[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/jp/ - Otaku Culture

View post   

File: 138 KB, 1024x576, pattynih.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2645737 No.2645737 [Reply] [Original]

What's it like to be an American exchange student in a Japanese school?

Will the kids hate you because you're baka gaijin?

>> No.2645739

Yes to both.

>> No.2645744

Both.

>> No.2645746

In before idiots who've never been to Japan talk as if they're experts.

>> No.2645755

It probably depends on the person. If you're a fat weeaboo shit, then you're going to get shunned and made fun of just as you would here. If you're a cool person you're probably treated relatively well but still shunned.

>> No.2645761

Anyone who's been into an American school knows how cliquey Asians tend to be. I'm sure it's even worse in Japan

>> No.2645772

>>2645761

I lol'd because it's true. Almost all of the Asians in my part of Texas are Taiwanese, so it's a stretch to draw a parallel; but they were even more cliquey than the nigs in our school.

Even in college the asian kids in my classes would always, without fucking fail sit in a little group and speak Mandarin.

>> No.2645783

itt extreme racism

>> No.2645794

>>2645772
So youre telling me if you were (presuming u are caucasian) in a kenyan classroom and there are other caucasian american (presuming you are american) students, you wouldnt sit near them and speak english?

>> No.2645796

>Anyone who's been into an American school knows how cliquey Asians tend to be.

I am Asian, but I wasn't part of the Asian clique. We called them "the Asians". They always sat in the same place at lunch and jabbered in Chinese.

That said, I actually think being white in a Japanese school makes you "exotic". You'll have some people who will avoid you and some who'll go out of their way to befriend you because they think you're fascinating and want to see what Americans are like.

>> No.2645802

Too bad real life's not like anime where you can visit Japan and start magically speaking perfect Japanese while suddenly forgetting English except for now a few broken fragments.

OOU MAI GOHDO!

>> No.2645808

A friend of mine is a Norwegian exchange student in Japan. He says there's quite some racism around there, but nothing too hard.

>> No.2645816

Not as if we would know

>> No.2645820
File: 150 KB, 1600x1200, SOU NAN DES KARR.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.2645825

I like to call it harmless racism. Even though they've seen you use chopsticks 500 times before with no difficulty, they'll still randomly give you a fork to try and make you comfortable.

They'll also assume you don't know what you're saying- a teacher was telling me "it must be so hard to learn Japanese", and I replied "actually I think English is harder to learn" (実は英語の方が難しいと思いますけど。) and he just continued to talk about how hard Japanese is as if I had agreed with him.

>> No.2645831

>>2645825
>They'll also assume you don't know what you're saying- a teacher was telling me "it must be so hard to learn Japanese", and I replied "actually I think English is harder to learn" (実は英語の方が難しいと思いますけど。) and he just continued to talk about how hard Japanese is as if I had agreed with him.

Wow, But Thou Must isn't fiction after all.

>> No.2645839

>>2645825

>"actually I think English is harder to learn"

But do you honestly think that? Assuming you're a native English speaker, it's not like you would know.

>> No.2645845

>>2645839
Perhaps the same could be said to Japanese teachers - how can they know that Japanese is a difficult language to learn...?

they assume

>> No.2645848

>>2645794

Those situations aren't really analogous. One involves being a foreigner, the other involves being a minority. There were very few first generation immigrants in our school.

>> No.2645854

>>2645839
English is extremely odd. For instance, why use "gh" in the place of "f"? (rough)
Or why do vowels all make the same sounds as each other? (Mother, rubber, etc)

Pronounciation and spelling are incredibly difficult in English compared to Japanese. In Japanese, ま always sounds the same, disregarding stress and unstressed syllables. "Ma" in English can sound like "mat" or "make" or "mall" and in each instance it sounds different.

Of course, Japanese has kanji, but I find that to be far easier to learn than English's mostly idiomatic spelling and pronounciation rules. I am actually incredibly grateful my native language is English, because I sincerely doubt I could learn it fluently otherwise.

>> No.2645856

>>2645794
You're Chinese aren't you? Only they seem to think these kind of bullshit arguments work. The reason that Western foreigners actually learn foreign languages more quickly than our Eastern counterparts is because we actually use the language in foreign countries. Its not some special skill or something. Chinese always seem to be the most oblivious to this by a longshot.

>>2645737
My friend who did a year in high school with a sister high school said that they actually treated him pretty well because he earnestly tried to learn. He went to Kyoto though and he wasn't as much of a weaboo as the average /jp/sy.

>> No.2645867

>>2645825
Yeah, I've encontered the same. Except I stayed at the same place for four months, it was really bad in the beginning. Everyone would muster up their few words of English even though I had talked to people in Japanese before and the knew it. And they'd explain every Japanese custom to me.

But as they grew to knew me it got better and better. However you always were a bit the odd one out.

>> No.2645875
File: 33 KB, 339x450, vip1110385.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Somebody said Kenyan? hundreds of Kenyan come to Japan because Japanese love to watch long distance race like marathon and Kenya has many good runners. Some of them got medals in Olympics.

>> No.2645888

>>2645875
>Japanese love to watch long distance race like marathon

loljapan

I'm surprised they let Kenyans in the country.

>> No.2645907

>>2645888
you really are slow. you come to Japan and watch TV, it is not rare to watch Kenyan are running domestic marathon.

>> No.2645913

>>2645907
>you really are slow.

You'll have to excuse me for not having been informed of Japan's passion for long distance running.

>> No.2645927

>>2645913
The pic of >>2645875 is reposted many times in 4chan. and I explained about Kenyan in Japan many times. Japan is open more than you think.

>> No.2645943

>>2645737
Weebls

>> No.2645971

I have a very hard time fitting under these desks. Not even joking. I didn't think it would be that much of a problem but seeing as I'm 6+ feet tall it shouldn't have been a surprise.

>> No.2645981
File: 121 KB, 900x900, 1207807503528.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

One morning from my bus I actually saw a very white girl straggling behind in line of uniformed middle-schoolers heading towards class. She had bleach-blond hair and very pale features, sadly wasn't very moe, but I thought of Ana-chan nonetheless - they exist.

I would have taken a picture with my cellphone but I was too slow, and the angle was difficult; pulling out a camera on public transit is always a delicate business.

>> No.2645985

I went to an international school so there wasn't really any of that.
International schools suck because everyone there is some boring rich kid.
Then i got kicked out for never going and instead hanging around with the locals.
Eeven though i didn't go to a japanese school i think japanese treatment of foreigners is over exaggerated.
I don't think i met a single person who was rude to me based on my shitty language skills or my nationality.
Although as it was stated earlier in this thread, they will do things like give you a fork even if you tell them you're comfortable with chopsticks, and some of them try to use as much english as possible because they think you'll understand what they're saying better, which instead makes conversations extremely confusing.

>> No.2646098

Everyone's been very nice so far. But like anywhere, there's your fair share of people you don't want to assosciate with like in any university, and I find recently that that number of people has grown enormous for me. I wonder if there's a single person in this city who I can put up to know well/become friends with. It's not that they won't assosciate with, but that I'd rather not partake in the social conventions demanded of normal people. After a long period of isolation/neetdom I think I've just given up on people all together, so it's hard to figure out why I'm doing here to begin with.

>>
Name
Subject
Comment
Action