[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/jp/ - Otaku Culture

View post   

File: 177 KB, 470x345, 001_small[1].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2982256 No.2982256 [Reply] [Original]

So, if Rei happens after Kai's last arc, why is it that:

-Hanyuu is a ghost again
-Takano is in the pool and not in a mental institution
-Satoshi isn't around

>> No.2982274

The second one is the only legit question

>> No.2982271

Rei is based off the fandisc, who cares about it.

>> No.2982276

fanservice

>> No.2982286

I can't tell if the OP is serious or not. The Hanyuu thing is sort of a legitimate question, but the others threw me off.

>> No.2982293

BECAUSE EVERYTHING IS ABSOLUTELY LINEAR.

>> No.2982301

jesus christ, why all the sage?

I am not a fucking troll, seriously /jp/, I just haven't played the VNs, that's why I don't understand many things

>> No.2982307

- Hanyuu showed herself to K1's dad at one point, so it's assumed that she can change forms at will.
- That was a joke episode. They did go to the pool, but none of that happened.
- Coma

>> No.2982312

First arc of Rei is slapstick. It's not meant to be taken seriously.

Hanyuu is in her ghost form in the second because she wants to. She change forms freely.

Satoshi isn't around because he's still in the coma.

>> No.2982325

>>2982307
>>2982312
Ok, THANKS

now this is how people should react to a simple question, not saging their asses off

also, who's that Bernkastel Rika mentioned during her inner monologue? I know it's a character from Umineko, but what relation does she have with Higurashi?

>> No.2982337

>why all the sage
>I am not a fucking troll

wwwwwwww

>> No.2982343

>>2982307
>Hanyuu showed herself to K1's dad at one point
Kinky.

>> No.2982350

>>2982337
>wwwwwwww

Fucking weeaboo

>> No.2982365

>>2982350
wwwwwwww

>> No.2982368

>>2982325
Bernkastel is the accumulation of memories from all the Rikas that have died over the past century that have become self-aware, as she says at the start of Minagoroshi-hen. Presumably Bernkastel was created when the amount of Rika's memories that Hanyuu deposited in the dimension with the fragments reached a critical mass. The scenario for a death of Rika's mind described by Bernkastel is probably what would happen if that accumulation of memories became too great to be housed in a human being.

What presumably happens when "Rika" arrives in a new world is that a copy of Bernkastel's memories replaces the existing Rika's memories (Rika can't recall anything from before she was playing her friends in Minagoroshi-hen or from before she was hit with a ball in Saikoroshi-hen). We can't be sure that she retains all of Bernkastel's memories, since in Saikoroshi-hen Hanyuu explains to Rika that the worlds appear as fragments in the realm of the gods and how they traveled between worlds by joining these fragments, which Bernkastel must have already known since she can manipulate them (but Hanyuu could be reiterating something Rika knew). Also, Bernkastel is aware of what happened in Minagoroshi-hen at the start of Matsuribayashi-hen, but the Rika in the world of Matsuribayashi-hen lacks that information (but that may be simply be an anomaly due to Hanyuu's powers failing).

>> No.2982373

However, the fact that Rika is aware that a version of herself exists in a higher dimension, that she says she isn't Rika when she's speaking to Rena in Tsumihoboroshi-hen (Bernkastel feels that way to an extent) and that she gives herself the name Bernkastel when inhabiting Rika's body in Saikoroshi-hen to distinguish herself from the original Rika indicates that the Rikas of the various worlds possess at least some of Bernkastel's memories. Conversely, in Minagoroshi-hen Bernkastel says that she only has the memories that Rika obtained from the various worlds, that she was born in the human world and refers to herself as Rika at one point. Based on that, as well as all the things she says in the tea parties in Umineko which make it clear she was born from the events in Higurashi, we can assume that Bernkastel views herself as an being that's a continuation of Rika rather than a completely separate entity, which supports a close connection between them.

When Rika dies, Hanyuu sends the memories from that world to join the accumulation of memories in that higher dimension and thus become part of Bernkastel. This would explain why Bernkastel retains the name that "Rika" came up with in Saikoroshi-hen and why the Rika in the world at the end of Saikoroshi-hen says that the version of her in the higher dimension no longer matters, since her memories won't be joining it when she dies.

So in conclusion, a copy of Bernkastel's memories and personality replace Rika's mind and then the experiences of that copy merge with Bernkastel when the Rika of that world dies. Bernkastel neither created Rika nor is she really a separate entity (since 'Rika' is simply Bernkastel's mind in a human body) until they diverge at the end of Saikoroshi-hen.

>> No.2982392

>>2982373
>>2982368
Damn
Thanks, mate

And how are we, the ones who only watched the anime and ovas, are supposed to know all that? Shouldn't they have explained it in the ovas instead of just making an extremely obscure reference?

>> No.2982404

>>2982392
It would have taken forever to explain it. It's understandable that they had to leave it out.

>> No.2982406

>>2982301
That's a stupid thing to say. If you know the basics about how anime and VNs work you should have had answers.

>> No.2982430

>>2982404
But it's very important information! It's like they didn't explain you what the Force is in Star Wars!

>> No.2982455

>>2982368
>>2982373
If after this people still question the likelihood of bern and rika being related then I'll know that true retards exist on this plane of existence.

>> No.2982473

>>2982455
Who argues against it? The question is whether the Bernkastel in Higurashi and the Bernkastel in Umineko are the same.

>> No.2982477

>>2982406
I didn't play the higurashi game but I pretty much came to the same conclusions through wiki and inductive reasoning.

>> No.2982540

>>2982473
You'd be very very very surprised at people who refuse to knowledge that.

>> No.2982629
File: 199 KB, 800x600, 003.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

UMINEKO TIP SPOILERS FOR BERNKASTEL AND LAMBDADELTA THAT I'M NOT MARKING CAUSE OF COPYPASTA. Enjoy

Lambdadelta mentions coming across Takano in an Umineko tip. With that, the game between Lambdadelta and Rika was set into motion. Lambdadelta may or may not have been an active player in the game, but by starting the game in speaking with Takano, she thrust the certain fate that she would be killed on Rika. Because of the power to replay the game and keep her memories, Rika was able to fight back. The collective consciousness of having lived through the game so long made her think of herself as a higher being.

>> No.2982635
File: 157 KB, 800x611, 011.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2982629
When you reach this understanding, it is said you are on the level of a witch. Rika realized this and continually thought of herself as such, but she could not find a way to end her suffering and would become lethargic and depressed, indulging in alcohol. In Higurashi Rei, Rika comes to the realization that, because there was another Rika living in the body she's using now, the other Rika is the true Rika. When later drinking in her room, she ponders this more and comes to the conclusion that she as a witch that has lived so many years has no right to use the name Furude Rika. She thinks that she may as well become the wine that she has so much indulged in to forget her suffering, which leads her to coin herself Bernkastel, which is what was on the bottle. "FURUDERIKA ... Bernkastel." I believe is how it was written in the novel. This is where Frederica comes from. Later in the story, after being lectured by Hanyuu and reaching an understanding, she sees no need to continue playing the witch anymore and lets the name go. Hanyuu then mentions she has a new friend to play with, and Rika doesn't understand. This is considered to be the point in time that Bernkastel reached the world of witches. The Umineko tip, Bern's Letter, seems to be written to a beloved friend who it would be troubling to have respond. I believe this is Hanyuu, and Bern is definitely the new friend she spoke of.

I believe this explains everything related to Bernkastel.

>> No.2982639

What they should have done with the Bernkastel was to not use that name at all. They didn't have the space to explain it properly (since god knows we just had to see all those episodes of peaceful protesting back in Kai) so the next best thing is to not mention it at all. Throwing an offhand reference to it at the last minute only served to confuse viewers who have not read the VN (= most of them).

>> No.2982658

>>2982635

But where does the tail come from?

>> No.2982660

>>2982658

HER ASS

>> No.2982670
File: 95 KB, 1264x861, bernkastel_explained.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.2982672

>>2982639
or atleast =most of them in America.

If we get a good translation of all the novels in English plus Umineko from Witch Hunt, it wouldn't be so hard to figure out.

I agree that it should have been left out of the anime though. I guess they just now realized "OWAIT UMINEKO SHOWS BERN AND WE DIDN'T EVEN ALLUDE TO HER YET HERP DERP"

>> No.2982675

>>2982658
Rika goes nekomimi modo pretty often, and likes to say mii which is the equivalent of meowing. I guess Bern wanted to maintain a connection with that.

>> No.2982702
File: 839 KB, 2000x1800, 06.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2982675
This.

and it still makes me sad.
I want her tail to be attached through her awesome magic. ;_;

>> No.2982737

>>2982301
Sage doesn't mean anything.
It is not used as an insult.
Why would they want to bump your thread when they cant give you answer?

>>
Name
Subject
Comment
Action