[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/jp/ - Otaku Culture

View post   

File: 63 KB, 500x500, GOM.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
21692956 No.21692956 [Reply] [Original]

>> No.21696605

>>21692956
You’ll never read it

>> No.21697120
File: 755 KB, 1410x1600, 165_526l.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Grimoire of Usami was such a disappointment compared to this.
The way Marisa analyzed the spellcards she encountered makes it feel like you're reading a grimoire full of her notes while Usami is just an expanded spellcard rating and not much of a grimoire at all. In fact, Sumi doesn't even have much of a role in her own book. She's just one of several other judges.

The CD that came with Grimoire of Marisa was great as well even if it was just two songs. The fact that ZUN went and remixed a Seihou song is nothing short of a miracle. Usami didn't have shit, and that was probably the biggest disappointment of all.

>>21696605
What do you mean? It's been translated and readily available for years.

>> No.21697409

>>21697120
Availability doesn't mean it will be read. Half of the posters on this board won’t read it

>> No.21697705

>>21697120
GoU is more fun. Like, GoM's nice and all, but it really is just a reference book. The narrative and character interactions make GoU a lot more enjoyable.

>> No.21697853

>>21692956
Read this thing in one sitting just a few weeks ago, it was a good experience. Not as mindblowing as I was expecting (some comments simply described the spell without adding much), but enjoyable nonetheless. The sigils were great, some of them were funny as well.
But I think the best part was Marisa's attitude itself. People often imagine Marisa as all flashy and hyperactive, but this book shows a less known analytical side of a witch who, behind the scenes, meticulously categorizes the material she's gathered and applies it to her own training. She doesn't spare anyone from her scrutiny, not even herself.
Magicians in Touhou consider their work a serious and professional matter (see Patchouli's distaste towards Alice or Marisa's admiration of Byakuren's skills, which is autonomous from Marisa's considerations of Byakuren as a person) and I think the book does a good job at showing Marisa's dedication in this field.
The CD was also a great addition: it's always nice to see ZUN give some love to his older works, but the other, original track is fantastic too.
>>21697120
>while Usami is just an expanded spellcard rating
I've yet to read the full thing, but, from what I've seen, the thing that disappointed me the most is the dullness of the comments. A good bunch of them just amount to "Wow, so cool, so many bullets", which could apply to any spellcard.

>> No.21698096

>>21697853
the manga parts of GoU are cool. The spellcard comments are boring.

>>
Name
Subject
Comment
Action