[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/jp/ - Otaku Culture

View post   

File: 58 KB, 194x186, 1684961366748635.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
43595215 No.43595215 [Reply] [Original]

Does anyone else find it weird the picks regarding western cartoons that gets sizeable fanbases in Japan at times?
Like, stuff like South park and Happy Tree Friends used to be pretty popular with fujos back in the day while Avatar The Last Airbender is downright unknown even with how niche most cartoons that get localized over there are.
Also it's interesting how western Sci-fi literature has a stronghold over there in terms of influence and the amount of stuff that gets translated while western fantasy lit isn't exactly that well known outside of the usual Harry Potter/LOTR/ASOIAF. Is this related to how Japan got into fantasy by videogames and TRPGs rather than literature?
Also not sure if it's just my impression again but japanese people seem to be more fond of western entertainment made in the 70s/80s/90s rather than most current day stuff. Foreign trends those days either seem to caught a lot of months if not even a year or more after they're already established at home or aren't considered at all.

I'm not even sure if this board is the right place to ask but I'd like to have more information on the subject matter since it's something niche I want to research more about.

>> No.43596506

>>43595215
>more fond of western entertainment made in the 70s/80s/90s rather than most current day stuff
Not very surprising.

>> No.43599120

>>43595215
Isn't it just a question of marketing and timing more than interest?

>>
Name
Subject
Comment
Action