[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/jp/ - Otaku Culture

View post   

File: 66 KB, 640x480, 1239285964593.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2410121 No.2410121 [Reply] [Original]

So, I'm using Kanji dictionaries and I know jack shit about its terminologies.

For instance, there's three things when you click in the symbol I believe it's the different reading each kanji has (no shit Sherlock!) but I have no idea what's the difference between them.

OK, the first is on-yomi which I already noticed sometimes it's how you read names but not all the time, kun-yomi is pretty much the same as on-yomi and nanori is how you read stuff that aren't names like verbs and whatever. You know what I mean.

Is there a wise Japanese learner around here that can enlighten me with your knowledge in this stuff? Onegai.

>> No.2410131

nobodies?

>> No.2410163

訓読み = Native Japanese words
音読み = Chinese derived words
名乗り = Names

>> No.2410181

onyomi is the "Chinese" reading. ironically, it has nothing to do how Chinese people actually say that kanji. Anyway, it's mostly used with composite words. That is, if the kanji is not standalone but composes a word with another kanji, usually you use the onyomi but there are exceptions.

kunyomi is the Japanese reading. You usually use that when the kanji is used alone.

nanori is only used in names, but it's possible for a name to use onyomi reading too.

To be honest, since most kanji has several readings, there really isnt a quick and painless rule to tell how to say it. You just have to learn it by practice.

>> No.2410203

音読み is typically only used in 熟語 (jukugo, compound word, e.g. "dickbutt").
訓読み is used otherwise, there are exceptions though.
http://www.hellodamage.com/kanjidicks/newframes.htm is a good reference.

>> No.2410213

HOLY SHIT A TALKING ANIMAL

>> No.2410221

>>2410181
Onyomi has a lot to do with how the Chinese pronounced the kanji way back in the fucking day. You can learn a lot about classical Chinese by looking at modern onyomi.

>> No.2410235

>>2410221
>You can learn a lot about classical Chinese by looking at modern onyomi.
lolno.

>> No.2410270

>>2410235
I have a fucking Master's in this shit. Go back to your Touhou and leave matters of actual Japanese culture to people who know what they're talking about.

>> No.2410284

>>2410270
俺は中国

>> No.2410305

>>2410284
>"I am China."
Way to go! Do you know how many people in China speak classical Chinese now? I'll give you a hint: If you had 500 hands, you'd almost have enough fingers to count them.

>> No.2410442

>>http://www.hellodamage.com/kanjidicks/newframes.htm
jesus

>>
Name
Subject
Comment
Action