[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/jp/ - Otaku Culture

View post   

File: 1.32 MB, 849x1200, special.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
42001232 No.42001232 [Reply] [Original]

Is a copyright-resistant (audio) file streaming network a thing? If not, why? When will it be?

Streaming because it is easy to share music this way, I also have a limit on how much decimal bpm lolicore I can have on my 128GB SD card. That was a joke, but having limited space for music is a serious nuisance. At some point, I will have to choose between two artists, both of whom I like.

If such a platform existed:
It should be decentralized (p2p-ish);
Everyone should share the seeding burden, somewhat like on PD;
Users should be able to create file libraries that are managed by them;
You should be able to choose which file libraries to seed;
How much you can stream and download should be based on how much you seed.
So it would be copyright, authority, flooding, and leech resistant. Less popular media would also not go extinct if included in a popular library, e.g., the TLMC.

Also, why is Fopnu so obscure? It is essentially better Soulseek

>> No.42001545

It's been a thing for well over a century at this point anon, it's called pirate radio. ISPs will always bend the knee, but a hostile foreign government can be pretty easily swayed to let you put up a 30MW broadcast tower pointed towards the US.

>> No.42002205
File: 588 KB, 1673x986, Subsonic.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>42001232
It seems you're looking for a service which combines file-sharing, media transcoding, independent DB, etc.
Not impossible, but AFAIK the closest thing to that is Peertube, which is both super impressive that it works as well as it does, but does require some centralization and is hardly copyright resistant.

>Is a copyright-resistant (audio) file streaming network a thing?
As long as you self-host the streaming service with whatever audio files you have, it has been viable for a long time and you've got at least a dozen FOSS software projects that cater to it. As long as you use HTTPS there is no cause for anyone else to know exactly what you are streaming. I use Subsonic for my main setup, but I would recommend Navidrome if you're starting fresh. It works with Subsonic clients so you've got decent player options across most platforms:
https://www.navidrome.org
https://www.navidrome.org/demo/

>Streaming because it is easy to share music this way, I also have a limit on how much decimal bpm lolicore I can have on my 128GB SD card. That was a joke, but having limited space for music is a serious nuisance. At some point, I will have to choose between two artists, both of whom I like.
Yeah, I had a similar issue. With both Subsonic and Navidrome you can manually specify the transcoding pipeline, so you can host the original files on a home computer and then just transcode them as they are requested. For space conservation I'd recommend:
>Flac, WAV, other lossless -> Opus OGG 128kbps
>OGG, MP3, AAC, other lossy -> Just copy audio codec

>Also, why is Fopnu so obscure? It is essentially better Soulseek
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Network_effect
Pretty much that, people prefer what they know and what is known to be widely used over something new, even if it is technically better. Heck, I mainly still use torrents and private trackers and never tried Soulseek. But using it yourself makes it that much more likely that someone else will come across it and join in.

>> No.42002227
File: 403 KB, 1080x2190, Screenshot_20221208-151514.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>42002205
I use Ultrasonic my phone, works like a charm

>> No.42005119

>>42001232
>When will it be?
do it yourself
>If such a platform existed: (bunch of babble)
we need a scalable enterprise solution that leverages core skillsets and world-class p2p synergy through blockchain to provide clients worldwide with robust, scalable, modern turnkey implementations of flexible, personalized, cutting-edge Internet-enabled music streaming application product suite e-solution architecture that accelerates music sharing and real-world listening demands and reliably adapt to evolving technology needs, seamlessly and efficiently integrating and synchronizing with their existing legacy infrastructure, enhancing the anti-copyright capabilities of their e-sharing production environments across the enterprise while giving them a critical competitive advantage and taking them to the next level (it also needs to have discord integration so you can have an epic status and show off what you're listening to your buds)

i will make the logo

>> No.42006554

>>42001232
napster

>>
Name
Subject
Comment
Action