[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/jp/ - Otaku Culture

View post   

File: 49 KB, 800x600, 39667 - Fatestay_night Type-Moon rider.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
6279456 No.6279456 [Reply] [Original]

So, for those who have actually been, what's it like? I know there are blogs out there and I have read them, but still.

Is the standard of living higher?

Are the bitches actually hotter on average?

Whatever else you want to mention.

>> No.6279465

>Is the standard of living higher?
Nah.
>Are the bitches actually hotter on average?
Depends on the month. Bitches are panting all over the place in Tokyo's summer.

Also so many places won't take credit cards

>> No.6279476

Been there, got beaten by some Yakuza fuckers when I just tried to buy a drink at a store. Shit happens I thought. Then after two weeks I met them again and from my lame Japanese I only knew that they probably told me to leave the country or next time will be worse. At least they were kind enough to say it SLOWLY so I could partially understand. Never go there, it's overrated.

>> No.6279477

>>6279476
Hello Arc.

>> No.6279478

>>6279476

lulz, you got beat up by wittle azns, adorable!

>> No.6279480

>bitches

Get out of /jp/

>> No.6279481

>>6279478
Enjoy withstanding three guys with knuckle-dusters on your own.

>> No.6279484

>>6279480

sorry, meant wifus

>>6279481

meh, it really depends, i am just messing with you anyway.

>> No.6279486
File: 187 KB, 640x480, 1278972576495.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6279484

waifus!!!! *

>> No.6279495

>>6279481

Are you fat and do you look like an otaku? Be honest.

>> No.6279498

Omg (″・ิ_・ิ)っ-̾ Ive been there and I absolutely luuuv ಠ_ృ Japan ( ゚ 3゚)~♪ and my fav is hokkaido and the akikabura shops!!!!! Okies so anyways, im going to tell you about the BEST day of my life when I landed on the hot country of japan!! キタ━━━━━━━━(゚∀゚)━━━━━━━━━ OMFGZ IT WAS SOOOOO FREAKIN moe IN PERSON!!! Supa moe desu!!!!!!!! キタ━━━━━━━━(゚∀゚)━━━━━━━━━ッ!

When I walked onto Tokyo street looked up and saw&KATAKANA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! キタ━━━━━━━━(゚∀゚)━━━━━━━━━ッ!!!!

KONNICHIWA OMGZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ SUPA SUPA SUPA MOE KATAKANA-KUN!!!!! I yelled then I could read it perfectly!!

it said juice (。◕‿‿◕。) and then I felt really japanese ( ≖‿≖) as I read it a store owner called out to me and let me because they thought I was fluent (・ω・)then pulled me behind into their maid cafe ( ̄へ ̄) and started to serve me!!!!!! [OMG!!! ONE OF THE MAIDS CALLED ME HER MASTER!!! RLY!! (″・ิ_・ิ)っ-̾ ( ̄へ ̄) (″・ิ_・ิ)っ-̾ キタ━━━━━━━━(゚∀゚)━━━━━━━━━ッ then I saw some yakuza kisama bastard watching us and I could tell he was going to beat me up!!!!!!! ( ̄へ ̄); OMG I COULDNT BELIEVE IT EITHER!!! ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ] so I yelled UH UH BAKA NEKO IM BEING SERVED DO YOU WANT TO GET THROWN OUT BECAUSE THE MANAGER LET ME IN!!! ಠ_ృ then the owner gave me a peace sign (。◕‿‿◕。) and said he would get the girls to spit in his kohii!!!!!!! an guess wat!!!!!! he gave me a free meal!!!!!!! ** ~(・ω・)~ then I told him argiatou and he said my nihongo was totemo jouzu!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Nyaaaaa!!! キタ━━━━━━━━(゚∀゚)━━━━━━━━━ッ

>> No.6279503

>>6279498

Copypasta, or did you really take the time just for me?

>> No.6279504

>>6279495
No, I'm not fat nor skinny. Average built I'd say. Don't wear glasses or anything.

>> No.6279507

>>6279504

Hmm, I just have trouble believing they beat you up for no reason. Like, that shit doesn't even happen in Russia...unless you are brown, but that's a whole other story.

>> No.6279509
File: 35 KB, 290x446, Tesla.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Why don't you guys do something productive for a change?

>> No.6279511

>Is the standard of living higher?
No. The country is used to sitting and sleeping on the floor, and the 90s was a massive economic bust for them. Compared with USA and EU the standard of living is a great deal lower.

>Are the bitches actually hotter on average?
No. They're just as whorish as western women, but with less to love about them. They all look nearly identical; it's not like anime where they have cool shit like hair colors and irises. Most of them also have really gooked up teeth.

>Whatever else you want to mention.
Crowded, shit's expensive, decent work is very hard to find, high crime, not allowed to carry weapons for self-defense, authoritarian government, high taxes (if you're coming from the USA you'd shit yourself,) the young people are socially inept neckbeards, the old people don't like foreigners, and the place is crowded as all hell. It would be like living in NYC, except you're the unwanted foreigner who can't speak the language well.

>> No.6279514

>>6279509

Tesla was a total G with that AC/DC shit and dat teleporting electricioty thang, goddamn. Itz cauz he got japan blood down to the third millenia generation back when there was the three kingdoms and they was noble and did warz and then ameratsu was all like i iz god and i give tesla the power of the heavens and he was unrivaled under the heavzens like musashi and then he wrotted the 5 rings and then they made the ring and it was scary the like book of 5 swords or what was it called, five rings, oh yea.

>> No.6279520

>>6279507
Yakuza weeds out troublemakers; everyone who wants to be a gangsta there wants to use his fists - it's also hard to get recognition in the underground without hurting people no matter what part in the world you're from.

Tourists are easy pickings for Yakuza wannabes earning the acceptance of their gangs; you can prove you're hard without being considered a troublemaker and thrown out.

>> No.6279525

>>6279520

I wonder how it would end if I broke their hands. I dunno, I grew up in Russia in the early 90s - it was pretty bad, but there still wasn't that much completely random violence. I guess the japs are just noobs.

>> No.6279526
File: 323 KB, 700x1009, 1281741156193.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6279525

Speaking of which.

>> No.6279534

I realize /jp/ isn't really for discussing Japan anymore, but since the thread is here...anyone been to hokkaido? I've been learning Japanese for the eroge, but visiting might be nice, and for some reason hokkaido strikes me as the place I'd want to go.

>> No.6279543

>>6279456
Women sucks, tourists are hated outside of main areas and people are generally selfish assholes.
Try asking for directions and see what happens.

>> No.6279547

>>6279525
Your best bet is to know which places are safer and which aren't; in most urban parts it's not uncommon to see those little police offices on every other block. Assuming you're not in heavy gang territory, if you defend yourself you shouldn't expect much trouble to come of it because Yakuza groups really don't want the types of people who pick random fights - they want to think of themselves as samurai, not like thugs out of a rap music video.

>> No.6279548

>>6279534

Hokodo is the land where the great sun tzu of japan wrote the art of war when he was little boy in china, he dance and sing kareoke, but in evening he study hard and drift in the mountain. But the mountain pass is treacherous and the ghost of KAZUME live there, the ghost was an effiminate male with FANGS and it taught him the art of AIKIDO so he can throw his opponents and disrupt their will through reiki with his killing intent. So he turned that frown upside down and dropped it like its fat boy up in dere.

>> No.6279554

>>6279547

Is that actually true though? In most countries, you beat up the little groupies, you might have more serious shit coming your way.

Well....or groupies, and lots of them.

>> No.6279555

>>6279534
Hokkaido is cold as fuck and a lot more rural than Honshu (the biggest island.) I've also heard that the regional dialect there is also a lot different from the Tokyo norm and foreigners might have a hard time getting around even with a long history of studying Japanese.

>> No.6279563

>>6279554
Not really; groupies tend to be unwanted by the real guys in the group.

Think of it like hang-outs in an American motorcycle club; they'll let you go to their parties and chill with them, but they're not going to protect you if you get your ass into trouble. In the criminal underground favors involving brute force come at a high price, people don't hand them out like candy.

>> No.6279564

>>6279543
>Try asking for directions and see what happens.

What do they just ignore you or shoot you dirty looks and tells you to fuck off?

>> No.6279568

>>6279520
I find it very hard to believe that an organized crime group wouldn't consider someone beating up a random foreigner to be a "trouble maker."

I would assume the Japanese government takes crimes against foreigners very seriously(if not more seriously than the avg Japanese person), especially crimes against tourists. I say this because not only are tourists a form of business, but crimes against foreigners are capable of causing large international problems.

What if the foreigner that the thug managed to beat up happened to be someone of political or culural importance? They'd have no way of knowing(if the target was randomly selected), and the Japanese government would probably have no choice but to make a show out of hunting down those responsible due to media exposure and such.

In summary, beating up random foreign people seems like an easy way to get yourself recognized as a troublemaker in an organized crime scene, but maybe there's something I'm not considering?

If you actually have a source for your last statement and it's not just deduction, I would like to see it if you don't mind.

>> No.6279569

So, how many of you do kendo, but never work out otherwise?

>> No.6279572

>>6279564
If you ask for directions most people will just give them to you if you speak Japanese well enough to understand, if not then they might just point in the general direction.

If they don't know, or if they don't want to talk to you, then they'll just politely excuse themselves because they're typically self-conscious and don't want to look like jerks.

>> No.6279577

>>6279569
What do you mean by "never work out otherwise?" Most structured martial arts programs include physical conditioning as part of their routine.

>> No.6279578

>>6279543
>Try asking for directions and see what happens.
I did once, when I was younger. The man tried very hard to help me despite my understanding very little of what he was saying(and probably not even being clear about what I wanted).

>> No.6279582

I went on a study abroad trip, my female language partner fell in love with me and we spent a lot of the trip having sex in awkward places/ her giving me a tour of the country. A year later I returned and we had it so we were language partners again, we both graduated and she moved here because japan sucks compared to America. Why would you want to live there when you could live in the USA.

>> No.6279593

>>6279548
>the great sun tzu of japan

2/10

>> No.6279591

>>6279568
>I find it very hard to believe that an organized crime group wouldn't consider someone beating up a random foreigner to be a "trouble maker."
It depends on the group; there's no universal hierarchy like there was/is in the USA so there's no "board of directors" dictating what's acceptable and what isn't. They can range from being like pseudo-corporations to simple street gangs; what makes one considered a trouble maker varies.

>Japanese government takes crimes against foreigners very seriously
That's completely correct; if you assault a tourist then you're not only committing a violent crime but also disrupting business - that won't go over well anywhere. But in the interest of your own safety it's important to account for scenarios in which the government isn't right behind you watching your back.

>Japanese government would probably have no choice but to make a show out of hunting down those responsible due to media exposure and such.
That's why brute force is rarely used in Japan, but it DOES still happen. In the urban places there are still plenty of street thugs just like any place else; having good sense about it is important to protecting one's self.

>but maybe there's something I'm not considering?
You're not considering the fact that things don't always work out for the best; if you're going to travel to another country then you need to account for what *might* happen instead of merely what *should* happen.

>If you actually have a source for your last statement and it's not just deduction, I would like to see it if you don't mind.
Not *a* source, because I'm not citing anything - sources are only for when you're asserting that someone else said/did/showed something in particular. Just a history of reading on the subject, but if you've got an interest in reading for yourself then all I can really do is recommend google and wikipedia.

>> No.6279596

>>6279572
This sounds pretty accurate. There's a general phenomena among Japanese of assuming that any foreigner approaching them will want to speak to them in English, and automatically getting nervous about having to talk to a stranger in a language they're bad at, which makes them try to avoid you or excuse themselves as early as possible in order to avoid this unknown confrontation. Might seem like rude, xenophobic or racist, but there's really no harm meant. You would probably get a little nervous too if you studied French, German or Spanish in high school, but haven't used it at all since then, and a stranger suddenly approached you and started talking to you in that language.

>> No.6279597

>>6279582
Better access to Japanese book stores? Honestly, that is my main reason for wanting to go to Japan...just to buy a fuckton of books and not pay shipping. Or, just to experience another lifestyle for a bit. While I have thought about moving to Japan, it's always been a "for 3 years tops" kind of thing - just long enough to adapt to another way of living and get the experience of it.

>> No.6279608

A few random other thoughts:

1: If you're going to travel to ANY country, then you had best be ready to say at least 20 phrases in that language, such as asking someone to just show you the general direction something is in so you don't have to communicate in depth with each other. It really isn't that hard.

2: The criminal underground, Japan being no exception, is perpetually full of troublemakers. They don't *want* these people, but that doesn't mean they don't exist - never assume you'll never run into someone dangerous.

3: Be courteous. People will notice you're an asshat more than they notice you're a foreigner, common sense and common decency will make your experience more enjoyable.

>> No.6279609

>>6279597
Just visit Akihabara, the place caters to tourists a lot because they know there's a lot of money to be made.

>> No.6279614

>>6279591
This would probably be like going to the deepest place in the bronx and then crying because you got beat up by some niggers and all your money and clothes got stolen.

>> No.6279615

>>6279591
Thanks for the rational response. I consider it important to be conscious of the social environment and careful no matter where you go, so it seems like your message wasn't quite directed at the context I was speaking in, but. but your advice is definitely good.

And the request for a citation was more or less directed at the last sentence in the post I quoted, as the idea seemed specific enough to have come from something else directly.

In any case, if you've done some reading on the subject(I have not), can you mention any places in particular that are particularly bad? Or particularly safe? Or were you more or less talking about parts of cities(e.g. slums) rather than specific cities or prefectures themselves? I'm sure there are a good number of notoriously bad cities/regions. I don't mean this as a test, I'm genuinely curious as I plan to do my own research on it in the future.

>> No.6279622

>>6279615
>Or particularly safe?

As a rule of thumb, places can be judged by their police presence. Japan tends to spread the police out broadly over an area with small offices located all over a town, common sense dictates you're a lot less likely to be the victim of a violent crime if the police are within earshot.

>> No.6279650

>>6279608
>People will notice you're an asshat more than they notice you're a foreigner
Not in japan.
The simple fact that you are a foreigner means you are an asshat, regardless of your ability to speak the language and act in a culturally acceptable way.

>> No.6279652

>>6279650
You only think that because you're an asshat and people see you that way wherever you go.

>> No.6279654

>>6279456
So how do you act in japan?

>> No.6279656

>>6279654
PROTIP: don't use anime as a guide. Especially don't use VNs as a guide if you want to stay out of prison.

>> No.6279657
File: 21 KB, 471x480, 1286441664451.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

There's likely a shit-ton of trolls in this thread. If you want to know what Japan is like, go there yourself and find out. After all, that's the point isn't it? First hand experience is the key to a good life.

>> No.6279667

I live in Japan. It's pretty awesome but there's no drugs.
Also if you don't speak any Japanese it would probably suck.
I'm a dirty foreigner and I've asked people for directions and they have been very nice. Once the police got a map and drew the path I should take for me.

>> No.6279670

>>6279654
Bow and use polite speech whenever talking to anyone you don't know very well. All the time.

Don't add retarded suffixes to peoples names however you want, just use san all the time unless the other person wants to be called something else(This one girl insisted she wanted to be called mikichan, so I called her mikirin because she reminded me of miki from cross channel for some reason, and because it made her laugh.)

Don't think you are hot stuff, you are like a black man buying a house in 1940 in the American suburbs, everyone does not want you to be there, but will deal with it as long as you don't interact with them.

>> No.6279680

>>6279670
>Don't think you are hot stuff, you are like a black man buying a house in 1940 in the American suburbs, everyone does not want you to be there, but will deal with it as long as you don't interact with them.

Damn japanese and their xenophobia

>> No.6279681

People thinking Japan is a dangerous place? Where do you live, Lichtenstein?

>> No.6279682

>>6279670
Damn, I thought you were supposed to act as aggressive and outgoing as possible to contrast their shyness (two shy people don't get along too well), refer to yourself as oresama, use the chan prefix for all the cute girls you meet, use first name for everyone else and speak in highschool delinquent slang at every opportunity.

>> No.6279685

>>6279456
I live in the frozen North....Alaska...well its not really north is more like northwest and what not...inb4 lol u can look out your window and see russia.

>> No.6279691

>>6279682
>refer to yourself as oresama

Gets all the bitches

>> No.6279700

>>6279682
>refer to yourself as oresama
In one of my oral japanese tests we needed to do a section and the point was to act as socially bad and unacceptable as possible, I used ore and got to refer to my teacher as "kisama". That was a fun test.

>> No.6279702

>>6279681
Even if you lived there you'd still want to possess the capacity for self defense. Japan doesn't let you carry guns, so you're sure as hell going to want to learn some street sense if you insist on traveling there.

>> No.6279715

>>6279702
....You realize ofcourse that the chance of being robbed in Japan is one 30th of that in the US, even less for NEETs a hikkis since they rarely leave the house.

>> No.6279720

>>6279715
>You realize ofcourse that the chance of being robbed in Japan is one 30th of that in the US
Citation needed*

>> No.6279741

>>6279702
If you insist on walking around the darkest of the dark alleys at night or just pick fights with random people all the time, sure.

I never had a problem in Japan.
I'm sure I'd be more likely to get my wallet (and money) back if I dropped in Japan compared to if I just dropped it on the street where I currently live.

The only capacity I have for self-defense is probably that I'm 185cm, 85kg, and a foreigner. Hopefully I'd be able to talk my way out of an unpleasant situation since I know a bit of Jap.

>> No.6279780

>>6279720
http://www.unodc.org/pdf/crime/seventh_survey/7sc.pdf
This shit is 10 years old but you get the idea.

>> No.6281082

Yes, I train with my katana every day. Wish me luck in Japan.

>> No.6281121

Nothing about Rider's fucked up leg?

>> No.6281612

I had a (normalfag) friend who went and he seemed to really enjoy himself. He worked in a hospital.

Only thing I can think of is that once he randomly(Wonder why the police picked him) checked for his bike registration or some shit, which didn't actually check out and he got taken to the police station. Turns out it was because of some lazy fuck at the hospital not doing paperwork though.

I think it's much like anywhere else, you'll find trouble if you're an idiot and don't know how to avoid it.

And as for the guy who said taxes would be outrageous ot an American: Taxes ANYWHERE would be outrageous for an American.

>> No.6281633

>>6281121
Takeuchi probably drew it normal, but someone complained she didnt look tall enough, probably Takeuchi

>>
Name
Subject
Comment
Action