[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/jp/ - Otaku Culture

View post   

File: 71 KB, 454x495, 1238186527662.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
7149924 No.7149924 [Reply] [Original]

The trouble I'm finding with VNs is that they involve a much greater time investment than anime or manga, and I'm finding it difficult to choose what to get into before everyone's already been talking about it for years.

How do you screen a VN before you get into it? Does it just come down to the grace of throwing darts and hoping for the best?

>> No.7149929

I chose them by knowing what to expect by seeing discussion about it. Also you can look up VNs by time required on VNDB

>> No.7149938

I go to /a/ and ask for recommendations.

>> No.7149939

Same as I do with books. Read the synopsis and if it's relevant to my interests, give it a try.
Checking what other people think about it helps too, but I find that a lot of the time what you find amazing is not that popular. If you guide yourself by word of mouth alone there's a lot you could ignore that would be really interesting to you.

>> No.7149948

Pretty much. I usually download a random VN after reading a little bit about its plot. It really feels like a shot in the air.

>> No.7149958
File: 22 KB, 250x400, 1229389652530.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7149929

Yeah but I'm not really complaining about VNs being too long in general. Just that they're harder to screen than anime, which you can watch a few minutes of and figure out if it's for you, or manga, which you can read through a chapter out of a volume and get a good feel for it, before committing to the whole series.

It's much more difficult with a VN. It's harder to tell just from screenshots if the thing is some low-budget nukige garbage or a fucking diamond-in-the-rough Tsukihime. You can read the plot summary, but those always sound fucking weird and it isn't really the major plot elements which decide whether a story is written well or not (it's not like I care whether the setting is in outer goddamn space or a totally mundane small town high school).

I'm finding it's a lot harder to figure out what you're getting into until you've already gotten too far into it as is. It seems like popularity and discussion are pretty much the only real reliable form of screening.

>> No.7149966

Read a bunch of reviews.

>> No.7149969

When I was limited to translated ones I just went through everything. Now that I can read Japanese I either pick random ones that are well regarded, or random ones that catch my attention for extremely minor reasons. I've been lucky so far. I don't like looking at plot summaries or reviews because I like going into something not really knowing what to expect.

>> No.7149984

There are few ways I find things. One is just I read synopsis and if it sounds what I like might check it out, sometimes for more obscure titles its shot in the dark but have gotten few good hits this way too. But I often couple this with what I have heard of titles and if its well received usually it'll end up being good. One other way is I listen to other peoples recommendations who I know have similar tastes with me, that way I often good reads too.

>> No.7149997
File: 41 KB, 336x400, 1232066611244.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7149969

>Now that I can read Japanese

Hah, well I guess it could be a lot worse. You definitely have the selection part way harder than I do.

Enjoy F/HA, jerkface.

>> No.7149999

The trick is to have nothing better to do so it won't matter if you "waste" your time.

>> No.7150014

>>7149997
>Enjoy F/HA, jerkface.
>Enjoy F/HA
>greentext

>> No.7150017

>>7150014

Can't be any worse than Kagetsu Tohya.

>> No.7150286
File: 1.23 MB, 1400x1900, jpRecommendationsNewToVNs.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

As far as story-driven VNs are concerned, I mostly just read whatever /jp/ is talking about.
The one exception so far was Ayakashi, which caught my eye because of the music and artwork.

As for nukige, I just fap to whatever has art/characters that I like (I know Japanese, so no language barrier there)

>>
Name
Subject
Comment
Action