[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/jp/ - Otaku Culture

View post   

File: 75 KB, 645x270, image31em8.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2466808 No.2466808 [Reply] [Original]

I can't quite "get into" some VNs.
Do people really narrate their actions and thought processes in their head like this? It feels wrong to me, somehow, when a character's talking aloud to themselves when they're alone or describes a scene they're viewing with tons of words. It's not like I myself don't think before I act, but my thoughts are insanely fast compared to the plodding pace of the protagonist. I don't even think I form sentences or anything in my mind, it's just pure impulse and intentions.

tl;dr I'm a man of action, and all this thinking makes my head hurt

Does anyone else experience the same sort of thing? Like, do you understand (or at least *think* you understand) how your own mind works?

>> No.2466820

play wrpgs instead of visual novels.

>> No.2466821

>>2466817
>your stupid.
Well played

>> No.2466817

No, because I have a brain and can comprehend the differences between a novel and real life. Without narration, we would have no idea what is going on.

Imagine picking up some giant novel. Something with a lot of twists and turns. Something from someone like Stephen King maybe. Now take out everything except the dialogue and action. You have now turned the novel into something you can no longer understand.

In other words, your stupid.

>> No.2466826

>>2466817
>In other words, your stupid.

>> No.2466837

Not all VNs are 1st person.

>> No.2466847

>>2466837
That's why I said "some"...
It just bothers me for some reason when I have to read two or three paragraphs about a tree or something.

>> No.2466861

>>2466837
Not all people wet the bed either, what's your point?

>> No.2466863

>>2466847
Ahh I didn't read the "some"
Sorry about that.

>> No.2466867

>>2466847
What about ham?

>> No.2466868

What, you want every VN to be written in stream of consciousness? How tedious would that be?

On another note, I myself love the first person writing. Especially during that one side story where Nasu slowly shows you who the narrator is, as the narrator going "lol by the the way my name is __" would be extremely awkward, and nobody talks to her anyways.

>> No.2466894

Wait, OP just went on a giant monologue about how people never monologue in real life? Am I the only one who sees the irony in this?

>> No.2466906

>>2466868
>stream of consciousness
Isn't that exactly what he's complaining about?

I'm usually immersed well enough and only get self-conscious during sex scenes, since I doubt I'd be that articulate about vaginas and things of that nature IRL.

>> No.2466910

>>2466894
You don't know what a monologue is.

>> No.2466914

>>2466910

mono- =one

-logue =talking

A monologue is one person talking. How is OP's post or what he was complaining about NOT a monologue?

>> No.2466972

>>2466914
he's inviting discussion whereas a monologue normally is supposed to be a single person not wanting others to comment or anything

>> No.2467057

>>2466867
The ham scene...

>> No.2467069

>>2467057
that scene was pretty true to life

>> No.2467078
File: 533 KB, 1075x1516, little_girls_dance_26.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>when a character's talking aloud to themselves when they're alone

See "soliloquy" -- this narrative technique is not idiosyncratic to VNs.

>do you understand (or at least *think* you understand) how your own mind works?

Personally, it depends on what subject I'm contemplating. If the subject is mundane or mechanical, such as "going to Pizza Hut to get lunch" or driving to school, I don't form a stream of consciousness to get the chore done; I just do it like you said. If, however, I'm engaged in something that requires a bit more thought and planning, then I tend to create an internal pseudo-narrative to help me think it through.

For example, when I'm brainstorming what to write in an essay, I usually pretend that I'm either on a talk show or giving a lecture to a class of students about the topic of my paper-- internally, of course, it's not like you hear me rambling incessantly at any given moment like a transient waiting at a bus stop. The mock lecture serves two purposes: first it allows me to collect what ideas I have and sort them out into a coherent narrative and secondly, it allows me to proof-read my central argument and determine if the argument is compelling or not before I type out a single word. Furthermore, when I'm actually typing out the essay, I'm usually dictating in my head what I'm going to type two to three words in advance of what I see on the computer screen. I suppose I've just gotten into that narrative habit because of the gross amount of reading and writing I've been forced to do in college and so one could say it was a skill I developed out of necessity-- without it, I would not have the attention span to read most novels (VNs included) nor would I have the facilities to write an academic paper since one's ability to write complex sentences correlates directly with one's ability to maintain a coherent stream of consciousness.

Pic unrelated.

>> No.2467102

>>2466910
Internal monologue is still monologue.

>> No.2467106

Go read a movie script then.

>>
Name
Subject
Comment
Action