[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/jp/ - Otaku Culture

View post   

File: 1.17 MB, 706x923, 1619111311342.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
34406925 No.34406925 [Reply] [Original]

Fate/Stay Night:
Delves into themes like idealism, utilitarianism, self worth, self actualisation, morality, acceptance of one's past, clashes of ideologies, deconstruction of heroism, psychology of victimhood, psychology of trauma, overcoming grief, what is the nature of evil, importance of upbringing, veracity of history, eternal recurrence etc etc etc.

Deep lore, complex and coherent magic system (magic crests, magic circuits, grail and servants, inheritance of magic, rituals and spells, boundry fields and reality marbles, noble phantasms, divine constructs and magical beasts).
Well thought out Implementation of multiverse makes everythng canon and any disputes futile while satisfying everyone. FGO is still cancer though.

Well written and complex characters - one of the best tsundere (Rin) to ever exist, best depiction of King Arthur (Saber) barring Excalibur in the last century, one of the best villains ever (Kotomine), one of best if not the best MC (Shirou), and the rest are just as good and memorable.

Incredibly emotional and resonating story where each person can take something from it to heart and find meaning that will be very personal that will make them remember it fondly. Roller-coaster of emotions - you will cry, laugh,fear and resentment, sadness and happiness, joy and heartache, endearment and revulsion.

Many different genres colliding and converging into something truly unique. g
Good pacing, amazing length and well thought out overall structure of the VN. Numerous Bad Ends adding perspective and weight to the journey.
Each route gives different answer to a complex question and lets the reader choose what speaks to them the most.

Not to mention technical mastery of the VN - outstanding OST, timeless stellar design, solid voice acting, good CGI. Yes writing is somewhat dry due to amateur translation but Japanese knowing fans can confirm it's quality.

F/SN is a modern masterpiece that will be remembered throughout the ages

analysis below

>> No.34406926
File: 201 KB, 1160x1301, 1619111619497.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

FSN narrative structure and literary roots are as old as literature itself.
The roots go as far back as Greek epic mythos, ethics and philosophy, which is not surprising when FSN features heroes and concepts form the past.
It follows Hero's Journey very closely but takes steps to distinguish itself. Shirou's whole persona is a deconstruction of a hero. It takes all the usual pieces (idealism, fighting injustice, saving lives, indomitable will etc) and shuffles them with an unusual approach - Shirou's heroism is ill born and, at first, is ingenuine and detriment to his own well being. It starts with a piece that, at the first glance, is cliché but very soon it's evident that it's not the case.

The journey across three routes represents three different approaches to the same moral dilemma:

Fate represents Deontological ethics - a duty to uphold your ideals despite everything, a moral obligation to follow you convictions to the very end, based on the set of immovable moral rules. Shirou transforms his borrowed and destructive ideal into something genuine with the help and love of Saber while she finds her human self and happiness and both of them accept their past as part of themselves. He reaffirms his ideal through Saber and their mutual love.

UBW represents Virtue ethics (which takes us to the ancient Greece to Socrates). It focuses on Shirou as a person first and foremost. The most important thing here is the the practical wisdom which enables a person to always act right in any given circumstances in accordance to their virtues. This wisdom is born by a clash between Shirou and Archer (self vs self). Virtues are character traits and a part of personality that give guidance as to how best to act in a situation. They are crucial pieces of what defines a good strong person. In UBW Shirou receives wisdom and redifines his virtues to be genuine. He will not fall to same mistakes as Archer did. He becomes genuine agent of good and and ally of justice.

>> No.34406927

ye I like it too

>> No.34406928
File: 851 KB, 560x784, crop3.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

HF represents Consequentialism. The desire to sacrifice everything for, even your dreams and yourself, so that one person can be saved. As Shirou cannot accept the consequences of letting Sakura die he choose to act in accordance with his selfish desire. Here Shirou abandones his idealism in favor of human desire to protect that which he loves over everything else. His priorities shift to his immediate inner circle rather than the wast outside. Where Kiritsugu chose the world over his own happiness Shirou chose his (and Sakura's) happiness over the world. But the core principle is the same.

Archer is a prime example of Greek tragedy. A man who stood up to the world and was crushed by its merciless nature. A man, who only wished to save people, was betrayed by the people he wished to save. Aristotle used the term mimesis (imitation) when describing tragedy - "Tragedy is an imitation of an action that is serious, complete, and of certain magnitude". Ironically enough Archer (and Shirou) is using imitations as their weapon against the unjust world. A man who is complete, a Heroic Spirit that cannot change is nonetheless finds that which he thought he had lost.

Saber is an interesting case and is often misunderstood. An ideal King fated to rule and to fall. But even here her character is written so well enough to be truly distinctive. A simple idealistic and kind-hearted girl denied herself her happiness and humanity for her duty. Yet her only mistake was that she thought that there was someone more worthy than her to do a better job. So human and so noble, such an honest and endearing desire to carry out her duty to the very end is so like her. She represents that even if you did everything right, if you did your best you may still fall. And the only thing left for you then is to be proud of what you did and not to seek to undo it. Her character is the heart of the novel and no wonder so many people find themselves drawn to her, myself included.

>> No.34406929
File: 1.32 MB, 655x771, crop4.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Kotomine is also a very interesting character. A priest, a holy man that can only find happiness in the suffering of others. Such sharp contrast is only reinforced by his contradictory behaviour. Because he is lost, he can't distinguish where he begins and where the root of his being starts. His goal is also very human. To find an answer - is evil something that is inherent or is it chosen? Is it okay to follow you desires and pleasures even if they are ugly and malevolent? His honest desire to find himself is why he's such a great villain. I like Kotomine Kirei.

That's all I've prepared for now, though I can try to cover pretty much any subject mentioned in the first paragraph. Like importance of upbringing since it concerns Rin, Illya, and Shirou himself, and even Kirei. I can also cover other characters but it's been some years since I fully read the VN and I just started rereading it (I take my time reading it) so my analysis may lose some finer details (especially concerning HF). I must add I don't particularly care about what later installments (RN not included) retconned about characters or lore, I'm talking about the work in question and only it.

>> No.34406930 [DELETED] 

>>34406925
>>34406926
>>34406928
t. brown person

>> No.34406931

Kiritsugu Emiya is a genuinely tragic character and his origin story in Fate/zero is probably the best arc of the entire series.

>> No.34406932

>>34406929
kotomine is actually one of my favorite characters. i'm interested to know why you think he's lost though - he actually seems like one of the most firmly grounded characters in the series. to me he has always seemed in complete acceptance of his nature, and even if he is still searching for an answer as to what it means to have that nature, the question itself begins with him accepting it
shirou's arc was also immensely satisfying - i had actually skipped over the entire series at first because i found him insufferable, and i'm so happy i later went back to it, because UBW basically justified every single facet of his character that i originally disliked. i was originally going to write that i was glad he got his comeuppance as a goody two-shoes, but i think it's a bit deeper than that
the reason i disliked him at first was because i thought his "goodness" wasn't genuine because he was so idealistic - i thought his idealism was divorced from reality, and that its only purpose was the self-satisfaction of having moral principles. so it was very interesting to see him not only witness the consequences of enacting his moral system, but to see this happen over and over and over again for literally eternity, and then to accept this fate even knowing full well the essentially infinite amount of pain he will have to experience as a result
the effect this has i think isn't to make shirou seem more human or believable, but to make us understand that he is not supposed to be. he is able to become a heroic spirit exactly because he's made of different stuff from the rest of us, which puts what i assumed to be character flaws upon my initial assessment of him in an entirely new light. this also sets up HF really well, which explores a much more human and less divine side of him
i still want an illya route though desu

>> No.34406933

power fantasy masturbation crap for spics and poor people.

did not read any of your posts.

>> No.34406934

>>34406925
Admit it. You watched it for the child sex

>> No.34406935
File: 1.98 MB, 1415x1080, 1593996100813.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I like the Fate route and I don't care that everyone says that it's not good, I rank it above UBW and it's close to HF too. Saber is also my favorite girl in the series.

>> No.34406936

>>34406925
ok
but it's poorly written

>> No.34406937

>>34406925
>good CGI
CGI? I don't remember the VN having CGI, unless by CGI you mean special effects and stuff like that.

>> No.34406938

>>34406925
Nassu couldn't even be bothered to read the wikipedia pages of mythological and historical figures he uses. And thats just scratching the surface for why this Fate/Stay Night sucks

>> No.34406939

Magic sex

>> No.34406940

Type Moon used to be great. Peak chuunishit.

>> No.34406941
File: 592 KB, 1600x1076, shia-sunni-split1_custom-ccc7f1f51c2f408f4c691754f7e41cdf890284eb-s1600-c85.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>34406925
Magic systems are for faggots

>> No.34406942

Even Tom & Jerry is philosophical to you fucking retards. It's just a cash grab title with sex and cute anime girls in it like every other anime. Stop trying to take everything so seriously and go outside.

>> No.34406943

>>34406925
>Well thought out Implementation of multiverse makes everythng canon and any disputes futile while satisfying everyone. FGO is still cancer though.
That was a massive mistake

>> No.34406944

>>34406925
I liked it.

>> No.34406945
File: 7 KB, 236x284, 75734.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>34406925
>>34406926
>>34406928
>>34406929
You dropped your picture

>> No.34406946

I genuinely can't think of anything more central to 4chan culture than FS/N barring anonymity

>> No.34406947
File: 129 KB, 800x600, tohsaka...jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>34406925
>F/SN is a modern masterpiece that will be remembered throughout the ages
so true

>> No.34406948

I read all three routes and then played the slice of sequel and loved them (love illya especially).

The world building is really expansive and you can spend hours thinking up characters, but I wouldn't say the magic system is coherent. It is complex and he did a excellent job with creativity - but there are too many loop holes as a result with things like magic crest inheritance, mystic codes and then you have levels of magic like real magic (5 magics) vs magecraft (tracing/strengthening)

I hate fate/grand order to because I really liked the magician stuff and was hoping they would continue with it rather than the servants since they didn't feel all that important. I really wanted to see more characters like Bazett go on about their daily lives as mages, I haven't read Tsukihime yet since I wanted to read it and the sequel together but the sequel looks like it will take ages to get through so I put it off.

>> No.34406949

>>34406925
why don't you go to /a/ ?

>> No.34406950

>>34406949
Someone posted this on /a/ and I found it funny, so I was curious how /lit/ would react.

>> No.34406951

>>34406925
Tbh, Loh:Trails of series has probably the best world building I have ever seen in all of media. Also, the series tackles themes better than Fate.

>>
Name
Subject
Comment
Action