[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/jp/ - Otaku Culture

View post   

File: 231 KB, 556x777, 37344623_p0.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
17770064 No.17770064 [Reply] [Original]

A lot of people talk about how great of a composer ZUN is and about all the good songs from Touhou, but are there any songs do you dislike? Are there any arranges that you enjoy more than the original?

>> No.17770086
File: 1.05 MB, 1200x944, 56050862_p0.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

To me, I would say the stage one songs from EoSD and DDC are the four songs in the series I can name off the top of my head I dislike. Misty Lake sounds like a poor attempt at recreating Bad Apple, and the other three songs mainly suffer from poor instrumentation. A Soul as Red as a Ground Cherry sounds like the Mario Sunshine bonus stage to me, but it at least has some good parts with the piano. Apparitions Stalk the Night sounds like a clusterfuck of incoherent melodies and grating instruments, and Mermaid from the Uncharted Land is somehow worse.

That being said, I like the Demetori covers of the EoSD songs. They were able to make the erratic melodies a strength by using a genre that I think fits them much better than the original.

>> No.17770214

Nue's theme is the only one that stands out to me.

>> No.17770462

I really do not like listening to DDC and ISC's OSTs.

>> No.17770482

>>17770064
DDC Stage 1 and Waggy Saggy are pretty bad. I like the rest of the soundtrack though

>> No.17770563

I really dislike Wind God Girl, I actually find the melody to be extremely repetitive and kinda lame.

>> No.17773284

Flowering Night has pretty much only two motifs and the first one is so repetitive in the bgm that makes me want to stop listening before it ends the loop

>> No.17773653

I don't really like Reisen's theme, even though she's one of my favorite girls. Yet, I love https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q83NOWIsDzE..
Every single track from LoLK is really good. Except for the entire stage 2. I see poor Ringo as one of "that" tedious bosses.
Demetori's Solar Sect of Mystic Wisdom, this one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JcW1mi9Mr4E and a third track I lost a long time ago seems to sound better than the original track.

>> No.17775689

>>17770064
Lunate Elf is very meh, I get sick of it very quickly.

Ghost Lead (TD Yuyuko) is also not really a favourite despite it being the first boss theme I ever heard while actually playing the game. It manages to be both repetitive and forgettable, while also not really leading to anything (I guess that's where the name comes from).

Furthermore, the "dialogue" themes from IaMP are really boring, but I guess IaMP is just being "normal" where every fighter after had much more effort put into their dialogue themes despite for how short you hear them.

>> No.17776061

>>17770064
EoSD's stage 1 and 2 are the only ones which I would say I don't like, then the entire DDC soundtrack felt forgettable for me, as well as the entire game.

>> No.17778796

Everything past td is really meh tier and feels very uninspired compared to songs from in to ufo

>> No.17781636

Koishi's theme

>> No.17781647

>>17770064
crossboard cunts not welcome
>>>/a/

>> No.17782127

>>17781647
What makes you think he's from /a/?

>> No.17783847

Cirno's theme is a bit annoying.

>> No.17784771

>>17770064
Don't have a Touhou song I don't like.
Maybe I just have shit tastes.

>> No.17785056
File: 399 KB, 820x871, C8F0cCYUwAEeGAD.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I don't like some music tracks in PoFV. Marisa's, Cirno's and Yuuka's are the ones I can list off the top of my head. Marisa's is just excessively repetitive, Cirno's sounds like it's an arrange of the MIDI version of her EoSD theme, with much less variety compared to the other original one, and while Yuuka's theme is good, that long intro is unbearable.

I also don't like Cinderella Cage. It has an amazing intro, but then it's just annoying trumpet wailing over and over.

>> No.17785301

first 3 stage themes in EoSD
first 2 boss themes in PCB
first boss theme in TD

those are the ones i dislike in game but there are some good arranges of them. i think there are a few others that i'm forgetting.

i thought DDC music was ok but i didn't play that one too much. haven't played anything newer than that.

>> No.17788981

Yuugi theme is fucking horrible

>> No.17789018
File: 6 KB, 125x125, 90XbV8X.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>17770086
A Soul as Red as a Ground Cherry is iconic. The catchy bassline really gets players into a groove. I do agree that the hornline is a little rough though.

>> No.17789028

I can't stand Necrofantasia. It's a mystery how ZUN managed to make it so bad even though Ran's version of the theme is actually alright. Yukari only got saved by having Evening Star in IaMP.

>> No.17789200

>>17789028
I genuinely don't understand why people think Ran's version of the song is superior. It's incredibly repetitive and is missing the best part of either song which is the opening to Necrofantasia.

>> No.17789217

>>17789200
I don't really care that much for Ran's theme either, I just think it's better by default. Necrofantasia is just obnoxiously loud and I don't really understand what he was trying to accomplish when he was making it.

>> No.17789507

>>17770563
>>17773284
There are songs that I would like if they weren't so repetitive. Of the top of my head, Nuclear Fusion has a cool and powerful melody but its repetitiveness ruins it.

>>17773653
Demetori can really breathe life into otherwise forgettable songs. I don't care for Spring Path from PoFV at all, but their take on it is beautiful.

>>17776061
The second half of DDC's soundtrack is phenomenal in my eyes, but as someone in another thread said it feels more like two soundtracks taped together than one. Agree with your sentiments about the game though, I don't find it very fun to play. I have a soft spot for the characters, though.
I totally agree with your sentiments on EoSD. It was the first game I played and I was really questioning why Touhou soundtracks were so beloved until I got to stage 3. Even then, there aren't many songs I like from that game.

>>17785056
I think PoFV has a really mediocre soundtrack, and compared to other Touhou soundtracks its pretty godawful. I sort of remember Komachi and Eiki's theme being pretty good, but I don't remember them very well. Everything else is either bland or outright bad to me, except maybe Wind God's Girl but it's not even originally from this game.

>>17789018
Ironically, it's the bassline I don't like. It sounds so similar to the Sunshine doots to me that I can't take it seriously. Maybe it's because I play with the MIDI soundtrack, but I think the WAV version has worse instrument choice for everything else.

>>17789217
Listen to the Magical Astronomy version. I don't care so much for the original either, but this version is great. I do agree that PCB had too many over compressed songs, Border of Life is somehow even worse of an ear rape than Necrofantasia. Hope it gets a CD rearrange, as unlikely as it may be.

>>
Name
Subject
Comment
Action