[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/jp/ - Otaku Culture

View post   

File: 417 KB, 2000x2000, Gensokyo.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
5530975 No.5530975 [Reply] [Original]

Is there a name for the region/world within Gensokyo that Yukari created? If not, we should come to an agreement on a name for it. (For clarity's sake.) I propose the following:

The Dragon created: Outer Gensokyo
The youkai sage created: Inner Gensokyo

Yea/Nay?

>> No.5530899 [DELETED] 

j-list doesnt sell that game anymore for the very reasons you posted. peter got tired of everyone going up in arms over it.

>> No.5530959 [DELETED] 

>>5530899
He also said that from now on if the character looks underage he simply won't licence that game instead of altering it, after the whole fiasco with Family Project.

>> No.5530982

mayohiga

>> No.5530998
File: 228 KB, 800x600, Gensokyo2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5530982
Is Mayohiga just a border?

>> No.5531001

Yukari didn't create anything, she just folded space to move Gensokyo into a pocket dimension within Earth. Or some shit like that. Shinki did create Makai within there though, which is like another plane or something. A demon plane within a pocket dimension. Don't try to understand.

>> No.5531014

oh and why is all that writing on the left scribbled out?

>> No.5531031

>>5531001
>Yukari didn't create anything
I thought we already went over this last time?
>The project refers to a plan designed and implemented by Yukari in order to restore power to the youkai of Gensokyo, who felt pressured by human expansion.
>Until then Gensokyo was merely an isolated mountain place, but she planned to create the boundary between illusion and reality around Gensokyo, thus logically creating a *new world.
"thus logically creating a new world."
http://touhou.wikia.com/wiki/Perfect_Memento:_Yukari_Yakumo

>> No.5531062
File: 353 KB, 752x1062, 1237401677272.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5531001
>Yukari didn't create anything
I suggest you take a class in rudimentary physics. Every time Yukari uses her power she's creating something. As ZUN said:
>Thus, the ability to manipulate boundaries is an ability of logical creation and destruction.
>It essentially creates a new being, or denies the existence of a being.
>Among the abilities youkai are known to possess, this is one of the most dangerous, being comparable even to the power of gods.
http://touhou.wikia.com/wiki/Perfect_Memento:_Yukari_Yakumo

>> No.5531084

>>5531031
>>5531062
Right, the keyword being 'logical'

If I assign a logical port, I didn't actually create a new port, did I? No.

>> No.5531133

>>5531031
>>5530975

You're trying to make a name for something that already has a name. If you want to force your own ideas into touhou fanon go bitch on pooshlmer.

>> No.5531136

>>5531084
Reposting this from yesterday:
>It was the youkai who quickly came up with a plan to create such an intellectual world, not the humans of the outside, and not the humans who exterminate youkai for a living.
>Contemporary Gensokyo has been preserved as a perfect world thanks to clever youkai.

Now count how much times ZUN uses the words "outside world."
>However, no youkai ever try to invade the outside world.
>I believe it's because youkai have no reason to attack the humans of the outside world.
>To that extent, the outside world has become the world of humans.
>Youkai are only mentioned in the context of stories in the outside world, and even in stories they only exist to be vanquished
http://touhou.wikia.com/wiki/Perfect_Memento%3A_Monologue

>> No.5531154

>>5531136
Just supports the notion that Yukari didn't create anything.

>> No.5531171

>>5531133
It doesn't have a name. Gensokyo was created by the Dragon but everything in the OP's picture is a realm located within Gensokyo. Which according to PMiSS is its own sovereign world. The region/house of Eientei, SDM, and Makai got their own names, how come the region Yukari created did not get its own name?

>> No.5531172
File: 869 KB, 1500x1700, d2f130f63bd784129596f16da6ec52e2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.5531179

>>5531154
In what way?

>> No.5531195

>>5531136
How does that have anything to do with what I said. Do you understand what "logical" means? I'm talking about in a technological sense.

>> No.5531196

>Gensokyo was created by the Dragon

Utter bullshit. Gensokyo was just a patch of land.

>> No.5531242

>>5531196
The Dragon is "Gensokyo's God of creation." In Japanese mythology, that essentially means it's the God of fertility.

>> No.5531258

>>5531196
Gensokyo as we know it was created by the Dragon. Without it, it would not be a land of fantasy.

>> No.5531276

>>5531258
State your source that it was indeed the dragon, and that the dragon really did more than just show itself when Gensokyo was created.

>> No.5531297

>>5531276
The Dragon is Gensokyo's God of creation. Every living creature including (but not limited to) humans and youkai owe their existence to the Dragon. This is not including the youkai or humans who weren't born in Gensokyo.

>> No.5531308

>>5531297
State your source, good man. I don't believe in your own little fanon world.

>> No.5531315

who is the Dragon?

>> No.5531328

>>5531315
The of whom they made a statue in the human village with a weather forecasting device devised by the Kappa inside.

>> No.5531333

Dragons shows up.
Yukari and her unnamed partners in crime do their thing.
Gensokyo happens.

All creation myths are nonsensical, and Gensokyo is no exception. Even though it happened in modern times.

>> No.5531342

I mean dragon, not dragons.

>> No.5531343

>>5531333
Except that the dragon only showed itself after the border was made.

>> No.5531359
File: 262 KB, 1024x1003, e3b9c9d31473b768f65abc481184f57d.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5531195
Want some more evidence that Yukari created a new world?

>About the time humans outside began to become more powerful and deny the existence of youkai, Gensokyo was already in danger of destruction. The solution endorsed by the sage of the youkai (Yukari) was to isolate Gensokyo using a great magical barrier. This barrier kept the outside world's common sense outside, leaving what defied that common sense inside, in Gensokyo.
>It created a world which embraced the youkai and the world of the night that the outside world denied, a world into which things and powers flowed as they were denied by the outside world.
Question, how many more times do you have to see the word "world" before you retract your statements? If the world Yukari~n created was just a piece of land, how come ZUN never refers to it as (oh, I dunno) a piece of land?
http://touhou.wikia.com/wiki/Perfect_Memento%3A_Monologue

>> No.5534836

>>5531359
She still didn't make Gensokyo, just put it inside the border.

>> No.5535155

>>5534836
You say 'border' as if she just went and built a small picket fence. According to PMiSS Yukari:
>she planned to create the boundary between illusion and reality around Gensokyo, thus logically creating a new world.
>By establishing Gensokyo as an illusionary world, and the outside as the real world, the youkai weakened by the outside world would naturally flock to Gensokyo; this was a truly epochal event.
>This barrier is the so-called barrier of common sense and the nonsensical.
>This barrier kept the outside world's common sense outside, leaving what defied that common sense inside, in Gensokyo.
>It created a world which embraced the youkai and the world of the night that the outside world denied, a world into which things and powers flowed as they were denied by the outside world.
The realm she created separated fantasy from reality. It was a place of such uncanny abnormalities that its very existence acted as a power source to youkai who were weakened by the outside world.

>> No.5535213

>>5535155
This last line is important.

>> No.5537622

Gentokyo

>> No.5538335

>>5535155
If I go and magically put Texas in a magical border separate from the rest of the world because I want to create a land full of cowboys having adventures while riding around on horses and dodging each other's bullets, it still doesn't make me the creator of Texas.
Same with Yukari. She created the border, okay, but not the land, and not the people. She is not a god of creation, however powerful she may be.

>> No.5538965

>>5538335
you can say that by drawing a circle on a white sheet, you "created" that circle, because before it didn't have nay shape. Maybe fantasy still existed before Yukari, but by applying borders around it it was "created" in the shape it has now.

>> No.5539212

>>5538335
But the place Yukari created has its own set of physics. Also, the place she created exist in its own pocket of space/time. Saying she just drew a line in the sand is a bad analogy. It's not like the Lunarian Capital either. In the case of the Lunarian Capital, they just put a barrier around it that made it invisible to the earthlings. In Yukari's case, it's a "new world." Let me remind you there are still humans who live in outer Gensokyo.

Here's a better analogy. Imagine you have a house that lots of people live in. Yukari put a house within a house that is not only invisible but independent of the original house. (Meaning if the original house got destroyed it would have no affect on the new house.) You are correct though, Yukari didn't create the land per se; the land was created by various youkai such as Remilia (-->SDM). I just wonder if the realm Yukari created is capable of expanding.

>> No.5539374
File: 71 KB, 280x1000, circles.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5538965
>you can say that by drawing a circle on a white sheet, you "created" that circle, because before it didn't have nay shape. Maybe fantasy still existed before Yukari, but by applying borders around it it was "created" in the shape it has now.

So what you just is:
"Yukari didn't create a world, she created the border between fantasy and reality around Gensokyo.".
That's fine.

>>5539212
It's just like the Lunar capital.
Can you prove that people live inside Gensokyo, but outside the border?

>> No.5539505

>>5539374
>Can you prove that people live inside Gensokyo, but outside the border?
http://touhou.wikia.com/wiki/Human_Village

>> No.5539657

>>5539374
>So what you just is:
>"Yukari didn't create a world, she created the border between fantasy and reality around Gensokyo.".
>That's fine.
before, fantasy and reality were mixed though. She created something, she didn't just place a border on it. She didn't create it all from zero maybe, if that's what you're getting bent on, but still she created the shape that Gensokyo is in now. Before, I guess "Gensokyo" didn't exist. Fantasy creatures were in the real world. By applying a border between the real and fantastic, a fantastic world that wasn't there before is created. It existed before as "fantasy", and yet didn't because it was mixed with reality.

>> No.5539810 [DELETED] 

>>5539657
>She created something, she didn't just place a border on it.
Just like you create a circle, Yukari created the border. After the circle is drawn, you assign INSIDE to the one area and OUTSIDE to the other, thus LOGICALLY creating a white round area on the paper. The white area existed even before there was a circle, though.
It's only a bit different for Gensokyo, because the area had a name before, but I guess it wasn't perfectly round. (assuming the border Yukari created is a sphere as seen in >>5530975

As for Fantasy/Reality, we would have to define what those terms mean.
>Fantasy creatures were in the real world.
Fantasy creatures (you're talking about youkai, right?) exist in the real world (outside world) even now.

>> No.5539820

>>5539505
The human village is both within Gensokyo and within the border.

>>5539657
>She created something, she didn't just place a border on it.
Just like you create a circle, Yukari created the border. After the circle is drawn, you assign INSIDE to the one area and OUTSIDE to the other, thus LOGICALLY creating a white round area on the paper. The white area existed even before there was a circle, though.
It's only a bit different for Gensokyo, because the area had a name before, but I guess it wasn't perfectly round. (assuming the border Yukari created is a sphere as seen in >>5530975

As for Fantasy/Reality, we would have to define what those terms mean.
>Fantasy creatures were in the real world.
Fantasy creatures (you're talking about youkai, right?) exist in the real world (outside world) even now.

>> No.5539874

>>5539820
>If the outside world were to be destroyed, I wonder what sort of action the youkai sages would take.
>we humans of the village who already lived in Gensokyo
>We, the humans of the village, will continue our mock battles with the youkai in order to ensure the stability of their existence.

>> No.5539910

>>5539874
Which part of my post are you addressing with that greentext?

>> No.5539981

>>5539505
That says nothing about the border, but the question is somewhat funky itself.

>>
Name
Subject
Comment
Action