[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/jp/ - Otaku Culture

View post   

File: 109 KB, 354x500, 469036446_d15a99cf5f.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
581293 No.581293 [Reply] [Original]

sup /jp/

touhou newfag here. what should i play first-
perfect cherry blossom, imperishable night, or embodiment of scarlet devil?

thank you.

>> No.581298

>>581293
If you know titles, then you're not a newfag, but a troll.

SAGE

>> No.581301

>>581298
of course i know the titles. but i do not know which game i should begin with.

>> No.581306

Perfect Scarlet Night.

>> No.581308

>>581306
damn /jp/ really sucks. bunch of useless faggots.

>> No.581309

>>581306
Imperishable cherry devil

>> No.581310

If you can't decide yourself then we don't want you.

>> No.581312

>>581307
ok thanks.

>> No.581307

>>581301
Start with PCB, then EoSD, then IN, then onwards in chronological order.

>> No.581315

>>581306
This Anon is trolling you.

Start with Lotus Square of Eastern Prayers, then work your way up.

>> No.581317

Embodiment of missing blossom

>> No.581322

>>581309
That sounds hawt

>> No.581335

>>581315
You mean The Responsive Story of Mystic Dream Land, right?

>> No.581520

>>581306
i'd play that.

>> No.581595

IN is easy and should be your first pick, fuck all the SERIAZ TOOHOO GAMERZ who are oh so worried about you learning to play wrong. Just remember bottom of screen = death in any other touhou

>> No.581632
File: 715 KB, 1579x869, 1210252647318.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

IN might be a bit too forgiving, whereas the graphics of EoSD might be a bit on the simplistic side, so I'd probably recommended PCB to start with.

>> No.581634

>>581632

Hah, I just noticed the lipstick on Yuyuko's leg.

I'd start off with PCB, too.

>> No.581638

Embodiment of Scarlet Devil is the most boring and looks like complete and utter shit, it also has the least cool patterns, so leave it for the last. I don't understand how anybody can like it more than the later games.

Start with Imperishable Night. It has the most characters and the most features, and it's easy enough to not scare a newbie away. PCB is very good too, and perhaps slightly prettier due to the backgrounds being more colourful.

EoSD should honestly be the last Windows game you play, after all the others (including Shoot the Bullet, Phantasmagoria of Flower View, IaMP, Megamari and COncealed the Conclusion). If you start with it you're going to hate the whole series.

>> No.581640

Well imho it would be best to start with EoSD, since it's chronologically before PCB and IN... And it's more simple I guess (no cherry and other bonuses), just go and shoot. If it was me, if I played PCB before EoSD, I would be disappointed by it.

>> No.581641

>>581293
Mystic Square

>> No.581643

IN has some weird shit going on with the time system and how you're basically 2 characters at once that might confuse a new Touhou player, on top of other mechanics that might hurt you when playing PCB/EoSD if you get too used to them.

Play PCB first, IMO, not just due to the 'learning to play wrong' angle but because it introduces you to the basic concepts of Touhou without the crap that IN adds onto it getting in the way, but is still easier than EoSD (especially with the slow mode option that slows the game down when there's a certain number of bullets on screen at once, which you should probably use as a Touhou n00b.)

>> No.581644

>>581632
>IN might be a bit too forgiving

That's in no way a bad thing to a beginner. Yes, it'll teach you some bad habits like saving your bombs too much, but it'll also let you make a soft landing instead of crashing headfirst into a huge wall of FUCK I CAN'T DO THIS, which PCB's level 4 will be to a newbie even on Easy Modo.

>> No.581647

Does it matter? Pick one, play it till you master it, go to the next.

>> No.581650

>>581643
Don't ever use slow mode. If you can't complete PCB on Easy Mode using Sakuya A without slow mode then you should give up on shooting games altogether.

>>581644
Play Sakuya A, bomb more.

>> No.581653

>>581644

Agreed.

Also, I came with the fucking problem of saving bombs. I still can't get past that. I started with ESoD, still love the series.

>> No.581657

>>581640
>Well imho it would be best to start with EoSD, since it's chronologically before PCB and IN

Doing the games in the chronological order only makes sense if there's some kind of a big overreaching story you need to worry about and there is no such a thing in Touhou. Otherwise it's of course the best idea to start with the prettiest and newest game and only check the older ones out when you're already hooked and hungry for more.

In fact I'd recommend Mountain of Faith if it had a translation, and didn't have such god-awful character art. PCB/IN have the best character art (outside IaMP), so they're the prettiest.

>> No.581671

>>581644
Nah, challenge is better for addiction. I played shuusou guyoku before anything else, took me best part of a week to make it past lv1 even using continues. But I was entirely hooked because it looked like this was a game which would actually be difficult to complete. I couldn't stop. And when time came to play IN, I cleared it on the second go.
You don't want to start with something utterly easy, that's not what the genre is about and will just give you false expectations. I'm not saying what I did is the best approach, but I think the recommendation not to start with IN is right on.

>> No.581695

>>581671

Some people will get discouraged and stop very quickly if they can't even get past the first level. Which is why Touhou starts out as very doable and *then* ramps up to "OH SHIT OH SHIT AAAAA*DIE* HOW THE FUCK AM I *DIE* SUPPOSED TO *DIE* DODGE ALL *DIE* THIS." That's the reason why it works so well, the easy levels are what get you hooked on the basic gameplay, then the later levels demand that you get good at the game.

>> No.581697

>>581695

That especially happens in EoSD. The library was tantamount to a brick wall for the longest time for me.

>> No.581730

>>581695

I can't agree with this more.

After you stop dying every three seconds or whoring out spell cards, the game gets pretty addicting.

Never, EVER start with Easy mode.

Also, you've been playing Touhou long enough when you forget all about having spell cards.

>> No.581763

Fuck newb-friendliness.

Do 5-6-7-8 and become an actual fan.

>> No.581788

Dumb fucks don't know that EoSD is the best game to start with

>> No.581805

>>581788
Mystic Square is fine too.

Just don't start with the pisseasy PCB or delayed IN.

>>
Name
Subject
Comment
Action