[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/jp/ - Otaku Culture

View post   

File: 99 KB, 640x425, 200806270132045.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2277170 No.2277170 [Reply] [Original]

Debito Arudou (有道 出人 Arudō Debito?) is an American-born Japanese author and activist

Japanese naturalization
Aldwinckle became a permanent resident of Japan in 1996. He obtained Japanese citizenship in 2000, whereupon he changed his name to Debito Arudou (有道出人 Arudō Debito?), whose kanji he says have the figurative meaning of "a person who has a road and is going out on it." To allow his wife and children to retain their Japanese family name, he adopted the legal name Arudoudebito Sugawara (菅原有道出人 Sugawara Arudōdebito?) — a combination of his wife’s Japanese name and his new transliterated full name. As reasons for naturalization, he cited the right to vote, other rights, and increased ability to stand on his rights; he renounced his U.S. citizenship in 2002 as required by Japanese law.

Otaru onsen lawsuit

The original problematic sign
Arudou was one of three plaintiffs in a racial discrimination lawsuit against the Yunohana Onsen in Otaru, Hokkaidō. Yunohana maintained a policy to exclude non-Japanese patrons; the business stated that it implemented the policy after Russian sailors scared away patrons from one of its other facilities. After reading an e-mail posted to a mailing list digest complaining of Yunohana's policy in 1999, Arudou visited the hot spring (onsen), along with a small group of Japanese, White, and East Asian friends, in order to confirm that only visibly non-Japanese people were excluded.

He may have some valid points, but alot of people seem to think he just reinforces the gaijin stereotype of being difficult to deal with. What does /jp/ think of him?

>> No.2277175

He looks like a faggot so I dont like him

>> No.2277174

dirty gaijin get out of our onsen

>> No.2277180

/jp/ - Same shit, different day.

>> No.2277190

"Arudou maintains an active online presence, including a blog.
Alex Kerr, author of the book Dogs and Demons, has criticised Arudou for his "openly combative attitude", an approach that Kerr thinks usually "fails" in Japan and may reinforce the conservative belief "that gaijin [foreigners] are difficult to deal with". Nevertheless, he comments that "perhaps we who live here are slow to stick our necks out...and quick to self-censor...to get along....". He also sees Arudou's decision to naturalise as bringing "the dialogue inside Japan. His activities reveal the fact that gaijin and their gaijin ways are now a part of the fabric of Japan's new society.""

>> No.2277199

Debito is /jp/'s patron saint.

>> No.2277203

He's probably a huge douchebag (like the 2ch thing, trying to sue for "libel", I don't know the full details but it sounds fucking retarded) but I like what he's doing. Non-Japanese people really aren't allowed in some places, regardless of whether they're citizens or not, which is ridiculous for any country these days

>> No.2277212

>>2277203

Did 2ch make fun of him or something?

>> No.2277219

It's kind of stupid to ban white people from business' I guess, but it's a private business and you can just go somewhere else. There's no need to act like some gaijin rights martyr.

>> No.2277222

>>2277203
Its their country, they should be able to do whatever the fuck they want

Othewise, they will just become another america with bullshit like nigger presidents and women rights groups

>> No.2277231

>>2277222
They're heading in that direction

>> No.2277241

>>2277231
There needs to be a country that stands up against multiculturalism bullshit

God damnit kitchen sink culture mexican spanish negro canadian italian bullfucking shit

>> No.2277248

>>2277222
Funny, cause this is shit you're more likely to find in backwater nigger countries.

>> No.2277249

Yes, banning people from a business is probably not the best idea, but it is a private business in that case. As mentioned earlier, you can always go somewhere else.

It is also wise to think that you should act like a japanese while in Japan. I think arudo's problem is that he is of the opinion that he is acting like a japanese person and doing everything that a japanese person would, but not getting the same treatment as a japanese person should.

Dude.... there is alot of positive potential to live in Japan being a foreigner. You are able to get away with a hell of alot more things being gaijin than a japanese person would. Unfortunately, if you don't embrace the fact that aside from friends and family, people who don't know you will always look at you as a gaijin. Hmm... I wonder why.....

>> No.2277255

>>2277248
They would have less problems if they developed a language outside of tongue clicks

>> No.2277262

>>2277241

So, what's your ethnic background, buddy?

>> No.2277275

>renounced his U.S. citizenship in 2002 as required by Japanese law.
Wait, what? Japan doesn't allow for dual citizenship? Backwards third world shithole.

>> No.2277284

>>2277275

I am not sure why, but you are correct. Japan does not allow legally for dual citizenship. There was a case that I heard of, a child who was born in Japan of a mixed family from a mother who was Filipino, they actually had to choose the child's citizenship, it couldn't be both. Too bad they chose Filipino.

Let's just say I also know an american born in Japan who 'renounced', but still has both passports. So really... as long as they don't find out, I think you'll be ok.

>> No.2277282

>>2277275
No, they don't.

>> No.2277287

>>2277262
scottish and hungarian

>> No.2277296

>>2277241
Not much of a loss, most cultures are shit anyway.

>> No.2277352
File: 214 KB, 1200x1500, 1220049208769.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2277222
>they will just become another america with bullshit like nigger presidents

What's wrong with Obama? Last time I checked, he was/is the lesser of the two evils.

>> No.2277374

>>2277352
He's a Scot, bro. He's just mad about his inferior government.

>> No.2277375

Honestly.... I think for anyone who's ever actually been to Japan, you will notice that people are, in general, actually quite nice to foreigners, ESPECIALLY if you speak japanese and do your best to fit in. Does all of that stuff really matter that much aside from your circle of friends/family made in Japan?

>> No.2277384

>>2277352
How is Obama the lesser of two evils? We elected a fucking song and dance man from one of the most corrupt parts of the country to be our president. He has no qualifications to be president, all he can do is talk.

>> No.2277389

>>2277384
You honestly think Mccain would have been a better choice?

>> No.2277387

>>2277384
He's better than Billary.

Also, A+++++ shitstorming OP.

>> No.2277393

>>2277384
That's all you need to do as president... You order for stuff to be done and the government pays for it to be done. You thought the President used his own hands or something?

>> No.2277418

>>2277393
The president also needs to know what he's doing. Would be nice if he would stand up and say "this is fucking wrong, rewrite this shit" when congress tries to do stupid shit (like its doing now).
>>2277389
Just because all the choices suck, doesn't mean we should have given up a decent choice to elect someone who sucks shit (such as giving up Clinton for Bush). There should be something that allows us to keep what we have for a year and make them find new candidates.

>> No.2277428
File: 27 KB, 374x290, 1219994485467.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2277384
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5eDQKaKLYE

>We elected a fucking song and dance man from one of the most corrupt parts of the country to be our president. He has no qualifications to be president, all he can do is talk.
Contrary to popular belief, it's the not the President's job to "think." The President is nothing more than a salesman. The people in his cabinet do the thinking. And in the case of Obama's cabinet, it's filled to the rim with veterans from the Clinton administration. If anybody knows how to fix the economy, it's them. Obama's ability to persuade the masses, is in a league of its own. Hence the reason why he's a good President.

>> No.2277435

>>2277428
Why would people from clintons administration be able to fix the economy?

If they were so great at it, they could have done it during his term.

>> No.2277470

>>2277428
Clinton's economic advisers are the asshats who got us into this fucking mess in the first place.

>>2277435
They wouldn't. They would fold to being told that they are being racist for trying to keep banks from making bad loans to the low income families.

>> No.2277485

Oh, good, this thread is going places.

>> No.2277489

>>2277418
>Would be nice if he would stand up and say "this is fucking wrong, rewrite this shit" when congress tries to do stupid shit (like its doing now).
As a salesman, you do as you're told and you never (under no circumstances) bite the hands that feed you. When you voted for Obama you were also voting for all the stuff that came with the Democrat party, regardless if it was good or bad. The last President that tried to disobey the puppet masters got assassinated.

You'd do the same if you were in a President's shoes. I thought Rahm Emanuel was going to control America with an iron fist, but it turns out he was just another puppet following Harry Reid and Nancy Pelosi's orders. It's a shame too, Rahn had a really good vision for America.

>> No.2277505

>>2277489
Sorry to disappoint you, I didn't vote for Obama. I saw through his bullshit. Don't vote for puppets, its how we get ourselves into these fucking messes.

>>
Name
Subject
Comment
Action