[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/jp/ - Otaku Culture

View post   

File: 69 KB, 568x574, reimu or dr pepper.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
6034845 No.6034845 [Reply] [Original]

If I take a Japanese class, will it be filled with autistic weeaboos, or are there also normal people that have an interest in learning it as a second language? What have your experiences been like?

I live in the states, if that makes any difference.

>> No.6034852

retard or troll?
autistic children don't leave the institution/home, they're worse than downs kids

>> No.6034848

http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/foreign-languages-and-literatures/21f-501-beginning-japanese-i-fall-2004/
study-materials/

It is possible it will be filled with weeaboos, but I'm sure there are plenty of people who are generally interested in the language. Although you may want to just study online first, and test in to a higher part of Japanese, I'd say right when Kanji starts is when people shit bricks and drop the class.

>> No.6034861

You'll probably have both of those kinds of people in the same class, but the ratio depends on where you are and other stuff

I'm mad because my Japanese class got canceled due to a low number of students registered for that particular section. I'll have to try and get a different day/time or go back to studying at home this semester

>> No.6034871

There are usually a lot of weeaboos, yellow fever losers, and a combination of the two, but also some people just there to take the language. Japanese is like the "high class" Asian language to the tolerable normalish people, kind of like how French was for Euro languages. They probably eat all those sweet deep fried hipster sushi rolls.

>> No.6034873

>>6034848
Thanks. I'm not sure if I'll have the time to study the language really well on my own, since I'm pretty busy with my current classes, but in case I do find some extra time to study, that'll be a good resource to use.
>>6034852
I suppose you're right for the most part, but it really depends on the severity of the autism and/or Asperger's. You'd be surprised at how many low-functioning people are in computer science.

>> No.6034888

From my experience, there's usually never people who go "LOL I LOVE JAPAN". Though you WILL get people who take Japanese because they love anime and manga, but those guys are usually normal.

Usually after past the elementary and intermediate classes, those numbers thin out because things just get hard and the people who really do care will take the class.

If you want to take a language, don't let other people hinder you. You get to choose where you sit in college anyways.

>> No.6034903

>>6034888
I suppose you're right, though it's annoying enough having to deal with the ADHD/autistic/Asperger's manchildren in just my CS classes, and I imagine it'd be worse in a Japanese class. I could be wrong though.

Maybe I'll take a semester and see what it's like. If it's bad, I can take either a Sino-Tibetan language like Cantonese or Mandarin, or perhaps even a second Indo-European language like Spanish, since those would all be relevant to my line of work, though Japanese would be preferable.

>> No.6034909

>will it be filled with autistic weeaboos
Haha he says it like its a bad thing. Once you meet your classmates you'll wish it was

>> No.6034926

Wow, you sound like an asshole. I feel sorry for anyone who has to take a class with you.

>> No.6034931

>>6034926
How do I sound like an asshole?

>> No.6035021

>>6034926

Awww. Whine more, you whiny little bitch. "The world isn't sunshine and rainbows, WAHHHHHHHHHH"

>> No.6035171

It will be filled with weeaboos who get frustrated and bitch at the professor because they don't study Japanese on their own, Koreans who think it will be easy because they're "azn", and people who are taking the class to appear smarter (fat ladies). There may be a few people who are actually learning the language.

>> No.6035191

>>6035171
>Koreans who think it will be easy because they're "azn"
But it will be easier for them. Korean and Japanese grammar is almost exactly the same, word for word.

>> No.6035205

Here is my class makeup.

Hardcore weeaboo. Loves manga and anime. Sweats a lot. Hard to approach.

Young man who is learning Japanese to communicate with his wife.

One young man who is learning Japanese to communicate with his (step?)father.

Two older men who seem normal.

Someone who lived in Japan for a year.

A girl with pink hair.

A tomboy who seems actually quite normal.

A fat girl who seems normal.

Two girls who seem normal.

A normal kid who seems to be learning Japanese for work or something.

A guy who works full-time, sleeps, and takes the class.

Me, the guy who sits in the back and is not learning anything new but is obsessively watching the behaviors of the other students. Looking back, I mentioned only about 13 students. There's 15 or 16 in the class though. I must be missing some.

>> No.6035495

>Young man who is learning Japanese to communicate with his wife.

How do you marry someone you can't even talk to?

>> No.6035497

>>6035191
Doesn't really matter. They don't know any kanji before coming in, so they're almost as fucked as English students.

>> No.6035504

>>6035495
Jap friend of mine's husband doesn't know japanese, and they are engaged. He's learning though, but still.
She lives in sweden with him btw.

>> No.6035511

>>6035497
If you think learning how to write kanji and read on'yomi is the difficult part of the language, or even difficult at all, you probably don't know much Japanese.

>> No.6035518

>>6035495
People meet and confuse sexual attraction for love. They decide to get married, even though they can barely understand each other, have a kid. The marriage collapses because of language barrier, cultural and racial difference in a few years at best. Then the woman abducts the kid and the father will never see him again. Happense often between white men and Asian women.

>> No.6035521

/jp/ sure loves to sage.

>> No.6035526

>>6035521
we don't do it out of spite. Most of us leave it on all the times. It's what is called "polite sage" in the other boards.

>> No.6035529

>>6035511
Actually, kanji is the only difficult part.

>> No.6035531

>>6035526
More like you sage rude and/or pointless posts made by you. Sure is "polite"

>> No.6035550

I'm taking Japanese due to a genuine interest in the language as well as the anime/manga thing. Honestly, if you're a first-year student, the difficulty of the language will weed out the weeaboos fairly quickly. The people who stay tend to be Asian Studies majors with an interest in going to Japan for business as well as people who wish to study the language simply for personal interest.

I'm an English major with a Japanese minor. It's one of the weirdest combinations that I know of, but I would rather get out of college learning something that I like rather than learning something that I hate but is more useful.

>> No.6035558

>>6035511

...you do realize that a lot of native Japanese speakers don't know all the kanji, right? It's that difficult.

>> No.6035570

>>6035558
"all the kanji" means shit, there's like 50000 of them in the biggest dictionary. Natives encountering words they dont know happens a lot even with English, it's not an excuse.

>> No.6035572

My Japanese III class has 4 people in it, demoted down to once a week and shoved in a supply closet in some corner of the university. How the hell do you guys have so many people in your classes?

>> No.6035580

>>6035572
My country's weeaboos have been increasing steadily in the past years, Japanese students at my university have more than tripled in the past 5 years according to the teachers.
It's like that "Japanese class/My once proud country" comic, at least I manage to suppress my powerlevel, but I've seen people almost cosplaying during class. It was painful.

>> No.6035585

>>6035572
We don't go to shitty schools

>> No.6035587

My Japanese classes at college are usually really nice.
Different kinds of people, some weeaboos but not the loud/obnoxious kind. And a few quiet Chinese students too.

>> No.6035594

>>6035580
Does anyone have said comic? I'd like to see it.

>> No.6035613

>>6035585

So non-shitty schools are full of obnoxious weeaboos, gotcha

>> No.6035626

My class is full of weeaboos, but most of them keep their powerlevels under control. I managed to find out that this black girl in the class plays eroge. She probably posts on /jp/ too.

>> No.6035780

If anything, I would say the quality of your professor/teacher matters way more than how absurdly weeabbo the rest of the class is.

When I took Japanese I in high school, the class was packed with wapanese kids who started things like an after school animu club under the pretense of a "Japanese culture club" and would incessantly talk about DBZ among other things.

The teacher was absolutely awesome though, she was a native speaker of Japanese who had lived in Japan most of her life, but moved to the US recently. She was hilarious- if kids started talking too loudly in class she would shout うるさい!!! at them, and everyone shat bricks when she was like "It's golden week, no homework!" and we got to just shit around and do nothing / catch goldfish with those paper nets on May 5.

I learned Japanese with her far faster than any other teacher I took in college.

>> No.6035794

80% weaboo faggots, 20% legit people. Like a guy who's fiancée is Japanese, or a girl who's grandmother is Japanese, or someone who went to highschool in Japan because their dad was in the military.

Say nothing, blend in with the normals.

>> No.6035845

>>6035780

Oh, also I kick myself to this day for not having saved these drawings...

There was a Korean girl who sat next to me in that class and had a thing for me or something, because she kept making these little 4komas of chibi-me and chibi-her doing random shit, and sometimes included chibi representations of other people in the class. It was actually pretty decent, and she'd share them with me after class. It was moe, she gave me spiky animu hair and was sure to include my glasses.

I have no idea where they got to, though. ;_;

>> No.6035864

>>6035780
My teacher was also native Japanese, but nowhere near as awesome. I quit after a semester, largely due to more important engineering classes, but also because I didn't want to deal with the same teacher for the next several semesters.

My class was full of people who joined for the usual anime/manga reasons, but the majority of them made it to the end of the semester. I'm not sure how many of them continued afterward. They hid their powerlevels well enough, so even the worst ones were tolerable.

>> No.6035923

>>6035780
I studied linguistics in college.

Children are hardwired for language. Up until 14-16 years old all language is stored in the primary language learning center of the brain, after that it goes into the secondary language learning center of the brain which is much more difficult to learn. Your teacher could have shown you episodes of the Smurfs in Japanese in high school and you'd have learned it better than in college.

It's unfair to claim that a teacher you liked who played with you was better at their job than ones that are serious because you fail to understand how the brain works.

If you don't agree you can look it up yourself.

>> No.6035932

You guys are just jealous I'm in a japanese class with no apparent weeaboos.

>> No.6036001

The amount of obvious weeaboos decreases the further up you go in your studies.

101 will be filled with obvious ones who shout out how much they love anime. They will fail by December.
201 will be filled with maybe some who say "haha, yeah, I like <such and such>, it's pretty awesome, you?"
301 will be filled with people who say "I don't like anime, stop asking me."

>> No.6036016

>>6035923
>>6035923

True, but when I started taking the Japanese classes I had just hit the age of 16. (I only took it my Junior and Senior year) I can't say for sure when that primary/secondary language learning shift occurred, of course, but I'm willing to bet I was already beginning said shift.

The teachers I had in college did not explain shit to students properly, and presented half-truths (for instance, the "ん" sound is ALWAYS "N") in an unimaginably dry and boring manner. They didn't even bother to teach Hiragana, not because it was already expected of you, but because they deemed it "unnecessary" to learn in favor of obfuscating drills that just made no sense.

>> No.6036019

>>6036016
Wow, that really is shit.

Feel bad for you man.

>> No.6036034

>>6035550
>English major

Bernfag I am disappoint.

>> No.6036048

>>6036001

Scrolling through this thread, I am under the impression that some people here consider anyone watching anime to be a weeaboo.

Guess what ? I learnt Japanese to watch anime, read manga, and play games, including eroge. It doesn't matter why you decide to learn a language. Saying it's because you have a Japanese wife or for a job doesn't make it any more legit.

It's true that the people with naruto headband drop out fast though.

>> No.6036059

When I went to class, it was full of fucking Koreans.

>> No.6036069

It's funny, in my college it was almost all Koreans and Chinese who just wanted to learn the language. There were a few people motivated by anime/etc. peppered in, and damn, they couldn't manage anything. All they did was complain how impossible it was, even though I'm sure anyone could complete the coursework if they gave half a shit.

>> No.6036073

>>6034845
I started a japanese class here last week and took great care of covering my powerlevel, even parked my car farther away since I have a touhou sticker on it. And as it turns out, theres two weeaboos and the rest of the 13 people there are all normal.

>> No.6036076

>>6036048
I'm saying that it weeds out the annoying ones. I don't give a fuck about the other reasons because they're not annoying. I don't, and nobody else for that matter, cares if you like anime, just so long as they shut up about it.

>> No.6036312

bump

>>
Name
Subject
Comment
Action