[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/jp/ - Otaku Culture

View post   

File: 44 KB, 1136x587, rin and shin.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
6346204 No.6346204 [Reply] [Original]

So I thought of various ways to explain things in Unlimited Blade Works, but here's something I can't explain, and it has nothing to do with the media format.

Why the heck does Rin try so hard to rescue Shinji, say "I'm sorry Shinji", and even thinking it might be where she would die if she can't get out, rather than just dropping Shinji and making a run for it, right after what he had Gilgamesh do to Ilya and trying repeatedly to rape her and stomping on her mentor and Lancer's bodies?

A sudden attempt to show Rin as even more forgiving and caring than Shirou? It just seems a bit out of character and lacking in particular motivation.

>> No.6346209

I thought she said "I'm sorry, Sakura" when she tried to pull Shinji out...

>> No.6346212

You're really surprised by bad writing out of Nasu?

>> No.6346216

Rin's a lot softer than she'd like to believe.
Shirou, on the other hand, can turn his mind to steel and become a superhero when need be.

>> No.6346222

Shirou told rin to go rescue shinji. Rin, post jackhammer, is more then willing to do anything he says so that hopefully the jackhammerings will continue.

>> No.6346224

>and stomping on her mentor and Lancer's bodies?
Rin cares for Kotomine now?

>> No.6346225

>Why the heck does Rin try so hard to rescue Shinji,

She was disconnecting him from the Holy grail unit both to save him and so the Grail would have no host.

>say "I'm sorry Shinji", and even thinking it might be where she would die if she can't get out, rather than just dropping Shinji and making a run for it,

If she wasn't out, it probably would simply reconnect to him, voiding the point of pulling him out. She apologizes because it meant they both would die or serve the grail.

>A sudden attempt to show Rin as even more forgiving and caring than Shirou? It just seems a bit out of character and lacking in particular motivation.

She doesn't care, it's simply for the good of everyone.

Besides, even if he's a dirty rat, I'm pretty sure he doesn't deserve to be the host of all evils in the world.

>> No.6346227

>>6346209
She did say "I'm sorry, Sakura".

>> No.6346232

Because it's kind of cold blooded to leave someone to die? Even if they are an asshole. It's not like she didn't know him either. If you let somebody you knew die to save yourself it would be hard to live with the guilt and whatnot.

>> No.6346246

Shinji is apparantly a nice guy post-UBW, so I imagine being host to all the evils of the world did him good.

>> No.6346264

>>6346224
He had been her trusted mentor for much of her life and only had about 2 minutes of villain "I betray you now" time before he died. Chances are her affection rating for him would be a lot higher than for Shinji, at least.

>>6346209
>>6346227
I guess that sort of makes sense, though too bad she didn't know the truth about what went on in the Matou household. Should have done more research.

>>6346216
>>6346232
There shouldn't be guilt. This guy who she already disliked just tried to RAPE HER. And it's one thing to help a guy just there in need, quite another to face great danger and run into a massive sack of writhing flesh to try to extract a body and get out. She shouldn't even know there'd be a body in there, considering Shinji's body turned into the fleshy mass in the first place. In fact, why DOES Shinji have a body, when we clearly saw his body mutate into the flesh of the Holy Grail?

>> No.6346273

1] She is doing it for Sakura as well (since she doesn't know of dat rape).

2] She's also stopping the grail by rescuing Shinji.

3] Rin is actually a very nice person underneath her tsun. Seriously, she's so sweet that it gets the better of her all the time.

>> No.6346275

>>6346264
I think they despised eachother.

>> No.6346286

>>6346264
You sound like a female. Are you a female?

>> No.6346288

>>6346273
>Rin is actually a very nice person underneath her tsun
Goddamn this. This is the best tsun.

>> No.6346294

>>6346273
Yeah, Rin is one of the most kind hearted people in the series. Unlike other Tsunderes, who are only dere with their lover, Rin was just born nice.

Funny, considering Tokiomi was a bastard

>> No.6346318

I thought she did it because Shirou would want her to.

>> No.6346325

>Rin
>Nice
Pick one.

She let her little sister suffer at the hands of Zouken without lifting as much as a finger to help, and she should have had some ideas on what was happening to her.

Instead she pulls the "Oh well dad told me to forget about her so i did" card. (Well not exactly but close enough.)

>> No.6346329

She sacrificed a family heirloom that her dad left her just to save Shirou. She's a selfless person who would have given her life to defend everyone in Fuyuki City, including that asshole Shinji. She just seems like a jerk sometimes because of the way she does things combined with all the tsun.

>> No.6346336

Yeah, well Luvia is so nice she offered Rin a job because she was low on money. Of course that bitch Rin turned her down.

>> No.6346348

>>6346336
It's called dignity.

>> No.6346356

>>6346325
>She let her little sister suffer at the hands of Zouken without lifting as much as a finger to help, and she should have had some ideas on what was happening to her.
I see you haven't played HF. Enjoy your ignorance.

>> No.6346382

>>6346348
It's not a bad job though. It's not like she was whoring herself out or anything.

>> No.6346517

>>6346348
That's Pride.

>> No.6347141

>>6346325
First of all she didn't know the details of how she actually had it, if she did, she might had done something.

Other than that, it wasn't as simple as somehting her father said, it is more in line of all the teachings of magi, teachings enforced further by her father who happened to be a high up person, both in the family and in the "society".
And who else is a high up person? Yes that is Zouken himself.

This was a deal made by two heads of two renowed families. Deals made that would supposedly benefit them all.
And now, Zouken happened to have becomed completely crazy throughout the years, but that wasn't known by others and his sanity wasn't something others should question out of the blue.
Otherwise, Zouken was was really cool in his younger days and worked a lot for the benefit of everyone and had done lots of great things, and he more or less single handedly worked up his lineage up to a respected and renowed position.

Having been taken from ones family is obviously awful, but given what they knew it might not have sounded like such an awful thing beside that point. Sakura was to be the future head of the Matou family after all, in the future she would grow to have a great position, and in the future they might have been able to re-establish connections between the Tohsaka family and the Matou family when both are in the position as heads.

You have to consider what she and them actually knew and what they didn't.
She really did love her sister without doubt, and in HF she said that she on one hand couldn't feel empathy towards Sakura's situation, not because she didn't want to, but because she couldn't because she had never experienced anything like it and couldn't even begin to imagine something that would become close so it would be pointless in trying, and on the other hand she said that she loved her even so.
That is pure love, to being able to love people without fully understanding them.

>> No.6347178

The only thing I blame Rin for is the way she kept the distance with her sister.
Nothing really stopped her from getting along with Sakura after she was adopted, hell Sakura uses that fucking ribbon all the time as a proof she still loves her sister, but Rin kept her away for the same reason Shiro was scared of getting too involved with her.
It's hard playing the good guy part when one person you care for is suffering right in front of you and you do nothing, better to ignore the issue althogether and justify it with a big "I didn't know.".
Sakura was having an hard time, and while I can understand Rin feeling the guilt of being the one being choosen by her family, she could've at least been an emotional support for her sister.
She was a coward, and fleed from the responsibility and just kinda forgot about her like it wasn't her business.
That's cold as fuck, especially when you count that Sakura never really blamed her sister for what happened to her ( no, her fucked up self doesn't count, at that point she was in IHATEEVERYTHING mode ), she gets pissed off only when she finds out Rin has a crush for Shiro, which again is another dick move from her considering Sakura's feeling were obvious.

>> No.6347215

>>6347178
I figure you didn't read the post above yours >>6347141
as it adresses this exact issue.

>She was a coward, and fleed from the responsibility and just kinda forgot about her like it wasn't her business.
And this is it. You claim that she fled from her responsibility, but in the world of the magi it is her responsibility to mind her own business, and Sakura and the Matou family wasn't, at least not without Sakura as the head.
And Sakura is also part of the world of magi, they both had a burden of not contacting eachother.

And as described in the previous post, what was shown to Rin ws of course sad, and awful, but it wasn't as outright awful as some might take it. Sakura's position was one of a heir, she would raise greatily in power and her position had great potential, one that could rival her own.
And yet again, it was none of their business to mind eachothers business. That is the laws and regulations of the magi.

But it is also shown how Rin is greatily bothered by magi laws and regulations like these, as is shown clearily whenver Kiritsugu was brought up, and as well throughout the events of HF.
These laws and regulations were strongly against Rin's kind nature overall, something that was shown repeatidly in UBW among things. And Sakura of course had her own reasons to despise the ways of the magi.
But in the end they both abided to them.

In a way it is kind of like rich peoples' kids sent off at prestigous private schools with closed borders. Only that in this case the different schools were filled with various degrees of bullshit, but both were prestigious, and both had offered potential for greatness.
And in anyway, in this example, Rin and Sakura would have ended up at different schools, and none had anything to mind the other school.

>> No.6347879
File: 189 KB, 492x500, 1286066324829.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>
Name
Subject
Comment
Action