[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/jp/ - Otaku Culture

View post   

File: 31 KB, 800x600, kanji.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
6494401 No.6494401 [Reply] [Original]

Is there any difference If I skip the JLPT level 5 test and just take the level 4?
I mean, if I pass the level 4, does it count as passing level 5 too?

>> No.6494408

i doubt anyone would care about jlpt levels above 3

>> No.6494423

you don't have to take them in order
though everything below 1 or 2 at max is a waste of money because what company/studio/school wants a certificate about "kinda knowing a language"? It's either advanced levels or nothing.

>> No.6494467

So I guess passing level 1 is equivalent as passing all previous tests?

>> No.6494510

>>6494467
Yes

>> No.6494576

This thread has gone full retard.

The tests include everything on the ones previous to them. N3 contains all the kanji from N4 and N5 plus the additional ones. That being said, no one cares about N3-5, and barely anyone cares about N2. N1 is a waste of time and money. The JLPT is a waste of time and money.

>> No.6494687

>>6494576

I've seen this sentiment a lot, but nobody has ever satisfactorily explained *why* it's a waste. I view it as getting a technical certification. You don't NEED it, but if you're in an interview and can reliably prove you're good at something, how is that a waste?

Maybe you can help me understand.

>> No.6495164

>>6494687
Well, it depends on the circumstances. If you're trying to become a translator or something in your own country with no one around who could tell the difference between Japanese and Chinese it might be a good idea.

But when you're applying in Japanese and speak it fluently with the guy in front of you that is generally proof enough.

>> No.6495176

There's a level 5 test? What is that, to make sure you can read hiragana?

>> No.6495238

>>6495164

Okay, that makes sense, I suppose. I WOULD love to do a stint in translating, or possibly work in Japan for a while, and I understand that a lot of them conduct interviews via Skype or some other program, so it would be rather simple to prove that you know Japanese simply by speaking to them in a coherent manner. I'll still probably take it just to prove I know the language to translating companies here in the States.

>> No.6496202

Taking the top level of one of the Japanese language tests is a good technical certification, but like all certifications, many employers consider them to be meaningless or even annoying while others require them. There are different tests besides JLPT that some industries and schools may require. It depends on which test they want. Before you take JLPT, try to research who requires it.

>>
Name
Subject
Comment
Action