[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/jp/ - Otaku Culture

View post   

File: 42 KB, 600x504, 1207597559552.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
4139764 No.4139764 [Reply] [Original]

Why does Japan have such low production values in everything they do? 99.9% of their movies are unwatchable compared to American films, the average funding for a 26 episode anime series is probably surpassed by the first 30 seconds of a Disney film, and 95% of their video games are glorified picture books.

How did it get this way? Why are they so fucking cheap at making animation? And why does America put so much more money into their ventures?

>> No.4139768 [DELETED] 

>>4139760
Kindly stop spamming, harassing and generally attacking www.anon
talk
.com, please. We don't want you there. Understood? PS: If you want these messages to stop, simply stop fucking with us, remove all lying troll articles about AT and kill the illegal clones. Then you will never be bothered again. It is up to you.

>> No.4139792

Japan isn't cheap, they just know how to budget themselves and where to put their money into.

Look at Final Fantasy 13. It will probably have the best graphics of all time for a video game. They just know when to make their funding count, unlike America who would rather just throw piles of money at things instead of sitting down and thinking for a while.

>> No.4139804

>>4139792
>Final Fantasy 13. It will probably have the best graphics of all time for a video game
>has never played crysis

pre-rendered CGI don't count for graphics either friend

>> No.4139810

>>4139792
FF 13 is where it counts?

>> No.4139847

>>4139764
Shitty educational system.
Also, xenophobia.

>> No.4139868

>>4139792
I don't think it will look better than GT5.

>> No.4139975

>>4139810
Well, it counts when it comes to making money. If you throw a hundred million dollars at Person 5 you're screwed, but if you do it at Final Fantasy 13 you can triple your investments. You have to spend money to make money so they say.

>> No.4139992

>>4139975
No, you do not.
Final Fantasy is not bought on such merits anymore.

>> No.4139999

in my hometown, that is narita of japan, american boy

1. attack policeman
2. rape japanese woman because japanese woman says american boy no thanks
3. smell real bad not shower in 10 days

american=monkey same

>> No.4140043

American game devs are lower tier when it comes to animating. Go ahead and compare the 3D character animation of Crysis to something like Bayonetta and the difference is like night and day.

>> No.4140060

>>4140043
Then why doesn't America just buy Japanese devs and give them a lot of money?

>> No.4140066

Do Japanese actually LIKE 100 hours of cutscenes in their games? Is that why they keep doing it?

>> No.4140076

>>4140060
>give them a lot of money?

I think you answered yourself

>> No.4140085

>>4140043
It's kinda unfair, since the situations in Crisis do not allow for much creative animation.
Oh shit, people run holding guns and shoot whilst on powersuits.
Bayonetta is all about absurd fast paced motion. Not so much quality issues, as much as actual focus of the games.

>> No.4140103

>>4140066
Probably.
There are plenty of westerners who like that too.

>> No.4140249

This might sound wrong in a way but I believe it is fairly accurate.

>And why does America put so much more money into their ventures?
Cause of capitalism
>Why are they so fucking cheap at making animation?
Cause they wanted to rival other countries in world economics even though they themselves were shit poor atm.
>How did it get this way?
Cause many America and some other countries have been very rich for many decades and followed capitalistic ideals where the the maerket and everyone fights for the money and those who can take it takes it.
Japan had recently "discovered" the rest of the world when they finally started to accept trade and travel, they also lost lot due to war and the country itself was never really rich with anything good for trade. The japanese goverment found themselves at a huge economical crisis and made huge efforts to make their own place in the world trade in order to save them, following the philosophy of "quantity is the most omportant, as long as the quality isn't bad enough" and for a very long time they sold really shitty products. Today their overall quality isn't regarded as the shittiest anymore but the old philosophy still seems to be present in a way.

Could that perhaps be it? I am by no means knowledgeable in Japanese history so I may be wrong but I believe it could be so

>> No.4140265

Just because America spends a million dollars per frame of animation doesn't mean it's better. It just means Americans have no standards and keep feeding the money machine.

>> No.4140305

>>4140265
>implying there are any Japanese movies that can stand up to American movies.

>> No.4140324

American cartoons have a larger audience than anime (especially late night anime). Larger audience=more profit=larger budget. It's pretty simple.

>> No.4140334

>the average funding for a 26 episode anime series is probably surpassed by the first 30 seconds of a Disney film

They could probably fix that if a 26 episode anime had the viewership that the average Disney film does. How many western kids have seen the Disney version of Snow White, and how many homes is that VHS/DVD in?

>> No.4140349

Because glorious Nippon does not depend on huge budgets to make quality entertainment.

>> No.4140350

>>4140305
They don't even have to stand up. They can lay on the ground for all they want and still be way above.

>> No.4140424

Compare TV to TV and tell me who again who actually puts more effort into televised animation.

>> No.4140563

I can't watch Japanese movies because the acting is so fucking terrible. They bob their heads like crazy in doramas as well...they're just too stiff.

>>
Name
Subject
Comment
Action