[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/jp/ - Otaku Culture

View post   

File: 196 KB, 900x900, 0039.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
5888102 No.5888102 [Reply] [Original]

>Since long ago, bug youkai have been the equal of oni and tengu in terms of inspiring fear, but lately they've lost that feeling of dignity.
>The fact that this bug youkai, who could be called the bugs' leader, has the appearance of a young girl could be considered a symbol of this.
>The reason why the bugs' power has suddenly declined needs to be investigated.

From Wriggle's article on PMiSS

I wonder if we will see any of this in the future games, you know kind of like how ZUN introduced Celestials and Hermits on that same book a long time before Tenshi and Kasen made their debut.

>> No.5888116

yamame_crying_spider_body_still_would_love.jpg

>> No.5888122

There was a doujin about this(i forgot the name) where wriggle got Yukari's help to get some big bugs and they ran around destroying gensokyo(they even beat up Youmu)but in the end she was defeated.

>> No.5888124
File: 30 KB, 350x450, 1271590528707.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Wriggle is sleeping outside again tonight.

>> No.5888129 [DELETED] 
File: 386 KB, 580x628, spiders.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5888116
Yamame is scary...
>>5888122
Wriggle vs SDM.

>> No.5888152

>>5888122
>they even beat up Youmu
You say that like it's anything new

>> No.5888185

They were only feared because bugs are gross.

Though I'd fear a ciciada youkai. It's power would be to invoke annoyance.

>> No.5888224

>>5888185
Insecticides and the draining/deforestation of the breeding areas of deadly insects probably was also the cause for this dramatic decrease. Still, out of all the species of bugs, Wriggle is a goddamn firefly, not exactly a figure of terror in the insect world.

>> No.5888245

>>5888224
I agree
A centipede youkai, on the other hand...

>> No.5890910

I don't know, bugs are still going strong. There was even a story of of an ant kingdom that spirited away some poor sod in order to be the mate of the new queen. Read it here:

http://www.sacred-texts.com/shi/kwaidan/kwai15.htm

I like Okiku more, though; she's equal parts maid, ghost, giant maggot and beetle swarm, which hits all my fetishes. There was also two ants (ooari and kuroari? ) hammering each other, sight of which was an omen of death if I recall, and a ten-legged earthquake beetle with the head of a dragon that rivaled the famous earthquake catfish (though that one might've been made up. )

Moving out of Japan; Death himself is a gigantic tiger beetle in Africa, reaping souls with his scythe-shaped mandibles, and in Aztec religion the Moon itself once used to be a lowly deity with portfolio over crawling things.

>>5888245
There is a centipede youkai, of which most famous appearance is in Inuyasha of all things. Can't recall the name, though, sorry. In addition to the poison bite, some centipedes also have ability to spray hydrogen cyanide at concentrations plenty enough to kill rats and severely hurt people. Also, there's this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/My_Lord_Bag_of_Rice

>> No.5890930

>>5888224
>firefly, not exactly a figure of terror in the insect world

You must be joking, fellow. Fireflies are vicious predators.

>> No.5890952

>>5890930
Well, many adults don't even eat. Larvae are pretty bad though, even ZUN comments on it on one of Wriggle's spellcards (Hermit of an Endless Night? ). Still not as bad as ladybugs and lacewings, which are more or less organic lawnmowers that rip aphid populations to shreds.

>>
Name
Subject
Comment
Action