[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/jp/ - Otaku Culture

View post   

File: 104 KB, 653x550, 1243189321912.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2660012 No.2660012 [Reply] [Original]

Hey /jp/, I've got a question. To get to the point, I'm thinking of learning the moonrunes like every other fucker here who is too lazy to actually do it, but I was wondering if I should forget learning to speak/listen in Japanese? In all honesty, I only like Japan for the media, and I've got no plans to ever go there, so would it be alright to ignore the half of the language I won't use? Pros/cons?

>> No.2660018

>but I was wondering if I should forget learning to speak/listen in Japanese
How is this even possible? Even if you weren't trying, you'd still learn the readings by reading eroge.

>> No.2660024

If you have to ask, then you've already failed. No commitment = no progress. Don't worry though. There's more than enough English things out there to enjoy for 13 lifetimes.

>> No.2660026

>>2660018

Well then I mean should I learn to read/write without specifically focusing on the spoken aspect?

>> No.2660027

Learning to speak/listen will help your written Japanese so it's worth it anyway.

>> No.2660034

>>2660026
Why would you want to learn to write if you only care about the media? Just learn to read. Learning to read =/= learning to write.

Learn the readings, it's not hard. Just learn them in context when you're reading furigana'd manga and such, you barely even have to try.

>> No.2660042

>>2660012
in game voices. Learning to understand spoken Japanese should also be a lot simpler.

>> No.2660055

>>2660034

I know my main point here is "I won't ever go there," and thus what I'm about to say is kind of an invalid argument, but won't I sound like a bit of a douche if my pronunciation is completely off? Where would I learn to speak properly if I'm never there? I've always assumed I'd pick it up from listening, but lurking on /jp/ gives me a different impression about learning languages.

>> No.2660072

>>2660055
Watch anime, read eroge. Your pronunciation won't be off but you may sound like an anime character, though all you need to do to fix that is watch a few Japanese TV shows and copy their speech patterns before going to Japan, if you were ever planning to.

>> No.2660079

>>2660072

Alright. Thanks, /jp/. I'll actually do something about it now, then. Any other replies are appreciated.

>>
Name
Subject
Comment
Action