[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/jp/ - Otaku Culture

View post   

File: 355 KB, 512x512, 1583506120600.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
29998619 No.29998619 [Reply] [Original]

I know ZUN loves his mythology puns and references, there's so many I might as well make a thread out of it so I can find out more niche ones.
I remember there's one really intricate one about Sagume with herons and Reisen but I can't recall the specifics.

>> No.29999077

>>29998619
>Reisen
I forgot about Sagume, but what of Reisen? Are you sure it's not about Seiran and the Fighter Jets?

>> No.29999079

>>29998619
Great thread

>> No.30000710

Someone please list all the Jojo references ZUN has ever made. I feel like some may have been lost in translation.

>> No.30001781

>>29999077
I actually managed to find it somehow, I don't even remember where I got this from I just saved it on a notepad and forgot where I put it.

A bit of fun trivia about Sagume's origin.

In the single one myth Amenosagume is featured in most have mentioned that they got freaked out by a divine messenger bird sent by Amaterasu on the advice of Omoikane and urged Amewakahiko to shoot it. However being a divine messenger bird and the arrow being of the same it instead turned back on Amewakahiko killing him. Along with being the originator of all Amanojaku it is easy to see how it inspired her design and gimmick of the world turning against her words.

Now the slight fun bit of trivia is more of a linguistic one that birds & rabbits share the same numeric counter suffixes and japanese even tends to refer to groups of rabbits as 'flocks' instead of 'colony'.

Evidently this linguistic tick has many origins but in one story from the same origin as the Amenosagume story about Emperor Temmu. It was said that he issued a Imperial edict that forbade the consumption of meat & fish due to Buddhist teachings. However due to the wording of this ban it basically overlooked birds.

Now people who really liked their meat through some impressive mental gymnastics figured that since cormorants and herons are okay, rabbits are also birds and good to eat. The significance of this is when you say comorant & heron together quickly it becomes a pun spelling out 'u + sagi'.

When you put it into the context of LoLK, and you realize Sagume's wing is pretty unmistakeably a Heron's wing. Sagume (sagi) ends up facing Reisen (usagi) who is the messenger bird sent by Omoikane/Eirin resulting in Sagume's attack getting turned against her.

Seriously that fucking ZUN.

>> No.30002201

>>30001781
Wow, this is amazing. I'm sure we've missed other cool stuff like this in the past. Very interesting.

>> No.30030099

>>29998619
maybe latter just put in text format all the pc-98 references that I has from the translator, like MS is shin megami tensei doujin

>> No.30030143

>>30030099
*have

>> No.30033598

An anime reference I know is that Double Dealing Character is likely a Revolutionary Girl Utena reference. A revolution taking place in an upside down castle is pretty telling.

>> No.30045733
File: 759 KB, 1844x1260, 1583284306841.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Hey, I found another one.

Mokou is probably my favorite Touhou character. There's just so much symbolism put into her. Her name, Fujiwara no Mokou, (藤原 妹紅,) literally means "Scarlet (younger) Sister," tying her to an earlier Extra Boss. Her name can also mean, according to ZUN, "Paint me Red," alluding to her violent fate. Furthermore, "Mokou" can also be translated into Mourning (喪) Female Phoenix (凰). It also alludes to the Great Burnet, (吾亦紅 Waremokou... "Fujiware no Mokou"?) a plant that has historically been used to stop bleeding, heal wounds as well as treat burns and insect bites. (The last one being mildly notable as Wriggle Nightbug was the first boss in Imperishable Night.)
"Fujiwara", in the meantime, is not only the name of one of Japan's oldest noble clans, tying her to the events of "Tale of the Bamboo Cutter," but perhaps more notably we have the end of "The Tale of the Bamboo Cutter," where the emperor commands his troops to burn the elixir of life that Kaguya left him, along with a letter to Kaguya, at the top of the highest mountain in Japan, him having decided that he could not stand living forever if he could not do so by Kaguya's side. And this is allegedly how Mt. Fuji is said to have gotten its name: From the abundant (富 fu) soldiers (士, shi/ji) ascending the slopes of the mountain. However, a second origin of the mountain's name is also suggested: "Immortal" (不死, fushi)... This was also the explanation for why smoke could always be seen rising from the back-then actively volcanic Fuji: The immortal smoke was reaching for the moon so that it may one day reach Kaguya. And the title of Mokou's theme is? That's right: "Reach for the Moon, Immortal Smoke."
Another thing I really like is the relation between Mokou and Mononobe no Futo. Just like Mokou, Futo hails from an ancient noble clan, uses fire magic, has obtained immortality and has a rivalry with a fellow noble woman that's romantically involved with an emperor. (Y'know, 'cuz Tojiko's historical counterpart was the lover of Miko's historical counterpart.) Only, unlike Mokou, who is pretty casual about her fire magic mastery, Futo is a pyromaniac, and unlike Mokou who suffers her way through immortality, Futo enjoys being immortal. Furthermore, Futo actually succeeded in killing her rival, and even though Tojiko came back as a vengeful spirit, she and Futo are on friendly terms with each other, unlike Mokou and Kaguya...
Speaking of the taoists: As you probably know, Futo's historical counterpart betrayed her clan in support of Miko's historical counterpart. A while later, Mokou's supposed grandfather, Nakatomi no Kamatari, betrayed the Soga clan for a different emperor, causing Tojiko's clan to go extinct. Kamatari was given the clan name "Fujiwara" in gratitude for his services, but he was struck dead by lightning shortly thereafter, an incident which was said to be the curse of the Soga... Now, keep in mind that Tojiko uses thunderbolt danmaku, add two and two aaand, yup, Tojiko probably killed Mokou's grandfather, so that's funny, too.

>> No.30054416 [DELETED] 

... y ou said mytHOLOgy! AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA XDXDXDXD hold on, hold on, my sidesssss oh nelly that was a jolly outburst. Thank you for that, phew! *wipes sweat off forehead* Okay, back to my containment thread.

>> No.30058353

>>30054416
>mytHOLOgy!
kek, nice one

>> No.30060921

>>30001781
>I don't even remember where I got this from I just saved it on a notepad and forgot where I put it.
It might have been one of the previous threads. I forgot the exact name of the thread but they were full on discussion of the series' reference points and what they were based on as the game was in production, or manga if they show up there.

>Seriously that fucking ZUN.
2 years/game. It's justified.
I'll probably get back to this if I remember the threads; they weren't common but they got a fair number of posts. I wish I bookmarked them or something.

>>30045733
>A while later, Mokou's supposed grandfather, Nakatomi no Kamatari, betrayed the Soga clan for a different emperor, causing Tojiko's clan to go extinct.
I knew some stuff about Mokou's side, but I didn't know about that.
>Tojiko probably killed Mokou's grandfather, so that's funny, too.
I don't know about funny, but the grin won't go away.

>> No.30078967

>>30001781
>I actually managed to find it somehow, I don't even remember where I got this from I just saved it on a notepad and forgot where I put it.
Actual original anon here who posted all of that way back, it was from a series of lore research thread about 2 or 3 years back I think? Was fun participating in those discussions and even revealed a bunch of deeper references then most realized even in some of the older games.

>>30045733
There is actually a bit more history to this.

The Soga clan were originally a noble clan who hailed from Korea who gained influence through many political reforms they brought about and spreading Buddhism. Even Prince Shotoku supposedly learned the ways of Buddhism from Korean monks. Even the story of the Tokoyo no Kami (Eternity's origin) cult who would earn the ire of the Hata clan (The same as Kokoro) has its roots in a plot devised by the Soga clan.

This caused the Shinto based conservative anti-Buddhist factions led by the Mononobe and Nakatomi clans to become best of friends and the Soga's mortal enemies considering this as a covert Korean/China invasion. Even Futo's pyromaniac nature is a reference to the most famous of her clan Moriya who with the Nakatomi clan would go about burning all the Buddhist temples.

The rest is as you mentioned with the Nakatomi becoming the Fujiwara and the Soga clans 'revenge'.

>> No.30079833

>>30078967
>it was from a series of lore research thread about 2 or 3 years back I think?
That was it.
The lore threads.

>> No.30080229

>>30045733
I thought she was just female fireflower mario.

>> No.30080314

>>30080229
>I thought she was just female fireflower mario.

>> No.30090128

Hatate is a reference to ZUN's ex-girlfriend

>> No.30100663
File: 19 KB, 254x324, Doremy Surprise.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>30090128
>Hatate is a reference to ZUN's ex-girlfriend
elaborate please

>> No.30100785

>>30001781
>>30045733
Do you have the one about Medicine? I remember it vaguely, but she has some cool symbolism in her design.

>> No.30101100

>EosD
Vlad Tepes III Draculesti/Count Dracula - Responsible for turning the Scarlet sisters into vampire.

>PCB
Saigyou Houshi/Satou Norikiyo (西行法師/佐藤義清) - Yuyuko's father, also the famous poet who died and became the embodiment of Saigyou Ayakashi Tree.

>IaMP
Yamata no Orochi/Ibuki Daimyoujin (八岐大蛇/伊吹大明神) - Suika's father. Suggest her in a dream to find the other Oni so she wouldn't be lonely.

>IN
Sanuki no Miyatsuko (讃岐造) and Fujiwara no Fuhito (藤原不比等) - Kaguya's adoptive father and Mokou's father. The former persuaded Kaguya to stay at Earth (only to run away from the Lunarians before he managed to reunite with Kaguya) while the latter possessed Sanuki no Miyatsuko to enact revenge on him and Kaguya.

>PoFV
Enmaten (焔魔天) - The Ruler of Higan and Chief Judge of Hell. Responsible for creating Shikieiki from Jizou statue and employed Komachi under her.

>MoF
Takeminakata/Kouga Saburou (建御名方/甲賀三郎) - The original Ruler of Suwa region. Also the husband of Yasakatome no Kami/Kanako as Takeminakata and Moreya no Kami/Suwako as Kouga Saburou.

>SWR
Taishakuten (帝釈天) - The Lord of Heaven and Leader of the Celestials. Responsible for giving Tenshi the Sword of Hisou so she can create an incident that results territory expansion for Heaven.

>SA
Sarutahiko (猿田毘古) - Earthly kami who lead Ninigi to the land together with Yatagarasu and the ancestor of monkey-like youkai like Satori. Responsible for trapping Yatagarasu underground that results Kanako persuading Utsuho to eat it.

>UFO
Myouren (命蓮) - Byakuren's brother and the driving force behind her quest for immortality to avoid death.

>TD
Emperor Youmei (用明天皇) - Father of Prince Shoutoku/Miko and a relative to Soga clan. Responsible for introducing Taoism to the Soga and Mononobe before Seiga Kaku came in.

>HM
Hata no Kawakatsu/Taikou Daimyoujin (秦河勝/対抗大明神)- The creator and father figure for Hata no Kokoro. Responsible for throwing away the Mask of Hope so she could stand on her own emotionally.

>DDC
Urikohime (瓜子姫) - The Princess that Shinmyoumaru sworn to protect in the past, only to get murdered accidentally by Seija.

>ULiL
Usami Clan (宇佐美氏/宇佐見氏) - They're samurai clan differing branch of Ito clan and Kudo clan. The only known members are Usami Sadamitsu (宇佐美定満), a general of Uesugi clan, and Usami Sukemochi (宇佐美祐茂), Head of the Usami clan at Izu in Heian period. Possible ancestor of Sumireko and Renko.

>LoLK
Feng Meng/Houmou (逢蒙) - Hou Yi's apprentice and responsible for his death with the collaboration of Han Zhou and Xuan Qi/Junko. He's also the only one who try to rob the Elixir of Immortality from Chang'e/Jouga, resulting her drank the said Elixir and become immortal, which also results Junko's erratic pursue on her.

>AoCM
Kisshoten (吉祥天) and Kokuanten (黒闇天) - The original Goddess Fortune/Blessing and Misfortune/Disaster. Both sisters are mother figure of Jo'on and Shion respectively. Tired of of their daughters always messing around, they told them to take a vacation in Gensokyo and attend Primsriver + Raiko concert. Little did they know, that their daughters already hatched a plan for having their own fun in Gensokyo.

>HSiFS
Shinra Myoujin (新羅明神) - The Mysterious Deity of Miidera Temple and the main rival of Matarajin/Okina. Not wanting to lose his status as Secret God, he goaded and challenged Okina to reveal herself on Gensokyo in order to win a bet between them.

>> No.30101321

>>30100663
Dude trust me

>> No.30108171
File: 110 KB, 3152x375, Astronauts watching for Chang'e.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>29998619
Apollo 11's astronauts were told to watch for Chang'e.

>> No.30114431

>>30101100
>AoCM
Antinomy of Common Mowers?

>> No.30142160

>>30108171
I thought the transcript said Kaguya

>> No.30142226

>>30108171
>>30142160
Wait, I think it was referencing the bunny girl.

>> No.30180689

>>30108171
rofl

>> No.30197553

These lore threads always reveal to me why I find most Touhou inspired games to be lacking something, and it's that no matter how good and well polished they are, none of them have this much writing put into them.

>> No.30219872

>>30197553
What level of writing do you find satisfactory?
I haven't touched absolutely every single offshoot, but I'm sure there's a few that have attention to detail in there aside from the stuff you see on the surface.

>> No.30220178

>>30197553
>none of them have this much writing put into them.
ZUN wrote history?

>> No.30265536

>>30220178
He means substance below the layer of having a goal.
If you dig deeper, you won't find much with some other series.

>> No.30265627

>>30220178
>series
games

>> No.30302736
File: 73 KB, 781x320, Hi Grandma!.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>29998619
Yorihime Watatsuki was based on Tamayori-hime, the mother of the first japanese emperor – Jimmu. That makes her an ancestor of the japanese royal family, including eg. Mutsuhito and Hirohito. Akihito can officialy call Yorihime "great great… great grandma" and call Toyohime his "great… auntie".

>> No.30306447

>>30219872
You probably need some expertise in Japanese/Chinese folklore and mythology to write a good Touhou game.

>> No.30341176

>>30306447
I guess.
I say it's the equivalent of everyone being well versed in Greek Mythology just going on how some always bring up Zeus or one of the Olympians. That's if they don't delve into the Titans.

>> No.30375227

>>30197553
Are you talking about Touhou fan games? Or bullet hells inspired by Touhou. If the former, it seems like the fandom likes to take the lore and run with it, adding hidden historical in jokes and such in fangames. If the latter, I guess I would agree.

>> No.30375273

>>30341176
So what you're saying is that 2hu and Rick Riordan's books fit together perfectly and need a crossover.

>> No.30375440

>>30375273
>2hu and Rick Riordan's books
hell no.
The way the Percy Jackson series is written is unique, but it could be applied to some elements of 2hu. "So and so, descendant of "this youkai""
I was agreeing by tying in Greek Mythology. Most people know more about western mythology than eastern mythology, but the premise is the same. A fair bit of knowledge is required to write something that anyone can take interest in if they decide to dig deeper into the characters and even events surrounding them.
You could say this person, the direct offspring of that goddess or youkai did that along with their friends on some quest to "save the world!" but it remains just that.

>> No.30375473

>>30375440
>but it remains just that.
if nothing more is done.

>> No.30396714

>>30302736
I guess.
It's a bit confusing because of the whole deal about Yorihime and Toyohime and who they married or had children with. It's still an interesting piece nonetheless

>> No.30418494

>>30220178
No, but he's great at adapting obscure references and old stories that are hard to find.
>>30375227
Both. Things like Len'en and many of the more well made Danmakufu games can have nice gameplay but when you look at their lore it's really superficial stuff, like simply using names of historical figures and calling it a day. Nothing wrong with that, but it just makes them feel a bit hollow.

>> No.30419671

>>30418494
>>30375440
But most of the stuff in these threads are just extrapolations by fans based on digging up old tales, not deep secret 2hu lore.

>> No.30432916

>>30375440
Eh, I was more thinking that Eastern Gods are a lot more casual than Western Gods. While Zeus and co. sit atop their ivory thrones on Mount Olympus separated from the rest of the world, Kanako would just be chilling in her shrine in Nagano, acting as her own Priestess to the normals or something. Gensokyo notwithstanding, the entirety of the Touhou cast could easily exist in the Percy Jackson setting. And even Gensokyo itself could be set up as a place like Camp Half Blood where it exists, but is warded against normals so they never find out about it. Im more thinking that it would be funny to have a story where Yukari finally gets fed up with other pantheons constantly fucking around with world ending threats and decides to send the usual suspects to deal with it personally.

>> No.30433774

>>30419671
I know.

>> No.30435070
File: 852 KB, 2150x3035, EVbhqRUU0AAANCR.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>30375440
Speaking of Greek Mythology, Hecatia is so fucking weird. Unlike most 2hus, she isn't really a 1:1 version of Hecate nor is much of the mythology revolving around Hecate used in the design of Hecatia. In Touhou, Hecatia is a goddess of the Hells of Earth, the Moon, and the Otherworlds, but her association with the Underworld doesn't extend that far in any of the myths or mysteries she is associated with. In Greek mythology, Hecatia has a fairly nebulous origin and her role in Greek society isn't exactly clear-cut either, though there is lots of evidence indicating what general roles she fulfilled in the eyes of the people of the city states throughout the millennia. According to Hesiod, she is one of the youngest Titans and the nurse of the Olympians and favored by her ancestors and gifted with the sky, the land, and the sea, which she was allowed to keep after the Titanomachy and given more by Zeus, along with the Lampades. However, according to other legends, Hecate is the daughter of Zeus or the cousin of Apollo and Artemis. In the Eleusinian Mysteries she is the younger sister of Persephone and a daughter of Demeter. She's served various roles as a liminal goddess, a miracle goddess, a goddess of magic, of death, and many other capacities yet most of these aren't really used or implied in Hecatia's design or role in Touhou. Though, it probably makes sense that Hecatia's design is more superficial compared to other 2hus because Hecate herself has never really been in the limelight compared to the gods of Olympus and mention of her is usually only in passing with any direct mention of her involves only secondary roles and nothing concrete.

TL;DR Hecatia is so fucking weird simply because the goddess she's based on is also really fucking weird. Fucking bitch appeared out of nowhere coming out of the Mycenaean Dark Ages and the only temples dedicated to her are in the lands of Anatolia.

Also there's her relevancy in Greek Gnosticism but I lost the book so I can't say much on the topic other than Hecatia being on the Moon is oddly fitting given her relation to it in Gnostic writings. Also I want to kiss all three of her and I'm sad that there's barely any art of Hecatia with dog ears and a tail wearing nothing but a leash and howling loudly at night.

>> No.30436142

>>30435070
That's an oddly specific fetish you have
I can't imagine any 2hu other than Kagerou would have any art like that

>> No.30436462
File: 1.54 MB, 2712x2970, 1583901525204.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>30436142
Petplay is really hot and Hecatia's already wearing a collar anyway. Plus the animal associated with her are black female dogs (and snakes and some other animals, but mainly black female dogs).

>> No.30437774

>>30436462
ah, that explains those hemo drawings

>> No.30438033
File: 499 KB, 800x600, 3b8e2b22d15f2fb2ca16560e4896d3e9.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>30437774
Hecate is also on friendly terms with Hades and she's one of the few people in Greek mythology who can travel to and from the land of the dead completely unmolested. In fact, she even guides restless souls and the undead to Hades on her nightly journeys. Closest approximation I can think of relating that to Hecatia would be the fact she has jurisdiction over the Hell-side of the post-life system created by the Ministry of Right and Wrong. I think the reason Hecatia dislikes the Ministry so much (aside from how bureaucratic and rigid it is) is because Hecatia is also closely associated with life (via child nursing, miracles, and her status as a goddess of the spaces between borders). Because she wishes to bring life to Hell, she's showcasing a bit of her Eleusinian Mysteries side by wanting to bring spring, Persephone, to Hell, Hades.

>> No.30454179

>>30435070
Her design is probably based on her still being widely worshipped by modern "witch" covens, unlike other olympians except poseidon (when i was in greece superstitious sailors used to pour one out)

>> No.30462970
File: 521 KB, 1412x2352, HecateSMT2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>30436462
>>30435070
Kaneko's old SMT design kind of took that into account by just tossing everything related to her into a blender.

>> No.30465792

>>30462970
Touhou x SMT crossover whan?

>> No.30466006
File: 386 KB, 850x1275, 1550818935668.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>30462970
That's kinda how some depictions of Hecate works, funny enough. She can either:
-have one body, one human head, typical of the earliest depictions of Hecate, with the Eleusinian Mysteries depiction of Hecate being a little girl
-have one body, three heads that are a combination of dog, horse, snake, boar, and cow
This form would usually be associated with Hecate whenever she's linked to monsters like Scylla and such, among other things as well as in Greek esoteric writings and magical literature
-have two bodies, each with one head, a rarer depiction of Hecate
IIRC it's only been in use in only a couple places
-have three bodies, each with one head, more
A common depiction of Hecate later in antiquity to the modern era
Having an animal form or head is also typical of Greek gods, but I think that's only applicable for certain periods of time or regions. People also associate frogs with Hecate nowadays because of Heqet, but Hecate and Heqet barely have anything to do with each other and it would be more common for Hecate to be syncretized with Isis than Heqet, if anything. Also, it's theorized that the Statue of Liberty is actually Hecate considering it shares a lot in common with various statues of the goddess. Most notably the pointed crown representing solar light, carrying a torch, and due to both Libertas and Hecate being linked to various bronze age Anatolian goddesses. Hecatia is just a very fun character probably because Hecate is so goddamn old and mysterious.

>> No.30498112

>>30465792
There's a 2hu x SMT rpg fangame, I haven't played it yet however.
In regards to this thread, there's quite a bit of popular 2hus that I don't hear much, if ever, from these types of threads. Touhou 15 characters are usually the main targets of the thread, especially Hecatia and Junko. Nowadays some Okina too.

Anyone know any interesting things from the Touhou 17 characters not many people know? Don't really know much about Haniyasu for instance.

>> No.30525454

>>30462970
>Kaneko
That was puzzling for a moment. I thought you mentioned "Kanako"
>design kind of took that into account by just tossing everything related to her into a blender.
I hate that more than anything else.

>> No.30547649

>>30525454
To be fair that's how some Touhou characters like Utsuho is designed, albeit with a bit more innovation in a way.

>> No.30547882

>>30000710
Apparently Okina was one. I can't remember much from the thread.

>> No.30569079

bump for interesting thread

>> No.30570756

Anything interesting about any of the fairies?

>> No.30570965

>>30570756
They're sexy

>> No.30576159

>>30570965
and dumb!

>> No.30581242

>>30570965
>>30576159
Based

>> No.30586010

>>30435070
Hecatia's design sticks out like a sore thumb compared to other Touhou characters. All the other characters look nice and modest with doll-like clothing designs and Hecatia looks like she just came back from a disco party

>> No.30586200

>>30581242
On what?

>> No.30590295
File: 350 KB, 1550x2048, ETBw5u8U4AU2c6O.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>30586010
Hecatia strikes me more punk than metal.

>> No.30599449 [DELETED] 

>>30000710
Those digits

>> No.30614406
File: 780 KB, 960x720, __kochiya_sanae_and_hecatia_lapislazuli_touhou_drawn_by_myaa_akumatokeiyaku__914a9c1b1348d05203567286ac0f5b55.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>30435070
tl;dr weird tee girl is weird

>> No.30652554

what else is there

>> No.30663410

So how many of these are intentional?

>> No.30679053

>>30663410
Most of these are way too convoluted to not be a reference.
ZUN is also a historyfag himself.

>> No.30679053,1 [INTERNAL] 

bump for interesting thread

>> No.30697866

>>30663410
how many breads have you eaten in your life?

>> No.30706390

>>30697866

>> No.30733198

>>30706390
Too accurate to not be a lie.
Be honest anon.

>> No.30750486

>>30570756
They aren't exactly based on Western concepts of the Fair Folk, rather "fairy" in 2hu is simply a translation of the Japanese word yōsei, which are obscure minor spirits. Sadly, my knowledge of yōsei is very lacking. All I know is that some of them live on Mt. Horai (as in, the place where Kaguya sent one of her suitors to search for the Jeweled Branch of Horai).

>> No.30750690

>>30570756
>>30750486
Oh, and also: while Gensokyo's fairies are indeed yōsei, Clownpiece is instead a lampad, which in Greek mythology are nymphs that live in the Underworld and are associated with Hecate. According to Wikipedia
>Companions of Hecate, the Greek goddess of witchcraft and crossroads, they were a gift from Zeus for Hecate's loyalty in the Titanomachy. They bear torches and accompany Hecate on her night-time travels and hauntings. Some accounts tell of how the light of the Lampads' torches has the power to drive one to madness.
>The Lampads were probably the daughters of various Underworld gods, Daimones, river gods, or Nyx.

>> No.30753181

>>30750486
>>30750690
Interesting. The more you know.

>> No.30777515

Thanks. This is a great thread!

>> No.30780834

>>30432916
Manipulating the borders which separate distinct historic religions now, I see.

>> No.30796860

bump

>> No.30799515

>>30570756
There's that Eternity being based on some bug god that Okina defeated the cult of thing. Fairies otherwise seem to be fairies in the contemporary western and/or otaku sense. There's probably some reason ZUN made them universally nature spirits/representations of life force though. Most likely just a play on the sei part of yousei.

I'm curious about why they are tricksters. Whether it's from a western concept of fairies leading people astray or messing with them or something Japanese.

There was an interesting part near the end of the last manga where they made a crop circle fairy ring kind of thing so they could hold an official fairy meeting.

>> No.30823930

>>30750486
>>30753181
>>30750690
I need to find it, but there's something in the raw of Seieki ni Muragari Suitsuku Yousei-tachi that brought up the conversation about them preying on the essence of man.
Excuse the secondary work but I found it interesting. I'll have to find the thread.

>> No.30824701
File: 170 KB, 3203x613, Taoist Sex.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>29998619
Trivia: The correct way to have sex in Taoism is by edgeing in sperm retention.

>> No.30844892
File: 765 KB, 2548x4096, miko necosama830 5.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>30824701
no wonder miko is so cute if she was bathing her brain in cum when she was a man

>> No.30848791

>>30823930
It's just the typical fantasy world interpretation of 精気 as 精液 since the 精 part itself can mean semen. It's not particular to that manga.

>> No.30850229

Didn't someone make this into a fan character

>> No.30890623

>>30848791
I meant the interpretation, not that it was specific to that one work.

>> No.30891002

>>30824701
Nice. You gotta edge for like an hour if you want to have a really big, earthshattering nut. That'll leave you dissociating and drooling for 30 seconds afterwards and you feel like a champ for the rest of the night, not one where you nut and 2 seconds later you're like "huh, that was nice".

>> No.30920482

>>30850229
no

>> No.30920537

>>30891002
>Nice. You gotta edge for like an hour
never edged
never happend

>> No.30946782

>>30824701
Interesting

>> No.30991022

>>30920537
But I do this every day?

>> No.30993337

>>30586010
It's definitely deliberate at least, ZUN hasn't made it a mystery that Hecatia is a foreign god.

>> No.31034431
File: 397 KB, 1280x1821, 1514831127360.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I like this thread

>> No.31057733

>>31034431
Why do seiga use fetuses for her bullets? is that a taoist thing?

>> No.31058774

>>30991022
Where do you find the time?

>> No.31085522

>>31058774
>Where do you find the time?
this entire year anon.

>> No.31088559
File: 1.58 MB, 2000x2200, 1605891423707.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

So is her whole design just a reference to the american flags on the moon

>> No.31089513
File: 898 KB, 1280x1280, 8f62be7b4da76f902da58efff53aa945.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Not religious lore, but I always figured there was a connection between this song and Hong's theme. Particularly since ZUN mentioned it was "inspired by the French concession in Shanghai".
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKW6eqlPcBY
I've also heard people say this track sounds like Cirno's theme, but I don't really hear it.
https://youtu.be/2T7TXVtGGFc

>> No.31093126

>>31089513
a lot of touhou seems to have YMO inspirations, from what I've seen

>> No.31093464

>>31088559
Yes.

>> No.31095986

>>31088559
only the flag part.

>> No.31098591

bump

>> No.31099862

>>30101100
>The Princess that Shinmyoumaru sworn to protect in the past, only to get murdered accidentally by Seija.
Where did you get this from?

>> No.31100836

>>31089513
You're not the only one.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tl7P1ytFkVY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLxUeOxRkP0
>>31093126
It's amazing how little YMO style Touhou music there is.

>> No.31104649

>>30100785
Echoing this anon, I remember this really good post about Medicine. It's up on Warosu, but I can't find it right now.

>> No.31106889
File: 478 KB, 848x1000, 1585306967604.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Anti-spam bump

>> No.31108731
File: 2.82 MB, 1191x1684, 1589926754094.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

So when are we taking down the incest bitches?

>> No.31111332

is this board being raided? big chunks of catalog are filtered and unusually fast

>> No.31111393

>>31111332
where were you in the past couple of hours? mod's aren't deleting the nongeneral h***live threads, and they're taking this opporitunity to attempt some sort of take over

>> No.31111466

>>31111393
fucking give them a /chink/ board or something, fucking normalfag niggercattle

>> No.31115677

>>31111466
exactly what i've been thinking.

>> No.31120989

>>31111332
Yes, no idea how long it will last.

>> No.31122790

>>31111332
Merry Christmas!

>> No.31124153
File: 678 KB, 955x1351, __alice_margatroid_and_shanghai_doll_touhou_drawn_by_shiseki_hirame__4363373a044ab645de60e4401ef11291.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>31089513
>I've also heard people say this track sounds like Cirno's theme, but I don't really hear it.
I've heard it compared to History of the Moon. Shangai could also be a reference to Femme Chinoise as well from these lyrics:
>Junk sails on the yellow sea
>For Suzie Wong and Shangai Doll

>> No.31127491

>>31088559
>whole design
I didn't read clearly the first time.
The flag part was merely a decision of hers since it triggered Lunarian PTSD. They hate things from Earth because they believe Earth is impure, despite being descendants of Earth themselves.

>> No.31131142

>>31127491
lunarians are hypocritical dickheads

>> No.31132254

>>31131142
They're smart and technologically advanced, but hey. No-one said they were "smart" smart.

>> No.31138411
File: 3.21 MB, 2300x3253, bafe385356617aab20678b971e661eb7.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>31124153
Never noticed that. That's really interesting. I don't know how much ZUN has talked about his musical influences, but I get the impression that YMO, in addition to Ryuichi Sakamoto and Joe Hisaishi's melodic scores, inspired his style quite a lot.

>> No.31140527

>>31138411
I can clearly see that, YMO and it's member's work were highly influential to japanese music both during the 80s and what came afterwards. YMO's earlier work feels very similar to ZUN's earlier work, both with an east meet west focus on their music, their upbeat rythms and their instrumentation is very similar, the melody in tong poo could pass a ZUNpet.
Speaking of, there's also another song that could be an inspiration of YMO for ZUN, Rydeen has a big similarity to Strange Oriental Discourse.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wlp7WLGJZ9E
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nv5jMLJQ9f4

>> No.31146014

>>31111332
Sadly

>> No.31146022

saving this thread

>> No.31146550

I'm very surprised my thread is still alive despite the holoraid.
Guess there's some hope for the board after all.

Also, if you didn't know, Shion and Joon are actually mainly inspired not by any specific character (at least that we know of). Instead, their main inspiration is the economic bubble of Japan of the 1980 and 90's.
It's pretty unique, not a lot of characters even in Touhou are based on events instead of a character, figure, or concept. I can only think of Okuu with Chernobyl, but that's not her main inspiration.

>> No.31146652

>>31088559
There's a decent chance its actually a reference to the conspiracy that Hecate is supposed to be Statue of Liberty, instead of Libertas.
Piece is supposed to be a lampad, Hecate's minions that have torches that make people insane. Piece being a stand-in for the statue of liberty would make sense.

>> No.31148921

>>31146550
Please explain further, I know next to nothing of japanese economics.

>> No.31149269

>>31148921
>I know next to nothing of japanese economics.
Just know from WWII, Japs were forced into corporate-style work that forced them to come up with ideas and other innovations. That kind of stuff led to a booming economy for a few years until it stagnated.
Japan is ahead financially than the rest of the world since they faced some issues way in the past that are just now an issue on the global stage.

>> No.31153673
File: 831 KB, 1060x1560, 17848087_p0.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Bump for a good thread.

>> No.31159189

>>31153673
appreciated

>> No.31165871

>>31148921
Basically there was a time in the 80's where money was good because of what the other anon said.
However, when the bubble burst, because of how egregious were people on spending their money suddenly people were forced into bankruptcy and poverty in the 90's.
Joon is the first half, Shion is the second half.
>>31104649
I don't think I've ever seen this post. I'll try to find it when possible.

>> No.31166849

>>30663410
>The Touhou Project (Japanese: 東方Project, Hepburn: Tōhō Purojekuto), also known simply as Touhou (東方, literally "Eastern" or "Oriental")
i dunno you telling me

>> No.31166908

>>31165871
>>/jp/thread/S20287443#p20339447
I think this is it, a really interesting and thorough series of posts from anon.

>> No.31174236

>>31146550
>I can only think of Okuu with Chernobyl
Thanks for reminding me that Okuu's cast leg is supposed to be the Elephant's foot.

>> No.31176426

>>31166908
Goddamn, that's fucking long. And I thought I was autistic.

>> No.31182426

>>31166908
has this man never heard of paragraphs

>> No.31182565
File: 3.22 MB, 2560x2660, a nuclear bird with three legs and an elephants foot.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.31186990

>>31182565
Look like a fairy took Okuu nuclear rod gun to me.

>> No.31192261

Bump

>> No.31196953

>>31186990
A humanoid dinosaur holding a club for me.

>> No.31201201

>>31174236
Her other appendages are also references to other things. I believe all three of them are supposed to be the three different parts of Nuclear Physics, being fission, fusion, and decay. This also connects to her being the Yatagarasu, the three legged crow.

>> No.31202138

Everyone might already know this, but I only found out recently:
Apparently Eika's massive earlobes are a reference to Ebisu; one of the Seven Lucky Gods. While this is hardly obscure as her last name is literally 'Ebisu', it's the result of the conflation of Ebisu (a God of fishing) with Hiruko (the child of Izanami and Izanagi who was born deformed and washed into the ocean).
Also, because Hiruko and the Haniyasu (Gods of earth/clay) share the same parents, she has a kind of sibling connection to Keiki. Her title 'Stillborn *idol* of the riverbed' is a deliberate reference to Keiki's idol creation.

>> No.31205540

>>31202138
Poor Eika. She really is unpopular too and is mostly forgotten.

>> No.31210918

>>31186990
>>31196953
its the background of okuus spell cards, the eta carinae nebula
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carina_Nebula

>> No.31217719
File: 1.82 MB, 1000x1713, 1424312209865.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I won't let this thread die!

>> No.31218533

>>31205540
It's a shame. She has a good theme and is very bully-able.

>> No.31225904
File: 1.17 MB, 1822x2100, 1471712554795.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

bumpan

>> No.31233308
File: 170 KB, 1280x720, 1585043641567.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>29998619
So any myths related to oil?

>> No.31243291
File: 818 KB, 838x556, file.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

How does seiga know about christmas?

>> No.31244510

>>31243291
It probably became known about through humans or youkai from the outside world.

>> No.31244688

>>31233308
What kind of oil? You mean like oil from Middle East? Oil you lubricate pornstars? Palm oil?

>> No.31255986

>>31244688
Dude, oil has had a significant meaning in the East Asian quarters for many many years. Ranging from commercial use like fires at a festival or even other things for spiritual use.

>> No.31261724
File: 1.16 MB, 1600x900, 1601586816678.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

bump

>> No.31263241

>>31261724
"the floor is lava"

>> No.31269472
File: 645 KB, 1920x1200, 1419658956170.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Bump

>> No.31272111
File: 305 KB, 600x888, 55c3c602b57542090a50b91d83b5c44d.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.31281342

>>31272111
Is that ZUN in the back?

>> No.31283729

>>31281342
Yes, he's Reimu's father.

>> No.31290386

>>31283729
I thought he was the head priest

>> No.31297613

>>31290386
what do you mean

>> No.31301776

>>31111332
it doesn't end.

>> No.31306037
File: 86 KB, 500x391, cat.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>31201201
There is also a cat picture in the background which probably refers to the stray cats of Pripyat.

Also Yatagarasu may not be the only thing her design refers to but there is also a urban myth about black bird of Chernobyl in the vein of the Mothman myth.

>> No.31307153

>>31272111
Youmu in her bloomers...

>> No.31315410

>>31306037
>the stray cats of Pripyat.
I'm not aware of that.

>> No.31326249

>>31272111
What about them?

>> No.31331321

>>31315410
Basically when Chernobyl happened, people abandoned the site. When Chernobyl was finally stable enough to enter for humans once again, they found out a bunch of radioactive cats suddenly took over the town of Pripyat.

>> No.31339645

>>31297613
its his title

>> No.31349251

bump

>> No.31349618

>>31331321
Its also probably why ZUN went with the whole Rin as a catgirl being BFF's with Utsuho.

>> No.31354558
File: 214 KB, 850x1116, 1502229102050.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Bump

>> No.31354812

>>31306037
I always assumed it was a Schrodinger's Cat ref, given its connection to radioactive decay. Especially with how popular and not-yet-uncool that concept was in Japan c. 2008~

>> No.31358898

>>31354558
Eirin's so hot holy shit

>> No.31365105
File: 601 KB, 1728x972, 1574477030232.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>31358898
def one of the most attractive hus

>> No.31373378

>>31358898
Welcome to P-Cup saggerland

>> No.31382167

>>31108731
They've been getting their shit kicked in for a while.
Kaguya being banished with the smartest person they had leaving with her, the moon landing, then LoLK, not to mention Yuyuko infiltrating and not being caught in the Lunar Empire.
They suspected nothing. Pure incompetency on their part.

>> No.31382368

>>31099862
I think it's the combination tale of Issun-Boshi and Urikohime. Issun-Boshi (the basis of Shinmyoumaru) protects the princess from Oni.

>> No.31382417

>>31272111
sauce?

>> No.31390770

>>31382417
azuki osamitsu

>> No.31397514

>>31382167
This makes me get even more as to when ZUN compared the lunarians with the chinese. Will we see them fall anytime just like the Ming did?

>> No.31403104

bump

>> No.31406593
File: 84 KB, 1125x763, b2e6b84142eb3b0c2ae477c0a594d629.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>30850229
>>30920482
There was a Windows 2hu.

>> No.31406776 [DELETED] 

I can't really accept what's happening on this board anymore. Those hollow-lifers just shit up everything. Sometimes I look at their thread, or even post something just to make them angry as a 'punishment'but it's worthless if I'm alone. I suggest to ruin their fun as much as we can, the board couldn't be worse than this anyway and maybe they would finally go away.

>> No.31408831

>>31131142
I think the most amusing thing is that the CDs imply the Lunarians eventually lost their immortality anyway through their external sins eventually kicking up a retaliation from one of the many parties they wronged.
Their current state is correct to the letter of purity, but not the intent.

>> No.31414332

bump

>> No.31419720 [DELETED] 

>>31406776
true, don't wanna complain here, but the shit the hollow pockets are bringing here just makes it terrible, look at that "among us" post up right now, and see what type of people they bring in

>> No.31419754 [DELETED] 

>>31406776
true, don't wanna complain here, but the shit the hollow pockets are bringing here just makes it terrible, look at that "among us" post up right now, and you'll see why i find this all so annoying

>> No.31423487 [DELETED] 

>>31406776
Daily reminder that Holofags are cringe and majority of them migrated from Reddit and Twitter, two of the most horrible mainstream media

>> No.31425943

>>31408831
>kicking up a retaliation from one of the many parties they wronged.
NASA nukes Lunar Capital from orbit.

>> No.31426914 [DELETED] 
File: 609 KB, 800x714, 1608917865999.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>31406776
someone is upset

>> No.31426932 [DELETED] 
File: 81 KB, 288x254, 1590636762893.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>31406776
>calling for a raid
the holo threads are already so fucking shit that nothing you 2hucucks try to do with make it any worse than it already is
unless you can outdo the old gore spammer and the one anti-holostarfag that spammed so much actual gay porn that he got indonesia rangebanned

>> No.31426961 [DELETED] 
File: 429 KB, 542x572, 1603194361909.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>31406776
HOLOLIVE HIJACK LOL

>> No.31426975
File: 223 KB, 505x323, 1501977613239.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Let's not turn this thread into a meta thread!

>> No.31426979 [DELETED] 
File: 1.15 MB, 230x326, pekodab.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.31427170

>>31426961
Based

>> No.31427199 [DELETED] 

>>31406776
>I suggest to ruin their fun as much as we can
I know these fanbase wars are completely forced so no, fuck you.

>> No.31427213 [DELETED] 

>>31406776
You never went into the hololive threads have you?
Sorry but you'd shitposting on them to make us leave wont achieve your goal because hololive threads are already full of shitposting narrative posting and fucking chinks falseflagging

>> No.31427316 [DELETED] 

>>31406776
Shitting up those threads doesn't actually stop the shitposters that are responsible for the debacle. In fact you make it better for them.

>> No.31427363 [DELETED] 

>>31406776
seething faggot

>> No.31427422 [DELETED] 

>>31406776
>Sometimes I look at their thread
No you don't. If you think you and like 3 other people can make that thread any worse than it already is. You got something else coming.

>> No.31440414

>>31406593
Keiga Higashikata, Gensokyo's monotheistic deity.

>> No.31446157

>>31406593
If this is all windows, then what is OP? PoFV? PCB? >>29998619

>> No.31446349

>>31406593
how is average is the same as prime?

>> No.31446696

>>31446157
PC-98

>> No.31451951

>>31446157
the PC98 2hus

>> No.31458647

bump

>> No.31458649

>>31406593
She looks like the mystery third Sealing Club member.

>> No.31465515

bump again haha

>> No.31467582

>>31406593
Imagine how abstract her theme would be.

>> No.31475206
File: 78 KB, 276x325, iu.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>31406593
The 1hu.

>> No.31486092

>>31406593
What the fuck are meme points?

>> No.31493691

If you didn't know, the OP image are the PC-98hus averaged into one image.

>> No.31496794

>>31493691
... Merriberri?

>> No.31503119

bump

>> No.31510431

>>31493691
I noticed from the eyes.
Also, for some reason I thought you said shithus. I had to reread your post.

>> No.31518702

>>31440414
>Gensokyo's monotheistic deity.
I thought that was ZUN

>>
Name
Subject
Comment
Action