[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/jp/ - Otaku Culture

View post   

File: 89 KB, 256x436, 1618576634211.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
[ERROR] No.35990851 [Reply] [Original]

Gensokyo, or Land of Fantasy/Illusions. These words, along with decisions ZUN made that are arguably more or less responsible for Touhou's growth, have led you & I to where we are today.
However, not all fantasies are similar. This is where my question lies: Has Gensokyo, your fantasy land of sorts, evolved with your perspective in life? Have you perhaps emphasized the triviality & good nature of its incidents to contrast the harsh reality of our world? Or have you done the opposite?
There are no right or wrong answers, I just want to hear your perspective, and how it shapes your idea of Gensokyo.

>> No.35999660

>>35990851
I'm not in the thinking mood right now, so I'll answer later.
Good question.

>> No.36009966

>>35990851
I don't know if this is a boring answer or strange answer but I don't have my own idea of Gensokyo. Sure, I've thought of stories set in Gensokyo but they aren't compatible with each other nor do they contribute to one overall feeling.
When I think of Gensokyo my mind doesn't immediately go to my own creations, just ZUN's because no matter what fans do or even what ZUN says about the matter I'll never stop thinking of it as his creation first and foremost, and anything that I think of as not really mattering.

>> No.36012153
File: 108 KB, 1024x640, example.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
[ERROR]

>>36009966
i would say that if gensokyo existed, it would be difficult to understand, like pic related, especially in the magic and bamboo forests. without an objective point of reference, right could be left, up could be down, and ultimately, the dimensions would be so contorted that you couldn't make out what was going on. likewise, the interactions would be similar in that they lack an objective frame of reference. imagine being a schizo walking into some mundane conversation and then suddenly feeling like they were out to get you, only for everyone to look at you in your manic and delusional state and decide they want nothing to do with you, and walk away. they are hiding something from you, why else would they be conscious of your presence? or, you know, they are just creeped out by your strange expression. entering gensokyo would be like that, except everyone is some kind of schizo, and there is no common sense. as a result, your interpretation quite literally will change what iteration of gensokyo you end up experiencing. if you go into it expecting a happy, normal adventure with little to be afraid of, that's probably what you'll get, the youki are stronger when you fear them, after all, meanwhile being a paranoid wreck will cause you to be both helpless, and suspicious enough that everyone ends up going against you. the cannon exists, technically, but it is adaptable enough that every individual will ultimately experience it differently depending on their beliefs and the frame of reference they choose to exist in. gensokyo is literally the land of illusions, so this is my interpretation of it.

>>
Name
Subject
Comment
Action