[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/jp/ - Otaku Culture

View post   

File: 204 KB, 955x686, hikikomori.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
6811156 No.6811156 [Reply] [Original]

Hello /jp/ or more specifically, former-neets.

Over the past few years I have become more and more reclusive. I was an honor student in highschool, and accepted to a solid University. I started to slip when I entered my secondary education.

Classes started to feel pointless, the very idea of getting out of my room and walking (or even driving) to class was sickening every day. I would stare at all the homework and studying I have to do but it would end up never being started. I started to skip classes, coming up with vague excuses like a family death or personal sickness, until I eventually just stopped going to class altogether.

Of course I failed, so I came back to my disappointed parents, who put me to work to help me realize that going back to college is the only way to be successful in life.

Work started out difficult but steady. However it only took me a few months before I was so sick of it that it turned into a living nightmare. 40 hours a week to do mundane tasks... getting up in the morning was a tormenting chore.

I almost made it a full year before I quit my job. To lessen the stress of my parents being on my case all the time, I grabbed a few classes that have transferable credits at a nearby community college, but I eventually ended up skipping out on those too.

Its been a few months since I've been a complete neet and the very idea of going back to school or a job scares me. I have no confidence that I can last.

What have you done to cure yourself of this horrendous thought process. What did you have to do before you were able to "suck it up"?

>> No.6811168

I might be going through that process soon. If I fail my next semester I'll just leave home, I absolutely refuse to live working minimum wage for the rest of my life.

>> No.6811170

I've spent 5 years doing absolutely nothing until I realized I didn't want to live like that anymore.

Of course, no one has the same luck as I do. That is, to have an accepting and caring mother, and having dropped out in the first year of highschool. So I'm still relatively young, 19.

>> No.6811182

OP here

>>6811170

Does it just come to you or something?
I've tried throwing myself back into the education/work field a few times and every time I only last a few months before my motivation goes back down and I'm fucking up before I know it.

>> No.6811205

>former-neets

Once you go NEET, you never go back.

>> No.6811211

>>6811182
It just comes to you, someday. The depressing thought of wasting the potential of the only life you will ever have is too much of a burden.

Humanity, this planet, our solar system and even our universe will end, someday. I'm not rich, but I'm not poor. I'm not the healthiest person, but I don't have cancer. I don't want my mother to die with me being a failure, after she spent so much money and effort on me. I don't want to waste this miraculous and completely random chance that is the fact I'm living.

There are also things I want to do and fight for. I want to write books for the legalization of 2D loli in western societies, the importance of freedom of speech, net neutrality, etc. I just can't keep on living like this.

Not living like a NEET anymore doesn't mean I have to become a total normalfag. I'm having to improve my social skills, and actually do things I don't want to, but this was to be expected.

Honestly, I'm too ashamed to say what made me realize I didn't want to live like a "true NEET" anymore, but try watching things that may make you wonder about your life. Remember to take it easy, someday, maybe, you will just happen to get tired of it and find a motivation.

I'm sorry for the blog posts, and /jp/ may call me a normalfag now. I also wish you good luck, OP.

>> No.6811225

OP, you will be more motivated once you start realizing that being a NEET can become boring too. You need to find a career that will entertain you. My philosophy was that university classes can be horribly boring sometimes, but its only a temporary inconvenience before I can do more entertaining stuff. The alternative is that I would be stuck in a horribly boring job for the rest of my life. If you think of it that way, 4 years of boring education doesn't seem so bad. It's up to you, however, to figure out what you may be interested in pursuing.

>> No.6811226

That's the same thing that happened to me. Only I didn't work after failing out, went to a community college immediately afterward, and passed those classes. I'm still enrolled there and have a plan to get my life back on track. The main reason I felt like failing was because I felt disconnected from the people and the work. My saving grace was my dad. Back when I failed my bank account was overdrawn and I felt like everything was closing in on me. My dad then took $50 dollars from his wallet and gave it to me for my bank. He then offered to pay for my community college courses. It made me feel like shit but like I wanted to prove myself to my parents. Like I wanted to become something great to make them proud. Everything else can go to hell but I won't disappoint them again.

>> No.6811243

>>6811225
Enjoy being ridden with debt.

The cheapest way OP, is to sneak into Community College to get the cheaper classes and the prerequisites then go into University for the class that your degree will actually matter in. You'll save a lot of money and nobody will ever know.

>> No.6811252

>>6811211
>>6811225
>>6811226
Not OP but I have realized the same things to no avail. I guess I'll have to get rid of depression first since it's hard to find motivation for anything if you don't even care much for being alive.

>> No.6811254

You're afraid of failure. That's your problem. Not trying in the first place is worse than failing, though.

>> No.6811256

>>6811225
That's an awful way of thinking. That's just living the way the system wants us to live.
Listen to this short video from Alan watts and matt/trey
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ERbvKrH-GC4

>> No.6811257

I worked for 4 whole months after I decided to stop being a NEET. That was all I could take really.

It's been 3 years since then.

I wish you the best OP, maybe you got what it takes.

>> No.6811267

You'll get your shit together when your parents kick you out. Or you'll die. No loss either way.

>> No.6811277

>>6811252
Find good friends in the internet.

Talk to and trust them. Play online games with them. Love them. Everything will get better.

If you have problems finding one, I can be yours too.

>> No.6811285

I can't take it easy knowing that my life is going to shit, so it's actually less soul-crushing for me to work on getting an education, than it is to just do nothing and know that some day my luck will run out and I will be forced to find a horrible job with lousy pay and barely get by.

>> No.6811291

I was a NEET after highschool. Meant to go to a famous University in my state, got cold feet, turned down a full ride scholarship, stayed as a shut in for a year.

Now I'm in my third semester of University at a different place, no scholarship, tons of loans, and majoring in medicine in hopes of it both giving me a job and paying off my loans if I graduate.

I miss being a NEET, though. I could spend all my time doing exactly what I enjoyed, except violin playing because I don't have a violin anymore. College feels the same as highschool: boring, rote, with me doing my studies for the sake of getting a good grade for the sake of getting a good job for the sake of getting money. It all feels so empty. I even failed my first class (in my life!) last semester with a 69 because I never did the homework, flunked the tests, and half-assedly crammed the quizzes. All due to complete and utter lack of motivation. Which is a pretty good grade for all that, mind, but it's still a failure, and my parents don't know about it, though they probably wouldn't care.

I know I could change things, make things interesting in my college life, but I don't think it'd be for the better. I could go make friends with my classmates, or with random people in the cafeteria, and we could laugh and spend time together, we could go party, or could study together; something to spice my life here up, but none of that feels attractive at all. I prefer being alone, after all, and it wouldn't do anything for my disinterest in a student's life, nor in a working life.

As it is, I'm going to go back to University again this semester. Maybe I won't fail a class due to having no motivation to do the homework, quizzes, and tests.

>> No.6811299

>>6811252
Also, ask your family for help.

They're there for it.

Whether it is because you're their genetic offspring, or simply because they want to see you doing well, just keep your pride and/or anxiety away and ask them for it. You can do it if everyone works together.

>> No.6811304
File: 193 KB, 800x600, 1294780502744.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>this thread
cheer up faggots, quit being selfish.

>> No.6811306

>>6811291
You plan to study medicine with that attitude and those grades?
Are you me?

>> No.6811321

How you all be so lonely when your brothers on /jp/ are here for you?

>> No.6811330

Used to be in the same boat, Burn out happens to everyone, especially when most of your life up to this point has been managed for you. What turned me around finally was the realization that I had to go at my own pace, and not anyone else's. Consider and reconsider all options, academic, professional, or otherwise. You're the protagonist of your own story. Organize your life and schedule around your own needs, Enjoy music you like,and perhaps the occaisional recreational drug. Find a creative outlet or hobby and pursue it to your fullest potential with others who may share the same passion. I enjoy biking and photography. Take a purely fun class or workshop at your community college. Join a club or see events in the city. Set out some time to travel, see the world and do things that are fun. Create your own incentives and goals. Take pride in your accomplishments however small they may seem. Move out of your folks house when you're ready.

>> No.6811333

I also forgot to mention another thing that motivates me is /jp/.

Even if it sounds very strange, I love you guys. I don't care your bitterness. I can relate to the people here, and it is the only place I can call home.

If I ever get rich any day, I will help all of you. I want to see every single anon from here doing well. Most of you are either far too intelligent or too pure/sensitive to just die like that.

>> No.6811334

>>6811321
Because I can't receive a hug from you guys.

>> No.6811337

>>6811299
It's worth a try, but recognize that some people have parents that don't particularly give a shit about them, in a you-failed-to-be-successful-so-we'll-just-pretend-you-don't-exist-now way.

>> No.6811339

>>6811330
Good advice, but it doesn't change the fact that I need a job.

>> No.6811347

OP (and whoever else), you just need to know what it is that you like to do. Everyone this side of being comatose has things they like to do. And everything that can be enjoyed can be turned into a productive career. I don't necessarily mean a well-paying career, but at the end of the day it's still about enjoying what you do when it's time to get up in the morning.

>> No.6811350

>>6811339
You can have mine. It's soul-crushingly dull and pays shit. My coworkers are the worst scum you can possibly imagine.
Do you still want it?

>> No.6811352

>>6811334
With all of the borderline hookup/trap threads ive seen, im pretty sure you could get more than a hug.

>> No.6811357

>>6811350
Who the hell said anything about wanting?

>> No.6811361

>>6811357
That's the spirit.

>> No.6811362

>>6811330
>You're the protagonist of your own story.
I don't think this way of thinking is necessarily that healthy. I thought like that for a long time, believing that I had to make my life follow some kind of perfect storyline somehow, that I had to do something amazing, like becoming a criminal or becoming famous. It felt amazing when I realized that it was bullshit to think this way and I could just focus on making my life one worth living, rather than one worth spectating on.

>> No.6811363

>>6811347

Everything I like is pretty much either not a career, something that seems awesome but is actually hell, or something I can't learn because I'm stupid.

>> No.6811366

>>6811362
Being a criminal is pretty easy.

>> No.6811372

>>6811339
Don't get locked into a job you hate or with people you can't stand. Drop it as soon as you find a better opportunity. Take a smaller academic courseload or consider evening classes. I changed programs and dropped classes repeatedly until I finally found a schedule I could work with. Always be flexible in your approach to life and have multiple backup plans. Visualize where you want to be and take care of yourself physically, mentally, and emotionally.

>> No.6811370

>>6811363
Story of my life.

Do you know what you should do?
I got no idea.;_;

>> No.6811375

>>6811370

If I fail college I'm going to be a traveler I guess. I like to walk around aimlessly, and I'd rather not be stuck in minimum wage hell.

>> No.6811378

>>6811362
Don't think of it in a self-centered sense (the universe revolves around me), but as a pro-active one where you are in control and making the decisions instead of letting shit happen to you.

>> No.6811379

>>6811366
I was thinking of an adventurous life of crime. Like being a cat burglar or a hitman. That was seriously my ambitions for a while, simply because it seemed really cool.

>> No.6811380

>>6811277
I have plenty of internet socials, some go back 6 years or more. In the end I solve more of their problems and none of them really care for mine. Thanks for the offer though.

>>6811299
I did and they responded odd to say the least. My parents went into out-right denial and pretty much ditched the subject asap.

>> No.6811382

>>6811378
I think I missed a flag somewhere.

>>Bad End.

>> No.6811384

>>6811156
To answer your question, I had to stop caring. Once I realized that success in school and a job are not linked to how I define myself as a person, it became a lot easier to do things unrelated to my /jp/ related hobbies.

I haven't had to change myself at all; I've just changed how I thought about my situation.

>> No.6811386

I work at home. My paycheck often gets added to my bank account, which I can access from the laundry room in my apartment complex. Gets boring from time to time, but that is when I break out the legos.

>> No.6811391

>>6811379
I think a lot of /jp/ would take to life in the military or some other regimented, purposeful existence. If the military consisted of 2D catgirls, at least.

>> No.6811396

>>6811391
>military
>purposeful
Please don't start this again.

>> No.6811397

>>6811375
I have a grandfather (I think he's my grandfather) like that.

His daughter, my mother, hates him, naturally, but always has a wry smile on when she gets a birthday card (a few days late) from New Mexico, or Maryland, or Oregon. He's a dictionary definition vagrant, from what I hear, though I've never seen him to my memory.

>> No.6811404

>>6811363
I had that issue for a while. My theory is that the best solution is to find a middle-ground, something that you think you can enjoy somewhat and make decent money from. It doesn't have to be something amazing that will make life into an awesome game, jobs like that don't exist. You shouldn't think like "I enjoy games, so I should become a game developer". You should consider more along the lines of what subjects in school you found less boring than others and found stimulating to work with, and then consider what careers get a lot of use out of that subject.

The problem is that I have yet to test out this. But I think my way of thinking makes sense. It will suck if you just go for something that seems fun and you can't make much money of it, and it will suck if you just go for something that you can make lots of money off but is boring as hell, so it makes sense to go for something that is decently fun and makes decent money.

>> No.6811406

>>6811396
Emptyquoting is not an argument.

>> No.6811412

>>6811397

I see. I've always admired the life of the traveling heroes that would go from place to place and fix whatever was broken, so that's part of the reason I'd like to leave. I guess another is that I feel chained down. Whether I get a job after college, a minimum wage job or go into the military, I feel as if my parents picked my own path for me, and it seems as if walking around and finding my own stories to tell would be a way to break free from that.

>> No.6811417

>>6811412
That seems fun, but I recommend watching Aria before you do.

>> No.6811430

As long as you're debt-free, the sky is the limit.

>> No.6811432

Do something that you really like, even if it's unusual, at least it's something.
Indie programming, music, drawing, etc

2 of my best friends dropped uni and went to an art school (for photography, digital design, web design and such)
They finished in 2 years, and they're now working. One of them has a rented house and the other is going to have one soon.

Giving that people who visit this kind of board are probably the intelligent or creative ones, it's something you guys should try.

Fuck the standard "study a random thing, fail /get shitty job", do what you enjoy.
Personally, I'm studying psychology, and I'm very satisfied with it.

>> No.6811436

>>6811432
6/10

>> No.6811438
File: 362 KB, 600x450, MUSHISHI.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

God, grant me the serenity
To accept the things I cannot change;
Courage to change the things I can;
And wisdom to know the difference.

>> No.6811443

Being a NEET is shitty. After letting my grades slip in college and then NEETing for 5 months, all I wanted to do was go back to school. School is still mundane and stressful, but I don't want to have that feeling of being a useless parasite again.

>> No.6811446

I went through the same thing.
I moved out of state to go to an art college. I really believed I had my heart set into it.

And I did well. The teachers liked my work.
But there was one class that I started to skip, because I could never keep up with the work. What took everyone else 3 hours, would take me 8+ hours (this was woodworking, which I had absolutely no skill in).
I started to skip my other classes to make up work for this one class. Except, when I did this, I never worked. I'd take it out, I'd leave it on the floor, and just wouldn't do it.

I fell behind in all of my other classes when I started doing this. I'd do all of the final pieces last minute, and barely scraped by. I ended up failing two classes for it, though. I never made excuses for myself, either. I'm horrible at lying.
But I really just stopped caring. It didn't stress me out, I didn't freak out, I would just sleep in for up to 15 hours at a time. Didn't want to move. Wouldn't even get up to eat.

I'm getting better now, anyway. I was employed for a short period (and laid off for some garbage reason, but still looking for another part-time job), and I'm back in school and actually doing well.

Just stay motivated, OP. Take 4 classes at a time at some community college until you get into the swing of things. Don't overwork yourself because you'll only fall into the same rut.

>> No.6811447

>>6811391
Being in the military is like the exact opposite of being a NEET. Structured, demanding, requires you to get along with a lot of people, requires discipline, etc. On one hand, it might be the push you need to get out of the NEET lifestyle, but on the other hand, it might send you into a shock and trigger suicidal depression. Trust me on this, it's an absolutely horrifying experience unless you're willing and ready to give everything and have absolutely no regrets turning your back on your previous life.

>> No.6811449

>>6811404
I enjoyed my cooking class back in grade 8, particularly the fact that, though I was a picky fuck who hated the very food I cooked, there was a girl in the class who praised me for my cooking after eating it.

Since then, I've wanted to be a househusband.
Odd, childhood experiences...

>>6811443
But if the feeling of being a parasite wasn't there, you'd enjoy it, right?

>> No.6811456

>>6811412
There's always the Peace Corps or similar organizations. Or the old standby of teaching English overseas for a while. It seems like jobs of that nature would only be appealing to people more extroverted than your average /jp/ NEET, but I'm sure we have all kinds here.

Hell, even freelance programming allows you to do your job from wherever you happen to be in the world on a given day. Unlike the options above, the pay can be pretty good.

>> No.6811457

>>6811449
>househusband
This is the perfect lifestyle for /jp/, too bad 3D girls suck so much

>> No.6811465

Is the reason why you're so sick of education or work because you feel it's not something worth doing?

I used to and still think that College education right now is complete shit; and I go to one of the supposedly best public colleges. All you do is buy the damn books the catalogue says, listen to the lecturer a few hours every week, and maybe sometimes turn in some random shit they give us. Of course, college requires you to make effort outside on your own, but the lack of enthusiasm from teachers sometimes just don't help motivate you at all.

The way I motivate myself to continue is kind of pathetic, really. I don't think I'm worth anything, and that's why I feel like I need to at least finish college and get an okay job; I want to at least be able to (partially) repay the people who put up time and money for a piece of shit like me. I don't even have time to think about stuff like "this shit is mundane"; why should I get the right to complain? Do I think I'm so conceited that I should get to make choices in my life? The fact that I'm still alive even after all the failures I have made makes it even worse; all the resources I have wasted that could gone to other people...if I die or become a neet right now, they become nothing. You could say that if you stop trying now, you stop wasting; but that's complete bullshit, even in death you're going to waste other people's time and money; you have a funeral, there's processes with legal people, shit happens, emotional scars for people who don't deserve to have them.

Also, stop masturbating so much. Life is mundane most of the time, and you need to go find the stuff that's exciting if you want to maintain a certain level of living. Masturbating is just a really quick way to do drain your motivation towards anything.

>> No.6811470

>>6811449
>But if the feeling of being a parasite wasn't there, you'd enjoy it, right?
Definitely. If I hit the lottery then I would become an instant NEET.

>> No.6811476

You could be like Pat Rothfuss, spend 8 (or was it 10?) years as an undergraduate, use Stafford loans as a means of subsidizing your life, write a doorstopper fantasy series that's pretty much a thinly veiled roman a clef/nerd wish-fulfillment thing, get published and be a successful neckbeard at 30.

>> No.6811483

>>6811470
that way of thinking is a trap, though; because you'll probably never suddenly become rich from doing practically nothing. It's wishful thinking.

>> No.6811486

>>6811457
Isn't it?

I want to greet my wife with a warm meal and back massage when she gets home from work, after spending the day making sure the house is dustfree and clean.

>> No.6811495

>>6811456
>Or the old standby of teaching English overseas for a while.

You need a degree to teach English anywhere that isn't Honduras.

>>6811396

Like it or not, the military is a purposeful entity, and /jp/ would probably do relatively well by signing up. PT and the regimented diet would do wonders for everyone's mood, and the friendships you make in the military can completely change the way you view humanity.

That being said, the military is unparalleled in its ability to make you feel like a microscopic cog in an enormous machine.

>> No.6811492

>>6811456

I'm looking more into a solo thing, walking alone and wandering around without a care in the world. Walking with nowhere in mind really calms me down for some reason. I'd probably have to do a bit of work to keep funds up, but I wouldn't mind it.

>> No.6811490

>>6811483
Iunno, if I hadn't had to loan my parents the $5k I'd saved up to buy GOOG IPO stock, I would've ended up pretty comfortable for no work (aside from earning the $5k).

>> No.6811511

>>6811495
>/jp/ would probably do relatively well

Getting screamed at constantly.
Forced to be around countless men and women who look like men
Regulated and slow internet
Can't look at loli anymore
Can't look at traps anymore
Can't play eroge anymore

Seems more like a mandatory, high-intensive therapy, like those camps they sent gay children to in order to cure them.

The other guy was right. Military is the polar opposite of NEET.
Joining the military is like wanting to eat more vegetables, so you go on a strict vegan-only diet.

>> No.6811535

There are some militaryfags here for some reason. That's why the other anon was saying to not start this shit again (that means he is probably the anarchic NEET anon who leeches from the government on purpose).

The military is shit. Stop advertising it here just because you like it. There are only normalfags who used to bully you at school and moralfag fucks who want to ban 2D loli from the face of the world there. Besides, joining the military is killing for the system that spits on you, the one who is not part of the normal sheeple.

But let's stop derailing the thread.

>> No.6811560

>>6811535
Nope, I have a job and pay taxes. The other anarchist hasn't been posting for awhile. I disagreed on a lot of things with him, but I wonder what hes up to.

>> No.6811832

>>6811156

Oh look, it's this thread again.

I'm a social misfit high school dropout, so I have no idea how I did it... I suppose aside from the constant urgings of my family to do something with my life, somewhere deep inside I did want to be financially independent. It took more than 10 years and quite a few false starts, but I eventually pulled myself out of that go-nowhere life.

I suppose if my parents were rich and didn't care, my motivations for getting my act together would have been severely diminished, but we were dirt poor trailer trash... I had to do something.

In before Sudo shows up and says to get on SSI.

>> No.6811982

OP here again, thanks for all the input.

My situation here is that I'm really trying to put myself in there but I tend to fail every time.

Well, working in shitty 7.25/hr conditions at fast food with a douche boss tires anyone within a few months. I tried working at a factory as well, but the physical labor was too much for me, as I literally could not keep up. I didn't think they LITERALLY meant "able to lift 30 pounds constantly". I can lift 30 pounds easily, just not once every 5 seconds for 8 hours a day for 40 hours a week.

My bosses have all complemented me on being a hard worker. I give it my all to keep a strong outward appearance, but on the inside I'm always so sick of it, and can only count down the seconds until I'm out.

I definitely have goals and dream jobs, which would make working far less of a hassle. The problem is that I gotta go through college for these jobs. The problem with college is that there is this 1~2 year period where entry level classes are so mundane that I can't stop myself from feeling this incredibly strong urge to skip.

If I could have some sort of motivator that I could constantly reward myself with, I could maybe get past that initial step where I feel like attending Introduction to Object Oriented Programming or English 110 doesn't feel like a complete waste of time.

>> No.6812007

OP again to comment on the whole "military" thing.

Military is not an option. It embodies everything I cannot stand. Not that I'm trying to fit the /jp/ stereotype, but I "take it easy" with life. I was raised in a very sheltered environment and there are just too many things that I could not handle.

The ONLY physical activity I ever stuck with was Taekwondo. I took it for years. In my time in Korea I actually went to a Taekwondo camp to try to take it a step further, but the instructors were all 6+ degrees and they made the camp military style. I'm still traumatized by some of those events, and it actually prevents me from doing some things today.

I understand what the argument behind the military thing is. It probably works out great for some people too. But its also got that risk factor where things just get worse.

>> No.6812022

>>6811982
>The problem with college is that there is this 1~2 year period where entry level classes are so mundane that I can't stop myself from feeling this incredibly strong urge to skip.
Is there a counselor you could talk to about this? I don't know if they could help but it might be worth a shot.

>> No.6812034

>>6811982
There's one thing you could do. Sit down and make a list of what motivates you. And while you're at it, put down the thing that demotivate you too. When you feel you got a good overview over it, you can start thinking of how you can use these as tools to achieve your goals better.

I think many people don't consider their motivations that much and end up just waiting for it to be randomly triggered, or unconsciously dwelling on demotivating thoughts. When you have reflected a little more on it, you'll have better chances of making it working in your favor, whether it's about making reward systems for yourself or simply thinking the right thoughts.

>> No.6812063
File: 174 KB, 717x533, 6.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

The problem is that you have parents as a safety net. My only living family consists of my Grandmother and an Aunt. I wasn't going to allow myself to leech off of them so I picked up and moved far away (opposite side of the country). Sure, I racked up some debt via credit cards during my move, but it wasn't hard.

You aren't gonna learn how to swim unless you toss yourself in a river.

>> No.6812082

>>6812063
Saving the world from a possibly incestous megalomaniac psychic is one thing, but if I saw a talking turtle give me recent news upon waking up, I'd probably have a heart attack.

>> No.6812084

I did the same thing with university, started missing classes all the time and hiding in my dorm. My roommate transferred after my first semester, so I was basically a shut-in. I failed, and came back home. I started to work two years ago, and have made my way into a position with a modest but livable salary. I want to go back to college, but even though I've been able to work I have a feeling that I would still fail. I don't even know what I'd even want to study, really.

The alternative I've considered for a while is learning languages on my own. The company I work for was acquired last week by a large corporation with international branches, so I intend to follow up on this.

>> No.6812131

I spent the first 2 years of uni not doing anything productive, not going to class, failing and doing drugs with friends, I was worthless

than it slowly dawned on me how boring and unfullfilling my life could become if I didn't take my studies seriously. Id dissapoint myself and my family by becoming a leech, I didn't want that.

So I sucked it up, started studying everyday, got off weed and coke, brown-nosed everyone in a higher position than me, fronted like I was hot shit in a suit, and got my degree in finance with a job waiting. Its soul-sucking and demanding and not my favorite subject, and leaves me little time for my eroge and toohoo, but atleast im making money and can help my friends and family when they need something and dont feel like a "loser".

I wouldn't have chosen this route, but i gave in to the system and froze over everything in my soul that told me this is bullshit. sorry guys im a traitor, but thats life.

>> No.6812140

>>6812131
And this is why everyone in finance is soulless and evil.

>> No.6812203

Former NEET huh?
oh /jp/, what have you become.

>> No.6813824

>>6811256
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXmz605GAnc

>> No.6814149

Protip: If you choose to stop being a NEET, you either get a dead-end job that you hate, or you go back to school and get a decent paying job afterwards.

So yeah, try HARD to go back to school. It's infinitely more rewarding than being paid min wage.
If you got some psychological issues, talk to a counsellor and they'll give you a grant that basically allows you to go to school for free. Take advantage of all the financial help you can get.
I was a NEET for years, finally got my shit together, and am now doing my undergrad fully paid. I still don't interact with people and spend most of my time alone, but fuck it, I feel more fulfilled at the end of the day.

>> No.6814184

>>6812203
Unless you can get on disability (which is extremely difficult,) one can only NEET for so long until one must go back into EET or die.

>> No.6814489

>> No.6814696

>>6814184
Yeah I acknowledge that that's completely true. I guess that timer ran up for some of /jp/, I can understand. It will run out for me as well soon enough. Let's mature together /jp/, but always remember to take it easy as well.

>>
Name
Subject
Comment
Action