[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/jp/ - Otaku Culture

View post   

File: 14 KB, 250x250, 1179893285843.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
3125153 No.3125153 [Reply] [Original]

To anyone who has been to Japan (and not at their local sushi restaurant), how is the cuisine? I'm sure there's good and bad, but I'm interested in hearing the places where you ate and your dining experience.

>> No.3125172

God tier: Chinese food

Shit tier: Japanese food

>> No.3125180

I just went actually. I ate at a great conveyor belt sushi place in akihabara. It was amazing cause it was nearly free. Each place was about a dollar. quality was comparable to most sushi in America too.

>> No.3125182
File: 33 KB, 400x400, 1237859346781.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3125180
Fascinating.

>> No.3125188

>>3125172
This pretty much

>> No.3125208

It all depends where you go. Also, go to a legit ramen house.

>> No.3125223
File: 53 KB, 377x500, Reaction Philip Glass.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.3125228

>>3125180
OP here, I was interested in this. I'm only a mild sushi fan, but it seems that every place in America serves sushi for around 5-10 dollar per roll. I've heard of Japan's low sushi prices, and I'd love to be a part of that.

>> No.3125239

>>3125228
Just go to any Chinese buffet. Have as much sushi as you want, although variety and quality varies.

>> No.3125243

>>3125228
>>3125180

100 yen sushi is...edible and OKish, but far from the good stuff. As a general rule, if it has a conveyor belt, it's not the highest quality.

Cuisine is really regional and seasonal, so it makes going to small restaurants worth your while.

>> No.3125252

>>3125172

God tier: Italian Food, Mexican Food

High tier: Chinese food, Cajun Food

Mid tier: Japanese food

Low tier: Most other countries

Shit tier: American "food"

>> No.3125256
File: 7 KB, 100x100, Akira_003.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I loved the cuisine for the most part while I lived there. Memorable experiences:

-Many curry restaurants and each one different had a different flavor. First night in Japan I had fried octopus curry which was the yum.

-Kaiten Zushi (conveyor belt sushi) always fun. Once had raw horse sushi at one.

-Kamon Market in Shimonoseki. Cheap, super fresh and delicious sushi.

Toufu restaurant in Hiroshima. Walking in you feel like you've been transported to somewhere else. They make their own toufu in house using the fresh water from Hijiyama. Almost all the dishes where made from tofu or contained it. Really amazing little place.

Too many awesome ramen restaurants to count.

Yatai restaurants (carts) are always fun.

Ikazaya's usually have an interesting assortment of food. Sometimes good, sometimes not so much.

My ex-boss used to always take us out to interesting restaurants for work meetings. Loved them every time.

I'm a giant weeaboo though so of course I loved the food. I think more people don't care for real/traditional Japanese cuisine than there are who do like it.

I could go on.

>> No.3125259

Gyoza no Ohsho (www.ohsho.co.jp)
Gyoza, ramen, fried rice, wide assortment of chinese dishes; fast, cheap ($2-5 for most dishes), one in almost every city.

Ippudo (www.ippudo.com)
Hakata style ramen, fast, great lunch set menu, one or more in major cities.

>> No.3125270

>>3125266

Hamburger and Hot Dogs

>> No.3125266

>>3125252
But American food doesn't exist, we just eat other cultures' food. Is that why it's in quotes?

>> No.3125271

>>3125223
"Fascinating Fascinating Fascinating Fascinating
Fascinating Fascinating Fascinating Fascinating Fascinating Fascinating Fascinating Fascinating
Fascinating Fascinating Fascinating Fascinating"

>> No.3125274
File: 739 KB, 1280x720, laughingatyou.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3125252
>Mexican food god tier
>no mention of french food
Get out of your middle class cesspool

>> No.3125276

>>3125239
I despise most Chinese buffet sushi, but I've never been to a Chinese buffet that isn't a hole-in-the-wall place.

>>3125243
Yeah, that would make sense. I'm assuming that average Japanese sushi is the equivalent to "good" American sushi?

>> No.3125288

Also, Coco-Ichibanya (www.ichibanya.co.jp)
Made-to-order curry, fast, cheap, seasonal stuff. You can customize how spicy you want it, too.

Coco and the other two aren't the absolute best places in Japan, but you can find them pretty much everywhere.

>> No.3125299

Sort of related question, but what does a typical Japanese meal (not in a restaurant) consist of? I'm staying with a family while studying, and food is my biggest concern.

>> No.3125327

>>3125299
"Traditional" Japanese meal consists of a bowl of rice, fish, miso soup, some sort of salad, maybe a small beef or pork dish.

But what you will be fed will depend on your family and their own eating habits. People do, after all, vary their weekly diets. You might also expect curry, katsu, various dons, hot-pots, hamburger patties, fried rice, noodles, and so on.

>> No.3125333

>>3125327
Oh. That all sounds pretty good, really. I was reading about stuff like natto and feared for the worst.

>> No.3125340

>>3125327

hey, I always wondered this, whats with Japan and hamburger patties? Why do they remove the bread and vegetables and sauces?

>> No.3125346

>>3125153
I have been living in Japan for two years and have found that most truly Japanese food sucks. Most of it is excessively complicated and either totally tasteless or very strong yet vile and rancid. It is often very boring cuisine, particularly the stuff that is considered 'high class' by Japanese.

On the other hand, many things that are regarded as Japanese but are in fact modified versions of foreign food from long ago, for example ramen, tenpura, and manju, are quite good. In fact, chances are that if a Japanese dish is good, it was inspired by a Chinese or some other foreign dish at some point.

The exception to the above is Japanese junk food. The things that probably aren't inspired by any foreign dishes (that I know of), but aren't considered among the high class Japanese cuisine that is most often talked about. Some of the stuff you get at bars and festivals, like okonomiyaki and takoyaki, are very tasty.

The dichotomy in Japanese food, between the "clean and pure" (i.e. boring and tasteless) flavors of true Japanese dishes and the strong, vibrant, complex tastes of so many of the foreign-influenced dishes is quite interesting. I don't know how they can have so much excellent food around, yet still insist that uncooked, unseasoned fish and sea grass taste good.

>> No.3125374

>>3125340
Because you're a dumbass. That's a Salisbury steak, called hamburg in Japanese. If you go to a hamburger restaurant, they're served on a bun with condiments just like anywhere else.

>> No.3125387

>>3125374

Take it easy

>> No.3125413

>>3125333
You might get natto in the morning. But honestly there are plenty of Japanese who don't like natto either. Chances are you'll be given natto at least once (mainly for their humor), and if you absolutely hate it they probably won't bother you with it again. There's always cereal as a morning option, though cereal boxes are only good for two bowls.

Other than natto, watch out for umeboshi (pickled plums, red/pink in color, served on top of plain rice in bentos). They are extremely sour, and again Japanese will feed it to you at least once just to humor themselves.

>> No.3125425

>>3125346
Agreed. Cheap Japanese food is usually way nicer than the fancy stuff.

>>
Name
Subject
Comment
Action