[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/jp/ - Otaku Culture

View post   

File: 38 KB, 640x480, KU GYU.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
4071945 No.4071945 [Reply] [Original]

People with social anxiety disorder usually experience significant emotional distress in the following situations:

Being introduced to other people

Being teased or criticized

Being the center of attention

Being watched while doing something

Meeting people in authority ("important people")

Most social encounters, particularly with strangers

Making "small talk" at parties

Going around the room in a circle and having to say something

>> No.4071959

You will never suffer from social anxiety disorder ;_;

Oh wait

>> No.4071965

i hate small talk

>> No.4071972

Conveniently enough, I'm just misanthropic.

>> No.4071973

>see cute kugyuu
>read post
>everything applies to me
FUUUUUCK

>> No.4071975

I have social anxiety disorder, alright.

>> No.4071969

>>4071959
;_;

>> No.4071979

>i hate small talk

Me too. Small talk is for small people. If you don't have anything world-changing to say, shut the fuck up.

>> No.4071984

I don't know how to make small talk, period. There's only so many things you can say about the weather or how shiny their shoe is...

>> No.4071990

>>4071979
Sayeth the Anon posting on and F5ing /jp/.

>> No.4071996

>Being introduced to other people
>Meeting people in authority ("important people")
I can do that without a problem.
Apart from the:
>Most social encounters, particularly with strangers
which usually leads to:
>Making "small talk" at parties
>Being the center of attention
fuck.

>Being teased or criticized
Doesn't happen that often. I hate it.

>Going around the room in a circle and having to say something
wat?

>Being watched while doing something
D-don't look at me, please. Knock it off. FFFFFFFFUUUU-

>> No.4071999

These are my problems. Not as much unreasonable fear as not knowing what to say in either situation, and thus preferring to avoid it.

....I still kinda want to improve in that area.

>> No.4072000

Fantastic, sounds just like me.

I fucking hate when people watch me do anything I enjoy. I have to pretend I'm half-assing whatever I'm doing for some reason.

>> No.4072003

>>4071945
Link please.

>> No.4072007

>>4071979
I want to meet a person so great that their smalltalk alone is able to change the world.

>> No.4072008

I hate this so much, i know you're meant to take it on the chin but i always snap, it's annoying.

>> No.4072010

>>4072007
Carl Sagan is dead.

>> No.4072011

I can talk fine to a small group of people, but 1 on 1 conversation kills me. I can't stand it.. and I feel like I'm on the clock because if I don't say something I'll look stupid. So I say something stupid and look stupid anyway.

These days if I go out in public I start sweating a lot.. which is odd for me since I usually never sweat. Checking out at the front of a crowded store or walking through a full room at the campus equals me having a damn near nervous breakdown.

>> No.4072018

I can't be teased, I always behave like a little faggot that way.

>> No.4072019

>>4072003
http://www.socialphobia.org/social.html#top

>> No.4072023

>>4072010
But he lives on in my heart.

>> No.4072032

>>4072011
The awkward silence is my greatest fear...

>> No.4072033

>>4071984
I'm not sure, but I think the trick is to talk about them, showing sincere interest in their affairs and asking questions. People are supposed to like talking about themselves, so if you just keep inquiring about the matters that come out of their mouths, particularly noting things they seem to enjoy mentioning, they're supposed to like you for it.

But most likely, this sounds fucking boring to you, which is why you're fucked whether you try or not, because there's no way for you to show sincere interest.

tl;dr: You have to like other people if you want other people to like you.

>> No.4072035

>>4072011
>I can talk fine to a small group of people, but 1 on 1 conversation kills me.

I'm the exact opposite. If the one I'm talking to is just a person I like, this is the best.
It only works when it's just me and the other person in a room, though, since I always get distracted by other persons being around.

>> No.4072036

Well lets see what I qualify for:

Don't seem to mind. Looking good so far.

While I am not a big fan of teasing, I can take my critiques and always seek to improve myself.

>Being the center of attention
Hit and miss here. There are times when I wanna be and times that I don't

>Being watched while doing something
As long as it is not over the shoulder watching. I get paranoid for some reason.

Ish. Depends on who it is. Important professors and astronauts I am fine with. Heck, I even got spider to admit that he hated metallica when they came to Korea (Powerman 5K that is)

>Most social encounters, particularly with strangers
It's more a matter of thinking of what to say. if I don't think about it and just go then I am fine.

Off and on. For the most part I am fine though.

>Going around the room in a circle and having to say something.
Not really. As long as the woman I am talking to isn't wearing a horrible outfit.

Ok, looks good. I just have a problem finding a place where I am comfortable interacting.

>> No.4072040

>>4071996

Wow, I'm exactly the same. Meeting authority figures and being introduced is fine, the other social situations are awkward and being watched while I do something makes me fucking rage.

>> No.4072049

At a party if it's between 2 to 6 other people in the room i'm fine, i can bounce a conversation around, make them laugh the lot.
But in a crowd of 10 or above i get lost.

>> No.4072058

If I'm with close friends, you might mistake me for a normal, sociable person. But if one of their friends comes up and starts talking to them and I get introduced and all that shit I turn into the guy that creates awkward silences when he talks or never talks, period.

>> No.4072070

One on One none of that applies to me. As soon as 2 or more people are around me they all apply to me.

>> No.4072082
File: 72 KB, 600x809, kaguya amused full.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>social anxiety disorder
>disorder
Oh, normalfags, you will never know the heaven that is not being addicted to other people.

>> No.4072087

>>4072082
Not all of us like being socially awkward. I'd rather be somewhat sociable and not hate the rest of the world if it were possible.

>> No.4072088

Fuck I guess I fit in most of those -_-

And I suck both at talking 1 on 1 ( if it's someone im not close with ) and to a group of people,

>>4072011
that totally happens to me too,

>>4072033

that's pretty much my strategy, but it's not that satisfying faking interest is whatever the hell they say, so after a while you just stop talking a walk away >_>

>> No.4072099

No
Yes
Yes
Yes
No
No
No
No

>> No.4072101

>>4072088
I don't like to fake interest because it encourages them to carry on talking about things I don't care about.

I try to come across as much of an uncaring asshole as possible so people don't talk to me.

>> No.4072102

>>4072033
I can do that fine, but it's when they ask something about me that the biggest problems arise. My mind goes blank and I spout bullcrap or there's nothing that would be "normal" enough for them to be able to relate/understand. Doesn't help that I don't follow mainstream media or watch sports at all either.

>> No.4072108

I have a lot of friends and when i'm around them I can talk fine.
but if its a one on one talk with someone I'm not best friends with, it applies to me.
I just don't know what to talk about. what do you say?

>> No.4072109

Pretty much all of this, except for

>> No.4072111

>>4072049
dude you're in a better situation than most here

i'm kinda glad to know there are other ppl like this though

>> No.4072123 [DELETED] 

>>4071942
please cease and desist with your spamming and harassing on our board www.anoptalk.com except with n instead of p thanks in advance have a nice day many hugs from tiny loli who just wants her board clean and nice <3

>> No.4072138

almost none apply to me. I just don't want to talk to strangers because it's often useless to.

>> No.4072148

All of these apply to me.

Also, I'm scared to eat in front of people who are not my family because I'm afraid I'll look stupid. I just stress out about the most trivial bullshit. I know I'm not supposed to care...but it's hard to tell myself to stop thinking about it over and over.

>> No.4072150

>>4072033
That only works for the people that talk a lot, in my opinion. If the other person is not extroverted, I think there's a lot to be said about shameless self-disclosure to build a loose sense of friendliness.

>> No.4072177

>>4072138
>Lady Bernkastel
Are you a girl?

>> No.4072180

>Talk about yourself
I usually sound like the most negative person on earth when I do that. I swear, I hate myself.

>> No.4072185

All of these apply to me. There is only one person I (even want to) talk to.

>>4072148
And this too.

>> No.4072194

>>4072111
It's not something that came to me naturally, when i reached my teens i was gibbering wreck, lost all my friends & ended up unable to talk to anyone.
Then i got forced onto courses i got lucky, made some good friends & i sort of taught myself social skills, also job hunting forces you to pleasant.

>> No.4072201

I'm so ridiculously bored with people.
The stuff I read, watch or play is something barely anyone around me likes and all the weeaboos are ridiculously low level (or worse, they are yaoi fangirls).
Just what the fuck am I supposed to talk about with them?

>> No.4072205

/jp/ should have a meet!

>> No.4072211
File: 87 KB, 480x360, s_haruhi.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4072201
Sup.

>> No.4072233

>>4072205
A group of 20 people not talking with 2 guys in the middle fighting over who spilt drink on his pillow.

>> No.4072239

Just schizoid here.

Being introduced to other people is a hassle as I don't feel connected to people. Being teased falls off me like water. Being the center of attention is nearly impossible but I don't like or dislike it in the first place. Social interaction is irksome for the last few.

>> No.4072255

>Going around the room in a circle and having to say something

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

Drinking games are the worst for this kind of thing.

Sexual anecdotes abound.

>> No.4072292

>>4072201

This, most my friends are normalfags so talking to them about VN's is obviously out of the question.

>>
Name
Subject
Comment
Action