[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/jp/ - Otaku Culture

View post   

File: 8 KB, 251x199, 1213847574771.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
5654270 No.5654270 [Reply] [Original]

How effective is it to go through eroge and take 5 minutes to look up words on each line then repeating the process over and over again for hours? Do you really retain any vocabulary that way instead of learning it through some others means, like grinding through vocab lists in textbooks and the like?

I have a basic-medium grasp of grammar, but I only know about 300 kanji. My textbook author thought it would be a good idea to introduce only 10 kanji and then go crazy by giving 70 new vocabulary words all written in kana instead of giving them their appropriate kanji, making it a bitch to memorize. My vocabulary is ridiculously low because of this.

>> No.5654282

works for me

>> No.5654317

You don't really retain much kanji from just reading them. You need to dissect them first and analyze them before your head starts realizing that this is an unique set of lines it can try memorizing, which is why people usually recommend learning stroke order and/or splitting it up into the radicals it consists of.

When your brain has made an entry for it, you can start reading eroge to add all the other details to that entry, like what kind of contexts it's used in, what compounds it's used in, how it's pronounced in the various contexts, etc.

>> No.5654368

That's how I learned.

>You need to dissect them first and analyze them before your head starts realizing that this is an unique set of lines it can try memorizing, which is why people usually recommend learning stroke order and/or splitting it up into the radicals it consists of.
I didn't need to do anything like this.

>> No.5654420

>>5654368
Well, there are a few kanji I've learned by just encountering them many times, but I always find it happens much more easily by isolating it and actively trying to get it in my head.

>> No.5655630

Depends on your japanese level. If you hardly know any japanese you're gonna be having to look up every single word and probably wouldn't even be able to piece together sentences half the time.

>>
Name
Subject
Comment
Action