[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/jp/ - Otaku Culture

View post   

File: 95 KB, 480x854, 1207336977886.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
417487 No.417487 [Reply] [Original]

what can /jp/ suggest to me for the best (or a very good) program for starting to learn japanese. Preferrably a torrent is out there, and prefferably you can give it to me.

pic unrelated

>> No.417494

google

>> No.417506

op here, well certainly it wouldnt be hard to find one, but i know some people on /jp/ have had experience with them, so im asking for your suggestions for good ones, rather than a piece of shit one i can find on google.

>> No.417543

Torrent any of Heisig's books if you don't want to be studying flashcards for months. Genki can also be torrented.

Also, Google. Tons of shit out there to teach you for motherfucking free.

There. Anon was kindhearted, today, and delivered.

>> No.417570

Also quite good: Pimsleur's audio lessons. Torrents are out there.

>> No.417575

>>417543
Heisig and Genki can both be found somewhere on RS or MU, as an alternative to torrents

>> No.417576

>>417487

>>pic unrelated

What the fuck are you talking about?

Also, seconding torrent of Heisig's books. Maybe buy one, if you don't feel like fucking with adobe over long periods of time.

>> No.417603

>>417570

>>Also quite good: Pimsleur's audio lessons. Torrents are out there.

Shit, forgot to mention this one, too.

Also, if you're learning it for the fandom, fucking kill yourself. If you want to translate eroge and light novels, for yourself or for Anon, go right ahead.

>> No.417613

>>417487

If you're starting from scratch you'd be better off taking a course/getting a tutor. It helps you avoid making a lot of common mistakes that are hard to unlearn later.

The Genki texts are a good starter book, and some of the Japan Foundadtion books help when you get a good grasp, but make sure you practice with them, because they're mainly short books aimed at review for the JLPT.

Pick up some Kumon/ other elementary texts for kanji, and once you know the basics of writing, I'd recommend this book.

http://www.amazon.com/Essential-Kanji-Characters-Systematically-Reference/dp/0834802228

I got up to 1100 in under a year with it.

>> No.417627

>>417613

Fuck lessons. If you try to get a jap to teach you kanji or the kana it'll just end up being ten times longer (may or may not be an exaggeration) based on the order they'll teach it.

Go with good, reliable resources.

Also, you COULD do what the faggot running Fakku says and go to Japan while talking to your attractive Japanese friends.

>> No.417628

there are two volumes of Genki. there are also CDs for each volume, RS, MU, BT. it's all out there.

>> No.417690

>>417613

>>you'd be better off taking a course/getting a tutor

I disagree. It'd be good, yeah, and it'd help you along, but it's hardly necessary.

>> No.417729

Rosetta Stone. Its THE BEST program to learn Japanese. But you should consider a tutor.

>> No.417734

It depends on personal preference. I for myself found out that lessons are simply no good for me. I can't seriously learn something in there, it's more of a waste of time.

The only positive thing about lessons I can see is, that you got a structure already given and you're less likely to do nothing at all. However if you're determined you won't need that to work, you just do because you want to.

And you got a teacher at hand, if you have questions. Well, since I already knew a Japanese person I asked her those questions.

It depends, really.

>>
Name
Subject
Comment
Action