[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/jp/ - Otaku Culture

View post   

File: 72 KB, 531x709, Rei_Ayanami_Garage_Kit_by_Bluudy.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2892771 No.2892771 [Reply] [Original]

I really wanna try a garage kit, but I'm a little scared? Has anyone here done one? How hard are they? Are there any good guides about?

>> No.2892977

They do take quite a bit of work and a decent eye for this sort of thing, I'd recommend starting out with a simple kit with a small number of pieces.

Once you get the hang of it I think they're a lot more fun then buying pvc models, more choices and cheaper in the long run but you WILL have to invest a decent amount of money until then on sanding supplies, glues, paints and if you want your paint jobs to be really good airbrushing can be a wee bit expensive but provide much better results.

Be prepared for a lot of work and it's a fun hobby to get into.

>> No.2893689
File: 574 KB, 2448x3264, miu.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2892977
everything they said.

also: buy an airbrush. a good one (brush + compressor) will cost you $300+ USD, but the quality vs. a standard brush is so much better there's no comparison.

only get into this if you're willing to invest an insane amount of time and a lot of money (initially).

If you like art and already have experience with color/paint/airbrushing, then this is a no-brainer. if you're like me, you'll end up with a 200+ hour paint job (like the pic) that's mediocre at best, took forever, and cost you aaround $30 in paint because you had to completely re-do it like 3 times.

>> No.2893716

>>2893689
Say Anonymous, that looks pretty cool. The only area that appears spotty is the eye region, but that might just be due to the room's lighting.

>> No.2893721
File: 141 KB, 600x800, 05.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Start off with something that isn't really detailed or has a million parts and you should be fine even without previous experience, but don't expect it to look perfect. It also takes a lot of money at the beginning because it's best to buy good tools (especially if you want to continue).

For guides and help I'd suggest you go sites like Hobbyfanatics, GKJapan and the E2046 forums.

>> No.2893722

Garage kits are a blast, but they're certainly no Gunpla.

They're pretty challenging.

>> No.2896169

>>2893716
Thanks! The eyes are pretty jacked up, though. It's insanely difficult to put paint on with a brush and have it come out smooth (even with retarder). I think I probably need to just coat both eyes with some clear gloss, which should smooth things out, but I'm afraid of the gloss "melting" the paint and starting to mix with it when I apply it, so I haven't tried yet.

>> No.2896225

You guys really tempt me to try this stuff out when you make these threads. Can you buy garage kits form the same place you get figs? I think I might break down and try it out.

>> No.2896273

>>2896225
www.e2046.com

kits are usually ~$30-50 USD, but you're really going to need an initial investment of a few hundred for equipment and supplies (airbrush+compressor, paints/thinner/retarder/primer, files, sandpaper, hobby knives, etc).

I HIGHLY recommend Gunze Mr. Color paints. I get paint at www.luckymodel.com - they're fairly cheap, and actually carry Gunze products.

>> No.2896948

>>2896273
It's good having an artist for an uncle, I have access to the most expensive supplies. I'll be giving this a try sometime soon, thanks for the help

>>
Name
Subject
Comment
Action