[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/jp/ - Otaku Culture

View post   

File: 44 KB, 600x450, VN.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
5914960 No.5914960 [Reply] [Original]

Thread dedicated to VNs you have enjoyed, whether that be recent or in the past. Feel free to post your favorites as well.

Feel free to indirectly recommend in your own post VNs that some others might enjoy as well

Thread pretty much dedicated to VNs we've enjoyed. Not at all a troll thread nor a "what VN should I read" thread. Just some good clean fun and expressing what we've enjoyed.

P.S.: Sorry for the poor choice of the picture if you are wondering, my old laptop got busted and this is a brand new one, hence why I don't have better images.

>> No.5914980
File: 230 KB, 800x600, fuck yes miyako.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Majikoi. The most fun I've ever had reading a VN

God damn I need to read it again sometime

>> No.5914989

Well right now I'm enjoying Baldr Force EX a lot.
Kinda late on this I guess, though I did play Baldr Sky.

I have to say, it's one of the finest example of an eroge that start pretty badly and end up great.
The first route, Minori, was shit, I almost gave up on the game.
But I persevered and I'm glad I did.

>> No.5915022
File: 64 KB, 1024x576, mura9.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Soukou Akki Muramasa was ok I guess. It's been a while since I've did a VN

>> No.5915054

Right now I'm going through Kira Kira and really enjoying it. I am entry-level on the VN scale, but at this point my favorite is Yume miru kusuri- mainly for the music, and the themes about getting away from reality. although I never finished the presidents route, I couldn't get into it.

I want to find some depressing visual novels, I've looked on vndb.org but most of the ones they have under categories that should apply to my interest are either untranslated, or the summaries of the game make me wonder if it's really worth playing- and in a few cases the art is a turn off.

Although not a VN, I recently played Yume Nikki and that was fabulous. I'd loved to play a VN like that.

Just a side note this is my favorite song from YMK and I listen to it at least a couple times a week: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HCw8xbAsJZ0

>> No.5915071

>>5914980
Fffffuuuuuu I want to read it so badly, but my kanji is still weak like child. It's a race between english translation and my studying.

>> No.5915087

>>5915054
>I want to find some depressing visual novels, I've looked on vndb.org but most of the ones they have under categories that should apply to my interest are either untranslated, or the summaries of the game make me wonder if it's really worth playing- and in a few cases the art is a turn off

I know what you mean. Hopefully night time /jp/ will take over the thread and contribute some of their favorites as well as recommendations. Possibly generate some constructive discussion about their recent or past ventures in VN genres.

I'm going to keep this bumped in the meantime

>> No.5915094 [DELETED] 

>enjoyed
>VN
Reported.

>> No.5915107 [DELETED] 

>>5915094
>>5915094
the sage
the report button

it does nothing

>> No.5915114 [DELETED] 

>>5915107
sage

>> No.5915123 [DELETED] 

>>5915114
I don't know if you're trolling or serious

I know you can hide the thread, just fucking hide it

>> No.5915132 [DELETED] 

>>5915123
Christ you're reported.

>> No.5915138 [DELETED] 

>>5915123
>>5915114
>>5915107
>>5915094
Reported for report abuse and general autism.

>> No.5915141 [DELETED] 

>>5915123
Fuck you, nigger. It's because of all this people who enjoy VNs /jp/ is shit now. Reported.

>> No.5915145

Thank god that retard parade got cleaned up.

>> No.5915166

>>5915071
>ffffuuu
>>>/b/

>> No.5915364

I just played ever 17 myself, it was my first visual novel(Unless you count phoenix wright and if you go waaaaay back Deja Vu and the Uninvited). Got kind of bored with subsequent playthroughs since the scene skip wasn't really a scene skip and instead just a fast forward that kind of emulated mashing the enter key.

But unlocking the true path it was worth the trouble.

Not really a fan of the obvious >implication that you, the player, are the 4th dimensional being, but I was able to block it out and pretend that it wasn't me. And while some tweests were obvious there were some good ones in there too. The mommy Tsugumi reveal was my favorite part of the game.

>> No.5915380

The fact that I played them is enough to tell that I liked them, no?

My favorite was Symphonic Rain.

>> No.5915415

Favourite as always, LB! EX, currently enjoying Oretsuba

>> No.5915425
File: 16 KB, 480x360, 0.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

May Sky was very enjoyable.
A light-hearted romantic comedy with great to music.
A nice read to take a break from the more serious VNs.

>> No.5915473
File: 228 KB, 816x637, subacow.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Just finished reading Subahibi a couple of days ago.

Well-written scenario, perhaps a little slow to start, but quite engaging once you get past the opening. The bits of philosophy thrown in from time to time made it a little difficult to read, but overall a very good game.

>> No.5915477
File: 1.06 MB, 1296x968, Woah!.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

You is waifu

>> No.5915485

>>5915054

Swan Song is depressing.

>> No.5915508

>>5915485
Depressing VNs are good.

>> No.5915518

>>5915425
Second that. I liked the extra chapter the best, but the main game was quite good overall, with an unusually realistic progression of the leads' relationship.

>> No.5915529 [DELETED] 
File: 2.22 MB, 2592x1936, hhg.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5915485
Swan song wasn't really depressing. I just thought it was poorly written, I still enjoyed it a good deal.
If you want sad read Kana imouto or something, the VN I found the most said was Kira Kira surprisingly. I guess because it was my 3rd or so VN and everything else I read was pretty tame and happy (yume miru, Fate/stay night) and I really liked Kirari. I was really sad for a few days after that, I am looking for VN that could do that to me again but I think it was a one time thing.
Currently learning japanese to read *name with held to avoid spoilers* to hopefully get depressed.

>> No.5915537

>>5915529
You do realize you just posted a major spoiler, right?

>> No.5915547

>>5915537
sorry

Swan song wasn't really depressing. I just thought it was poorly written, I still enjoyed it a good deal.
If you want sad read Kana imouto or something, the VN I found the most sad was Kira Kira surprisingly. I guess because it was my 3rd or so VN and everything else I read was pretty tame and happy (yume miru, Fate/stay night) and I really liked Kirari. I was really sad for a few days after that, I am looking for VN that could do that to me again but I think it was a one time thing.
Currently learning japanese to read *name with held to avoid spoilers* to hopefully get depressed.

>> No.5915561

>>5915054
Saya no Uta, Planetarian, and Swan Song are what you want.

>> No.5915563
File: 667 KB, 1247x935, Youmad.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5915477

Why You mad tho?

>> No.5915593

>>5915563
I don't know what happened to make You so mad but damn, You is so mad.

>> No.5915603

>>5915561

Yep...Planetarian and Swan song are on my list, although I must admit Swan Song will have to impress me (survivors in an earthquake isn't the most upsetting scenario to me). I did get Kana imouto but it wouldn't install correctly...I have to get another version.

I'm going back to Kira Kira for now though, they're about to get into Kyoto.

>> No.5915621
File: 181 KB, 800x600, Sharin-no-Kuni-ss-01.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

My favorite, haven't read anything else in a while.
At first I thought the protagonist was a douchebag and I forced myself to read through the first few minutes.
I'm pretty glad I went through the whole thing.
Seems someone is used the same image..

>> No.5915626
File: 198 KB, 450x337, kk162.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5915603
Enjoy friend, hope you didn't read my spoiler in the earlier post.

>> No.5915634

I really, really enjoyed Princess Waltz and Saya no Uta, these are the only VN's that I couldn't stop reading.

I would list YMK but after Aeka's route I couldn't finish the president's route and I stopped reading KiraKira when chapter 1 ended...they were really good, I must finish them.

>> No.5915645

Recently most enjoyed VN for me was Sharin no Kuni. I already made a thread on it so I won't say much, but I liked how the story/plot gripped me enough to play it almost non-stop.

Other VNs I enjoyed were Shuffle (my first VN so that may play a role in me liking it) and Yume Miru Kusuri. Snow Sakura was decent, too, although it's strange that the cover girl's route is one of the worse ones (she's unusually an ass there).

>> No.5915682

My favorite VN, out of the few I've played, is Ever 17.
A few others worth mentioning are:
CHAOS;HEAD
Saya no Uta
Higurashi no Naku Koro ni
Kana - Little Sister

>> No.5915773
File: 275 KB, 800x600, SayanoUta.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Probably enjoyed this the most, but shit was too scary and I couldn't finish it.

>> No.5915804

No FSN and Tsukihime?

>> No.5915847

>>5915804
>enjoy
>tsukihime

>> No.5915897

Just finished Unlimited recently and thoroughly enjoyed it.
Went in with minimal hype thanks to /jp/ saying how extra/unlimited is shit.
Such a beautiful ending with 遥かなる地球の歌 playing and Takeru ending speech.

It is quite hard to find eroge/VN with satisfying ending. Most of them start with huge promise and usually end up badly with terrible anti climatic scene.

The other VN that I really enjoy and left me satisfied at the end are Cross Channel, Ever17 and Kohaku true end.

>> No.5916003

Out of curiousity, is Tsukihime the same length as Sharin no Kuni (without skipping scenes) or is Tsukihime longer?

>> No.5916029

>>5915773
Currently my favorite VN. Couldn't bring myself to finish reading F/SN after the third choice. Why the fuck are there so many choices?

>> No.5916078

>>5915897
I think you'll love Alternative's ending.

>> No.5916453
File: 1.34 MB, 1600x1200, baldaa_sukai.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

The VN that I enjoyed and liked the most is Baldr Sky for me. I really can't say anything bad about it, as it was so great experience for me, well maybe some minor nitpicks, but thats all. The one thing I really liked about it was that the pacing in it was great, which cannot be said about many other VNs, there was always something happening and it didn't dwell too long on anything, and it was interesting straight from the start till the very end when usually most VNs start slow, only times it maybe had bit of slow time was in middle at some parts. But you overally really can't find many VNs that have as good pacing as Baldr Sky. Other than that it had great cast of characters, and high productions values. The gameplay parts also feel natural and are quite addicting instead of "tacked on feature". The setting and plot were great, detailed and lenghty, altough it had quite a few cliches, but who cares about them too much as long as its entertaining. Also pretty good bricks here and there. The plot also offers wide variety of things for different audiences as there is little bit of everything for everyone, theres action, drama, comedy, romance, etc.
Overally Kous search for his lost memory, bright sky and the truth of grey christmas, and all the events that happens during that journey made one of the best experiences that I have had in my life in entertainment.

Only thing it left me wanting was more, can't fucking wait for fandisk.

>> No.5916489
File: 912 KB, 816x638, baldrsky.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5916453
I didn't care for the flashback story telling, forced route order, the way the romance 'developed' between the characters, and the rape scenes.

>> No.5916540

>>5916489
well, each one for their own. Personaly I didn't mind the forced route order, it was somewhat requiered in order to somewhat reasonably to explaing the story cohorently, or else it would been big clusterfuck and confusing. Well the romance was part was probably one of the weakest parts tough, but still liked it. And I fucking loved how the story was told intermingling present and past/flashback moments, it felt somewhat fresh way to present the story and it wouldn't been so interesting to follow if Kou wouldn't have lost his memory, and the flashbacks just didn't feel infodumbs but parts of the how the story flowed. And rape were pretty non-existant, theres what like 2 proper rape scenes in all, other one could be completely skipped and other shortened, and then there was few that could lead to rape but didn't. So I don't really see that as problem for those that really don't like them.

But each one have their own tastes, that sometimes don't fit others.

>> No.5916809
File: 291 KB, 800x600, untitled.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I played Ayakashibito like half a year ago and it's one hell of a game, really.
Some of the first scenarios (Touka's for example with all the stalker shit) weren't as interesting, but goddamn, Suzu's + Kaoru's route really made up for it, and those routes are epic in the truest sense of the word.
If you played at least one route of Bullet Butlers (which I found quite lacklustre), then you can go ahead and read Chrono Belt, which is definitely one of the best fandisk ever made. The Crossover parts were delivered incredibly excellently, the Bullet Butlers parts were free of the shitty parts, and again, the character interactions and humor were truly great +dat Ending.
These two together are probably my favorites as far as action eroge goes.

>> No.5916859

Alternative for the whole ending part and main character development
Muramasa for the refreshing lack of good guys/bad guys tropes, great script, heroines and setting
Sharnoth for characters and atmosphere
FSN for the action and because I'm a huge mythology nerd (which is why Nasu's other works don't impress me as much).
Soukai no Oujo-tachi because the gameplay really made you feel like the captain of an U-boat

actually, I find I enjoy pretty much everything I play as long as it's not terribad. Maybe it's because I only recently reached a level of proficiency high enough to play untranslated ones, so as long as I can understand everything they say it feels great, like a milestone in my language progress.

>> No.5916909
File: 134 KB, 462x654, 2top04.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

hana to otome in shukufuku wo
really average game, nothing fantastic at all, some really stupid story plot at times
but i enjoyed the hell out of it, it was just so entertaining with all the trap hijinks going on
http://www.ensemble-game.com/01.hanaotome/top.html

>> No.5916938
File: 1.93 MB, 2000x1396, random_IM_screens.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Another VN that I have greatly enjoyed besdies Baldr Sky is Ikusa Megami Zero/Verita (haven't played IM1&2 yet, so cant comment of them yet. Mainy because I'mwaiting more information of the remake thats supposedly in making).

One of the reasons I found IM Zero/Verita so enjoyable was the well done setting, story and characters. It might start bit like your typical jrpg with your goody two shoe hero and so on. But that just makes the impact that much more emotional when Serika obtains trough his deeds the cursed title of god slayer. And all the events that follows make it quite interesting to read as fate has tendency to kick Serika in the nuts with all that shit that he gets. Also the thing that I enjoyed most in it was how you actually have feeling like you are on adventure as you travel around the world. And it was refreshing to see that most of time its not you after the the antogonist, but antogonist after you. It's also enjoyable to see the passage of time in the world and how the world changes around Serika, like meeting people and then centuries later meeting their descendant. Also the character development that some of the characters go trough is nice and enjoyable to watch.

stupid field is too long error....

>> No.5916944

cont'd >>5916938

So the story that spans ages and centuries that pass, and how the characters live their lives and the changing world, manage to create fantasy story thats quite epic in feeling and scale. And it's that what makes it so enjoyable in my opinion.
Also pretty decent rpg. And then the art is just gorgerous and the OST is very fitting and good too.

So yeah, I'd say anyone who like good seinen fantasy stories with well made world and characters should definately check it out if they haven't already.
Also moe-fags and those who don't like tragic stories or rape(especially Zero), probably should stay away from this. Also people who like fast paced hot blooded action probably wont like it (you are etter checking >>5916809
out), altough IM has quite deal of action its not oriented for that or most of the time action is from the gameplay. It also has leasuring pace, with sometimes some events happening bit slow, but that was one of the points that made me "feel" the world so to say.

>> No.5917109
File: 26 KB, 240x320, miko4-9.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Kagura Douchuuki on the highest difficulty is pretty challenging and fun.
Story is kind of lame but the characters are fun.

I also like how Nazuna goes from im going to murder you to please let me go ;_; when raped

>> No.5917138
File: 297 KB, 800x600, lake.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

My favourite VN remains Little Witch Romanesque. The game is fun throughout with all the quests and events, quite amusing at times, although it does get serious at times in the end routes; and to top it all off Oyari Ashito's art is God tier. Whilst I think Kaya had the better ending, Aria had by far the better H-scene. Delicious purple gloves, stockings and corset combo...

>> No.5917269

I'm playing Kiriya hakushakuken no rokushimai and I love it for the character designs and dark story
shame it's pathetically short and goes nowhere

>> No.5917293

I have such a hard time deciding on a favorite, but I really love anything written by Urobuchi Gen. I'm a fan of Higurashi and Umineko, although I think that with both, some of the episodes are unimpressive, while others are excellent. I quite like Fate/Stay Night(Gasp). Ever17 was good, although I don't really find it as amazing as some people.

I'll just stop here, as I seem to like far too many things. As well, I cannot read japanese, which means that my list is rather generic anyway.

>> No.5917306
File: 103 KB, 810x656, ilya put_it_in.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

1. FSN (hate me ^_______^)
2. Utawarerumono
3. Tsukihime
4. Sharin no kuni

>> No.5917315

>>5917306
>^_______^
I can't tell if this is a self-depreciating jab at the Type-Moon fanbase or if you're serious. If it's the latter, please stop.

>> No.5917330

Hello, World was one of the most surprisingly enjoyable title for me.
Been like 3 years ago, I simply played it because it was the last thing I had to do from Nitroplus and I felt obligated to give a try since I enjoyed all the other titles a lot.
But I wasn't too hyped given the artwork and the fact I didn't hear much about it.

And it was an awesome experience, start a bit slowly but it's interesting from the beginning thank to the protagonist.
Became my favorite Nitroplus, though it was overcome by Muramsa recently.

>> No.5917344

>>5917306

look at that Illya, QUALITY art

>> No.5917352
File: 23 KB, 414x425, 1274185408442.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Umineko, everything else so far has been pretty boring

>>5915773
>SnU
>Scary

>> No.5917364
File: 334 KB, 1279x951, 1242485085937.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.5917433
File: 129 KB, 800x600, 161.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Right now I'm playing some older or under-hyped(for me) eroge, finished several in the past month.

For their enjoyability:
-Ricotte: Very good, I thought it was only going to be loli eroge but the scenario was surprisingly solid, must play for people who like good stories and a good loli

-Silhouette: Great art done by that Korean artist who does UnbalancexUnbalance, Freezing, etc...
Protag is a bit annoying but you get used to him, the story is good though and the heroines great. Not really a must play but it does have its surprising twists.

-Rakuen: Awesome, if I was to translate an eroge it would be this one especially since it's pretty short, an eroge about making eroge, the cast is great and quirky, the humor awesome and the dialogues fantastic.
It's pretty much a must play for fans of this media.

-Elysion: Great atmosphere, almost felt like I was really in Sicily at time. The scenario is pretty good and the way it reveals a bit of the overal mystery in each route was delicious.

-Yumemishi: This one I don't understand why it's not more popular.
Production values are great, heroines are awesome, the scenario is very good, it can be pretty touching and the bad endings are brutal.
It can make you cry and make you shit bricks.
It has its faults but the goodness of the overall product are more than enough to qualify it as a great eroge.

>> No.5917453
File: 168 KB, 358x1000, 11eyes53455.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

No matter what you say I love 11eyes.

>> No.5917472
File: 27 KB, 261x261, fish eye.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5917344
he's done worse, didn't you read Kagetsu?
hell, this is cropped from the art book

>> No.5917481

>>5917472
Something is wrong with this.

>> No.5917496

>>5917109
How can you bring yourself to not lose on purpose?

>> No.5917500

FSN. I don't care if it's shit, it will always be my first love.

>> No.5918240

I really enjoyed Ouzoku. The gameplay is hard but enjoyable and the story is interesting.

The story is basically that there's this one country that managed to conquer 90% of the continent. The few remaining countries are all barely staying alive. The protagonist is a genius strategist that almost managed to prevent the country that's employing him from being conquered, unfortunately an internal revolt occurred and they lost. The protagonist then started traveling around as a mercenary, offering his services to the countries that have not yet lost. He ended up on a small kingdom in the south, Elt. Elt was doing well thanks to the head general but he died in the war along with the king and other high-ranking officials. In a crisis, they put the head general's daughter as the head of the army to instill morale, unfortunately she doesn't know anything about war so they ended up losing half their territory. To prevent things from worsening even more they hired the protagonist as the girl's advisor effectively making him the shadow head of the army.

What I really like on this game is how it portrays the troops. Your troops interact with each other telling jokes, recounting their life story, sometimes flirting and doing other random things. You might see a soldier being afraid since it's his first time in battle and the other soldiers encouraging him. You might see someone being really ecstatic at the end of the fight since he made a bet and he's now getting married. Or you might see a scene where a soldier describes how the school on the town you just liberated makes him feel nostalgic on his student days and how he met his wife. This bits and pieces aren't important to the plot but it humanizes them. It gives them personality and makes you realize that these are people with their own life and not some statistic.

>> No.5918281

>>5918240
would you recommend finishing it?
I read the prologue and a bit of chapter 1, but felt like it was trying too hard to be Rance of something, what with Jin asking as a reward the right to fuck the Prime Minister and the Head General of the country he's employed by.
Also, does the elf dragon rider I saw in the opening have a route?

>> No.5918314

I just finished Saya no Uta. Less than an hour ago, in fact.
At first I was reluctant to start reading it because the whole story seemed too weird, but boy, did it draw me in. Read it in two sittings, because I had to sleep in the middle.

I'll never doubt you, /jp/, when you hype a VN ever again, I promise.

>> No.5918330

>>5915621
As soon as I heard that song that plays in the very beginning and when ken beats houzuki I knew it would be a great read.

>> No.5918347

>>5918281
Definitely. The game has the most satisfying harem end I have ever read. That's not really telling much though since most harem end sucks.

He isn't really anything like Rance, he just asked that to gauge how desperate they are, he even forgot about it during the game. Also you can clear the game without fucking them.

The game doesn't have a route, it's linear. It has ends for all the characters though.

>> No.5918356

>>5915621
Fuck yea sharin no kuni. Still waiting for full fan disk translations. Even though it will never happen ._.

>> No.5918367

>>5918347
I see. I will continue to see how it goes. Thanks for replying.

>> No.5918390

I loved Shuffle! and Da Capo. Ok? I said it.

>> No.5918401

>>5918314
doubt them, sometimes they hype the strangest things

>> No.5918406

Cross Channel was in my opinion a pretty deep visual novel. I know it brought this sense of despair at one point where I was thinking: Nothing I do in this will change anything.

>> No.5918441

I enjoyed chaos head, if only it was just about a neet and a crazy yandere, i would of loved it more.

>> No.5918467
File: 154 KB, 800x600, 1304.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

By the way, I don't see ef in this thread. I'm still reading it, but soundtrack, and cg are great (well, actually bgm is more like good than great, but oh well).
Pic related. It's some random ef cg from vndb.

>> No.5918489

>>5918467

Is there still a place to get the game?

>> No.5918490

>>5918314
I'll be here laughing at that statement if Gore Screaming Show ever gets translated

>> No.5918543

>>5918489
I got mine from hongfire. It's nnl version of translation+game. Try browsing hongfire, maybe it's still there.

>> No.5918580

>>5918489
Search for ef lite (cnd) file in isohunt, very easy to find. english patch here
http://rapidshare.com/files/412564074/ef_Lite_Installer__nnl_.exe

>> No.5918830

>>5918356

The translators don't want to do it because it's "mostly fanservice." I know Houzuki's chapter is the main part of the fandisc and all, but having full completion wouldn't hurt.

>> No.5918873
File: 37 KB, 325x325, 1280840934915.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5918830

over 5000 lines for each heroine = 25000 lines of boring slice of life eros without any actual story value at all.

>but having full completion wouldn't hurt.

it does, there are much better slice of life eros around, and translators are not gonna do that bunch of crap. Eri's route or the omake maybe, but not the heroine after stories.

>> No.5918881

>>5918830
We'll never see the Mana threesome translated?

>> No.5918925

'Didn't want to translate the other scenarios' isn't really the right way to look at it. More like, 'they just wanted to translate the Houzuki scenario' in the first place. Note how the Xbox360 version of Sharin no Kuni comes with the original game+Houzuki scenario, since the Houzuki scenario is important to the story. Just pretend that what was translated was the console port material or something.

>> No.5918970

>>5918580

What's "lite" about it?

>> No.5919083
File: 375 KB, 800x600, snap175.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Bengarachou Hakubutsushi and Kagerou Touryuuki (both by raiL-soft), both among my top favorites.

Both are extremely unique and extremely well-written visual novels, and take the atmospheric element to a level I have not experienced in any other visual novel. The raiL-soft text is at times more or less a pain in the ass to read, but both games felt extremely rewarding once I had completed them. Fantastic music as well.

I did not include Albatross Koukairoku in this post because I haven't finished it yet.

>> No.5919089

>>5918970
There were planning on a later release with the fandiscs included. The first release was called "lite", as in, not having them included.

But now with the deal with minori and all that, that plan was probably scrapped.

>> No.5919181

I'll post one that I finished yesterday. Full of spoilers but whatever.
Little Busters!
I was quite skeptical because of KEY and drama, really. But LB turned out to be pretty different from their usual standard VNs that only get good after the awful SoL ends and the actual romance/drama starts.
The main route was great, it's quite funny and the gameplay/battles/baseball is great (only did them twice both during Rin bad and Rin normal), if you are reading it for the sake of completion it gets kinda in the middle. Apart from that the comedy was really good and it was quite funny to read.
I liked all the characters bar Haruka, annoying selfish bitch, yes i know you have family problems just shut the fuck up a bit, god. Kyousuke, Kengo and Masato were all awesome bros in every sense of the word and their parts in refrain were excellent and made me tear, the same with Kyousuke, cried like a bitch during his part. The whole theme about friendship was really well carried out. They don't have to do sappy romances to provoke emotion. The heroines ranged from pretty good to bad, in order for me: Rin>Kurugaya>Komari>Mio>Midori=Kud>Haruka, yes, I know Midori isn't a proper heroine but the girl was funny and some of her conversations with Riki were quite good. I kinda wish I had downloaded EX, Sasami was awesome, they hint her route thorugh the whole game without delivering, so was Kanata. Btw, the reason I ranked Kurugaya so high is that she's a better version of Tomoyo in my opinion, she's still perfect but has serious flaws and problems, and her actual end was great, and a bit moving if I can say. Komari route was quite well done, her craziness was well carried and properly explained, Mio's route was about 'self', a topic I kinda like so it was interesting. Kud's route was boring and picked up at the end, though I don't know why they made Wafter, she wasn't such a good heroine to deserve it.

>> No.5919186

>>5919181
Of course, Rin's route+refrain gets full points, it was excellent in my opinion. yeah, it has the usual 'it's KEYmagic I ain't gonna explain shit', but the rest of the routes had it to so it wasn't such a problem. I was kinda expecting the whole reveal about the fake world, some parts made it quite obvious. It fleshed out really well the whole cast and the change of perspective helped a lot and made it more entertaining as not to lose focus. And finally, the end. I wouldn't have forgiven KEY if tey hadn't done their usual 'happy magical end', really, it would have shit on the whole development of everyone in the fake world, if you are dead, your development becomes kinda irrelevant. It also fitted well with the whole development Riki had during LB route, basically turning himself into Kyousuke and having to mature faster. Yeah, it's kinda the opposite of what Kyousuke intended, but the fact is that both Riki and Rin accept the world and decided to create a new one because, and I agree with this, it was absolutely unfair to the cast.
After the rant about plot and characters: the art was pretty good, far better than Clannad, if they fixed Haruka and Komari's eyes in something smaller or flatter, they would have been better. the music was great, Rita was great, and the BGMs were great, god I love repeating myself.
So all in all, I'd give it a 9.2, the individual routes weren't that good, but refrain was golden and some of the heroines were really sweet.

>> No.5919227

>>5919181
>>5919186

Not reading the spoilers, but isn't the Little Busters translation still incomplete? Or were you just reading moon?

>> No.5919234

>>5918873
I'd settle for a translated Eri route

>> No.5919245

>>5919227
Reading moon.
One of my first VNs in moon actually. Still used the patch for the translated parts.
Also by now, he should have finished all the individual routes, they aren't that long.

>> No.5919266

>>5919181

I didn't really like the individual routes in LB bar Rin+Refrain and Saya.
They felt weaker than the average for Key.

>> No.5919287

>>5919245

They're dicking around still. only 20% or something for the next route.

>> No.5919308

>>5919266
I didn't find them weaker than Kanon or some of Air's routes really. They were kinda short but actually foreshadowed the whole thing.
But I agree, they should have been better done, at least there wasn't too much drama, which was kinda refreshing.

>> No.5919342

Kinda related tl the thread.
Anyone has read sinsemilla? didn't heard much about it but they were really good things.
Should i read it?

>> No.5920035

>>5919342
haven't read it, but yeah I have heard good things about it too. Really worth the read from what I've heard. There was small review of it in there somewhere in archives from the general/weekly eroge discussion threads. Don't have time to look it up, but shouldn't be too hard to find if you try to look it up.

>> No.5920112 [DELETED] 

>>5920035
found it. IN case someone wants it too
>It's not a "oh wow best thing ever masterpiece" VN, but it has some interesting thoughts about japanese culture and did fairly good at spreading the plot points through the routes.
And the fact that every female character has her own route (or bad ending, for the aunt) has earned points with the players. The staff took a lot of time answering questions at the OHP every week.
If you play it without expecting too much, you'll definitely like it. My only complaint was the subheroin routes being kinda short and the feeling that the final route could be better than it was. But it was not bad at any means.
Also, blood related sister as main heroin is refreshing. Sakuya is not the usual clingy sister, she keeps some distance from her brother, but without being all tsuntsun or hating him like you see a lot. That title screenshot is probably the only screen where you'll see that bright smile for the whole game.

>> No.5920129

>>5920035
found it. IN case someone wants it too
>It's not a "oh wow best thing ever masterpiece" VN, but it has some interesting thoughts about japanese culture and did fairly good at spreading the plot points through the routes.
>And the fact that every female character has her own route (or bad ending, for the aunt) has earned points with the players. The staff took a lot of time answering questions at the OHP every week.
>If you play it without expecting too much, you'll definitely like it. My only complaint was the subheroin routes being kinda short and the feeling that the final route could be better than it was. But it was not bad at any means.
>Also, blood related sister as main heroin is refreshing. Sakuya is not the usual clingy sister, she keeps some distance from her brother, but without being all tsuntsun or hating him like you see a lot. That title screenshot is probably the only screen where you'll see that bright smile for the whole game.

>> No.5920145

I've been enjoyed Umineko so far. I've been very delayed on indulging into the supposed masterpiece that is seacats, but I must say, it's actually really fucking. Only read 1 and half of 2 so far, though. Bracing for the details behind this whole ShKanon malarkey.

>> No.5920164

>>5920145
>into the supposed masterpiece that is seacats
Don't start like that. It's fairly entertaining with great music. The best part of it till ep6 was the discussion threads.

>> No.5920181

>>5920164
I was just joking. But yeah, amazing music, really. Just listening to some of the music really motivates me to read it. Without the music, I probably wouldn't even touch Umineko.

>> No.5920201

>>5920145
>it's actually really fucking

But sir, I see no fucking anywhere.

>> No.5920211

>>5920181
>I probably wouldn't even touch Umineko.
No one would. BUt you can have a fun time if you don't think too hard about it.
Also, ep2 is quite bad, the worst of the bunch, gets better in the end though. Also if you manage not to slit your wrists during ep4, congrats.

>> No.5920228

>>5920201
>fucking good.
Is what I meant, silly me.

>> No.5920370

Please don't derail this thread to yet another umineko crap.

>> No.5920825

>>5919181
>Rin>Kurugaya>Komari>Mio>Midori=Kud>Haruka
I'm pretty angry
Why don't you download EX and play the other 3 routes? Sasasegawa Sasami's was a bit disappointing but Saya's is easily my second favourite after Refrain.

>> No.5923249

bumb for good thread

>> No.5923376

in b4 that Utawarerumono guy

>> No.5926161
File: 329 KB, 804x632, exttrava1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

inb4 Black-cyc shit suxs and overhyped shit, etc.

But anyway I really liked and enjoyed Extravaganza. No I didn't enjoy it because it was masterpiece of story or great action or anything like that, as it isn't those. Also it wasn't because guro or rape (well okay I have some hardcore rape fetish so it was one of the reasons, but not the main raeson). The reason I enjoyed it was because it managed to create unsetling feeling of despair and general twisted atmosphere it had, which was suberb in my opinion. Also it was enjoyable due to it's MC Yumemi, she was really good character, and it was nice too see how a normal person deals with the absurd situation she ends up in. it was also neat how the story spanned from child to teen to adult. Also altough the story wasn't any where near masterpiece, it was still good, and why I liked it was how it was told. The ammount of choices in it and how even small differences can have some bigger effects on outcome of things. Also it was neat as you "explored" all the different routes you little by little learn all the underlying reasons why something happen in other routes which wont be always explained at that route. Well it still had some decent action scenes too, but really they weren't the main focus of it.

tl;dr I enjoyd Extravaganza mainly because of the twisted atmosphere it had and how the story was constructed. Also because it had some really delicious hardcore rape in it.

Fun Fact: It doesn't even have one normal consentual sex scene, well actually it has but it's like "fade to black and put one line of text: And then they had sex." And that like made me laugh so hard when it happened first time.

>> No.5926275

I'm reading through the Air translation right now. The english really isn't that bad. Not good, but completely readable. There are a lot of untranslated bits strewn throughout the arcs though.

>> No.5926320
File: 24 KB, 362x232, Captur.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Okay, on a reltaed topic, I tried starting up sinsemilla and I get an error like this, any help?

>> No.5926354

Anyone who claims to have been amused or to have laughed at a VN can safely have their entire opinion about any VN completely ignored.

I hate these threads because the tastes you gay asian kids have in VNs is, simply put, god awful, and it makes me want to rise to the defence.

>> No.5926459

>>5926354

Rise to the defense of what? You're not being clear on what you're unhappy about.

>> No.5926477

>>5926354
Huh? Why would you read something that doesn't amuse you?

>> No.5926497

>>5926459
>>5926477

Please ignore him. This thread has been civil, and good.

>> No.5926524
File: 113 KB, 816x638, Capture.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5926320
Did you download the crack for it?
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=2OMQJFJ6

>> No.5926805

>>5926524
Yeah.... no, thanks for this. Really.
Also the way to use AGTH (as an easy way for a dictionary) is a bit retarded.

>> No.5926849

>Also the way to use AGTH (as an easy way for a dictionary) is a bit retarded.
Not really, if you think it's retarded it's probably because you still need to look up a lot of words. For the odd word here and there, it's a godsend.

>> No.5926860

Right now i'm playing Swan song (spoilers ahed) and I really like it.
I got to the part where the Daiji society is ruined.
I really hate that Taku guy, I felt bad for him at the start and then when he went through a change I thought he was sort of badass but he turning into the evil guy was really suprising.

Anyway, Besides that I also suggest you guys to play the X-change series, it's not the best story wise but I really like it.

>> No.5927120

I'm not actually liking Oretsuba any more. I think I might drop it.

>> No.5927141

Currently playing Kikokugai: The Cyber Slayer. This is my first "kinetic novel"; playing a VN with no choices is new to me. However, I'm enjoying what I'm reading so far. I even managed to ignore/get over the heavier-than-usual mosaic censoring, the story and action is that interesting.

The protagonist has just defeated the second enemy and made a deal with some dude at the beach. I wonder how much more to go.

>> No.5927155

>>5927120
And what is your problem?
As usual your taste is pretty weird.

>> No.5927162

>>5926849
No, I don't mean that, I just use it for the odd word. I mean that in this game you have to set a different word for AGTH to pick up the words, which is retarded

>> No.5927181

>>5927162
>different word
meant font

>> No.5927199
File: 241 KB, 800x600, 25.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

One eroge I really enjoyed was Genrin no Kishougun 2.
Probably my favorite gameplay geared eroge, it's similar to a Fire Emblem but with more customizing option and shits to do.
The gameplay is challenging and surprisingly deep, the cast of characters is great, the story is surprisingly solid, there is enough variations in the choices to have 3 pretty different playthroughs.
And the main antagonist, Ekuria, is fucking awesome, especially so since you can see her become a main heroine in the sequels.
One of my favorite eroge.

>> No.5927218

>>5927199
I've been meaning to play Genrin in order to get the cameos later in Verita.
Would you recommend skipping 1 and going directly to the second? Would I miss a lot of stuff?

>> No.5927255

>>5927218
There is a resume of Genrin 1 included in Genrin 2, just read it.
It's about 1 hour long.

>> No.5927304

I wish the western VN market was bigger. It would be great to see many of the games mentioned here, and other interesting ones I've seen, translated. The western VN base would probably be a bit bigger if they actually bothered to translate VNs that are popular in the community, especially ones that have gameplay.

>> No.5927305

>>5927155
What do you mean as usual? Anyways, I was enjoying the first 3 chapters, but once the 4th started I was really not enjoying it. It was completely uninteresting to read, and I thought it was too much a change from the general tone up to that point. But, I thought I'd keep reading until at least the next chapter, but I'm not liking chapter 5 either. I don't like the way the plot is developing, I don't like Youji, I think they have too many protagonists at this point, it's just getting uninteresting to read. At first I was interested because I saw Kobato had an ending after you cleared the rest, but I thought she would be with Takashi, but now I realise her ending is with this Youji kid. I also don't understand why to me, all the protagonists look and sound different (I mean, Shuusuke even has a different hair colour) yet the characters in the game seem only able to tell them apart by their personalities. And what's the deal with Koudain not having a route? What a troll that is.

>> No.5927338

>>5927305
You are wrong about Kobato's route.
Don't worry about it, it's pretty much the best route and the protagonist of this route is the true Youji, not the kid but the sum of every personalities
And how could you dislike Garuda? He is awesome, doesn't appear as much as I would have liked though.

And for the protagonists don't look the same, it's a DID thing, they all actually look the same but the way they perceive themselves is different from what they actually look like.

>> No.5927345

>>5927255
really? Awesome, thanks.
>>5927304
things are moving. Compare the numer of games you can play now and the number of official releases with three or four years ago, when all you had was mirror moon, Crescendo and nukige.

>> No.5927388

>>5927338
I didn't like Garuda because I don't, he's like crazy, stabbing that one lady in the alley, grabbing my Kobato's breasts, and it was like he was going to even attack her. And if the protagonists all really do look the same, does Kazuma realise that Hayato and Takashi look the same? He hasn't seemed to mention anything about it so far. I guess I'll keep reading though as I've already read this far. I wish the sub-heroines had routes too though, it's a bit disappointing. They don't seem to in the fandisc either.

>> No.5927425

>>5927388
For Kazuma, you will understand later.

>> No.5930764

>>5927218
speaking of genrin2, anyone has non-dummycut torrent for it? I have only found DC ones and they have that annoying error message popping-up, which annoys me to hell and can't properly focus on playing it because of that.

>> No.5931814

As usual it seems anything deeper than a nukige is too much for Sakura to handle

>> No.5932252

>>5931814
What are you talking about? I've played through at least 20 none nukige.

>>
Name
Subject
Comment
Action