[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/jp/ - Otaku Culture

View post   

File: 31 KB, 800x600, kanji04.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2064269 No.2064269 [Reply] [Original]

Hey /jp/, I've never been here, but this seems like the appropriate board to make this thread in.

I'm in 3rd year Japanese at college and I'm trying to become proficient enough to play through games in Japanese. I'm at the point where I can understand basically all the grammar I see, I just lack a huge amount of vocabularly and Kanji recognition.

Should I just study the Joyo Kanji list first, or play through a game and look up Kanji as I go?

>> No.2064279

Learn the kanji in their proper context, playing games > "studying kanji"

>> No.2064578

Write down everything you don't know when you come across it. Insert them into a SRS, constantly add new items you don't know that you come across. Obviously your gona have a shitload of stuff at the beginning but it after awhile it's gona be less and less.

>> No.2064638

>>2064578
>SRS
define this

>> No.2065146

>>2064638
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spaced_repetition
Basically it's a program that schedules reviews of items at the optimum time for you to learn it. For example you saw the word かみ and you remembered what it meant easily. Great it will test you again on it in 8-9 days. But wait you totally forgot? Then it will review it again shortly. Eventually the reviews get spaced to a point where the next recall will be in 1 year or 2 years. At this point you basically have it memorized. There a couple programs out there but I reccomend
anki: http://www.ichi2.net/anki/index.html
Read up on the wiki and watch the intro videos on how to work it

>> No.2065498

>>2065146
>>2064578
Wow, this sounds great. Thanks a lot.

>> No.2065506

>>2065146
As someone in the same position as the OP, thanks!

>> No.2065543

Hey, I just started using Anki to remember the Kanjis from "Remembering the Kanji" this week, and for now, I'm doing really good
SRS are awesome

>>
Name
Subject
Comment
Action