theming determines abilities, and abilities determine color. If a card doesn't have the right abilities for a certain color on the pie, it doesn't matter how much the theming fits, it doesn't get that color (or is horribly overcosted, ala Bee Sting).

>> No.7170511 [DELETED] 

First time I see touhou mtg cards without grammar ackwardness everywhere. I approve of the color pie. Good work OP.

>> No.7170515

First time I see touhou mtg cards without grammar awkwardness everywhere. I approve of the color pie. Good work OP.

>> No.7170516

>>7170482
It's not necessarily red behavior, but the theme of her abilities - loosely martial arts themed - can probably be argued as being green or red. Certainly a card like Mountain Breaker could only be red.

>> No.7170519

>No lawful pure blacks
Baron Sengir? He seemed like a pretty law-abiding guy, albeit in an evil way.

>No giant worms that are pure red.
What about the wild wurm?

Seriously, over the course of the game, if you pick any ability or theme, it can be attributed to most (if not all) of the colors. For example:

Targeted land destruction: Stone rain (R), rain of tears (B), kudzu (G), erosion (B)

tap to deal 1 damage: prodigal sorcerer (B), anaba shaman (R), Icatian javalenier (W), Coumbaj witches (B)

>> No.7170584 [DELETED] 
File: 47 KB, 375x523, Youmu Konpaku Magic Card.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.7170591 [DELETED] 

>>7170584
Oh wow, the artifacting on that came out quite abysmal.

>> No.7175049
File: 40 KB, 210x230, 1285032757935.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.7175320

>>7170311
This card does not do what you think it does. All it does is be a fogger and limit the turn player to two sorcery-speed spells per turn.

When a phase starts, the turn player gets priority. This means that the player can play a spell BEFORE you can activate the ability. You can then end the phase, but the spell remains on the stack (it doesn't disappear until the end of the turn). Even after activating the ability, it'll just go on the stack and can be responded to, or even countered.

>> No.7175331
File: 42 KB, 375x523, I'd play it.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I wonder how OP this card is, given how bad power creep is getting...

>> No.7175357

>>7175320
So, to get a Sakuya-like ability, plus some balancing:

Sakuya Izayoi 3UB
Legendary Creature - Human Maid (R)
At the beginning of your upkeep, put a charge counter on Sakuya Izayoi.
Remove 4 charge counters from Sakuya Izayoi: Exile the stack. Take an extra turn. At the end of that turn, return all cards exiled this way onto the stack in their original order. As long as this ability is on the stack, players can't cast spells or activate abilities that aren't mana abilities. (The turn this ability was activated in continues as normal after the extra turn ends.)
3/3

No flying because it's magical flight rather than an inherent ability as far as I know. No first strike because she simply isn't extremely fast or anything, the only thing that would give her such an advantage is stopping time, which does more than just first strike.

>> No.7175370

>>7175357
>no first strike
You're wrong. I understand your argument, but you're still wrong.

>> No.7175381

>>7175331
Still extremely overpowered. Although blue creatures have been beefed a lot, just 'flash, reveal hand on damage, 3/3' would be enough for 2UU. Haste in creatures that can be cast with only blue is still extremely rare, and powerful creatures like that haven't been printed any time recently as far as I can remember. Add flying and first strike, and it's just broken as fuck, even in red. What makes Aya red anyways?

>> No.7175398

>>7175381
Her chaotic, haphazard, on-a-whim nature, I'd guess.

>> No.7175423

>>7175381
Gah...
I still like it. How would you balance it, anonymous, while still keeping it in-character?

>> No.7175441

>>7175357

Exiling the stack? Wow, what a headache. No, she'd turn into a Knowledge Pool. Everyone would hate her and no one would play her. Which isn't right, because that is a reputation that should be reserved for Alice.

>> No.7175443

>>7170417
When it's something static (doesn't have defender) rather than a one-time thing (loses defender) it's 'may attack as though it didn't have defender', rather than actually losing defender. Which makes sense, since it wouldn't regain defender if it goes below 3 counters with the current wording.

The rest is very nice, except the last ability is a bit too easy to use for a 3 mana creature. It shouldn't be able to do function at first block, that would be a bit too powerful. There's no such thing as "Deal damage", it needs a source (for prevention effects and the like): "Hong Meiling deals damage".

I don't see what's red about this card, though. It basically screams mono-white.

>> No.7175488

>>7175441
Actually, the way it's played is tons easier than its wording. What basically happens is that somebody just plays a turn before everything on the stack resolves, then everything continues as usual. It's like playing an entire turn in response to a spell. The exiling of the stack is necessary for rules reasons; there needs to be a way to stop it from resolving, and you need a way to save it from being permanently exiled at the end of the new turn (the stack is exiled when the turn ends - see Time Stop).

>>7175423
1UU
Flash, flying, haste
When Aya Shameimaru attacks and is not blocked, defending player reveals his or her hand.
1/3

Removed power, since she isn't actually strong, kept toughness to not make her worthless. Removed first strike because she has no reason to have it. Changed the damage to unblockedness, since the idea seems to be that getting through to the player means revealing information on him/her, regardless of damage, and not when just pinging. Was considering changing 'reveals hand' to 'look at hand', but she makes a newspaper, which means it's revealed to everyone. Flash is essential, haste is necessary because of the way the 'news gathering' is executed, and flying because she has wings.

>> No.7175494

>>7175488
Oh, hold on, that isn't right either. Haste in mono-blue. Hmm...I guess you'd need a ninjitsu-like effect instead. Something like "If you play Aya Shameimaru during your combat phase, before attackers are declared, it comes into play tapped and attacking."?

>> No.7175506

>>7175494
That seems to be over complicating it a little.

How about Flash and "When Aya Shameimaru enters the battlefield, it deals damage equal to its power to target player"?

>> No.7175510

>>7175488 Changed the damage to unblockedness, since the idea seems to be that getting through to the player means revealing information on him/her, regardless of damage, and not when just pinging.

Surely you just want "When ~ deals combat damage to a player, that player reveals their hand.", then? Also, your wording wouldn't trigger on Trample, if she were to gain it.

>> No.7175534

>>7175494

I'm fairly sure a better wording would be more like "When [whatever], you may [cost]. If you do, put ~ onto the battlefield tapped and attacking."

>> No.7175550

>>7175494
How about make her U/R, give her back some power or first strike, but give her some drawback. Like damaging you or reveling your own hand or something. Aya's always getting retribution for her reporting, so...

>> No.7175593

>>7175506
"Enters battlefield, deals damage" is red, which absolutely wouldn't fit on a blue card. It also defeats the entire point; Aya isn't trying to damage and hurt, she's trying to get through unblocked.

>>7175510
That's correct. I'm not an expert on Touhou, so correct me if I'm wrong, but getting information due to damage would imply she beats people up until they tell her what she wants to know. Rather than that, she just gets her news by getting to the person (which means it fails if she's blocked), and the damage is just a side effect.

>>7175534
Good luck putting a creature onto the battlefield tapped and attacking in the second main phase, or better yet, in your opponent's combat phase. If it's tapped and attacking, it can ONLY be during the combat phase, before damage dealing, and in this case, ideally before blockers are declared. Extra costs aren't necessary.

>>7175550
Again, no expert on the subject, but Aya is only hurt by people's responses to her actions, not inherent effects of her own actions. So getting some kind of direct retribution for it wouldn't fit.

>> No.7175630

>>7175593
I guess, but it happens so consistently that it might as well be inherent.
How about...when Aya reveals a players hand, you take one damage for every X revealed, where X is a card type? To much?

>> No.7175639

>>7175593
Alright then.

How about flying and "When a creature dealt combat damage this turn by Aya Shameimaru is put into a graveyard, that creature's controller reveals a number of cards from his/her hand equal to its converted mana cost"

That seems to fit the beating people up for information theme well enough to me. I don't remember if that's actually canon though.

>> No.7175661

>>7175593
>Good luck putting a creature onto the battlefield tapped and attacking in the second main phase, or better yet, in your opponent's combat phase. If it's tapped and attacking, it can ONLY be during the combat phase, before damage dealing, and in this case, ideally before blockers are declared. Extra costs aren't necessary.
The [whenever] would be part of the combat phase. The cost isn't "extra", it's the cost to play the card = "Put into play tapped and attacking" does not make you pay the casting cost any more than "Put into play" on its own would.

>but getting information due to damage would imply she beats people up until they tell her what she wants to know
Not really. Conversions to MtG aren't really 1:1 like that - a more usual way of putting an effect onto the card is generally preferred to a more precise but highly unusual construction.

>> No.7175686
File: 42 KB, 375x523, Beatrice the Golden.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7175639
>That seems to fit the beating people up for information theme well enough to me. I don't remember if that's actually canon though.
The point was that she DOESN'T beat up people for information. Especially not KILL people just for news stories. That would make her rather black.

>>7175661
It just feels off to 'put it into play' if it already has Flash. Perhaps the mana cost could just be changed to 1(U/R)U? I'm not sure if cards with a combination of hybrid and non-hybrid symbols have been printed yet...

Picture is a /jp/-related card I made ages ago. Simple and fitting. (Creature type is wizard because MTG doesn't have witches - witches in MTG are usually wizards, clerics or similar magic-users.)

>> No.7175715
File: 48 KB, 357x499, MagicGoggles.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

This thread made me nostalgic for the old days when we'd make up MTG cards. They didn't even need to be useful, so long as fun was to be had.

>> No.7175717

>>7170430
I like this card. Fitting and balanced, if perhaps a bit on the weak side.

>>7170370
>Sister of the Devil
>Vampire
>Deathtouch
>Dealing 1 damage to creatures AND players
>Red
No, not really. Demonic things are black, vampires are black, deathtouch is black. Exceptions exist, but not in red. When red deals 1 damage, it's generally to creatures (see Tremor). For 1 damage to everything (Pestilence effect), it's more black, although life loss is preferred, especially when not draining. Sacrificing essential resources can be black, although sacrificing lands doesn't happen much and is more red, but it would still be acceptable in black. The correct mana symbol order is "<color><color>X, <tap>:". Targeting it is uncommon in red, while just doing damage is uncommon in black. I'd say the ability would be better as full-black "Target player loses X life. Creatures that player controls get -X/-X until end of turn."

>> No.7175746

Hey these touhou fan made terrible cards get less offensively retarded with each new thread.

PROGRESS IS AWESOME.

>> No.7175774

>>7170376
Complicated card. Two abilities which are completely unrelated, which is a bad thing, especially on an already complicated card.

Inconsistent numbering: using 'one' at one point, then '1' at another point for the same thing. How it should be:
>Look at the top three cards (cards)
>Reveal two (cards)
>put one [...] and one (cards)
>loses 2 life (life loss)
>deal 1 damage (damage)
>and 2 damage (damage)
>discards two cards (cards)
>then draws a card (cards)

"Either" is simply the wrong word to use in the context, as it could mean either "one of the two" or "both of the two". Therefore, "if both of the revealed cards were sorcery cards", "if both of the revealed cards were instant cards".

Don't assume the player is male. It's always "him or her", "he or she" and "his or her".

I don't know enough about Touhou to judge the flavor of the card, but its abilities fit the color pie.

>> No.7175779

>>7175686
In that case it could just trigger from dealing damage to players instead.

>> No.7175828

>>7170381
Cringeworthy in every way.

First of all, imprint is an artifact-exclusive ability. That's because you, quite literally, imprint the object into the artifact. You can't just imprint something into a person.

Exiling a spell that was played this turn? Stepping away from the 'it doesn't work' for a bit, how the hell would you exile a card that was played earlier this turn? Remove it from the graveyard? What if it was already exiled? What if it had buyback and is back in the player's hand? The game only knows the spell as long as it's on the stack, which brings me to my following point...

It doesn't work the way you think it does. A 'spell' is a card that's on the stack. As long as it's not on the stack, it's a card, not a spell. Fortunately, 'played' means that it has only been cast, it doesn't require it to have resolved, so you can still exile it while it's on the stack (although it makes 'that you played this turn' completely unnecessary - if it had been another turn, it wouldn't be on the stack anymore). I'm not sure what it would be like to have a spell rather than a card imprinted, but I'll leave that to the people who know the rulebook word-for-word.

You CANNOT, I repeat, you CANNOT put an instant or sorcery spell or card INTO PLAY. If by some kind of bizarre magic you would be able to do it, it would just instantly be removed by state-based effects, and it wouldn't do anything. What you are trying to do is, in the case of a card, copying and casting the card, or in the case of a spell, putting a copy of it on the stack.

The card is red/white, while the abilities aren't anywhere near white, and red wouldn't do such long-term planning (it'll only copy things that are already there, they wouldn't store it for later use). The ability is definitely an artifact one, the closest color it comes to is blue.

>> No.7175900

>>7170387
Overpowered as fuck. The card would be worth it even if it was 1/1 and the only ability it had was the latter one. You are seriously underestimating how powerful split second can be in certain formats. There's a reason Krosan Grip is $2.50 even though it's just a 3-mana disenchant.

That said, 5 mana 3/4 double strike would already be strong enough. Add an interesting but weak ability to make it interesting enough. The two abilities interact at least in cost, which is nice.

"If this dealt damage to a creature"...first of all, the effect concerns a creature, not the source of the effect, so the subject of the sentence should be the creature. "This" is also very vague, always make sure it's clear what it refers to when you do use it (that's why MTG cards keep mentioning the card name in the text box). Anyways, the sentence should be "If a creature is dealt damage this way, tap that creature."

>> No.7175906

>>7175828
>First of all, imprint is an artifact-exclusive ability. That's because you, quite literally, imprint the object into the artifact. You can't just imprint something into a person.
Yeah, you lost me. I don't even care about the rest of your argument, though it's probably true. You just lost all credibility right there.

>> No.7175967
File: 90 KB, 400x580, Demon's Summon that doesn't have Demon in its name.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7170390
"Add one many that shares a color" doesn't happen in Magic, since mana is always mono-colored. I'm not sure how it SHOULD be worded, since I can't find precedents, but it should be something with either "of a color" or "of any color"...not sure how to word the condition.

Referring to types of cards by their name is FORBIDDEN in Magic. They avoid it like the plague, it's only a Yu-Gi-Oh thing. They only refer to card names when it's about a single card. One of the main reasons they do this is because localization would fuck things up. For example, did you know that in Yu-Gi-Oh, "Summoned Skull" has "Archdemon" in its name? I sure didn't.

>> No.7175987

>>7175906
http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Search/Default.aspx?text=+[imprint]

All 20 imprint cards are artifacts. It's an artifact-exclusive ability from Mirrodin block that made its return in Scars of Mirrodin block. The idea is that the information is stored in the artifact, like a computer storing data. It's hard to explain, but it just doesn't work on a person. I'm sure the Daily MTG articles will have a better explanation on the flavor of imprint than me.

>> No.7176003

>>7175987
Being a legend easily gives the leeway to be an exception to that. Think outside the box.

>> No.7176024
File: 33 KB, 223x310, Bant Charm.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7170392
I like this card. Like I mentioned before, depending on names is a serious problem, but other than that, my only concern is that it might get a bit too powerful, depending on how many low-cost "of the Devil' cards there are. The once-per-turn regeneration is definitely nice, though; it makes it sturdy but at the same time simple to kill by just killing it twice.

>>7170470
The second choice is definitely a red ability, it totally doesn't belong in blue. The first one doesn't feel very blue either, but it's acceptable. With a cost of 2UU, though, I don't think many people will play the first ability. (Minor nitpicking: Choose one is followed by a long dash, not a colon.)

>> No.7176064

>>7176003
I would think outside the box if it were only either a violation of flavor OR a violation of actual game standards, but I can't forgive both, unless it really, really fits. Which it doesn't.

>>7170479
High cost, no interesting effects. The effects fit the colors, but they're just not interesting enough to waste WUBRG on, especially with the additional cost of (5) to cast the artifact itself. I'd rather have one interesting effect than five mediocre effects.

>>7170489
This one needs playtesting, lots and lots of it. This is the kind of card where you just can't tell how powerful it is. It depends strongly on the context; if you can get 5-10 1/1 tokens out by turn 4, this card will be devastating. However, if you only have two creatures by then, it isn't all that great...but again, unless your opponent is heavy on 1/1s.

>>7170499
Interesting and probably balanced. Wording nitpicking: You don't choose a type of permanent, you choose a card type. Reminder text of what the card types are would be useful (see Tarmogoyf).

>> No.7176082 [DELETED] 

>>7176064
But it's NOT a violation of flavor.

>> No.7176133

>>7176082
>The imprint mechanic is a bit daunting at first glance, so let me walk you through it. An artifact with imprint (and all the cards with imprint are artifacts) has the ability to remove a card from the game (from where varies from card to card) and then use the removed card to help customize how the artifact works. The act of removing the card and syncing it up with the artifact is called imprinting. Let's take Soul Foundry as the example. You play Soul Foundry. When you do, you remove a card in your hand from the game, meaning you imprint it. This card is now used to determine what Soul Foundry can do. It tells you what creature the card creates when activated.
>[...]
>The next part of this story begins in Scourge. And not with me. While trying to design cards for the set, Brian Tinsman created a red enchantment called "Autospell." It too had a mechanic that removed a card from the game to customize itself. It took the card from a different place and it had a different effect than Clone Machine, but the core of the idea was very similar. When I saw the spell for the first time, I commented to Brian that it reminded me of Clone Machine.
(continued)

>> No.7176144

>>7176133
>The Mirrodin design team (more on them in an upcoming column) was playtesting Clone Machine while the Scourge development team was playtesting Autospell. Both spells were very popular. Meanwhile, the Mirrodin team was looking for a mechanic unique to artifacts. To spur ideas, I asked each member of the team to return with at least one mechanic suggestion.
>
>While racking my brain that night for ideas, I began thinking about what artifacts in Mirrodin (then just called "Bacon") stood out. I quickly thought of Clone Machine. And then my mind drifted to Autospell. Both were very cool spells that seemed to be filling a similar creative space. It soon dawned on me that the thing that the cards shared was the thing that made them both exciting cards. Maybe we could bottle that idea and turn it into a whole mechanic.
(continued)

>> No.7176149

>>7176144
>As I explored the idea of keywording the ability, I realized that it had to be the act of removing the card to customize the artifact. That was the common bond. This meant that imprint cards would vary a great deal. They would remove cards from different places and they would use them to customize themselves in different ways. But I thought the connector was strong enough to hold the cards together conceptually. The idea even lent itself to artifacts as the idea of customizing an item to personalize its use made perfect flavor sense on an artifact.
>
>To capture the flavor I named the mechanic “imprint” as you were using it to imprint some aspect of the removed card to set what the artifact did. (As a side note, the Mirrodin team's design names for all four keyword mechanics – okay three new keyword mechanics and a new card subtype – made it all the way from design to print.) The rest of the team really liked the idea and imprint was born.

http://www.wizards.com/magic/magazine/Article.aspx?x=mtgcom/daily/mr87

>> No.7176210

>>7176133
>>7176144
>>7176149
I'm not sure what you're trying to convince me of here.

The imprint mechanic works on the Patchy card. The card COULD have the imprint keyword removed and still have the same abilities (replace "imprinted" with "removed from the game by Patchouli" or something)and it would still work, but that would be a needless hassle when it's doing something we've already got a keyword for, but we can't use said keyword because it wouldn't be flavorful.
It's just semantics.

>> No.7176324
File: 33 KB, 223x310, Kaho.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7176210
The flavor problem is, you're not customizing your robo-patchouli by feeding it new spells. I'm not entirely sure what the card is trying to do flavor-wise, but with an imprint-like ability, it takes spells from the player and replicates them.

If you're trying to go for a "Patchy learns powerful spells by herself and can cast them" flavor, you shouldn't have an imprint-like effect but something more like Kaho, Minamo Historian (see picture).

The problem is the passive flavor of imprint. Imprinting means you put something in the card, and the card is configured depending on the card, automatically doing something related to the card. There are several cards having a more active approach to casting or copying cards, and they don't have imprint.

>> No.7176597
File: 41 KB, 375x523, Hakurouken.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7175717
Flandre is very, very pure Red thematically, Vampire or no. You're right about the Deathtouch interaction - there's a more recent version of that card with that fixed, but I don't seem to be able to find it right now. I'm more or less content with the abilities otherwise - if Green can have Hurricane, Red can ping players for 1.

>>7175774
>"Either" is simply the wrong word to use in the context, as it could mean either "one of the two" or "both of the two".
I fail to see the ambiguity here - how could it mean anything other than "at least one of the two"? You're right about the wording. As far as the complexity goes, that's largely what was being shot for thematically - she's a succubus librarian.

>>7175828
I'm fairly certain we had this argument in /tg/ like, two years ago. Imprint is originally thematically artifact based, but it's still just a kind of keyword - if it fits a particular ability to a tee, I'll still use it, because it simplifies the wording and makes the effect more clear. You're very correct on the particulars of spells entering play - I never really considered it when I wrote it, but I'll certainly need to rewrite that. As for coloring, the effect is just about close enough to White to fit at a stretch. Red is completely handwaved to fit the cycle's coloring, but it's certainly not like Wizards have never done that before.

>>7175900
Split second fits too perfectly fluffwise to leave alone. I considered toning down some of the other abilities when I made it, then decided no-one was going to be playing it anyway. I'm halfway sure that I fixed the wording in of the tap ability in the more recent set that I can't find right now.

>> No.7176599
File: 40 KB, 375x523, Roukanken.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7175967
Yes, yes, I know, don't refer to things by name. It would be easy to give them all a "Servitor" subtype or the like and have this and Remi play off that, but I quite liked the sense of uniqueness it gave the cycle.

>>7176024
Cards are hardly always perfectly on-color, and "fucking around with when stuff happens" is at least reasonably Blue, even if there is a potential to give an extra combat. Might consider making it so that the creatures *only* can attack in the extra combat, so it's less "extra" and more "delayed".

>>7176064
Branch is a filler card, completely intended to not be terribly useful, just to fit the theme.

>> No.7176656
File: 42 KB, 375x523, Mini-Hakkero.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7176064

Oh, I missed one.

Are you sure about the ying-yang ball? You still need one colorless per creature, so it can't be significantly worse than a big Fireball, surely? All it's doing is saying "All creatures you control have 1,T: ~ deals one damage to target creature or player." - a double-efficiency Goblin Cannon that's limited by the number of creatures you have. Being able to shoot 5-10s per turn at your opponent is nice, but it leaves you vulnerable if you tap everything out to do it, and really, by the time you have that set up, you probably *should* have your win condition just about ready to fire.

>> No.7176669

To expensive for a NEET.

>> No.7176746

>>7176656
>Being able to shoot 5-10s per turn at your opponent is nice, but it leaves you vulnerable if you tap everything out to do it
Except, you know, you can use the ability at the end of your opponent's turn, right before your turn starts. For every blocker you leave, you can ping one damage to an opponent's creature. You're not left vulnerable at all, since you're killing your opponent's creatures rather rapidly (tip: pinging is supposed to be used against creatures, not players). It's like infinite repeatable Fireballs if you have enough creatures. You can also use it to tap creatures after declaring them as blockers. Pinging after a block is quite useful.

>> No.7176751

Next block confirmed:
Scars of Kamigawa - Kamigawa Besieged - New Gensokyo

>> No.7176764
File: 32 KB, 223x310, Image.ashx.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.7176769

>>7176751
On a side topic: the last battle of Kamigawa (third novel) features 2 magical flying girls against a dragon Kami.

>> No.7176781
File: 39 KB, 375x523, Tengu Fan.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7176746

"It's useful if you have lots of open mana and lots of creatures untapped" is a fairly broad statement. Surely if you're in the position where it would go from "good" to "great" like that, you're either already with the upper hand by a reasonable margin, or the main strategy of your deck is to get *into* that position?

>> No.7176819

>>7176597
>Hakurouken
Different effects go on different lines, unless it's an "instead" effect. The +1/+1 should be on a separate line. For nitpicking: The Equip ability is always the last line of the card's text. It costs way too much, though, for a weak ability like that. It's not even full shroud, let alone trollshroud, so it dies easily regardless of the ability. And 4 + 3 isn't worth it for +3/+3.

>>7176599
>Roukanken
Nitpicking: Double Strike should be all lowercase. Also costs too much, Fireshrieker can get me an unconditional double strike for 3 + 3. The deal damage on attack isn't worth the five CMC, although the 3 equip would be a good cost.

>>7176656
>Mini-Hakkero
Costs way too much. Furnace of Rath doubles it for 1RR, Mini-Hakkero is colorless and therefore weaker, but 4 mana for only 1 additional damage? Still, in the same set as the orb ( >>7170489 ) it would probably see play just to abuse the orb.

>>7176781
>Tengu Fan
Worthless. This is the kind of extremely minor ability that would go on a 0 CMC artifact.

>> No.7176841

>>7176781
I'm not just talking about using all of your mana and creatures on it. I'm just saying you can take out any 1/1 by just leaving one mana open and tapping one of your blockers at the end of your opponent's turn, or you could leave two open and tap two blockers to take out any 2/2. It's quite annoying when your effect creatures (generally low p/t even if mid cost) are pinged away that easily.

Try building a token generation deck around it, perhaps even adding a bit of mana acceleration. You'll find out why it can be ridiculously powerful depending on other cards in the format (it depends on how easy it is to get lots of small creatures, and how difficult it is to get bigger creatures. If this card were in Kamigawa block, it would be quite dominant in the metagame. It can easily kill most Kamigawa creatures with CMC <= 4, kill Disciple of the Vault and the Arcbound creatures before they get dangerous, kill all of the guildmages easily...).

>> No.7176906 [DELETED] 
File: 46 KB, 375x523, Withered Cherry Tree.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7176841
If you're just talking about a *few* pings, rather than the fact that *everything* can ping, surely it's just similar to leaving a few pingers untapped? Less so, even, since plenty of pingers don't even need mana open to ping. If you build a whole deck around it, then yes, it's powerful when the deck goes right - that is rather the *point* of building a deck around something.

>>7176819
Duly noted, adjusted a few costs. I don't tend to play very artifact-heavy, so I generally aimed for the high end when trying to ballpark costs.

>If you don't feel like craning your head, the flipside is "Saigyou Ayakashi | Legendary Land | T: Add one mana of any color to your mana pool. | G: ~ becomes a 7/7 Youkai Treefolk creature with Trample until end of turn. It's still a land."

>> No.7176914
File: 46 KB, 375x523, Withered Cherry Tree.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7176841
If you're just talking about a *few* pings, rather than the fact that *everything* can ping, surely it's just similar to leaving a few pingers untapped? Less so, even, since plenty of pingers don't even need mana open to ping. If you build a whole deck around it, then yes, it's powerful when the deck goes right - that is rather the *point* of building a deck around something.

>>7176819
Duly noted, adjusted a few costs. I don't tend to play very artifact-heavy, so I generally aimed for the high end when trying to ballpark costs.

>If you don't feel like craning your head, the flipside is "Saigyou Ayakashi | Legendary Land | T: Add one mana of any color to your mana pool. | G: ~ becomes a 7/7 Youkai Treefolk creature with Trample until end of turn. It's still a land."

>> No.7176952
File: 47 KB, 375x523, Undefined Fantastic Object.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7176914

Typing that out, the "Until end of turn" is in the wrong position. Fixed that.

>> No.7176955
File: 38 KB, 223x310, FlameFussilade.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7176914
The problem is, it makes every creature a conditional pinger. Conditional pingers are, at its cheapest, two mana for a 1/1, and only in red. They're generally 3 mana, or even more mana if they have nice effects (see Niv-Mizzet). For comparison, the card that comes closest to your card is Flame Fusillade. It gives ALL permanents unconditional ping, but it's only until end of turn, and only at sorcery-speed - it's especially the latter that makes it completely inferior. If it costs 4 mana (of which one is red) to do a mostly inferior trick once, being able to repeat this trick for just one mana per ping is quite good. There is a very good reason why Viridian Longbow costs 3 to equip - and again, that's sorcery-speed. Do not underestimate the power of giving ping abilities.

>> No.7176975

>>7176914
>Withered Cherry Tree
Like you said in the previous post, the 'until end of turn' is an ambiguous position. Start the sentence with it: "Until end of turn, ~ becomes a 7/7".
I think flipping on having a certain amount of mana in your mana pool is an awesome idea, although 15 will be very hard to reach.
The advantage gained by flipping is too minor, though. You need 15 mana (you know, the amount of mana required to hardcast Emrakul) to flip it into an activatable 7/7 trampler. Compare to Dark Depths, which requires 30 mana (spread out over any number of turns, but you have to pay it rather than just have it), but outputs a 20/20 indestructible flyer. By the time you can get 15 mana in your pool, a 7/7 trampler isn't much anymore. Still, it comes into play untapped and generates mana, so I guess it can be useful in long games (such as casual multiplayer).

>>7176952
>Undefined Fantastic Object
WOTC is rather strongly against having multiple different counters on the same permanent. You can do it by combining different cards, but no card will ever place different kinds of counters on itself. Also, wall of text. If you were working for WOTC, this card would be rejected since it's just too much rules text. The mechanic itself is okay, but we've seen it before ( http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Search/Default.aspx?text=+[%22verse%20counter%22] ), just not with multiple abilities. Balance-wise it seems perfect. The colors are completely wrong for MTG, though. It's probably due to how the mechanic works in Touhou, but for MTG players it would be extremely confusing.

>> No.7176987

>>7176975
Not the anon you responded to, but you're right about the colours.

In the game that artifact is based on, red UFOs give you extra lives, green ones give you extra bombs, and blue ones give you extra points.

There is also a type of UFO that is all colours, but that artifact is already raping the colour pie hard enough.

>> No.7176996
File: 169 KB, 800x1130, portal to gensokyo.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.7177000
File: 43 KB, 375x523, Portal to Gensokyo.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.7177043

>>7176751
Considering how pitifully underpowered Kamigawa was, Gensokyo's got this one in the bag.

>> No.7177234
File: 44 KB, 375x523, Flandre Scarlet Card.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I'm just going to offer up some cards.

>> No.7177242
File: 57 KB, 375x523, Four of a Kind Card.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7177234

>> No.7177251
File: 50 KB, 375x523, Remilia Scarlet Card.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7177242
And by some, I guess I mean three.

>> No.7177528

>>7177234
Overpowered is an understatement. It's sick as-is, but if you can get it to deal non-combat damage to a player, it's fucking broken. It's also completely sick with firebreathing or shade effects. What breaks it most of all is that it's completely unpreventable, since it's a replacement effect.

You can't destroy target permanent at random. You probably mean 'destroy a random permanent other than ~'. If you can target, it's not random. That said, WOTC doesn't like choosing at random from a large pool of possibilities (see http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Search/Default.aspx?action=advanced&text=+[random]+![card] for all non-hand card randoms). The only card they've ever done this with is Grip of Chaos. Random cards have been designed before, but they were never printed because you just can't play them properly in paper magic. (They do exist in video game versions of Magic, such as Shandalar.)

>> No.7177579

>>7177242
Again, fucking broken. 1RR for a copy-token is already very, very powerful, but having it erase the legend rule is too much (last I checked, that costs 5 mana and can be undone). As if all of that isn't enough, it has REPLICATE. This card is beyond broken.

>>7177251
It's MTG's very own Yata-Garasu! There have been two fateseal cards so far. One has fateseal 1, the other has fateseal 2, but only after putting a creature on top of the library, so effectively it's a fateseal 1. Both of the fatesealers are non-repeatable effects. Did you know that MTG decks consist of 33% land, often even more? This means that one out of three cards is a land. By fatesealing 3 every turn (or, if you can give +1/+1 or more to all black creatures, fatesealing 4 or more!), you can ensure your opponent draws nothing but lands, rendering it impossible for him to get rid of the fatesealer! People hated ScepterChant, but at least that was two cards. Locking down an opponent with only one card is just too overpowered.

Also, these days it's "2B: Regenerate ~.", and both Regenerate and Suspend need to be on separate lines.

>> No.7177709

>>7177528
Grip of Chaos seems to imply that targets can be selected at random, but you're right, the templating needs a fix. Still, if you're going to play six mana for a card with no way of defending itself, it'd better be fairly decent. Between Akki Underminer and Ulamog, I don't feel that the card itself is grossly broken, just maybe undercosted by 1 or 2.

>>7177579
I'm obviously a retard for not having any reminder text on a set-specific invented keyword, but Flandre Scarlet's Card only applies if Flandre Scarlet is in play. It obviously wins you the game right if you do, barring good defenses, but creature-reliant two cards combos are easy enough to come by.

Technically if your opponent is running 1/3 lands, then he has about a 1/3 chance of topdecking three non-lands anyway. I guess I should probably drop her power down to two and make it harder to suspend her, though, but something that costs five with no relevant board impact the turn it comes down is generally an extremely risky choice to include anyway.

>> No.7177716

>>7177709
Also, nobody played Heatshimmer.

>> No.7177869
File: 25 KB, 223x310, Rorix Bladewing..jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7177716
You're right. I guess I overestimated the card. 1RR copy-token by itself isn't all that powerful. Still, just tacking on replicate would make it dangerous.

>>7177709
As for the keyword...my memory's a bit rusty, so I don't know the terminology anymore, but there's actual abilities such as 'deathtouch' and there are words that indicate abilities but are not abilities by themselves such as 'sweep' and 'radiance'. To separate the former from the latter, you must always print the reminder text of the ability on the card if you use an alternate cost, otherwise it could be read as if it were an effect that always applies (see alternate cost morph cards - they always have reminder text).

>Flandre Scarlet
People like the combination of flying + haste, since it usually comes out of nowhere and is therefore not blocked ("he doesn't have any flyers, so I don't need to leave any flying blockers"). This means that the moment it hits the table, the opponent is generally bound to sacrifice three permanents. Then, in subsequent turns, if he doesn't find a solution immediately and doesn't have flying chump blockers, it'll cost him at least 3 permanents per turn (since you're playing red, you can probably give Flandre firebreathing or a similar effect - which would mean sacrificing 9 permanents in the second turn, if you spend all of your mana). It's like an early Eldrazi whose 'annihilator' can be inflated.

Also remember that there are more formats than standard/extended/legacy/vintage. Especially the multiplayer formats tend to be a whole lot slower, so the game isn't over yet by turn 7. Although you can print powerful cards at 6 CMC, printing a card this close to 'I win' is quite a blow to slower formats.

>> No.7177944
File: 34 KB, 223x310, Consecrated Sphinx.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7177869
Not that WOTC pays much attention to multiplayer formats...seems Mind's Eye sucked so much in multiplayer (it didn't) they had to print a much more powerful version! It can be killed like any other creature, but if it isn't killed in the turn it's cast, it nets the controller [2 * amount of opponents] cards. Fuck you, WOTC. Fuck you.

>> No.7177988
File: 36 KB, 201x290, bullshit colossus.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7177944
Why does Phyrexia get all the cool cards?

>> No.7178016

>>7177869
All those are ability cards, but Flandre Scarlet's Card is a keyword, like Threshold is. Or rather, old Threshold was, since WoTC basically did it's best to phase out all keywords of that type in favor of ability words and changed Threshold to be an ability word instead.

>formats
Yeah, even if her cost is lifted she breaks limited in half pretty hardcore. Fortunately (as a side effect anyway) they printed mythic rares so you don't have to worry about it quite as much, seeing how easily she dies. I'm actually less worried about multiplayer since with Flandre on the table, you can only hit one person at the cost of being the table's public enemy no. 1. I still don't want to remove haste, though, because I'm pretty sure that would actually push into the awesome-but-jank folder, as any six mana 3/3 with no protection or CiP effects would probably be.

>> No.7178028

>>7178016
I guess it's reasonable if the 'sacrifice three permanents' is static rather than being pased on power, and it doesn't have the 'invest a lot of mana: you may or may not win the game instantly, decided at random'.

>> No.7178051

MtG expert here.

MtG sucks.

>> No.7178128
File: 41 KB, 375x523, Subterranean Sun.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.7178298
File: 286 KB, 375x523, Okuu.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.7178442
File: 71 KB, 312x445, Zetsubou Angel.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7178128
Oh boy, another Wrath of God clone, this time in a color that totally doesn't fit. Also, WOTC is trying to phase out "it can't be regenerated".

>>7178298
"Destroy target permanent" is not at all red. It's a white/black combination ability.

>>
Name
Subject
Comment
Action