[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/jp/ - Otaku Culture

View post   

File: 121 KB, 450x425, 1244933155566.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2873197 No.2873197 [Reply] [Original]

Serious question here. When do you see yourself outgrowing Touhou or VNs? At what point in you life do you see yourself letting it go?

>> No.2873202

I don't enjoy those anymore, but I never see myself moving one.

>> No.2873207

Maybe after college. If I get a job I don't think I'll have enough time to do any of those.

>> No.2873208

since I'm not a NEET or other form of basement dweller, I see no reason to 'grow out of' some of my hobbies. But then, I also don't play dating sims or keep massive folders of touhou doujins.

>> No.2873214

>>2873197
You should never outgrow something you enjoy.

People say "outgrow," but they really mean "give up on what you consider fun and start doing repetitive shit everyday that you will never enjoy but for some reason it's necessary for you to be a complete human being."

It's not necessary, for the most part, it just interconnects and gives other people power over you.

>> No.2873216

when I beat them all in every difficulty mode and ZUn stops making new ones.

>> No.2873218

I don't think it'll be all that hard to stop regularly playing those or indulging in /jp/. I have a ton of VN's downloaded from hongfire but only really played the ones translated in English. I play touhou on those danmaku threads. I do have 20 gigs of touhou doujins and a shitload of touhou remixes but at the same time I have a life outside of /jp/(yes...some of us can balance). I still hang out with normalfag friends as well as some bros I can chill at a cafe over a cup of coffee and talk about Touhou and animu shit. So I would assume when I'm too busy for /jp/ related stuff I'll probably move on and just come back to it periodically as a hobby.

>> No.2873223

Not any time soon. I still enjoy playing on easy mode. Also, some of the fan-made games are fun, like PatchCon.

>> No.2873226

I'll probably get bored with it more than grow out of it.
I have a problem of moving from one obsession to another.

>> No.2873227

>>2873208
>>2873207

Here we go again, pseudo-intellectuals and normalfaggots attempting to lord over the rest of /jp/. If you can't learn to keep your mouths shut and not attempt to prove your imagined superiority to the rest of us by constantly mentioning it, you need to get out of /jp/.

Mentioning that you have a job, girlfriend or social life should be a bannable offense on this board.

>> No.2873228

I've had what are essentially the same hobbies my entire life, so never.

Also, >>2873214

>> No.2873238

I think I'll still play them as a hobby on the weekend if I get too busy to browse /jp/ everyday. But then again I browse /jp/ at work so I might never drop it.

>> No.2873247

I don't really see any reason to. When my attention drops, I just cycle onto something else for a while. Keeps things fresh.

>> No.2873251

>>2873227
>HERP DERP you must be trolling because you're not a hikki. leave us in peace, baaaaaaawwwww.

ransmirk.jpg

>> No.2873252

>>2873197
I see myself 'getting tired of it' someday. But outgrowing? You sound like you're talking about dolls or pacifiers.

They're hobbies: nothing more, nothing less.

>> No.2873253

I'm into anime, manga, games and japanese stuff since 13. I'm 21 now. It's too late for me.
So, the answer is never.

>> No.2873256

Serious question here. When do you see your penis outgrowing you? At what point in you life do you see yourself letting it go?

>> No.2873257

Probably never. What else will I do in the future?

>> No.2873258

I think I'll spend less time on VN's in the future but I wouldn't just stop playing them. Fuck I love playing them.

>> No.2873259

"Outgrow" is a weird term. Seems to imply something about maturity. I might get bored of it, sure, but not outgrow it. I don't even see myself getting bored if ZUN keeps making games.

>> No.2873271

>>2873252
Dolls are fine as well. They're extremely customizable and in a way, it's better than burning your money with things like Magic (and other TCGs) since its usefulness is pretty constant.

>> No.2873278

I expect to grow out of VNs when I've read enough of them to become sick of their tropes and conventions. That may or may not actually happen. Perhaps the style is evolving, but faster than the translations have been keeping up with. Maybe the translation market will die or eroge market will be suffocated before I even get the chance to tire of it.

I won't ever get sick of escapism in general.

>> No.2873321
File: 53 KB, 513x599, anime expert.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

You should never outgrow something you enjoy.

People say "outgrow," but they really mean "give up on what you consider fun and start doing repetitive shit everyday that you will never enjoy but for some reason it's necessary for you to be a complete human being."

It's not necessary, for the most part, it just interconnects and gives other people power over you.

>> No.2873332

>>2873223
Somewhat the same here; I'm not really planning to start heavily playing other Touhous until I can 1cc PCB on lunatic, so I figure I have huge amounts of enjoyable Touhou playtime left. It will be interesting to see if/when I get bored with it, though; I've sort of stopped watching anime while still having a queue of things I wanted to watch.

>> No.2873347
File: 425 KB, 1094x1287, ranjizzedinherpants.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2873251
>>ransmirk.jpg

>> No.2873364

>>2873321
Some people, like yourself, should just commit suicide.

>> No.2873382

>>2873364
can you fucking stop telling other people to kill themselves?

>> No.2873471

Yea, like already said, I think the concept of "outgrowing" something you enjoy is ridiculous. This is just letting society decide for you what's "right" for you to like.

I hope that I never get to the point where I can't enjoy something simply because some idiots tell me that I'm "too old" to enjoy it...at least not again. I'm sure I was like that when I was twelve year old, when I would only do mature things for mature people such as myself.

Getting tired of something is another thing. You'll get tired of something eventually if you do it every single day. But it's not like I stop liking it or it's permanent for me. I just focus on something else that I like for awhile. I'm constantly cycling between hobbies.

>> No.2873475

>>2873382
Don't tell me to stop giving people good advice.

>> No.2873487
File: 22 KB, 757x1100, yotsubato_v01_c05_p29.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Over the past 15 years the love for my hobbies has only gotten stronger. Growing out is just another way to say giving up on them, and I see no reason to do so. You have to remember the love, /jp/

>> No.2873491

Yeah, I should really stop reading VNs. I guess I should also stop reading books and playing/listening to music because those are also childish things to do.

OP, did you really think this one through?

>> No.2873493

Since we're all morbidly obese, unemployed manchildren without futures here, I can safely say that we'll never abandon our hobbies.

>> No.2873526

>>2873471

Well I think because VN's and touhou shit suck up so much time, you really do have to give up on it if you want a wife and a steady job. Maybe you can manage your time and have either of them with your /jp/ hobbies but certainly not both. I hear how there are anons that have 9-5 jobs that still have time for /jp/ but they certainly aren't trying to go for a wife.

>> No.2873557

the moment I pull the trigger.

>> No.2873565

>>2873214
What White Ren said. Why should i quit something that i enjoy.

Or when i can beat all the Touhou games at Lunatic

>> No.2873568

>>2873526

Yeah, one playthrough of EoSD sure does take longer than maybe 20 or 30 minutes

what

>> No.2873584

>>2873568

Touhou includes doujins and all the fandom shit. I doubt anyone JUST plays the games.

>> No.2873612

>>2873584

That's still maybe ten extra minutes of beating off every day or two, and I'd be doing that with Touhou or without.

>> No.2873618

>>2873227

I have a job.

And I like Touhou.

And I like VNs.

Is this allowed?

>> No.2873637

>>2873618

NO EVERYONE HERE HAS TO BE A COLLEGE DROPOUT

GET OUT

OUT OUT OUT

>> No.2873648

>>2873618
Is your job being the grocery boy of some supermart at 40+ years of age? Or the pizza delivery guy at 50+years?
If no, then no.

>> No.2873651

>>2873612

Did you count the amount of time on /jp/ talking about it and engaging in the fandom faggotry? Touhou really has become more of a community thing to enjoy. I doubt any of us would enjoy Touhou half as much as we do now if we didn't have some outlet to talk about it or something.

>> No.2873666

>>2873584

I just play the games and read the comics and stories by ZUN.

>> No.2873668

>>2873648

How about an office job? Would I be too cool or successful for /jp/? I'm still a shut in though. I stay in my cubicle all day long and don't talk to anyone. I browse /jp/ at work and listen to touhou music.

>> No.2873696

>>2873651

I don't know how much there is to say about it, really. I don't really post in any of the Touhou threads here, if that's what you mean. And I don't go to that other Touhou imageboard.

>> No.2873718

>>2873471
There's also the issue of a growing sophistication of one's taste, such that they find less pleasure in their old hobbies. And/Or find more pleasure elsewhere, in more complex/deeper activities that they can now better appreciate.

We all grew out of noughts and crosses, right?

>> No.2873730

I don't even bother with Touhou at all anymore, the magic is just gone for me, so I guess I've already outgrown it. I still play VNs though.

>> No.2873749

>>2873637
College dropouts don't belong here. They're either weak-willed faggots who aspired to be pseudo-intellectual normalfags and failed or slut-loving douchebags from fraternities. Only people who decisively chose the ameliorating solitude of NEEThood and never accepted the foul taint of work or aspiration are true /jp/ anons.

>>2873668
>>2873648
>>2873618

If you aren't smart enough to live comfortably without working, you don't belong here. Stooping so low as to accept an office job or pizza delivery is proof that you lack the abilities possessed by the rest of us.

>> No.2873753

I used to ask myself if I'd ever grow out of videogames.

I didn't so much grow out of them as animu started eating away at my time with it. Now VNs have begun eating away at my time with animu, and some manga and novels are getting thrown in there as well. I still have the same amount of free time as always, so I've got to do something with it. Watching American television is definitely out of the question.

>> No.2873756

>>2873648

I work at a major tech company.

>> No.2873792

It's more of an issue with time management than outgrowing hobbies. I used to love grinding on my rpgs but I can never find time for that now. I spent 600 hours on disgaea but I can barely fit in 40 hours to finish Vesperia. VN's are sucking up alot of time as well as just browsing /jp/.

>> No.2873912

>>2873718

True, but I think that social standards have a lot to do with what people come to enjoy as they get older. People start to reject things simply because they believe they're supposed to. It get to a point where they're not judging something on it's merits, but it's perceived targeted demographic which is ridiculous.

Just look at the most popular movies and television shows. That alone is proof that people's tastes really aren't getting that much complex as they age. The person looking down on me for watching and enjoying Gurren Lagann, is the same person who's first in line at the opening of Transformers.

>> No.2873963

>>2873584
>I doubt anyone JUST plays the games.
I do. Well I also listen to some of the music, but it's not like that takes up any time, I just listen to it while I'm doing something else.

>> No.2873977

I'm planning on going to college and getting a job this fall, so I don't know how much time I'll have for most of these things anymore. I'll probably stick with video games, maybe play a VN from time to time but I definitely won't be into these things as much as before.

I've been a NEET for two years. You can call me a normalfag, but I need money. I haven't bought anything at all these past two years, and it gets boring after a while living off of pirate-able things.

>> No.2874057

VN's aren't for people who are still growing. I'll never stop on my own.

>>
Name
Subject
Comment
Action