[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/jp/ - Otaku Culture

View post   

File: 1.07 MB, 1920x1200, 1278383184231.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
6686869 No.6686869 [Reply] [Original]

Have any of you ever felt you're being driven insane by the sheer lack of logic which surrounds you?

Maybe I've just been trolled to much, but it seems like the few people I try to associate with inside of the otaku-community seriously just lack respect/manners/courtesy to no end - especially in a group or organization. This only drives me further away from even attempting social relations and closer to Hikkidom. I know it sounds retarded, and of course this doesn't apply to all anons, but I really feel like you guys are the only ones I can talk to sometimes. I'm really losing my patience with trolls and lack of any social organization.

Just need a bro to eat my curry with right now. Feel free to support or give your own tales about those who lack unbelievably common logic around you.

>> No.6686877

>attempting social relations

normalfag

>> No.6686907

only with my family
but i have already given up on trying to converse with normal people many years ago so havent had to deal with it at all

>> No.6686914

>>6686869
It's been my experience that geeks (of all types, including otaku) generally have something that sets them aside. Some reason that they couldn't find their place within the standard hierarchy that forms for most people. These people are either incapable of fitting in or reject society as a whole, and are thus disinclined to abide by the rules thrust upon them by such a society. The result is a collection of social subgroups, each with their own unique rules and customs dictated only by their members.

I call them home.

Fuck normal people, and fuck following some goddamn arbitrary set of rules. If there is a logical reason to pursue something or act a certain way, but doing so for its own sake is the height of stupidity. Unfortunately, this is the world that most people live in, a word where things are right because the people around you think they are and where one's own opinions are things to be repressed.

These people sicken me.

>> No.6686924
File: 24 KB, 637x338, kinectimals5.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6686914

why are you so quiet?
why don't you talk more?
do you ever talk?
introvert.

>> No.6686941

>Curry
That's what I had for dinner. It was thai leftovers though.

>> No.6686949

>>6686924
>introvert
welcome to /jp/

>> No.6686969

>>6686869
You gonna eat that all by yourself? Of course not.There is still social relations like this in /jp/. It's better than none. And it's WAY FUCKING BETTER than the conformity of normalfags.

>> No.6686986

>>6686869

Fuck yeah mapo tofu.
I actually tried it once and it was good stuff.

>> No.6686999
File: 45 KB, 470x264, kinectimals 22.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6686986

not as good as Kinectimals®

>> No.6687016

>>6686999
Go play kinectimals if you love them so damn much.

>> No.6687036

>>6686869
i try not to impose my own standards, values, and logic upon other people. it's pointless and does you no good.

i'm sure there's another way you could look at the people around you rather than simply calling them idiots for whatever it is they do.

in any case, the biggest problem i have with the people around me is that they just don't seem to understand(or care) about how to avoid negativity and conflict--to put it in another way, they don't value conducting comfortable human relations. a debate becomes their attempt to make me look stupid instead of an attempt at getting down to the truth, instead of simply listening to music based on whether or not they actually enjoy it, they apply their own "taste"(which is usually simply a bias) to everything and seem to have a distinct desire--for whatever reason(probably a desire for self-fulfillment)--to criticize others' music or often even their intelligence for not listening to "good music"(despite them not even being able to define exactly what makes "good music"). thanks to this, i pretty much can't enjoy any kind of music at all, at least not with any normal person; i'm tired and it's a pain in the ass trying to deal with other people's phantasmic intellectual standards.

but, i suppose i am scum with low intellect and shit taste in most anything, so it's natural that i would begin to get irritated after everyone's taken their turn at looking down on and picking fights with me, probably for the purpose of feeling like they aren't as low.

i suppose it's fun when you're not the lowest person on the ladder. i just try to use them as best i can.

>> No.6687119
File: 30 KB, 293x450, 100826.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Op here

I'm not all about making it "normalfaggotry" or what not, it's just I find power positions handled so poorly when otaku try to organize - largely because they aren't considering all sides of the spectrum, and it leaves some people out. More so, they have a tendency to either not care about what those people can offer.

Call me a normalfag I guess, but I love otaku interests and culture. However, I just see no value in turning people off to working together or for expressing opinions that others don't share. A lot of the problems I've seen come from people over-reacting or not knowing self-discipline.

Maybe I've degenerated the thread into this question: Can a productive, caring, self-disciplined anon still be an otaku or is impossible for the two to mix? I consider myself lazy and degenarate at times but I still try to make use of my free time (even if the value of that use is in competitive gaming, organizing events, or something otaku related to the aforementioned).

So am I getting fed up with otaku and am I not one of you.

A lot of times, I feel really - really - out of place. I have otaku interests, but normal fag sense of responsibility. I have nothing in common with people I feel who I find intelligible but around Otaku it's almost like "I'm not good enough" or "Hardcore enough". If I try to meet SOMEWHERE in the middle (casual fags and the like) I'm too hardcore into both doing things/being active that turns people off and/or too into otaku stuff. I know no one is the same, but it's seriously gotten to me lately. In some ways I can't even fathom a life without otaku interests, and in others I feel like pursuing them will bring me nothing. Has anyone felt something similar?

Pic related

>> No.6687122

>>6687119

OP here, minor erorr..

So am I getting fed up with otaku and am I not one of you. = So am I getting fed up with otaku and am I not one of you? Or is that I'm an otaku moreso just because I can't take solid work and make it happen with other people.

Sorry, bit tired.

>> No.6687125

典型的な中二病ですね。

お大事に。

>> No.6687126

Yes, I'm driven insane, by my term papers. 4 days till deadline.

>> No.6687129
File: 39 KB, 624x351, katawasoujo.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6687016
we r all playing kinectimals even u

>> No.6687134

>>6687119
ぬるヲタ乙w

>> No.6687137

>>6687125
おまえもな

>> No.6687151

>>6687119
From what I understand, all it is is that you look out for others and take their feelings into consideration.

I think the problem lies in the fact that you have expectations from others rather than simply accepting them for who they are. Self-discipline and over-reacting are both subjective, hence all you're saying is that they're acting in an ill-mannered way from your perspective. You should be more open minded and just accept that people are different and interact differently. Naturally you should have already expected that you'd come across people who may not be as disciplined as you wish.

You should also consider that it just might be coincidental with the group of people you hang around in particular. Maybe it's just the case that more people are what you define as "ill mannered" than usual. I think it's a bit hard to generalize it onto everyone who falls into the "otaku" group.

On a more informal and personal note, I recommend simply not going to such gatherings.

Also,

>Can a productive, caring, self-disciplined anon still be an otaku or is impossible for the two to mix?

These two are completely unrelated. I can't tell if you're misunderstanding what you're saying or if you're just trying to troll.

>> No.6687161

>>6687119
I kind of know how you feel. I'm definitely not as hardcore as alot of the people here. I've never played a VN, and both of the figurines I have were given to me. I don't try to be hardcore, though. If someone trys to say they're the bigger fan...they probably are. I simply let them win, and declare myself a causal. Still, I enjoy listening to people that are really into something talk about it and just kind of listen and pick up what I can.

As for whether otaku can be productive, the way I think of it, otaku are simply a more diverse group of people. There are parent's-basement NEETs, and there are fathers with a full time job and kids. The spectrum's all there, it's just broader.

When you say that otaku have a hard time organising, I agree. I think this is for three reasons :
1) By nature, these people are passionate about whatever they're doing. Preventing one's passion from blinding them is something that is difficult for everyone, otaku or not.
2) Geeks usually are geeks because they reject social norms. This can be a good thing, but not having those arbitrary customs does make it harder to communicate.
3)Finally, there is simply a higher rate of people with mental problems among geeky communities, and some of these problems are social.

In short, Geeks CAN be well organised, but they are less inclined to do so in the tightly bound way that is typical of traditional organisations. Rather, you tend to see organisations like those that make up the open source community: productive, but loosely bound.

>> No.6687165

>>6687125
>>6687134
>>6687137
2chに帰って下さい

>> No.6687169

boy i could go for some mapo tofu but the place near my apartment puts shrimp in it and im allergic ;_;

>> No.6687174

>>6687169
Couldn't you just, you know, ask them not to put shrimp in?

>> No.6687179

>>6687174
they're dicks, the only special order i ever place that they respect is extra spicy

>> No.6687189

Eh, well the fact that you recognize how socially retarded some otaku are puts you far ahead some of the people here. I don't really know what to tell you as far as finding other people with your interest who aren't like that. I have the same problem, I suppose. I guess for otaku related stuff, I come here or go to other forums online, and to socialize I hide my power level and go get crossedfaded. I really would like to find one or a group of kids who appreciate some otaku stuff but aren't freaks about it.

>> No.6687192
File: 226 KB, 482x441, 1284671917273.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6687151
OP Here.

Though we normally associate hikkis and neets with Otakus, it's not always the case. Otaku's aren't all people afraid of responsibility, social interaction, or doing work. The only qualification you need for being an otaku is having an obsession with japanese animation entertainment and the general circle around that to the point where you need it to find happiness in anything you do (or rather, your amount of happiness is directly correlated to your involvement with aforementioned entertainment).

Anywho, it's more than a gathering, I've done work with several groups in the community (I won't be specific as to what mine was, but an example of an organized productive group in an English-speaking otaku community might be a doujin game group, a translation group (VN/anime/doujins) or event groups like comiket release teams), and I just wonder how things even get done. I feel like I'm missing a piece of the puzzle almost. Like you said, I have to be more accepting but there's a level (which maybe it is slightly close minded of me, as you mentioned, but I firmly believe this) where you need to have respect and coordination with whom you work with. I just feel like it's impossible to get with most people in this area.

How do I make things happen? Pic related.

>> No.6687208
File: 116 KB, 520x635, 067defae263353aab2a9cb697631354b219839ea.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6687189
>>6687161

Op Here, not really trying to be casual, I think I'm just as passionate as anyone else on here about that I respectively like. I just don't see a reason for some of...fuck it, I don't even know what I'm talking about anymore. I'm just sick of not understanding why those people around me...or why I can't even let go of it..one of the anons said I care too much. Maybe it's true...atleast some of you can get a remote understanding of what I mean...thank you /jp/

>> No.6687222

>>6687192
It's a frame of mind OP.

I was awkward as hell through highschool, didn't go to college, and was a NEET for quite a while after graduating. Somehow, I now have a great job and even a girlfriend who I'm planning to marry, I still can't figure out what she sees in me though. I get busy at work sometimes and I don't always have time to watch all the latest anime or read through all the latest eroge. But I still feel really out of place anywhere but with a bunch of nerds and have trouble making friends irl. If it really came down to it I'd trade my job and my girlfriend for /jp/ any day. And when I'm here I act and talk like an unproductive NEET hikkikomori because I feel like that's what I am inside. If you can't identify with that mindset you probably don't belong in this subculture.

>> No.6687234

>>6687192
>I just wonder how things even get done.

You might find that out from being an observer for a while rather than an active participant. Or (I realize this is unlikely) if you know someone who wouldn't feel offended by being asked this, you can start by asking to try to get a general grasp.

Alternatively you'll simply have to either find new people to work with, put up with those you're dealing with now, or try to find individual projects / online communities to work with, if possible (which seems possible in the case of translations).

Considering your group gets things does, it means it definitely happened one way or another. Perhaps learning how they do it isn't even important as long as you focus on your own part of the work.

Sorry if my advice isn't really reaching home for you.

>> No.6687247

Basically the thing that sets us apart from normals is that we don't understand social cues. Things like not putting elbows on the table make no sense to me. I consider myself a polite person but either I'm crazy or surrounded by aggressive people, because I can't avoid conflict no matter what happens. Today is Christmas day but my family still want nothing to do with me.

>> No.6687249

i know that on /jp/ we're not supposed to leave our rooms or our houses but whatever you do, don't go to an anime con. especially don't cosplay anything that can be recognized by someone. you will have more retards on you than fat people on donuts

>> No.6687293

>>6687208

This is just a traditional reaction from someone who was stupid enough to do too much work and kept pressing on even though no one wanted him to do anything.

Essentially, a try hard. Look, he even had a fucking breakdown. What a fucking idiot.

>> No.6687296
File: 6 KB, 150x150, kinectjoyride.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>
Name
Subject
Comment
Action