[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/jp/ - Otaku Culture

View post   

File: 325 KB, 385x1256, 1269378908009.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
4987324 No.4987324 [Reply] [Original]

Any tips for learning Japanese? I'm about to start grinding kanji but I'm not really sure where to start or what to pay most attention to.

>> No.4987342

Reported for faggotry.

>> No.4987590

>>4987342
Well sorry I'm not really sure where to ask since /lang/ Isn't helpful at all and I have seen really informative stuff about studying on this board, but maybe this Isn't the best time of day for the helpful people to come out.

>> No.4987600

Pirate Rosetta Stone.

Yar.

>> No.4987605

>>4987590
Ignore the troll. /jp/ has had threads on learning Japanese before. You might be able to find such a thread in the easymodo archive. I'd like to help you out more, but I haven't saved any of the information myself, sorry.

>> No.4987609

You could try using Anki.
I guess you could go for learning the Jouyou Kanji. Just keep doing it, and practice frequently, or you're just going to forget what you learned. I think it helps to keep reading the language and learn Kanji as they are used, so you have some way of remembering it.

>> No.4987629

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=K9I309GU

>> No.4987636

Kanjidicks

>> No.4987645

learn kana first then kanji

>> No.4987652

I'm using the heisig method and I'm liking it, but a lot of people don't agree with it.

>> No.4987669

>>4987652
Why is that, exactly?

>> No.4987685

>>4987609
>it helps to keep reading the language and learn Kanji as they are used

This is the most important thing.
Never underestimate the effectiveness of eroge as a learning tool.

>> No.4987722

>>4987669
Why I like it? It simplifies the process of learning to write the Kanji. Why people don't like it? It means you go a long way before learning anything practical. Also, if you're gonna go through it slowly there's no point as you'll never finish. Basically, the Heisig method has you try to memorize how to write the kanji by having you apply images utilizing the primitive elements of it. This helps a lot in that it means you will know how to write the kanji when you go to learn words. This is frustrating in that you're not learning any words at first and so you start to feel like you're wasting time. I guess it really depends on how you look at it. I'm blazing past it anyway, so I don't think it's a bad idea.

>> No.4987726

I'd recommend you start with kana. Even though the Genki books arn't awesome, I started out with them and afterwards worked on learning massive amounts of Kanji. imo the easiest part of language is grinding through new words. The hard part is learning syntax. Just my opinion though.

>> No.4987757

rosetta stone sucks
smart.fm is better and free. here's the basic japanese course.
http://smart.fm/goals/19053

it'd help to master katakana and hiragana first. kanji can wait.

>> No.4987805

>>4987685
Indeed. I probably doubled my kanji/compound knowledge when I played my first eroge in Japanese.

>> No.4987828

Real men get "Essential Kanji" by P. G. O'Neil. It's a no frills, no faggotry, fox only, final destination approach to learning kanji.

>> No.4987923

SOV languages are inferior.

Real men only use SVO.

>> No.4988342

Thanks for all the responses. Basically I've learned that kana and am working through the first Genki textbook. I have just gotten to chapter 3 where they start adding kanji and its a little overwhelming. Should i just start learning them at #1 while adding a few new ones a day and not worry about what the textbook uses. Should i just learn them as they pop up in the book? or should i lean from #1 whilst also adding any that pop up? Or i guess i could hold off on genki and just work on kanji and vocab for a bit. What would be the best option?

>> No.4988372

Use Anki. Start putting vocab into it. Don't bother with learning individual Kanji. By learning vocab you will be killing two birds with one stone.

Genki books are good for starting out. I know it might not mean much but I have a BA in Japanese, I can help you out for tips.

>> No.4988411

>>4988342
>Should i just learn them as they pop up in the book?
That's probably best. Depending on how often they introduce new kanji you might want to learn some additional ones on the side.

>> No.4989929

bump. Also interested

>> No.4989979

http://amaterasu.is.moelicious.be/forums/index.php?PHPSESSID=8olqu4fv3lgnh0m06pa8mnl2h4&board=2..

>> No.4990383

Focus on learning to read and understand. Being able to write kanji is a luxury you can do fine without. Stroke order even more so.

>> No.4990457

>>4988372
>Use Anki. Start putting vocab into it. Don't bother with learning individual Kanji. By learning vocab you will be killing two birds with one stone.
Doesn't work with kanji. Or, at least not with compound words. Kanjis are too complex to memorize two kanji right next to each other by just looking at them. Eventually, you'll force your brain to remember the general shape of the word, but that won't help at all later.

What can work is to go through the kanji and find the simplest and most useful for each one. So, instead of learning "始" and get some simple keyword like "start", which doesn't really tell you much, you can learn "始める" and learn that it's a verb that means "to start/begin". You can also learn a reading more easily this way, which makes it easier to look up later.

It's perfectly possible to just learn it as "始" too, though. The important thing is that you're able to recognize the separate parts of it, so you get a feeling for the whole kanji, rather than just the general shape of it. When you got the kanji in this way, you can start attaching all other information to it as you encounter it. Like, one day I'm studying kanji and learning 液, which means liquid, and later that day I'm playing an eroge, and learn that it's used in the word 精液, which means semen.

Oh, and http://kanjidamage.com/introduction is worth checking out, because he introduces some common words the kanji are used in, and the contexts for them, so you can learn a bit more than just the keyword right away. Most helpful if you already know enough grammar to understand the most common particles, though.

>> No.4990473

>>4987923
You're just butthurt because of the low selection of eroge in your precious SVO languages.

>> No.4990488

>>4987726
Sadly Genki is one of the best series out there IMHO. There are a lot of them that are far worse.

>> No.4990498

>>4990488
>There are a lot of them that are far worse.
Like what? I need to know which ones to stay away from.

>> No.4992813

Should i be learning all the on-kun reading for every kanji even if they have 4-5 or just the most used?

Also How do i know whether to use the on or kun reading of a kanji? Or is that just something you pick up while learning vocab with the kanji?

>> No.4992837

Kanjidicks + Anki. Now get the fuck out.

>> No.4992885
File: 149 KB, 1220x825, chapter3vocab.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4988411
this is what is added in chapter 3

>> No.4992926

Kanji (meanings/some readings) -> Tae Kim's grammar guide -> Read a lot of crap and insert everything you don't know (and stuff you already know) into Anki -> review anki every day -> repeat last two steps indefinitely

That's what I did with satisfactory success.

>> No.4993566

what does the dot or star mean when used in kanji reading such as ひと*つ I've seen it used a lot but i have no idea what it means.

>> No.4993686

>>4993566
Everything after the star will be written in hiragana. Everything before the star is written in kanji.

>> No.4993722

>>>/speak/

>> No.4993730

>>4993686
Thank you.

>>
Name
Subject
Comment
Action