[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/jp/ - Otaku Culture

View post   

File: 31 KB, 313x471, Bookof5Rings.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
686 No.686 [Reply] [Original]

Discuss.

>> No.907
File: 160 KB, 303x475, 1203486037778.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>850
I think there are better books for that.
easily the most pretentious thing I've ever read, but it does a good job explaining japanese aesthetics and mindsets. much better for it than Gorin no sho

>> No.703

I haven't read it yet, but I wanted to.

I think there's a copy at my school's bookstore that's a bargain book. I might pick it up.

>> No.721

very interesting.... but a very strange read... Since its all in very short stories that really have no connection to each other except the whole how to be a good samurai and serve your lord thing....

>> No.729

Shogun was teh better.

>> No.806

>>729
Please! Jim Clavell A white dude witting about Japaneses culture. Its like an Arab trying to write a sit com. It may be good to the Arabs, but not in the US.

5 Rings, great book.

>> No.850

>>806
Try reading with your eyes. It's entertaining, which is what it was written for.
>>729
You may be a troll, and that's okay. If you ask me, Shogun is a NOVEL and Book of Five Rings is a memoir
>>686
I'm no savant, but it really gives insight to a lot of Japanese tendencies and beliefs. I also understand a lot of anime better.

>> No.968

Art of War is infinitely superior, both as a read and as a strategic tactical guide.

>> No.992

>>907
I have this book for my History of Japanese Art class, but I doubt the professor is ever going to make us read it. Is it worth opening?

>> No.1005

>>907
Yeah, it is pretty fucking pretentious, huh?

>> No.1067

>>850
True, and when I read it I did enjoy it. However comparing 5 Rings to Shogun is inappropriate, they're not even in the same league.

Shogun was written for people who knew little or nothing about Japaneses culture, much like Memoirs of a Geisha. 5 Rings on the other hand is about an individuals place with in Japaneses society.

Now a comparison to the Analects of Confucius or the Three Kingdoms...

>> No.1148

>>1067
I enjoy that this thread has at least brought people who can at least pose as thinkers into this board. This is not an insult, but a legitimate compliment. Maybe there's hope for 4chan yet?

>> No.1148,1 [INTERNAL] 

k-konahayameni

>>
Name
Subject
Comment
Action