[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/jp/ - Otaku Culture

View post   

File: 239 KB, 1023x1162, 1248256168011.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
3017464 No.3017464 [Reply] [Original]

You know how VNs let you speed up text but generally don't let you just skip scenes entirely? Why is that? It works well enough in, say, Tsukihime. Is it really that much harder to implement scene-skipping, or what's the deal?

I've even seen this outside of VNs, with normal vidya, and I always wondered why they don't just let you skip scenes completely.

>> No.3017474

>>3017464
Short answer: no
long answer: depends on the structure of the vn

>> No.3017512

I can name four VNs off the top of my head that do that, including the one you named. tsukihime, fsn, koitate, oretsuba. There's 2-3 others as well that I've played, but they don't come to mind right now.

Anyway, it's rarely done because, well, 'skip already read text' is fine and VNs usually aren't divided up as neatly.

I am typically not fond of that functionality anyway, and would rather just an incredibly fast 'skip already read text' feature - otherwise I'm liable to forget what happened in the scene I'm skipping (VNs like koitate that give a decent summary of the scene are less prone to this flaw)

>> No.3017532

>>3017512

Personally, I liked how you could reach any point in the game from the very beginning in under a minute in Tsukihime.

Though that admittedly had a lot to do with playing Tsukihime and F/SN on vnds. Shit was SO glitchy.

>>
Name
Subject
Comment
Action