[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/jp/ - Otaku Culture

View post   

File: 143 KB, 600x600, 2ad2552442a7c24d1232303e04410945.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
3206556 No.3206556 [Reply] [Original]

How do I get better at this?

Beat Normal or better without using continues? I was on my last life on my last continue when I beat Easy. How the hell...

So, dodge the bullets. I try, but...is there some strategy to this game I'm missing? Any tips at all?

>> No.3206574

I pathetically drag my ass through all of the stages using all of my continues then grind practice when every one is unlocked.

>> No.3206570

Hello newfriend. Which one are you playing?
Also, are you using shift+z?

>> No.3206584

1.Play mountain of faith, Marisa B.
2.Stay between 3.00 and 3.95 power.
3.???
4.YAY 1CC

>> No.3206588

Practice. That's all. There's no secret that will turn you into a Touhou expert.

>> No.3206602

>>3206570
EOSD, but I suck at all of them so w/e

>>3206588
I've played quite a bit to still be sucking this much.

>> No.3206617

>>3206602
I still suck at Touhoos but I can tell you that you will see yourself getting much better at this game. It takes time. Of course, you could end up like me whose skill ceiling/brick wall is Normal, never 1ccing it.

Of course, playing after midnight makes you shit.

>> No.3206629

>>3206574
Yeah...I always thought it was retarded having to beat a stage to PRACTICE it.

This is advice from someone who can only 1cc normal at best so take it as you will:
-Focus on the paths between bullets rather than the bullets themselves
-try to pay attention to the movements of bullets as you go. Memorize them
-Practice, practice practice...I know this sounds cliche as fuck, but really It couldn't be anymore true. It took me weeks to 1cc my first touhou game ON EASY MODO and months just to beat it without continuing on Normal....I can't even count how much time was lost before I managed to beat my first extra stage.

>> No.3206631

>>3206617
In what way?

>> No.3206646

>>3206629

You should be able to catch on quicker than that. Grinding practice mode for two days can get me through any of the games.

>> No.3206654

>>3206631
I dunno. It's the same way in which you can magically become better at Touhou just by playing it.

I struggled out my first 1cc against Kaguya Normal a couple months back. If I were to boot up IN right now, I would probably be lucky to get through the wascally wabbits with more than 2 lives in the chamber, if even.

>> No.3206657

>>3206646
>Grinding
Not OP, I'm the other newfag in the thread, but I refuse to grind on these games. To me, that's not fun.

>> No.3206666

>>3206657
Then I recommend not playing them.

>> No.3206667

>>3206657

Then you have already lost.

>> No.3206683

Play on full screen

>> No.3206689

>>3206646
Yeah well I suck and don't constantly play nonstop...

So meh.

>> No.3206693

You have to leverage enterprise-quality advanced bullet intelligence application platform management framework solutions.

>> No.3206718

You either like ridiculous, rewardless memorization or you don't. Just play it to have fun.

>> No.3206722

Practice. Watch other people play. Not scorerunning, just normal players.

>> No.3206750

>>3206718
>like ridiculous, rewardless memorization
On /v/, describing a game like that will get you called a butthurt casual Halo baby.

>> No.3206780

>>3206750
But since this is /jp/, we can realize when a description is accurate, if a bit harshly stated.

>> No.3206787

>>3206780
Oh, they realize that on /v/. They just troll.

>> No.3206859

>>3206570
At what points of time should I hold shift for a duration longer than 2 seconds?

>> No.3206981

Someone once posted this on /jp/, I found it quite accurate. See if any of the points help you (ignore the modes, they're a bit accelerated)

The first time you play Touhou, you play it like Space Invaders. You move back and forth frantically. You die a lot.

Then you realize that you can move up and down, too. You complete EASY MODO.

Then you come to understand streaming. If the bullets are aimed at you, you don't move frantically; you move slowly to one side in a very cautious, streamlined manner. You complete NORMAL MODO.

Then one day you realize that you can see the spaces between the bullets instead of the bullets themselves. You feel like Neo as he saw the truth behind the Matrix. You complete HARD MODO.

Finally, you realize that Touhou is not a two-dimensional game; it has a third dimension: time. As your mind thinks in all three dimensions at once, transferring the Z axis of normal experience to a Z axis of time, you finally realize how to be in the right place at the right time to beat the hardest of spell cards. You complete LUNATIC MODO. You have reached Touhou Zen.

>> No.3207046

>>3206981
This.

Also, to the newfriends in this thread: watch replays. It's not embarrassing and you can get some very helpful tips about parts you may find hard.

>> No.3207050

>>3206859
I do it 60% of the time.

>> No.3207059

>>3206981
Well I can see spaces in pattens easily, and have streamed since day one, and I have difficulty 1ccing normal. I find practice works better than any particular strategy.

>> No.3207073

>>3206981
>Then you come to understand streaming. If the bullets are aimed at you, you don't move frantically; you move slowly to one side in a very cautious, streamlined manner. You complete NORMAL MODO.
Totally inaccurate on UFO.

>> No.3207171

>>3206981
>You have reached Touhou ZUN.
Fixed.

>> No.3207182

What is this shit? once I was able to 1cc MoF with 3-4 spare lifes left and now i tried again.
Guess what? Game Over at Aya...

>> No.3207209

>>3206584
Supersonic Aya gets my ass anyway.
And continuing with only 2 lifes is just frustrating.

>> No.3207235

In my experience, it's all about practice. Memorizing spellcards is important, but what you should really try for is to train your brain enough that you reach a certain mental "zone".

In this "zone", you stop seeing the enemy's danmaku as individual bullets, and start seeing them as moving pathways with which your character of choice must not intersect. Engage your brain's ability to predict outcomes until you achieve synaesthesia.

To help with this, two things:
1. Spend as little time focused as possible. This will get you out of the habit of using focused fire too much, and improve your natural maneuvering ability. Also, in some TH games, it will improve your score as well.
2. Keep your eyes on the whole screen, rather than just your character's immediate surroundings. Fail to do this, and you will likely find yourself repeatedly blindsided by rapidly-moving aimed fire, and end up bombing out of it.

>> No.3207266 [DELETED] 

What is this shit?
Usually you can play stage 1 with your eyes closed. In UFO you have to watch out.

Usually you can do whatever you like in stage 2. In UFO you hace to be extra careful.

Usually you have to be a little careful in stage 3. In UFO it feels like motherfucking stage 4!

Usually you have to train o beat stage 4 without BOMB BOMB BOMB. In UFO You have to train o beat stage 4 without BOMB BOMB BOMB.

Usually in Stage 5 you scream THAT FUCKING MAID or GARDENER. (lol Reisen & Sanae) In UFO you scream I CAN`T SEE SHIT!

Usually in Stage 6 you think this is the best bossfight EVER. In UFO you think. OK that was it? meh.

>> No.3207283
File: 278 KB, 744x867, 1234978762450.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

What is this shit?
Usually you can play stage 1 with your eyes closed. In UFO you have to watch out.

Usually you can do whatever you like in stage 2. In UFO you hace to be extra careful.

Usually you have to be a little careful in stage 3. In UFO it feels like motherfucking stage 4!

Usually you have to train to beat stage 4 without BOMB BOMB BOMB. In UFO You have to train to beat stage 4 without BOMB BOMB BOMB.

Usually in Stage 5 you scream THAT FUCKING MAID, CAT or GARDENER. (lol Reisen & Sanae) In UFO you scream I CAN`T SEE SHIT!

Usually in Stage 6 you think this is the best bossfight EVER. In UFO you think. OK that was it? meh.

>> No.3207303

What does shift+z do?

>> No.3207359

>>3207303
Deploy focused bomb.

>> No.3207363

>>3207303
It unleashes the fury.

>> No.3207381

I've never actually tried touhou because I watch the gameplay videos online. There's about a pixel of space between the flying shit, and your character is 5 pixels wide. Do you have some sort of lifebar or is the hitbox really, really tiny?

>> No.3207405

>>3207303
focused shoot

>> No.3207424
File: 99 KB, 500x800, kanako HNNNNGH.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

The only game I seriously played was MoF.
I almost ejaculated when I finally 1cc`ed it on normal.

>> No.3207437

>>3207424
me too

>> No.3207449

>>3207381
>I've never actually tried touhou
We could tell from your last post.

>> No.3207451

Soooo.... are there any other people who can 1cc Hard Modo is other Touhou games that can't 1cc Normal in UFO?

I can play flawlessly throughout of the first three stages IF I'M LUCKY, and then I absolutely get my ass handed to me on stage 4. I can't even beat it WITH continues.

>> No.3207453

>>3207381
hitbox is the red and white circle on your character sprite

>> No.3207457

>>3207451
*in other Touhou games

>> No.3207890

I too am new to Touhou, and finding it really, really hard, but I'm sticking with it. Not because I'm having fun, oh no, I do not like this type of gameplay at all, regardless of very slowly getting better. No, at this point, it's my pride that is forcing me to do it. So that when I continue to dislike it, I will know in my heart, that it is not just because I suck at it.

However, I have to wonder. I have to work hard at it to overcome my suckyness, so even if I overcome that, can I ever truly transcend my suckyness? Or will I ultimately still hate it because it was never any fun to work that hard at something that's supposed to be fun, but wasn't because of my inherent suckyness. I am a NES kid afterall, I'm no stranger to games that kick your ass until you PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE, but usually I'm having fun while practicing, but not in Touhou. The only thing that makes me keep at it is not wanting to admit defeat.

Another thing that makes practicing it more of a pain is that the games themselves are so short. In a more normal game context, you have level after level or mission after mission to gradually hone your skills. In Touhou, you're practicing on the same small handfull of levels over and over again which makes it extra tedious and repetitive.

But just to be clear, I'm not saying Touhou games suck in any objective way, they just are really not my personal cup of tea. But I'll drink this tea or it'll haunt me forever.

>> No.3207913 [DELETED] 

I've been playing MoF for almost 2 weeks 10 hours each day and never got past the middle of stage 5 until just now. I was able to reach Kanako's last spell card. What I'm asking is if someone would be kind enough to watch my replay so I can get some pointers and finally get over the hump?

Replay is a rar inside this jpg.

>> No.3207919
File: 257 KB, 920x1300, replay.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I've been playing MoF for almost 2 weeks 10 hours each day and never got past the middle of stage 5 until just now. I was able to reach Kanako's last spell card. What I'm asking is if someone would be kind enough to watch my replay so I can get some pointers and finally get over the hump?

Replay is a rar inside this jpg.

>> No.3207930

>>3207919
0x7F33A6D8
0x58031377
0x80040801

have fun

>> No.3207944
File: 17 KB, 450x450, Kanako Sanae.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3207919

Practice the stages you've completed until you can get to Kanako with as many lives as possible, attempt to beat Kanako. Oddly, it's worth noting her final spell card is harder on easy then it is on normal for some reason.

Either way you need to get used to her shit, most of it isn't as hard as some of the other bosses bullshit, but dat final spellcard is a wall for some.

>> No.3208004

>>3207890

Yeah, Touhou's probably not for you. You're supposed to enjoy yourself while sucking, and feel immensely satisfied at managing to overcome difficulties. It's all about the adrenaline rush of facing bosses that are rock hard and somehow managing to beat them.

>> No.3208057 [DELETED] 

>>3207930

>> No.3208060

>>3207930
What do that mean?

>> No.3208066

>>3207451
>Soooo.... are there any other people who can 1cc Hard Modo is other Touhou games that can't 1cc Normal in UFO?

There shouldn't.
Assuming you play a perfect game (you really shouldn't have any problems in the early stages on Normal), you have 8 EIGHT lifes when you beat stage 3.

When you get to CURVY LASERS, you have 8 lifes and 4+ bombs. Assuming you bomb through the curvy shit, you get 5+ bombs in stage 6 and end up with 8 LIFES 8 BOMBS when you fight the final boss.
Then there's no way you could lose 8 LIFES 8 BOMBS on that single boss.

>>3207890
>In Touhou, you're practicing on the same small handful of levels over and over again which makes it extra tedious and repetitive.

Wrong, you have 10 Touhou games that play exactly the same, that makes for 6*10 levels + Extra stages.
Try to practice more than one game at the same time. You'll not get better if you just practice by memorizing that ONE single game. You'll then suck at every other game.

>> No.3208079

>>3207451
Me. I end up doing dumb mistakes (see: death on Kogasa) and ragequitting even though I've done all other Hard modes and some Lunatics.

I got a bit better though.

>> No.3208081

>>3208066
I have problems with stage 3 and ichirin

>> No.3208088

>>3208066
>Assuming you play a perfect game
WELL I WOULDNT FUCKING NEED YOUR HELP IF I PLAYED A PERFECT GAME NOW WOULD I, FAG

>> No.3208092

>>3208088
He's obviously talking about playing a perfect game up to stage 3.

>> No.3208192

Try playing other shmups too - I don't really know many, but I think all (most?) the CAVE ones are a good start. You will get raped by them, but eventually you might learn something or two.

>> No.3208335
File: 2.38 MB, 1280x1440, picture.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3207919
This looks like you care more about score than your survival.

I see high levels of >>3206981.
Get to this point already.
>Then you come to understand streaming. If the bullets are aimed at you, you don't move frantically; you move slowly to one side in a very cautious, streamlined manner. You complete NORMAL MODO.

Every time you would've had to stream, you "frantically moved around the screen", and the only time you would've had to move around, you tried to stream.
When something is aimed at you, don't move too much.

Also, you need to shoot down the enemies before they even get to shoot anything at you. You can take down the 3 waves of big fairies in the (first?)stage before they fire a single shot.

Let's not even talk about the rest of Sanae and everything in stage 6 because you didn't even bother to clear anything and bombed when you saw a single bullet. Just watch a (no bomb, no death) replay of those stages and imitate them.

Finally, your tapping is too slow. When you tap in a direction, you move too much in that direction. Lunatic Kogasa would laugh at you. Do you play with a gamepad or keyboard? Try tapping as fast as possible, the button shouldn't be pressed longer than 8 milliseconds (pulling that out of my ass).

>> No.3208413

>>3208092
YEAH WELL IF I COULD DO THAT ALL TOUHOU GAMES WOULD BE EASY

>> No.3208428

>>3207919
It looks like you have no technique for Sanae or Kanako, so it's no surprise you get wrecked on the last 2 stages. You really can't expect to beat the late stage bosses without some kind of method, because it's very hard to win on pure dodging skill alone unless you're a good amount better than the difficulty you're playing on. Like AoA said, watch perfect run replays for that stuff. That should leave you enough lives and bombs to get through the rest.

Also Aya's kinda hard and most of her spellcards reqiure quick bullet reading (her last one is more about timing). If you get sick of practicing her, just bomb all her parts that you can't do and move on. You might want to just bomb through anything else like that. Like Kanako's rice porridge, just bomb that fucker before it clips you out of nowhere.

>> No.3208421

>>3208413
Touhou games ARE easy.

>> No.3208457

>>3208335
>This looks like you care more about score than your survival.
I was just trying to score so I could get more lives.
>Every time you would've had to stream, you "frantically moved around the screen", and the only time you would've had to move around, you tried to stream.
When something is aimed at you, don't move too much.
This should clear up the more I practice get a better understanding of where the enemies are coming from.
>Also, you need to shoot down the enemies before they even get to shoot anything at you. >You can take down the 3 waves of big fairies in the (first?)stage before they fire a single shot.
Ditto.
>Let's not even talk about the rest of Sanae and everything in stage 6 because you didn't even bother to clear anything and bombed when you saw a single bullet. Just watch a (no bomb, no death) replay of those stages and imitate them.
I panicked, pure and simple as that.

Thank you for that analysis and the image was far more than I could have asked for.

>> No.3208468

>>3208428
>>3208335
Also thank you for not just saying switch characters.

>> No.3208470

>>3206556
QUALITY broom

>> No.3208490

>>3208468
And i forgot.

You tried to shoot Aya in Illusionary Dominance.

That's a survival spellcard. She doesn't have a life bar.
You just have to survive until it's over.

The lasers from Aya's speed create those green bullets in 2 waves, one that falls to the right and one that falls to the left.

This means if you move to the bottom right or left, you only have to deal with 1 wave and not both at the same time.

>> No.3208509 [DELETED] 

>>3206556
Tried Wikipedia?
--
> Learn English: http://vtbsd.net/english/
> Use English: http://www.anøntalk.com/ICARE

>> No.3208517
File: 282 KB, 637x475, Your usual UFO screenshot.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Play UFO

>> No.3208533

>>3208468
Yeah I almost added that maybe you should switch to someone less fiddly than Marisa A, but she kills things fine and I like when people main the weird characters.

>> No.3208554

>>3208533
I tried pretty much every character and I was the best with Marisa A.

The worst was Reimu C.

>> No.3208573

>>3208457
>>3208468
I just did a Normal run, sorry for a few retarded deaths (Sanae, Kanako's clipdeath card) and general awkward feel (I pretty much never played MoF Normal before) but I hope it helps on how to tackle attacks.

http://replays.gensokyo.org/download.php?id=4490

>> No.3208576

This r copypasta

You can't get better if you play once a day, and then wonder why investing an average 10-30 min a day won't get you anywhere.
The best times I had when I went from zero skill to beating normal / extra / phantasm in PCB, shit's'took 14 hours but it was probably my most memorable day in my life, regarding playing touhou.
Also I used to do spell practice in IN UNTIL I FUCKING CAPTURED IT FINALLY
Needed like 70 tries to memorize a perfect pattern for Keine's last spell. But know what, I invested 3 hours into pure spell practice in one go, and I already improved from "beating normal on a flinch" to "beat hard with 3 lives left"
The only other card that gave me problems was Apollo 13 and the latter cards from Eirin, but at this point, I had countless bombs and didn't care anymore as I'd breeze through all the stages flawlessly.

Now I'm still trying to figure out a foolproof way to beat Syou's spinning laser of death. It's hard.

tl;dr man up, you bitches, go play the game

>> No.3208590

>>3208554
I mained Reimu C for a long time until I finally tried the rest and was like hey.. this bitch takes twice as long to kill bosses as everyone else. It was like I'd been playing on Normal and a Half mode. I maintain that it was good practice.

>> No.3208604

>>3208576
You can learn by playing like 1-2 hours every day, too.

>> No.3208607

>>3208576
god, those people who DON'T SPEND 24 HOURS A DAY PLAYING TOUHOU are such losers.

>> No.3208628

I DON'T PLAY THIS GAME OR GENRE AT ALL AND REFUSE TO PUT ANY EFFORT INTO DOING SO.

WHY AM I NO GOOD AT THEM?!

PLEASE OFFER SIMPLE PRO-TIPS SO I CAN EASILY TAP INTO MY LATENT INNATE ABILITY.

>> No.3208680

If there are any arcades near you go to them. I had only played a bit of touhou and I ended up putting a credit in Mushihime-sama in one of these places because if I play a fighting game I will probably have to interact with someone.

The thing about the danmaku genre is it makes you look a lot better than you actually are. Especially to people who know nothing about it. I didn't do particularly well but people took an interest. I kind of fed off people giving a shit I was good at making a little girl move left and right away from purple sludge. This motivated me a lot more to learn how to play these games properly, to use the whole screen, have confidence enough not to stare at my ship, stream more freestyle and take an active interest in my score.

>> No.3208695

>>3208680
It seems absolutely crazy to me that people beat the 2nd loops and shit on those just by going to arcades

Even constantly replaying DoDonPachi on MAME at home I still can't beat regular stage 5

>> No.3208698

>>3208680
>The thing about the danmaku genre is it makes you look a lot better than you actually are.
Truth. To be honest, I've never really shown off to anyone (or had the chance to, for that matter), but I know that my mind used to be blown with things like Reisen's bullets, Keine's lasers, Youmu's SUPER SPEED, and such like that.

Well, Youmu still kicks my ass, but it's certainly not as hard as it looks.

>> No.3208709 [DELETED] 

>>3208573
Thanks, that was helpful. I think I can pull this off before Monday now.

Also does anyone know a way around that bug that makes you see the worst stage 4 run you have for that cherecter?

>> No.3208718

>>3208573
Thanks, that was helpful. I think I can pull this off before Monday now.

Also does anyone know a way around that bug that makes you see the worst stage 4 run you have for that character?

>> No.3208720

>>3208698
In my opinion, Reisen has the absolute best eyecandy:difficulty ratio.

Okuu would be up there, but she wrecks me too much.

>> No.3208721

>>3208680
Heh, I suffer on that aspect since my playstyle is focused entirely on bombs. When planning for a difficult run, I think "which parts are easy enough to not warrant a bomb?" instead of "what is too hard for me to take on and should be bombed? " so my runs are not quite impressive.

>>3208709
Solo stage 4 runs bypass that problem, I'll run it now and upload in a bit.

Damn, I prefer Lunatic version of Aya's last card to her Normal version. I hate small bullets.

>> No.3208725

>>3208709
You mean in the replays? It seems to desynch if you try to play stage 4, but if you play stage 3 and fast forward and let it go into 4, it's fine. ZUN never fixes those damn replay desynch bugs, I bet UFO still does it.

>> No.3208742

>>3208720
Sanae's ratio is pretty high too on a couple attacks. The ones that are just STARS and then they start to unfold all curvy and the entire screen becomes bullets. But they're pretty trivial to beat.

>> No.3208747

>>3208695
I play much better in an arcade than at home, I think it's much easier to get into 'the zone.' Probably because it's the real thing, people are watching and your money is on the line.

Plus, you get to watch other people play and even ask them questions. It was great when I was in Japan because you could just watch some God play the game first and go in with a handful of tricks.

I think all my CAVE 1cc's and loops (entering the loop, never come close to beating one) have happened on the PCB first.

>> No.3208772

>>3208718
http://replays.gensokyo.org/download.php?id=4491

Here. By the way, this stage is oddly almost the same on Lunatic. You actually have to bomb Momizi (plus the clusterfuck after her) and the small bullets are faster, but there's no other significant difference.

>> No.3208800

>>3208772
Can't thank you enough.

>> No.3208870

>>3208720
I actually think that most of IN has very inflated eye candy: difficulty ratio do to the fact that there are so many bullets on the screen.

>> No.3208961

>>3208628
The issue is that other games have a much more gradual learning curve and are fun to play while getting better. These games just feel like a chore, so I want to get to the being half decent part ASAP. If the skill they required was moderately higher than my own, if the bar was reachable if I stretched, it'd be a fun challenge, but I feel like I'm trying to learn to ride a unicycle blindfolded on a hill.

But if you find them fun, your mileage will vary.

>> No.3208988

>>3208961

Personally, I find Touhou to have a much more lenient learning curve than almost *any* danmaku game I know. Which other games do you mean?

>> No.3209015

All other Danmaku games I played have extremely fast bullets you can only dodge if you know precisely when and where. In short, 100% memorization.

>> No.3209049

A simple tip that helped me a lot; try to beat the game WITHOUT bombing. Make a few playthroughs like this, using practice mode if you can't reach certain stages without bombs.
Then, after a while, you should be able to capture a lot more cards, because the lack of bombs will make you try to dodge stuff that seemed impossible. You'll also know exactly at which cards you suck. Now play the game using bombs, and bomb the fuck out of the hardest spellcards (or stage sections) right of the bat. Congrats, you 1cc'ed normal!
Also, try IN first, it's the easiest.

>> No.3209060

>>3209049
1cc = bombing
practice stages = not bombing

its as simple as that

>> No.3209068

>>3209015
Other games don't have the kind of patterns Touhou has though.
They tend to be either much more simple and straightforward, a random clusterfuck, or somewhere in between.

>>
Name
Subject
Comment
Action