[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/jp/ - Otaku Culture

View post   

File: 24 KB, 256x256, 332-Xiahou-Dun_B.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
5995880 No.5995880 [Reply] [Original]

Were there any noteworthy Japanese generals compared to the Chinese generals during the romance of three kingdoms dynasty? (Preferably someone around or higher than Xiodun's caliber) The only person that comes to my mind is Oda Nobunaga.

>> No.5995896
File: 403 KB, 1024x768, 1282454804245.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

of course there are note worthy Japan/Generals

>> No.5995897

ask >>>/int/

I doubt people here know about it. And also keep in mind that many things in that book are exaggerated and made up. Some people say it's 30% fiction.

>> No.5995902

let's compare Chinese generals who fought against Chinese generals and Japanese generals who fought against Japanese generals
who win

>> No.5995913

>>5995897
But a decent discussion on /int/ is impossible (it's /b/ lite), that's why I posted here since there might be some military/history Japanese otakus like me.

>> No.5995918

As sad as it is, a good chunk of the R3K novel is bullshit (Xiahou Dun never got shot in the eye, in fact he was a fairly useless general in real life).

Go try out Koei's Japanese history games and see if you find anyone you like.

>> No.5995944

thread saged, reported and hidden since it's not touhou.

gtfo out of my /jp/ you newfag. fucking cancer.

>> No.5995953

>>5995880
>(Preferably someone around or higher than Xiodun's caliber)

Dun wasn't anything special. The novels and all the shit that derive from it overplay the whole getting shot in the eye thing to make him seem badass. Historically he didn't do anything noteworthy. After a major defeat, he stepped down from military duties and stuck to political and economic matters.

>> No.5995957

On a scale of 1 to 10, how bullshit is Guan Yu's character?

>> No.5995958

>>5995880
play rance, there are plenty

>> No.5995961

Everybody knows Napoleon would have owned them all.

>> No.5995972

>>5995957
Guan Yu was the one of the most formidable charismatic generals in that era, I know, I know him.

>> No.5995976

>>5995957
He was strong and a good leader. There isn't much bullshit on him, but let's keep our mind in reality. Generals don't go into the front lines killing everyone, the best you get is they shooting arrows from safe distance or accepting duels, aside from ordering of course.

>> No.5995985

>>5995957
>Shu General
Automatic 10 out of 10.

>> No.5995989

>>5995944
Typical autistic touhou shit poster.

>> No.5996014

>>5995989
that's a troll.

>> No.5996028

Mori Ranmaru
Ashikaga Yoshiteru
Tokugawa Ieyasu
Honda Tadakatsu
Ii Naomasa
Okita Sōji
Uesugi Kenshin
Date Masamune
Mōri Motonari
Shimazu Yoshihiro
Shibata Katsuie
Maeda Toshiie
Oda Nobuyuki
Senhime
Sakakibara Yasumasa
Shimazu Yoshihisa
Shimazu Toshihisa
Saitō Dōsan
Asakura Yoshikage
Ōshio Heihachirō
Niwa Nagahide
Isoroku Yamamoto
Tamon Yamaguchi
Takigawa Kazumasu
Hattori Hanzō
Sakai Tadatsugu
Kikkawa Motoharu
Baba Nobuharu
Yamagata Masakage
Sanada Yukimura
Akechi Mitsuhide
Inaba Yoshimichi
Honda Masanobu
Sanada Yukitaka
Shimazu Iehisa
Ashikaga Yoshiharu
Kobayakawa Takakage
Andō Morinari
Hōjō Sōun
Yamanaka Yukimori

>> No.5996035

>>5995958
Rance is ero-game to appeal virgin nerds retard.

>> No.5996055
File: 45 KB, 450x466, Cirno jp says.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

If you are looking for a good Japanese general, look no further than Takeda Shingen, Tiger of Kai. He was the one who introduced the cavalry charge to Japan, the concept of cavalry having been introduced in his father's generation. His legendary rivalry with Uesugi Kenshin is much noted today. There is a tale that when Shingen was being boycotted and was much starved for resources, Kenshin is said to have sent supplies and said "War is to be fought with spears and swords, not rice and salt." In fact, Kenshin is said to have wept upon hearing on Shingen's death, having lost a great rival. You should look him and Kenshin up. Their battles at Kawanakajima are legendary.

>> No.5996058

Tokugawa Ieyasu.

He won all of Japan by sitting on his fat ass and being a disciple of Tzeentch.

>> No.5996063

>>5996058
>being a disciple of Tzeentch.
>Tokugawa shogunate stagnated without change for 200+ years
lolno

>> No.5996067

>>5996055
Are there by any chance any conspiracy theories about whether he really existed?

>> No.5996074

>>5996067

Dohoho, Rance was a fun game.

You know those four characters said to be his retainers? They're based off an old adage of Shingen's, FuRinKaZan, or rather, Wind, Forest, Fire, Mountain. "Move as swift as a wind, stay as silent as forest, attack as fierce as fire, undefeatable defense like a mountain." Shingen was big on Sun Tzu. I'm sure he could quote the entire book. Not that that's a challenge. It's actually rather small.

>> No.5996124

Japan in general weren't even a match that time against the might China. All they had was some cheap bamboo armor and poorly crafted shitty swords.

>> No.5996134

Ah this thread is giving me so many Sengoku Basara flashback man.

>> No.5996230

The Sengoku era is pretty much Japan's ROTK. ROTK is just more well-known, because China was much larger and had bigger impact on mainland Asia than some backwards island. Japanese generals weren't necessarily below the chinese, just everything happened in a smaller scale. Japan was also known for its quality of troops while China on the other hand... y'know.
Anyway, Skanderbeg would have kicked their asses hard.

>> No.5996260

>>5996230
Wasn't western tactics at the time purely blunt force?

>> No.5996305

>>5996260
He wouldn't have been able to beat up the Ottomans with just blunt force.

Captcha: historical houtiffy

>> No.5996536

A glorious Nipponjin-made katana had the metal in the blade folded over 9000 times and could cut clean through Damascus steel. With this weapon and the power of ganbaru, a racially superior Nipponjin had the clear tactical advantage.

>> No.5996541

>>5996230
I read that as Remembering of the Kanji.

>> No.5996542

>>5996536

LOL

>> No.5996562

And their swords were curved, another superior Nipponjin invention. In battle they rolled their swords along their opponent chopping them into cubes.

>> No.5996639

>>5996260
Everybody was. Zhuge Liang's only tactic was to insult the enemy general who would then rush into a trap. Sima Yi defeated him usually by ignoring him, which is also how he got the reputation of being a coward.

>> No.5996811

Japan didn't even "exist" in the 2nd century(the ROTK/Sanguozhi era.) The island was populated by just nomads and tribes. The closest was the people of Yamato, who, through their queen Himiko, had correspondence with Wei under Cao Rui.

Gonna list up some awesome Sengoku guys that can match ol' Cao Cao and Zhang Fei tit for tat.

Meanwhile you can check out www.samurai-archives.com. It's the best english resource for Sengoku Japan history online.

>> No.5997385

A few of my favorite picks.

Hojo Ujiyasu - Second head of the Latter Hojo Clan of Sagami. Was renown for his excellent civil administration and political skills. In 1549 while still a relatively small power, he was threatened by a large coalition(The two main branches of the Uesugi clan along with the Kanto-Ashikaga) meant to wipe the Hojo off the political map in Kanto. As the coalition besieged one of his key castles(Kawagoe) in Musashi Province, Ujiyasu led a daring night raid where he ordered his men to leave their armor behind and simple kill(rather than be worried about counting heads) he threw the Uesugi/Ashikaga besiegers into chaos. Along with a well-timed counterattack from the men in Kawagoe, the Uesugi/Ashikaga were terribly beaten, killing the head of the Ogigayatsu-Uesugi clan(after which they went extinct) and driving the Yamanouchi-Uesugi all the way up into Echigo, where their head begged for assistance from one Nagao Kagetora... who would later be known as the famous God of War, Uesugi Kenshin. He would then spend much of the rest of his career in a four-way struggle with his powerful neighbors: Kenshin, Imagawa Yoshimoto, and Takeda Shingen.

Honda Tadakatsu - The chief member of the Tokugawa Shitennoh. Renown for fighting in 50 some battles and never taking a single injury. He wielded one of the Three Spears of Japan, the Tonbogiri, and was instrumental in many of Ieyasu's battles, such as his retreat at Mikatagahara, the Battle of Komaki-Nagakute, and the Battle of Sekigahara. He is nicknamed the Zhang Fei of Sengoku Japan.

con't

>> No.5997406

>>5996260
Western tactics at that time had evolved to pike & shot.

>> No.5997427

Sanada Yukimura

I think he was more renowned for his fighting than tactical skills

>> No.5997430 [DELETED] 
File: 95 KB, 240x240, na13_hojoujiyasu.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Uesugi Kenshin - The famed God of War and follower of Bishamonten, Uesugi Kenshin was a prime example of an honorable leader and warrior. Someone has already mentioned his "salt episode" with Shingen(the one who had cut off Shingen's salt was Hojo Ujiyasu.) He faced Takeda Shingen at the plains of Kawanakajima five times in their career, and only barely beat Shingen in the fourth battle, with the others all being stalemates. While other major clans like the Imagawa, Takeda and Asakura were all devestated or destroyed in their encounters with Oda Nobunaga, Kenshin for his part would trounce Nobunaga when they crossed armies at the Tedorigawa in Noto Province. However, Kenshin would succumb to illness soon after that victory, giving Nobunaga leeway for his conquest. It is said upon learning of Kenshin's death that Nobunaga said, I paraphrase, "And now, the land is mine."

Pictured is Hojo Ujiyasu from Nobunaga no Yabou 13: Tendou, the latest in that series of historical strategy games made by KOEI and what their ROTK strategy games were based on.

>> No.5997438

>>5995896
Saddest image I've ever seen.

>> No.5997440
File: 38 KB, 240x240, m_F2E2D6E2CEBDC835DF889B01D83336E6.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Uesugi Kenshin - The famed God of War and follower of Bishamonten, Uesugi Kenshin was a prime example of an honorable leader and warrior. Someone has already mentioned his "salt episode" with Shingen(the one who had cut off Shingen's salt was Hojo Ujiyasu.) He faced Takeda Shingen at the plains of Kawanakajima five times in their career, and only barely beat Shingen in the fourth battle, with the others all being stalemates. While other major clans like the Imagawa, Takeda and Asakura were all devestated or destroyed in their encounters with Oda Nobunaga, Kenshin for his part would trounce Nobunaga when they crossed armies at the Tedorigawa in Noto Province. However, Kenshin would succumb to illness soon after that victory, giving Nobunaga leeway for his conquest. It is said upon learning of Kenshin's death that Nobunaga said, I paraphrase, "And now, the land is mine."

Pictured is Sanada Yukimura from Nobunaga's Ambition 12: Iron Triangle, the latest in that series(localized) of historical strategy games made by KOEI and what their ROTK strategy games were based on.

>> No.5997447
File: 33 KB, 240x240, m_DA775F162C9494A98710E92802710C32.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Mouri Motonari(pictured from Nobunaga's Ambition 12) - The daimyo of the Mouri clan of the Chugoku region in Western Japan. Before Nobunaga even became a speck on the map, Motonari was a very busy leader. Starting with a small clan nestled between two ancient, feuding houses (the Ouchi and Amago) Motonari's rise to power was filled with calculations and careful planning. With a genius grasp of strategy and manipulation, Motonari tirelessly crumbled each of these long-standing clans into extinction as his own tiny fief grew rapidly until by the time he died in 1570, the Mouri controlled the largest sphere of influence in all of Japan, even more than the Takeda or Hojo. The Mouri controlled nearly the entirety of Chugoku, had domain over the inland sea between the islands, and even had forts in northern Kyushu. Motonari is often considered the greatest strategist of his time. One of his most impressive feats was when he was barely even an adult: defending his home of Koriyama Castle from an assault from the neighboring Aki-Takeda, he personally led a measly army against the enemy who outnumbered him around 10 to 1, rallying his troops on the frontline. A lucky arrow strike killed the enemy commander, and Motonari's allies(at the time, he was subservient to the ancient Ouchi clan) arrived soon after and helped drive off the Aki-Takeda.

Other guys I recommend looking up:
Oda Nobunaga
Tokugawa Ieyasu
Toyotomi Hideyoshi
Yamanaka Shikanosuke
Amago Tsunehisa/Haruhisa
Tachibana Dosetsu/Muneshige
Otani Yoshitsugu
Kani Saizo
Shimazu Takahisa/Yoshihiro/Yoshihisa/Iehisa
Chosokabe Motochika/Morichika
Matsunaga Hisahide
Ashikaga Yoshiteru
Takenaka Hanbei
Satake Yoshishige
Imagawa Yoshimoto
Mogami Yoshiaki
Sanada Yukitaka/Masayuki/Yukimura
Maeda Toshiie
Shibata Katsuie
Kato Kiyomasa
Ukita Naoie/Hideie
Kobayakawa Takakage
Kikkawa Motoharu
Ryuzoji Takanobu
Kuroda Kanbei
Yamagata Masakage

>> No.5997459

>>5997447
Imagawa Yoshimoto?

I thought he was basically kind of a 'tard with a larger army and land and ended up being the first of Oda's decisive conquests.

>> No.5997481

>>5996035
I don't get this. I play a lot of eroge and I ain't a virgin. Is there some kind of bad rap eroge players get or something?

>> No.5997494

>>5997459

Yoshimoto suffers from a heavy pop culture mutation of his history. In fact, the man was a very capable leader and made the Imagawa into the most powerful they had ever been. He had defeated Nobunaga's father at the Battle of Azukizaka, and even defeated Nobunaga himself in a smaller battle prior to the Battle of Okehazama. He also arranged the Tripartite Alliance between the Takeda, Hojo and Imagawa, and was also well known as a man of culture and civil pursuits(Sumpu, his hometown, was a bustling trade city at the time of his death.) He was also known as one of the best archers in the Tokai region(this region spans from Suruga province over west into Mino.)

In all honestly, Nobunaga winning at Okehazama was a mix of Nobunaga's sheer daring and tactical skill and a lot of luck.

>> No.5997548

Nobunaga was my favorite General/Lord from Japan.

He made a BLACK GUY a samurai. Yes, there was a black samurai and Nobunaga made that guy a samurai.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yasuke

>> No.5997602

>>5997548

While Yasuke is a cool footnote for Nobunaga, he was never actually made a samurai. He was only in Nobunaga's care for only a year afterall. Perhaps if Nobunaga had not been killed by Akechi Mitsuhide then we may be reading about "Nobunaga's great foreign general Yasuke" or something.

>> No.5997633
File: 84 KB, 800x600, Gahahaha.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Rance Claire.

>> No.5997675

>>5997633
That's no real Japanese general.

But his game did have a lot of Japanese generals in it.

>> No.5997677

>>5997548
i liked nobunaga since he was open and (relatively) friendly to foreign cultures especially in a time like the sengoku period.

>> No.5997678
File: 114 KB, 250x365, yss2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

japanese dogs, bow down before glorious korea

>> No.5997684

>>5997677
If Nobunaga had become Shogun things would be different around here!

>> No.5997686
File: 104 KB, 815x653, Schwing.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5997675

I know, I know.

Although Rance and Basara were the key factors for my interest in the romance of three kingdoms.

>> No.5997704

>>5997678
Korea couldn't do shit if not for China saving your asses.

>> No.5997724

>>5995918
>>Xiahou Dun never got shot in the eye
This is real,you can search"三國志"

>> No.5997727

>>5997678
I like the fact that corea has yet to produce a game series of their own that is on par with the Three Kingdoms or the Warring States theme.

Oh wait, there's Starcraft.

>> No.5997739

>>5997704
China didn't save Chosun at that time, they only agreed to send some reinforcements to Korea because they feared that if by any chance Japan did manage to successfully invade the Korean (which was slim to none) border they would pose a problem to the Chinese Emperor.

>> No.5997793

>>5997739

Indeed. Yi-Sun Shin did a damn good job of kicking Hideyoshi's ass anyway. On sea, that is.

I should point out though, that on the ground the Japanese invaders were beating the Koreans all the way up to the Chinese border. If China hadn't sent in reinforcements when they did, well-timed with Yi-Sun tearing up the Japanese navy and their supply line from Japan, then Korea very well could have lost.

>>
Name
Subject
Comment
Action