[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/jp/ - Otaku Culture

View post   

File: 68 KB, 238x331, Spring.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
20946493 No.20946493 [Reply] [Original]

Springtime is soon /jp/? have you asked for something better to happen?

>> No.20946540
File: 156 KB, 1804x1712, IMG_20190305_201135.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Clarvomit translated that panel wrong. The tranny did a horrible "localization". Marisa actually says:
"You may be Okina, but you're not Hanasaka Okina!"
This a pun on Hanaska Okina (The Flower Blooming Old Man), also known as Hanasaka Jisan or Hanasaka Jiji, a classic Japanese tale that tells the story of an old man who can make flowers bloom by spreading ashes. "Okina" means old man and is pronounced exactly the same as Okina's name (which is made up of unrelated kanji by the way).
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hanasaka_Jiisan

>> No.20946602

>>20946540
superior link https://mangadex.org/chapter/47692

>> No.20946672

Okina a shit

>> No.20946698

Obsessed with Okina as usual I see, shitposter.

>> No.20946708

>>20946540
I don't think you understand what "horrible localization" is if you think changing a pun whose content isn't important and requires cultural knowledge into a different pun that still works perfectly in context and makes a character-relevant joke is bad in any way.

Translating more directly but having to put translation notes explaining things to the reader is acceptable but not a good practice. The panel doesn't even show a little picture of Hanasaka Jiji, which would have probably prompted keeping it. I think having an end page showing the original pun while keeping the modified joke in-panel would serve the best, but noting what the original pun was basically adds nothing to the experience besides being Cultural Reference™ anyways.

>> No.20946793
File: 449 KB, 1028x1238, Japanese_Fairy_Book_-_Ozaki_-_178.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>20946708
Still not an excuse for changing ZUN's words without telling the reader. It's never an excuse. It's actually a joke that goes deeper than "haha their names sound the same". Matarajin is connected to the Okina god (an old man god), said god came from China or Korea. Matarajin's origins are in India, China, and Korea as well. Similar stories to Hanasaka Okina are found in older Chinese and Korean records, some correlating his gift of flowering blooming as a blessing from a god, either Kashin or Okina. In Japan the story is said to be be connected to the parable "a flower blooming on a dead tree" that's associated with the Senjuu Kannon (1000-Armed Avalokitesvara). Kannon bodhisattva is said to be the attendant of Amida buddha (Amitabha). Matarajin is the ushirodo (back door) form of Amida worshipped through dance behind the shrines and temples of Mount Hiei.

Bottom line is that you shouldn't alter ZUN's words and not make a reference to it. Some people actually enjoy researching. Reminder, you're on /jp/. We don't like normalfag pandering.

>> No.20947353

>>20946793
None of this really has anything to do with what I said though. I agreed that the original shouldn't be outright erased, but that doesn't have to be kept in-panel, which is why I suggested an ending notes page. It's definitely an audience-targeted choice to make whether to keep the original joke or make modifications, but if you can keep the entire intent intact with something else that doesn't require extra explanation that is a successful localization. I don't think the new joke loses any intent at all, but if you think he was making an intentional connection with Hanasaka Jiji I can see why you might think otherwise.

Aside from that, while I usually give credence that ZUN makes these connections on purpose, I find your dot-connecting just a bit reaching for what is a pun, although I still admire that research. I feel like ZUN simply used Hanasaka Jiji because it was fresh in his mind from the previous VFiS chapter. The influence of Matarajin and connected gods reaches incredibly far and can get fuzzy enough to the point you could probably make similar connections back to pretty much anything; maybe that's just me though. Also, if someone is knowledgeable and thorough enough that they would make these kinds of connections, would it not be better to just be reading the original text anyways? That's what I do. What do you even get out of using a translation?

>> No.20947415
File: 319 KB, 739x800, 1527249882259.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Did a mere secondary interpret one of ZUN's holy words incorrectly? Time to crucify the heretic for blasphemy!

>> No.20947451

>>20947415
This, but unironically.

>> No.20947451,1 [INTERNAL] 

>>20947353
The point is you shouldn't change ZUN's words then pass your own work off like he actually wrote it. If Clartranny made a note at the end then it wouldn't matter but he didn't. And that's misleading. A shitty "localization".
>>20947415
Get out of /jp/.

>>
Name
Subject
Comment
Action