[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/jp/ - Otaku Culture

View post   

File: 27 KB, 330x400, 1228244970681.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1879477 No.1879477 [Reply] [Original]

What got you into Touhou and what keeps you looking forward new stuff?

I highly doubt that you are here because of the fanbase (it is fucking horrible) nor you're trying to improve it since it has no remedy.

My first contact with Touhou (being completely honest) was Overdrive IOSYS flash, I liked the characters and started searching about it. I love the games and I play them everyday since then (I play most of the time on Normal and I can beat most of the extra stages and PCB's Phatasm). I sometimes enjoy doujinshis and have Touhou music mixed with my normal playlist, but what keeps me on this are the games.

>> No.1879501

I'm here for the lesbians.

>> No.1879511

The futa

>> No.1879515

Games are good. Some of the music is good. Some of the fanmade stuff is good.

Overall, Touhou just has a bunch of good stuff, and more just keeps being made.

>> No.1879522

I got into Touhou from Ikaruga. I hardly play games anymore though, so I just stick with the doujinshi, official written material, and music nowadays. Huh, sort of the opposite of what happened with you.

>what keeps you looking forward new stuff?
Don't know. I really want to try and make my own doujinshi though. Too bad I suck at drawing.

>> No.1879532

Games, cute pictures, doujinshi, and music are good enough. Only thing that can really make me hate a fanbase is if they start wars with other fanbases, because that's just intolerant.

>> No.1879533

The j-core.

>> No.1879539

I came across it a couple years ago, tried it, didn't really like it, eventually came to /jp/, found that everybody here was a touhoufag, decided to try this shit again and it turned out I liked it.
ITT: pooshlmer faggotry

>> No.1879546

I like the music, never bothered to see a doujin, I think IOSYS gave some of the characters some pretty awful traits (shy alice, kiddy nitori, etc.) but the animations are superb, and I play the games almost every day for their difficulty. And I hate the fanbase.

>> No.1879554

1. Saw the faggots on /v/ bitching about it.
2. Saw a gameplay video of it and I loved the music so I downloaded it to give it a try.
3. Went a week blinded.
4. Played more Touhou.
5. Saw a bunch of fanmade stuff.
6. ??????
7. PROFIT

>> No.1879559

>>1879546
>I think IOSYS gave some of the characters some pretty awful traits
>shy alice
That wasn't IOSYS's idea.

>> No.1879579

>>1879477
discover the mysterious song on the Ronald MacDonald Video

>> No.1879594

>>1879579
wait, this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ShsxLeISlCU&feature=related ?

>> No.1879595

>>1879579
Same... sadly.

>> No.1879600

>>1879477

The millions of touhou hijacks in /a/.

>> No.1879616

>>1879600
This. When /a/ started having Touhou threads. Tried the game and never gotten into it so I stayed for it for the fanart, doujin and got a few music from it.

>> No.1879626

Games have been so-so. Imperishable Night is one of my favorite games of any type ever, PCB is good too, but after IN they started going downhill. ZUN has run out of steam as a game designed, and his art is getting worse too.

Fan creations range from embarrassing to wicked awesome. I like some of the comics, the animations and such.

Mostly though, I just like the idea. There's something very appealing in a magical wonderland full of lolis with godpowers that can be played both in humorous and in "holy shit get that thing away from me" light. It's an excellent concept that's fertile ground for all sorts of good stuff.

>> No.1879629

About 4 years ago I saw that "Room Cleaning Stop!" flash video. It piqued my interest. Downloaded the PCB demo, enjoyed it, loved the music. Torrented that Touhou 1-9.5 batch. The rest is history.

>> No.1879635

Megamari was posted on /v/, then googling the names.

>> No.1879639

>>1879626
>his art is getting worse

not possible

>> No.1879666
File: 209 KB, 850x1275, 1231295151367.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

A buddy of mine recommended it to me a year and a half ago.

The only thing keeping me in it is the games, really. The character and their jokes are a bit fun, but I'm just in it for the games and China.

>> No.1879665

>>1879629
Said flash
http://yuki.kitune.info/hikari/flash/mizkan.html

>> No.1879682

A few years ago I was shopping for doujin games and I happened across the Touhou games. They looked interesting, so I picked them up, along with a few unrelated titles. I enjoyed the games, despite having my ass repeatedly handed to me. Later I discovered that a huge fanbase had developed in Japan. And then I watched as it started appearing in /a/, and observed with a combination of happiness and apprehension as it gained a foothold in American fanbase.

What keeps me coming back? A steady flow of new games, new doujinshi. I'm an all-around doujn collector, and I'm always amused when a circle I've been following for a while does a Touhou book.

>> No.1879688

>>1879600
Me too. Way back in mid 2007 after I started seeing Touhou more and more on /a/, I downloaded the 1-9.5 batch, but it wasn't really until /jp/ was split that my interest grew.

>> No.1879687

Had been into shmups for a long while before ever getting to know of Touhou. I just happened to notice a thread on /v/ about the IN demo a couple of years ago, back when bitching about it wasn't the way of life yet, and took a shine to it straight away. Downloaded it along with Perfect Cherry Blossom and started trying my hand at it. Also, a little anecdote: when I first played them I believed at a first glance that they were dolls or something. Maybe it was because Rozen Maiden was still big on 4chan at the time, but couldn't shrug off this preconception until later on.

>> No.1879691

I saw Touhou threads on /a/, first thread I remember seeing was a Meiling thread. Eventually I decided to check up the game on youtube. Did nothing about it for a bit until I saw the IOSYS flashes. Got into the games > music > other doujin works

>> No.1879717

>>1879665
Oh wow. I didn't know that you can click on the flash while she on the "Meirin! Meirin!".

>> No.1879725
File: 213 KB, 950x1334, 1231295800950.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1879477
The hentai doujins is what drew me into Touhou. For some odd reason, there are a LOT of hentai doujins for Touhou, and a fair proportion of it is very well drawn as well.

>> No.1879735

I came for the games.

I stayed for the lesbians.

>> No.1879765

I had a buddy of mine in the service who was big into it (this was early 05), he got me into it by making me play PCB and IN. It wasn't until PoFV came out that I got big into it though, blame Aya for that.

>> No.1879773

Oh fuck it got janitored before I can ask for the sauce.

>> No.1879822

Chen RABBIT flash.

First game played, StB. Then everything spiraled off from there.

Staying for the music and characters. I suck at the new games.

I think I converted some of /a/ with Cirno floods.

>> No.1879844
File: 82 KB, 600x446, 1231296883206.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

First contact? Somebody on /b/ posted a link to ROOM CLEANING STOP in 2005 and I was like "Look at these girls with silly hats. This is nice." In the thread they were talking about the series like everybody knew about it, but I managed to pick up enough from it and try out the games. When it got big with 4chan a year or two later, I enjoyed the doujins and music as well.

And to be honest I don't really look forward to new stuff. I play the games when they come out, but I don't anticipate anything. I just like hanging out on /jp/ because of the atmosphere.

>> No.1879909
File: 116 KB, 426x459, 1231297509236.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

EoSD demo on some site with a solid black background. Somebody posted it on /a/ and I decided to check it out. Got my ass kicked on all three stages and wanted to find the complete version. Google'd it, found the translation, and finally beat it after a month. Fuck you Misdirection, fuck you.

Then Touhou hijacks pop up, find out about doujins and flash, etc. Though I only check out Touhou for the vidya.

>> No.1879937

Actually, my primary interest in Touhou IS the fanbase-the fanbase that actually produces doujin works, that is. The huge amount of music remixes, doujin games and comics, and the abilities of fans to shape the characters are what truly distinguishes Touhou from other games.

>> No.1879939

I was already a shump fans playing 1945, Raiden, Rtype and Gladius.
Saw Shameimaru on danbooru. Rest is history.
Downloaded the games. Then the music. Will probably get the doujins soon.

>> No.1879964

I don't remember what got me into it, I don't really read the new doujins, I only care about the music now. Einhänder is still my favorite shooter.

>> No.1879990

Someone used a Touhou remix for a video on YouTube and found out that it was a remix of a video game song. I googled Touhou and ended up in the wiki. The games looked fun so I tried them, and got horribly raped.

I'm mainly staying for the remixes and play the games once in a while (I'm still doing horrible...)

>> No.1879999

>>1879909
Found it!!!
The glorious image that I forgot to save.

>> No.1880007

I came to /jp/ to discuss visual novels and saw Touhou all over the place so I eventually tried out some of the games. Even though I generally hate shmups I found Touhou to be really addictive and I absolutely loved the music. Outside of the games the only thing I'm interested in is the music. I don't read any of the doujins because I'm sure I would be lost without knowing anything about the fan-created personalities for the characters.

>> No.1880024

>>1880007
>I'm sure I would be lost without knowing anything about the fan-created personalities for the characters.

You're quite right. Too bad the fans take this personalities as canon. This created the moe Suika, the tsundere Alice and batshit insane Flandre. Which are not quite correct.

>> No.1880029

>>1879666
you now realize China's hat kanji changes to fit her mood

>> No.1880038

>>1880024
Don't forget Sakuya, whoe has a rather large list of different personalities and backgrounds.

>> No.1880044

I got into the Touhou games after someone here posted a link to doujinstyle a while ago. I wasn't really interested in all the fan-made stuff, but I wanted to see what all the hype was about. Suffice to say, the games were challenging and fun, and I'm sort of proficient at playing them now, albeit not that great (I can 1cc on normal if I try hard enough). Although I must admit, I still don't know much about the stories and characters, and I'm still not really that interested in the fan-made stuff either.

>> No.1880049

>>1880038

And she's canon airheaded, which you never, ever see in doujins.

>> No.1880066

>What got you into Touhou and what keeps you looking forward new stuff?

1). Saw people on /a/ bitching about it.
2). Joined the said people who were bitching about it (I even bothered moot a few times).
3). Fell in love with the tripfag "Cirno Anonymous of Gensokyo."
4). I gave into peer pressure and decided to play some of the games. With the exception of STB, most of the games were repetitive/mediocre. But I'm a product of the ADD generation, so scrolling through badly drawn areas on a predefined x and y plane tediously mashing z kinda makes me want to punch myself in the nuts for wasting time downloading it. I grew up on console games like Zelda, Metroid, and Metal Gear (i.e games that aren't mediocre). But my hate for the Touhou games has nothing to do with Touhou's low production quality. Even if Touhou had decent music, story, and art I still would hate it. Again, I've never been a fan of "video games" and "beating the high score." Zelda, Morrowind, Halo, and Metal Gear's next generation gameplay is beyond conventional gameplay. They are the types of games that makes you forget that you are playing a "game."
5). Upon learning that the games were bad I begun to loath Touhoufags and Touhou in general. Then I heard some Touhou remixes and looked at some Touhou doujins and realized the latent potential of Touhou's fanbase. I then realized it wasn't Touhou itself that I hate. The only thing I hated about Touhou was the erratic behavior of the Zundere Touhoufags (the ones who praise ZUN, a man of very little accomplishments). Your job as a consumer is to give credit where it is do.
6). I'm currently creating a Touhou game that will put ZUN out of business. Hopefully this paramount project will kill the entire franchise.

tl;dr I need to get laid. BAD! I knew I should have spent that college loan on that Mexican hooker. What the fuck was I thinking?

>> No.1880073

>>1880066
>6). I'm currently creating a Touhou game that will put ZUN out of business. Hopefully this paramount project will kill the entire franchise.
But you've never gotten anywhere, Robotech guy!

>> No.1880085

Touhou hijacks on /a/ and Marisa Stole the Precious Thing got me into it. The shmups and SWR keep me coming back. Doujins are just something I indulge in here and there.

>> No.1880108

>>1880066
I would explain in terms everyone can understand. Touhou is like a ballon, it gets bigger and bigger because of the games, fan-made material and music remixes. The bigger the ballon seems to be more awesome, so people wants keep making it bigger.

One day it will explode and it will be mess... but I'm not quite sure... is the fanbase or ZUN the one blowing this ballon?

what the hell... I need some sleep

>> No.1880109

>>1879477

Touhou music is sweet. The rest is pretty much faggotry.

And all this shit about the fanbase being original and all the doujin content...fuck...if you actually want to be creative then CREATE SOMETHING NEW. Don't beat the same tired horse into the ground over and over with the same lame jokes and plotlines.

TL;DR - I wish most Touhou fans and their creations didn't suck and I wish the games sucked a little less

>> No.1880115
File: 10 KB, 188x300, 1231299986176.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1880073
>But you've never gotten anywhere, Robotech guy!
Oh really? May I ask you how you've obtained that knowledge.

I've played Half-life 1 AND 2. Plus, I've read SICP twice and I've masturbated to Andrew Loomis's western /h/.

>> No.1880117

>>1880109
>And all this shit about the fanbase being original and all the doujin content...fuck...if you actually want to be creative then CREATE SOMETHING NEW. Don't beat the same tired horse into the ground over and over with the same lame jokes and plotlines.
But they are interesting and entertaining.

>> No.1880127

>>1880115
I don't see how those are related.

>> No.1880207
File: 236 KB, 450x600, 1231301096337.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1880127
>I don't see how those are related.
Here, I'll translate it for you:

>Read SICP
>Masturbated to Andrew Loomis' art work.

Meaning, both my programming and drawing skills are impeccable and my project is going to end this cancer once in for all. For all the good that comes from the Toho community, the bad out weighs the good. For example, ever since I got into Touhou I realized that Touhou was slowly dissolving all of my ideas. Every time I think of something original, a little voice appears in my head and tells me "hey, wouldn't this be cool if I replaced my original character with [insert Touhou character]." No matter what I think of it always ends up being Touhou related. I was thinking about coding a game like Xenogears with mechas, but then I said "hey, wouldn't it be cool if [inset Touhou character] was piloting a mech." Touhou restricts originality and freedom of expression.

>>
Name
Subject
Comment
Action