[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/jp/ - Otaku Culture

View post   

File: 170 KB, 800x344, Human Village.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
20394300 No.20394300 [Reply] [Original]

Reminder that Late Edo/Pre Modern standards of living means Late Edo/Pre Modern standards of living. And accordingly, Gensokyo is about on par with North Korea. Old retconned lore from twelve year old books and ZUN claiming "It's a pretty carefree and relaxing place to live" almost a decade ago aren't going to change that.

>> No.20394313
File: 131 KB, 500x282, 8B12y3l.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

hell yeah

>> No.20394314
File: 74 KB, 419x296, 1471675970040.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Reminder that you're arguing about lore with someone who never listened to music CDs.
>>/jp/thread/S19133257#p19263452
And is so bad in the games that 1cced only like three games on normal and needs to read the wiki and watching endings.
https://boards.fireden.net/vg/thread/236022975/#236239521
https://boards.fireden.net/vg/thread/236257928/#236287303
Think before you reply.

>> No.20394323

>>20394314
>And is so bad in the games that 1cced only like three games on normal and needs to read the wiki and watching endings.
Only for PoVF, and only because people wouldn't shut up about it.

>Reminder that you're arguing about lore with someone who never listened to music CDs.
I have read the stories that come with them though.

>> No.20394330

>>20394300
You're forgetting the fact that magic very much exists and can be learned to an extent.
Living in the 1800's with the ability the learn magic doesn't seem nearly as bad as one might think.
What year do the games take place in? Given that Nuclear fusion has been discovered and utilized, we're probably in at least the 1960's.

>> No.20394339

>>20394323
ZUN's rule is clear. No 1cc, no ending.

>> No.20394345

>>20394314
What a fag.

>> No.20394369

>>20394330
>You're forgetting the fact that magic very much exists and can be learned to an extent.
While it was mentioned as being possible to learn magic pretty easily in PMISS. I very much doubt that's true anymore considering we have seen exactly one magician living in the Human Village after more than a decade. He was also a outcast, and is currently very dead.

>What year do the games take place in?
Whenever the game was released, I guess. I mean, we know Trump was elected recently in the outside world.

>> No.20394373

>>20394339
People break that rule all the time. I'm pretty sure somebody even showed me the ending to make a point rather than me looking it up.

>> No.20394379 [DELETED] 

>>20394373
>People break that rule all the time
No they don't. People don't post endings in general and streamers genuinely respect that wish if a new game comes up. At least it shows and you're coming from community that doesn't give a flying fuck about creator's wishes.

>> No.20394382

>>20394373
>People break that rule all the time
No they don't. People don't post endings in general and streamers genuinely respect that wish if a new game comes up. At least it shows that you're coming from community that doesn't give a flying fuck about creator's wishes.

>> No.20394389

>>20394382
>doesn't give a flying fuck about creator's wishes.
Well that was already obvious when he claimed about how things are "retconned" and that ZUN's words from few years back don't hold weight.

>> No.20394397

>>20394382
>No they don't
Yes they do. Not everywhere and everybody. But it is something that people do.

Also, I never posted the ending myself. I'm still following the creators wishes just fine.

>>20394389
As opposed to ignoring all of his canon to turn Touhou into your own personal wish fulfillment fantasy. That totally isn't completely disrespectful.

>> No.20394403

>>20394397
At least I know my wish fulfillment fantasy is not canon, unlike a certain someone who pushes his headcanon as objective fact.

>> No.20394407

>>20394403
Name one thing I pushed as a objective fact rather than a theory.

>> No.20394411

>>20394397
>I'm still following the creators wishes just fine
That is impressive mental gymnastic as always but no you don't. ZUN especially specified that ending is meant to be as 1cc reward for your hard work and only for your eyes.

>> No.20394413

>>20394300
>Reminder that Late Edo/Pre Modern standards of living means Late Edo/Pre Modern standards of living. And accordingly, Gensokyo is about on par with North Korea. Old retconned lore from twelve year old books and ZUN claiming "It's a pretty carefree and relaxing place to live" almost a decade ago aren't going to change that.

>> No.20394415

>>20394413
meant as a reply to >>20394407

>> No.20394416

>>20394411
The only thing I read is that he doesn't want people to spoil the ending online. I don't think he's ever said anything about looking it up. If i'm wrong about this, please, show me a source for your claim.

>> No.20394420

>>20394415
>Posting a literal 100% word of god canon fact.
>Pointing out that this literal 100% word of god canon fact means what it means.
>"Headcanon".
You people are pathetic.

>> No.20394423

>>20394420
Nice headcanon, fag.

>> No.20394435

Reminder that OP shat up at least two threads and once people stopped replying to them because of how obstinate and dishonest they were being they decided to make this new thread in order to keep peddling their bullshit

please calmly leave the thread

>> No.20394443

>>20394423
I think you just killed the word headcanon.

>>20394435
>and once people stopped replying to them
Never happened.

>> No.20394497

>>20394443
>Never happened.
Aren't you glad you're autistic enough that people just can't leave you alone?
Don't mind me just passing through this kuso thread.

>> No.20394511
File: 58 KB, 257x344, 1431505648293.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>20394416
>I read is that he doesn't want people to spoil the ending online
>I don't think he's ever said anything about looking it up
What the fuck am I reading here. For what other reason he would copyrighted them. The ULiL endings on PS4 are literally locked because of this. Also in his copyright rules.

7. Do not reproduce or reprint ending material, including the text.
1. Don't post endings.

He mentions Japanese sites like Futaba but this obviously applies to western sites too.

>> No.20394521
File: 19 KB, 275x140, 1313756045694.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.20394552

>>20394300
Go away.

Anons, don't reply to this thread.

>> No.20394690

>>20394497
>Aren't you glad you're autistic enough that people just can't leave you alone?
I'm glad that people can't leave me alone. Even if that has more to do with your autism than mine.

>>20394511
Still doesn't say anything about looking up the ending or talking about it in the context of lore with somebody who also read it.

In any case, if this is the best argument you have for why i'm Hitler reborn, then go right ahead. Anybody that honestly views this as such a massive sticking point that they refuse to talk with me isn't worth my time anyway.

>> No.20399034

>>20394314
Why should I even listen to music CDs?
Get with the times gramps.

>> No.20399071

>>20394690
People don't talk to you because you are literally incapable of updating your beliefs in the face of textual evidence.

When presented with it you just say "it's retconned" without evidence and then act like you've won the debate.

>> No.20399105

>>20394511
How exactly does he lock them? Are they locked in the sense of "you'd have to be a magic hacker to get the files out of the game", or "you can't get them on the PS4 version", or "the PS4 won't let you use it's record feature during the ending sequences"?

>> No.20399133

Whoever brought this thread back from the grave deserves capital punishment

>> No.20399994

>>20399071
I've explained why it's been retconned time and time again. Read the PMISS monologue, then read FS or Symposium. The two simply don't work together in the way they portray Gensokyo.

The only one that refuses to update their beliefs in the face of textual evidence is you.

>> No.20401374

>>20394300
>It's a pretty carefree and relaxing place to live

According to AoCF people an afford to go watch a concert, get robbed, and then go back to watch that concert again, only to get robbed again, multiple times, sounds pretty carefree to me.

>> No.20401404

>>20399994
That is the same as simply saying "it's retconned", if you're going to make claims you post sources to them, no matter how many times you posted them before. Now, quoting the anon from the previous thread which you decided to ignore and let die.

>Thanks for providing a long post that just shouts "no" over and over without citing a single source. Your argument up until now has rested on all sorts of retarded shit like "there's no way ZUN could have envisioned a premodern yet prosperous place" despite being contradicted by his exact words and "there's no way that people who live in fear could live carefree lives" despite also being directly contradicted by ZUN's exact words. Despite this strong empirical evidence that you don't understand what ZUN thinks literally one fucking bit you still insist that you're the only one who's even gotten it right.

>If you're just going to shout "wrong" and "no" despite being literally disproven by the text over and over, either provide textual evidence or shove your headcanon up your ass.

>> No.20402356

>>20401374
People being stupid is not the same thing as people being carefree.

>> No.20402565

>>20401404
You want sources? Fine, I'll give you sources:
From the PCB Prologue: https://en.touhouwiki.net/wiki/Perfect_Cherry_Blossom/Story/Prologue

>P.S. So, why is Gensokyo a paradise for humans if they have to live with youkai? Well, that's because when everyone has enough power to defeat youkai in combat, and that's anything but boring!

Why it's been retconned: It's pretty obvious from the way the Human Villagers are portrayed that, no, everyone does not have enough power to defeat Youkai in combat. But if you want a specific example, there is the Salt Merchant that was killed by a ghost in FS.

From PMISS: https://en.touhouwiki.net/wiki/Perfect_Memento_in_Strict_Sense/Human_Village

>Everything necessary for human life is supplied here. Moreover, as there are also humans who spend their time as youkai exterminators, it is possible to lead a safe life here.

Why it’s been retconned: There have been exactly zero examples of Human Villagers working as Youkai exterminators in FS, WaHH, SOPM, VFIN or any of its sequels, AFOEU, and the games. In fact, the Human Villagers have been shown to consistently rely on Reimu and Marisa to solve every single youkai related problem, no matter how minor.

From PMISS: https://en.touhouwiki.net/wiki/Perfect_Memento_in_Strict_Sense/Monologue

>There are few threats to the humans' lives, and they can have peaceful duels whenever they please. Youkai extermination continues in name only, and abductions are only carried out for show.

>That plan was to have humans and youkai continue to battle each other in mock duels (*5). 5: These duels also involve mock kidnappings and youkai extermination expeditions.

>We, the humans of the village, will continue our mock battles with the youkai in order to ensure the stability of their existence.

Why it’s been retconned: There have been exactly zero examples of normal human villagers fighting Youkai in mock duels. Let alone Youkai performing mock kidnappings and Human Villagers performing Youkai extermination expeditions. In fact, in FS Kosuzu, who at the start is a relatively normal intelligent Human Villager, seems to view being abducted by Youkai as a legitimate fear rather than something she does for fun.

From PMISS: https://en.touhouwiki.net/wiki/Perfect_Memento_in_Strict_Sense/Monologue

>However, no youkai ever try to invade the outside world. Why is this? I believe it's because youkai have no reason to attack the humans of the outside world.

Why it’s been retconned: In WaHH chapter 35, Yukari explicitly admits that she uses the outside world as Gensokyo’s food supply.

From PMISS: https://en.touhouwiki.net/wiki/Perfect_Memento_in_Strict_Sense/Keine_Kamishirasawa

>"The temple school lessons are difficult to understand, tedious, and really boring! Can't you do something?" (Leader's son)

Why it’s been retconned: It’s made perfectly clear in SoPM (https://en.touhouwiki.net/wiki/Symposium_of_Post-mysticism/Part_1)) that the Human Villagers do not have a leader. This MIGHT be a translation mistake though. There is little to imply in PMISS or works made around the same time that the Human Villagers do not have a leader though.

From PMISS: https://en.touhouwiki.net/wiki/Perfect_Memento_in_Strict_Sense/Draft_of_Spell_Card_Rules

>However, a lifestyle without duels will cause the youkai to lose their power.

Why it’s been retconned: It’s been established in most recent Touhou works, but especially FS, that Youkai need fear not duels to maintain their power. If anything, non-lethal duels would be contradictory to creating the kind of atmosphere where fear can fester.

>> No.20402567 [DELETED] 

>>20399994
People don't update their evidence in the face of the textual evidence you provide because you don't provide any.

>> No.20402582

Use sageru when posting in this thread onegaishimasu.

>> No.20402597

>>20401404
>Your argument up until now has rested on all sorts of retarded shit like "there's no way ZUN could have envisioned a premodern yet prosperous place"
That's not my argument. Pre Modern standards of living does not mean that a society could not be prosperous. It simply means that the standards of living, even in a prosperous society, are much lower than they are in the modern world.

>and "there's no way that people who live in fear could live carefree lives" despite also being directly contradicted by ZUN's exact words.
I do actually think it is impossible. But if your argument rests on "BUT ZUN SAID THIS!", then actually point me to a example of ZUN claiming that such a thing is the case. The TD interview was close, but that one was more talking about the kind of Gensokyo as described in PMISS (1) rather than the one portrayed in later works like FS, SoPM, or even WaHH.

>Despite this strong empirical evidence that you don't understand what ZUN thinks literally one fucking bit you still insist that you're the only one who's even gotten it right.
I neither pretend to be the only one i'm right or that I understand what ZUN thinks. What I do think is that I am correct while you are wrong, as any and all examples of Gensokyo being a good place to live are spurious at best, and that I do have a somewhat decent grasp of ZUN's authorial intent when writing Touhou.

>either provide textual evidence or shove your headcanon up your ass.
I have done so. (2) Now, it's your turn.

>Now, quoting the anon from the previous thread which you decided to ignore and let die.
I was busy for a few days.

(1) From PMISS: https://en.touhouwiki.net/wiki/Perfect_Memento_in_Strict_Sense/Monologue
>There are few threats to the humans' lives, and they can have peaceful duels whenever they please. Youkai extermination continues in name only, and abductions are only carried out for show.
>That plan was to have humans and youkai continue to battle each other in mock duels (*5). 5: These duels also involve mock kidnappings and youkai extermination expeditions.
>We, the humans of the village, will continue our mock battles with the youkai in order to ensure the stability of their existence.

(2) >>20402565

>> No.20402670

>>20394314
Since this thread got bumped, pointing out a few
helpful reminders again:
>>20394314
>>20394435
>>20394552
>>20399133

>> No.20402751

>>20402597
>That's not my argument.
You have argued before that most villagers live miserable lives and that Gensokyo is wracked with famines, not just that the standard of living in Gensokyo is "lower than in the modern world."

>But if your argument rests on "BUT ZUN SAID THIS!"
Any argument that rests on things ZUN said is worth infinitely more than an argument that attempts to arbitrarily dismiss what ZUN says.

SoPM is the companion work to TD. Your position requires some sort of idiotic theory that despite Gensokyo having existed continuously as a setting for sixteen years, in the few short months between November 2011 (Febri interview) and April 2012 (SoPM publication), that ZUN completely gutted the underpinning of the Gensokyo that existed before and replaced it with a new one.

>I do have a somewhat decent grasp of ZUN's authorial intent when writing Touhou.
You've stated, just now, that something ZUN explicitly described is "impossible."

>>20402565
>PCB Prologue
PCB Prologue takes place long before modern Gensokyo. We've been over this.

>Why it’s been retconned: There have been exactly zero examples of
You're operating under a skewed framework where absence of evidence means evidence of absence whenever it suits you (as it does here), but absence of evidence doesn't mean evidence of absence whenever it doesn't suit you (when you claim that villagers regularly die of starvation, poverty, and lack of medical care; after all, we haven't seen any). Choose one and stick with it.

BKoFW 2015: "the barriers to youkai extermination became much lower, and those with confidence in their abilities can join in with youkai extermination." This is consistent with PMiSS. The fact that we haven't seen any means that ZUN hasn't decided to introduce a new human protagonist. Nothing structurally prevents a villager from attempting to learn magic.

>In WaHH chapter 35, Yukari explicitly admits that she uses the outside world as Gensokyo’s food supply.
Akyuu being wrong is not indicative of a retcon; she was wrong even in PMiSS.

>This MIGHT be a translation mistake though.
I would assess that it is.

>Why it’s been retconned: It’s been established in most recent Touhou works, but especially FS, that Youkai need fear not duels to maintain their power.
BKoFW 2015: "It's said that these rules were decided upon because it was necessary to avoid weakening the youkai's power."

The only truly new element that was introduced to Gensokyo via FS/WaHH is the existence of what can loosely be termed the non-anthropomorphic, primeval youkai which act like beasts rather than people (all the youkai characters from the games) and pose an actual threat to villagers.

>> No.20402886 [DELETED] 

>>20402751
>not just that the standard of living in Gensokyo is "lower than in the modern world."
That includes poor people (Which make up most of the population) not having much to eat.

>SoPM is the companion work to TD
5 months is too long for it to be considered a companion piece. And yes, I do actually think he changed the underpinning of Gensokyo and replaced it with a new one in SoPM. He had already been slowly making Gensokyo a somewhat darker place than it was described in PMISS, SoPM was simply the moment he finally sat down and clearly communicated his ideas for Gensokyo 3.0. If you want to argue against that, then please point out to me how exactly the Gensokyo described in SoPM is a "relaxing and carefree place" for humans. Let me remind you, by the way, that the game released after SoPM is about the Human Village nearly collapsing because of a lack of hope.

>You've stated, just now, that something ZUN explicitly described is "impossible."
What?

>PCB Prologue takes place long before modern Gensokyo. We've been over this.
That was a retcon added later. We've been over this as well. Show me the interview where he claimed it MIGHT take place before modern Gensokyo, and i'll explain to you once again why that idea is nonsense.

>You're operating under a skewed framework where absence of evidence means evidence of absence whenever it suits you
I'm operating under a sensible framework that a complete absence of any evidence for twelve years long means that it's no longer true. Also, again, characters not responding like Humans and youkai holding mock duels/exterminations is a thing that still happens.

>when you claim that villagers regularly die of starvation, poverty, and lack of medical care; after all, we haven't seen any). Choose one and stick with it.
Poverty and existing is not the same thing as people regularly dying from either. Being poor isn't a death sentence, not even in a pre modern society. Meanwhile, i've admitted that medical care is pretty good.

>BKoFW 2015
Send a actual link when you post a random quote, you lazy bum.

>Akyuu being wrong is not indicative of a retcon
True, but it could still be a retcon. At the very least, she used it in the context of Gensokyo being paradise. So, either way, that idea has been shot down.

>I would assess that it is.
Based on...?

>BKoFW 2015:
Again, post a actual link. Or are you just trying to avoid that out of fear that the context will reveal that it's a bullshit argument?

>> No.20402894

>>20402751
>not just that the standard of living in Gensokyo is "lower than in the modern world."
That includes poor people (Which make up most of the population) not having much to eat or much money.

>SoPM is the companion work to TD
5 months is too long for it to be considered a companion piece. And yes, I do actually think he changed the underpinning of Gensokyo and replaced it with a new one in SoPM. He had already been slowly making Gensokyo a somewhat darker place than it was described in PMISS, SoPM was simply the moment he finally sat down and clearly communicated his ideas for Gensokyo 3.0. If you want to argue against that, then please point out to me how exactly the Gensokyo described in SoPM is a "relaxing and carefree place" for humans. Let me remind you, by the way, that the game released after SoPM is about the Human Village nearly collapsing because of a lack of hope.

>You've stated, just now, that something ZUN explicitly described is "impossible."
What?

>PCB Prologue takes place long before modern Gensokyo. We've been over this.
That was a retcon added later. We've been over this as well. Show me the interview where he claimed it MIGHT take place before modern Gensokyo, and i'll explain to you once again why that idea is nonsense.

>You're operating under a skewed framework where absence of evidence means evidence of absence whenever it suits you
I'm operating under a sensible framework that a complete absence of any evidence for twelve years long means that it's no longer true. Also, again, characters not acting like Humans and youkai holding mock duels/exterminations is a thing that still happens.

>when you claim that villagers regularly die of starvation, poverty, and lack of medical care; after all, we haven't seen any). Choose one and stick with it.
Poverty and existing is not the same thing as people regularly dying from either. Being poor isn't a death sentence, not even in a pre modern society. Meanwhile, i've admitted that medical care is pretty good.

>BKoFW 2015
Send a actual link when you post a random quote, you lazy bum.

>Akyuu being wrong is not indicative of a retcon
True, but it could still be a retcon. At the very least, she used it in the context of Gensokyo being paradise. So, either way, that idea has been shot down.

>I would assess that it is.
Based on...?

>BKoFW 2015:
Again, post a actual link. Or are you just trying to avoid that out of fear that the context will reveal that it's a bullshit argument?

>> No.20402925

>>20402565
>PMISS Human Village
It doesn't say that there are human villagers that work as exterminators, it just says that there are humans who spend their time as youkai exterminators which can perfectly be Reimu and Marisa.
>Keine Kamishirasawa
I'm not a japanese expert but 棟梁の息子 can mean both son of a ruler or son of a master carpenter, and the next eyewitness is the florist's daughter so you can see the direction it was going to.

I'm just gonna correct what I can, have fun shitting up /jp/! And congratulations for making an actual well thought out argument for once!

>> No.20402968

>>20402894
>That includes poor people (Which make up most of the population) not having much to eat or much money.
Is it your belief that the Gensokyo of 2003 was therefore simultaneously prosperous, peaceful, AND miserable at the same time?

>If you want to argue against that, then please point out to me how exactly the Gensokyo described in SoPM is a "relaxing and carefree place" for humans.
A bunch of youkai leaders jockeying for status has no practical impact on the day-to-day lives of villagers whatsoever.

>Let me remind you, by the way, that the game released after SoPM is about the Human Village nearly collapsing because of a lack of hope.
You make it sound like the "lack of hope" of HM was somehow related to the natural level of shittiness in society as opposed to supernaturally induced. Despair is defined as the utter loss of hope. Drain hope from any society and it descends into despair almost by definition. If someone wrote a story in which which an wizard cast a magic spell that removed all hope from the nation of Belgium, shortly after which large parts of Brussels were set on fire, it would say pretty much nothing about the state of Belgium itself.

>What?
ZUN writes: "Like the days of old, youkai attack humans, and humans live in fear of youkai. There exist, but only few, humans with the power to rebuke youkai. That said, youkai and humans are basically living relaxed and carefree lives." You've claimed that it's impossible for "humans live in fear of youkai" and "humans live carefree lives" to be true.

>Show me the interview where he claimed it MIGHT take place before modern Gensokyo, and i'll explain to you once again why that idea is nonsense.
I like how you've boldly claimed what ZUN explicitly acknowledges as likely you claim is "nonsense."

>Send a actual link when you post a random quote,
The source is ALWAYS Touhouwiki. It's been the standard for like ten million years and in a half-second, less time then it takes even takes you to ask, you have Googled the quote and had it on hand already.

>True, but it could still be a retcon.
If you want to prove that something is a retcon, it's not enough to demonstrate that it "could" be a retcon. Anything "could" be retconned.

>At the very least, she used it in the context of Gensokyo being paradise.
She did not.

>> No.20403112

>>20394300
Late Edo and Pre-Modern are two different things.

>> No.20403153

>>20402925
>It doesn't say that there are human villagers that work as exterminators
It's used just after "Everything necessary for human life is supplied here(Human Village)" . I find it incredibly unlikely that in such a context it was meant to mean "Two people that don't live in the Human Village". Also, there are mentions of people that are not Reimu and Marisa fighting Youkai, like Meiling's article.

>so you can see the direction it was going to.
I mean, it's possible. But again, there is literally nothing to imply anywhere that the Human Villagers do not have a leader.

>> No.20403266

>>20402968
>Is it your belief that the Gensokyo of 2003 was therefore simultaneously prosperous, peaceful, AND miserable at the same time?
I believe that it was pretty miserable when it came to your standards of living, but that the positive relationship people had with Youkai somewhat made up for that. Being able to become a magician or a Youkai exterminator pretty easily certainly helped as well.

>A bunch of youkai leaders jockeying for status has no practical impact on the day-to-day lives of villagers whatsoever.
It does have a impact considering that, you know, they are the status object being fought over.

>You make it sound like the "lack of hope" of HM was somehow related to the natural level of shittiness in society as opposed to supernaturally induced.
If you're entire society functions completely on hope, then something is seriously wrong with that society. If Belgium lost all of its hope, most people would still keep going because of what they already have. The Human Villagers literally only keep going because they are hopeful things are going to get better.

>You've claimed that it's impossible for "humans live in fear of youkai" and "humans live carefree lives" to be true.
I do think it is impossible. The only way it would kind of make sense is if you assume that the Human Villagers are simply so beaten down by the constant horror in their life that they just stopped caring altogether. Only kept going by the vague, almost nebulous, hope that life is going to get better eventually and the few pleasures they can get. Which does actually kind of makes sense in the context of HM and is probably what ZUN was going for when he gave that interview.

>I like how you've boldly claimed what ZUN explicitly acknowledges as likely you claim is "nonsense."
It is nonsense. I mean, it's a decent retcon to get over the problem that the thing doesn't make a lick of sense anymore. But if you can seriously read "The following story is a record of the peaceful and fantastic everyday events that take place only in Gensokyo." and then the intro of PCB without thinking "This was written in the present" then you are either incredibly thick or a incredible liar.

>It's been the standard for like ten million years and in a half-second, less time then it takes even takes you to ask, you have Googled the quote and had it on hand already.
Fine then, you lazy fuck.

>and those with confidence in their abilities can join in with youkai extermination
The full quote makes it perfectly clear that it's talking about people like Marisa and Sanae, who are capable but would still be utterly crushed if they went up against a high level Youkai in a fight to the death, solving incidents. Rather than some mostly normal smuck working as a Youkai exterminator in the Human Village as their dayjob.

>"It's said that these rules were decided upon because it was necessary to avoid weakening the youkai's power."
This one is pretty similar to what was written down in PMISS. But it's still mostly talking about fighting in the context of Reimu or one of her friends vs a incident causing youkai.

>She did not.
>Thus, even though Gensokyo is as small as it is, no youkai would ever leave it to go on a rampage. Being satisfied with the current state of affairs is the only path to happiness, but it is also probably the most difficult, and this isn't just true for youkai.
Clearly, she wasn't talking about the fact that Youkai don't bother outside world Humans is a good thing.

>> No.20403289

>>20403112
Yes, but they still do talk about the same time period. It's just that one is a lot more specific than the other.

>> No.20403846

>>20403153
The only thing Meiling's article says is this which doesn't really say that there are human exterminators on the village, just that this is your only option to "exterminate" her.
>In order to exterminate her, the only way is to request a one on one battle with a time limit (*3), and win by overpowering her through a direct attack.
It doesn't contradict with newer canon so it's not a retcon.
>there is literally nothing to imply anywhere that the Human Villagers do not have a leader.
And? That's not the point of this. if you consider it as the son of a carpenter and not as the son of the leader then it's not a retcon. Plus, wouldn't it be awkward that the only mention of the village ever having a leader came from a testimony of it's son while talking about someone else and an entirely different subject to leading the village?

>> No.20403877

>>20403846
PMiSS, Human Village: "Moreover, as there are also humans who spend their time as youkai exterminators, it is possible to lead a safe life here."

>> No.20406127

>>20403846
Meiling's article also claims that:
>In other words, she may be a good opponent to test your skills (*4). 4: In fact, she always gets such challengers. It is said that the mistress of the Scarlet Devil Mansion enjoys watching these matches, too.

Something that makes it pretty clear that she regularly gets challenged by Humans that are not Reimu or Marisa, who both view her as more or less beneath her skill wise.

>That's not the point of this. if you consider it as the son of a carpenter and not as the son of the leader then it's not a retcon
My point is that there isn't much of a reason to assume that it's a mistranslation.

> Plus, wouldn't it be awkward that the only mention of the village ever having a leader came from a testimony of it's son while talking about someone else and an entirely different subject to leading the village?
Why exactly? Assuming that it wasn't a mistranslation, it's probably just something ZUN didn't feel the need to go into too much. "Village has mayor" isn't that interesting or surprising of a subject.

>> No.20406938

>>20394382
I don't know how you can say this when all endings can be searched on youtube.

>> No.20408930

>>20394300
Amish country is less economically developed than Pyongyang
Measuring quality of life by how much plastic shit people have is so stupid only a communist would do it

>> No.20411769

>>20408930
I agree. But, pretending that the advances of the modern world is little more than people having nicer plastic shit is so stupid only a unapologetic capitalist would do it.

>> No.20411830

>>20411769
>pretending that all these things you can buy is worthless shit is so stupid only a Luddite would do it
ftfy

>> No.20411910

>>20411830
That as well. But that's a different matter altogether.

>> No.20415742

>>20403112
Explain.

>>
Name
Subject
Comment
Action