[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/jp/ - Otaku Culture

View post   

File: 130 KB, 800x540, faith up.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
6718037 No.6718037 [Reply] [Original]

I looked all through the board for a Mahjong thread, and couldn't find one, so:

Does anyone know of a riichi Mahjong variant for 2-players? Specifically, one that preserves chii.

I think just removing the Characters suit would be a good start, right?

Is it really needed to limit the # of discards needed till the end of the hand? Because if you just played until all the wall was discarded with 2 players, would just make high-value hands more viable, but not completely upset the balance of the game, right?

>> No.6718047

Most of those strip mahjong games use a 2 player variant of some sort. No idea how it translates to real tiles.

>> No.6718321

I hear Filipino mahjong can scale from 2-4 players. Then again, it uses 16-tile hands instead of 13-tile hands.

>> No.6718475

Just have each player play with two hands, and alternatively take turns what hand they're playing with.

>> No.6718560

>>6718475

I thought about that. But that seems way too abusable in that you could purposely "feed" your discards into letting your other hand win.

>> No.6718581

There are two ways to play two player japanese mahjong
The "Ten" way, which is fucking awesome and hardcore. Both players need to be very good at the game sadly everyone I play with in real life is not motivated enough to learn all the hands and their values. Lazy fucks.

The "pretend" way
>>6718475

>> No.6718605

>>6718581
>The "Ten" way, which is fucking awesome and hardcore. Both players need to be very good at the game sadly everyone I play with in real life is not motivated enough to learn all the hands and their values. Lazy fucks.

Do you have a link to an explanation of this?

>> No.6718647

Is there anyone else who feels Mahjong wouldn't really be hurt as a game if there weren't any yakuman?

Maybe it's just because I like to play mahjong in a cold, calculating way but I think those high-luck hands are distracting.

>> No.6718709

>>6718647
Playing in the dan room for over 2 years I have seen less then 10 yakuman, and gotten 3. Their reason of existence is immense ecstasy to the player. They should stay.

If you are a retard playing 3p who gets them out his ass, fuck you, enjoy your cancer.

>>6718605
http://mahjong.wikidot.com/rules:two-player-riichi

>> No.6718746

>>6718709

I guess I prefer more "elegant" rules in games. Mahjong has a lot of fluff and fiddly bits.

>> No.6718764

>>6718709
Interesting but I hate the terminology used. Oh well.

>> No.6718867

>>6718581
>everyone I play with in real life is not motivated enough to learn all the hands and their values

How can you even play mahjong AT ALL without knowing them?

>> No.6719439

>>6718867
They KNOW them, but not at the ability needed for two player mahjong. In it you need to know the intrinsic properties of hands, and be able to see what hands and tiles people are going for by discards alone. The people I play with know the hands, but can't be assed to learn proper discard reading and mind games besides "Oh he riichi'd guess I'll deal stuff in his pond"

...I win most of the time and have never lost.

>>
Name
Subject
Comment
Action