[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/jp/ - Otaku Culture

View post   

File: 34 KB, 442x336, 1344542537422.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
17437006 No.17437006 [Reply] [Original]

What are some things you have an otaku-like knowledge about? Being an otaku isn't just mindless consumerism, but being so obsessed with something you know a bunch of minor facts no one else would care about.

Does anyone care to share some of that treasured information that they never get to speak about otherwise?

>> No.17437009

I want to like this thread because it's an interesting topic but it makes me feel awful because I can't really think of anything. Only thing I could think of is something I can't really post on this board.

>> No.17437135

>>17437006

Kenji Urada.

>> No.17437283
File: 329 KB, 600x600, d80.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>17437006
I want to know more about this image...
And I guess civilization is something I know alot about, I've been playing the series for 22 years. No amount of influence will prevent a rival special agent rank spy from staging a coup in an allied city-state, you need a spy of at least agent to have a reasonable chance of stopping it.

>> No.17437305

I'm really good at not finding anything that I care about in this world

>> No.17437402

I'm too depressed to be obsessed with anything,

>> No.17437618

I am obsessed with a person, but they started hating me for it, so I don't know how to proceed!

>> No.17437631

>>17437006
Japanese high fashion, street fashion

>> No.17437638

There are many otaku of various subjects on the jay, but most of them fit into the following categories:

Video Games(This is mine)
Touhou(not just the games)
Anime
Visual Novels/Light Novels
Idols
Japanese Culture

Of course there are more than that but I think most otaku here are otaku of those subjects. So, as an otaku among fellow otaku, there's really not much I can say that a fair amount of people here don't know. Though that isn't necessarily a bad thing.

>> No.17437648

>>17437631
I'm interested. Please tell more of whatever you care to tell us about.

>> No.17437768

Super smash brothers melee.

>> No.17437793

>>17437006
This guy and Mario 64:
https://www.youtube.com/user/pannenkoek2012/videos
https://www.youtube.com/user/pannenkeok2012

>> No.17437842
File: 335 KB, 1144x1144, liquid.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I used to be a fan of making dumb, usually fetish pictures in MMD. Sadly I don't really know a ton about the program myself, most stuff I know is just stuff I picked up from talking to a guy who was obsessed with it.

>> No.17437850
File: 98 KB, 487x877, 1466563308011.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

It's been decades since it's been more or less proven to be possible to artificially produce any reasonably stable chemical compound, including the most complex biomolecules as well as wholly unnatural ones. The difficulty in doing so cannot be understated. Imagine trying to build one of those wooden ships inside a wine bottle, except you need to assemble a few sextillion identical ships inside a bottle the size of the ocean; you have no tweezers, the only manipulations you can make is by pouring different things into the bottle; now scale the whole thing down by a factor of a billion so you can't see anything with your naked eyes.

>> No.17437896
File: 143 KB, 953x1280, F5.large[1].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>17437850
Total synthesis is a dying art due to the fact that its beauty is pretty much lost on everyone but those who are directly involved in it. The funding for the project by K C Nicolau to complete the synthesis of ciguatoxin has been cut and the project shelved, despite being well over 75% complete (pic related). Drug discovery is accomplished less and less by directed and targeted synthesis by a mastermind chemist in the light of 1) broad, automated screening of massive libraries of chemicals for biological activity, 2) the development of genetically modified bacteria to produce complex drugs on large scales, and 3) better methods of determining chemical structures by X-ray crystallography and nuclear magnetic resonance (In the past it was necessary to complete a total synthesis to be sure of a molecular structure, as the material produced piece-by-piece could be shown to have identical properties of those extracted from some biological source).

>> No.17437948

>>17437850
>>17437896
Care to tell why do you know this? Are you a student/professor who also likes knowing the history of what he studied or what

>> No.17437949

>>17437283
Do you read sullla? He lives and breathes civ. http://www.sullla.com/

>> No.17437994

>>17437793
Fascinating.
I don't know why he gets so much shit when ulillillia got so much praise for simply grinding a lot.

>> No.17438103
File: 317 KB, 676x600, reimu-glasses.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>17437006
I guess I'm a Sega otaku?
like I've scoured for all kind of stories and shit from developers and people who've worked for them, I've spent a bunch of time reading Sega's official dev manuals, that sort of thing

like, if anyone wants to know why so many Saturn games didn't have lighting at all, the Saturn doesn't perform any lighting calculations in hardware, it's all software driven (Sega provided libraries, but that was a little later)
not to mention that if you were using VDP2 palettes (read: any 256 color quad) to draw your quads instead of direct 15-bit RGB colors or with 16-color RGB lookup tables, doing "color calculation" (read: any kind of color blending at all, like gouraud shading, transparency, or just tinting the color of the whole quad without changing the palette) will break, and without color calculation, you don't get lighting
IIRC (don't quote me on this, I need to actually go test it), it technically works, but since it works on the framebuffer data as if it were RGB even though it's a palette index, it fucks up.

oh, and even if you're using RGB mode, transparency color calculation doesn't get applied to shit drawn by VDP2 anyway (but it fucks up on 4 point quads and IIRC it might fuck up on 2 point scaled sprites as well, at least downscaled ones so it's avoided, and it's supposedly six times slower according to the VDP1 manual anyway)
transparency is a mess on the machine -- it's technically supported by all the graphics chips, but there's very few terribly nice ways to use it (Burning Rangers' method is "draw everything literally twice, bits that aren't transparent are black on that pass, transfer the transparency pass to VDP2 and additively blend that over the final image" method is reliable, but slow, and you can't stack transparent objects)
VDP2 is great with transparency, but you only get a few layers. Things on VDP1 that use VDP2 for transparency clobber other quads behind them, so you see the backgrounds blended through (one of the characters in Guardian Heroes exhibits this, can't remember her name right now).

man, as much as I like the VDP2 chip, Sega really fucked up completely with actually integrating it into things
there's a damn good reason the hardware 50% mesh mode exists (dumb shit: it's not faster, despite drawing half as much of a given quad)

>>17437793
pannen's videos are magic
like, that video he did on floating point numbers is probably the best possible explanation I've seen

>> No.17438303

What do you do when you make the mistake of making your otaku interest your career, only to slowly lose interest (the community associated with my hobby has also turned into radioactive shit over the past year) and be stuck working in an industry you've come to hate? It's so draining I feel like not existing some days. Not up to purchasing my gensokyo express ticket but I'm getting there

>> No.17438344

>>17438303
What is your otaku interest?

>> No.17438384

>>17438344
Politics

>> No.17438396

>>17437850
I'm not a chemist but I'd love more taxpayer money to waste so thanks based bob.

>> No.17438438

>>17438396
Did you light a cigarette in a laboratory though

>> No.17438510

>>17437949
no but I browse civ fanatics frequently

>> No.17438838

>>17437842
Man I haven't played SK in ages.
Good picture.

>> No.17439331

>>17438384
A politics otaku, huh

>> No.17439575
File: 991 KB, 1162x1500, 96f4128a664e4d82bee0da0617704261.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Only one I can think of is cave story. I've played through the game countless times, read about the development process, learned every secret I can, and so on
Only problem is I have the worst memory possible so I can't pull tiny facts from my head at will
It sucks

>> No.17439627

I enjoy learning about languages (this doesn't mind learning the languages themselves) but I wouldn't call myself an otaku of them.

>> No.17439633
File: 90 KB, 650x910, 43730533_p0.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I'm an expert on titties

>> No.17439638

>>17439633

>>17415747

>> No.17439642

>>17439638
fuck you man I just answered the guy's question

go on, ask me about titties

>> No.17439658

>>17437006
>What are some things you have an otaku-like knowledge about?
I'm into Japanese video games in general, but 魔法少女まどかマギカ is the one thing I know everything about and love to death.
I even learned Japanese to play the games and read the untranslated stuff.
Yes it was totally worth it despite spending a few hundred hours learning.

>> No.17439701

>>17439642
Why do people associate large breasts with constantly making milk when their size has nothing to do with their milk making capacity and being full of more fat doesn't make them produce milk inherently without being or having recently been pregnant?

Why do some Japanese women have gigantic dents on the ends of their nipples, larger than what would normally be there?

What's the appeal of inverted nipples?

>> No.17439724

>>17439701
Because it's just what the conclusion you would come to naturally if you didn't know better. Breasts make milk -> Big breasts are big -> Big breasts must make a lot of milk.

Are you sure you don't just look at Japanese breasts more often than other breasts and this skewed your perception

Some people like big nipples others don't, plus some people like the idea of sucking so hard that you can make the nipple come out.

These questions seem to be more about breasts fetishists than breasts themselves.

>> No.17439762

>>17437631
I was the first reply and I wanted to post that.

>> No.17439766
File: 148 KB, 340x171, dancetm.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>17439331
Ya-huh. By that, I really do mean in the strictest sense of the world "otaku." I find (or used to find, anyway) a ton of enjoyment in highly niche topics. Trade policy is my bread and butter and I also have interests in related topics, like copyright/piracy issues and cybersecurity.

These niches used to be fairly insulated from the typical partisan dreck you will come across. There's a prohibitive level of education required to research bills up for discussion, parse committee outcomes and (if viable) try to influence a committee member or members with your research. This is usually accomplished by directly subsidizing his own staff's research efforts with your own information or outright lobbying him for changes. Pushing back against this is primarily the apathy of the committee legislators and their flunkies (who often filter what gets to a congressman or member of parliament) and the activities of other stakeholders that are personally invested in the topic.

Career paths for people with my interests generally lead to becoming a professional lobbyist, an academic researcher or a journalist. The first option requires you to be an ubernormie with zero problems in socializing, and successful academic work on policy typically requires dwarf fortress levels of autism. I tried journalism for a bit, but in the web 2.0 era no one is hiring people to write anything other than "THESE 34 PICTURES OF SLOTHS WILL RESTORE YOUR FAITH IN HUMANITY."

2016 made things even more frustrating because everyone decided they're populists now and that they hate ``the establishment'' which is typically interpreted to mean anyone with education, nuanced opinions and some influence within government. So in addition to the above you now have randos from all over the political spectrum calling you a fascist cuck whatever for having opinions that don't perfectly align with the right or left wing talking points of the day.

I'm working an internship/uni student combo at the moment but I have zero interest to pursue this further. All financial incentives in the field are pushing people to adopt the most extreme position possible, in order to attract donations and ad money from committed hyperpartisans. Educated suggestions get drowned in a sea of assholes demanding contradictory or self-destructive policies and lawmakers are more willing to listen to them since they have the most votes and donations. I've never considered myself an ideologue, I find ``````debate'''''' as it currently exists online to be useless noise, and I don't really want to get doxxed because some anonymous twitter autist disagreed with my views on import tariffs.

I know that withdrawing from my interest just gives partisans more space to shit up but, again, our media and political institutions are basically incentivizing people and parties to become more and more extreme over time. It's a lot less depressing to just work some corporate cut-out job and spend my days learning Japanese so I can translate H manga and play eroge

>> No.17439792
File: 78 KB, 405x401, 1382153998874.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>17439766
tl;dr I joined a cool MMO called "politics" ten years ago, it got popular, a bunch of fucking casuals joined and it sucks now

>> No.17439856

>>17439724
How does milk end up in the nipples?
Where is the milk itself produced?

>> No.17439868

I guess I'm a bit of a military otaku. I have a tidbit of random info that might be interesting to someone.

Back in World War II, there was a thing called "shot traps", which referred to things such as the early version Panther's gun mantlet, that, when hit at a certain point, would bounce an armor-piercing round down through the thin roof. That is why, for a long time, tank turrets usually had a full base that would taper upwards, whether it be the Soviet T-seriers tanks, which were semi-circular, or NATO ones, like the Abrams, Challenger and Leopard which had (basically) rectangular boxes as turrets.

However, with most nations adopting the Armor Piercing (Fin-Stabilized) Discarding Sabot (APDS/APFSDS) round, which did not have the same ability as the classic AP shell to bounce off of armor quite easily (and other types of rounds, such as HEAT, never did take advantage of the shot trap concept anyway) , tank designs are once again revisiting such designs like the Arrow Head shaped turret of the Leopard 2A5 and up, which provides amazingly thick, angled armor at an efficient cost.

>> No.17439895

>>17439868
Wouldn't that just incentivize militaries to carry a variety of shells to cope with the change?

>> No.17439900

>>17439895
Money problems.

Also, ammo has an expiration date, so they can't just dig up old WW2 stocks and use those (and they're mostly of a different caliber than what is being used nowadays)

>> No.17439906

>>17439642
Have you ever groped real boobs before? Serious question.

>> No.17439913

>>17439906
Not him, but I have. It's not as special as I imagined it to be.

>> No.17439921

>>17439913
Well, I was asking him specifically to either

1: Hear about the irony of a tiddie otaku never even touching them

or

2. Hear a tiddie otaku's expert opinion about what boobs actually feel like, even though we all know they feel like sands of bag.

>> No.17439925

>>17439900
>Money problems.
How prohibitive is the cost anyway? Would it just be solved with an extra $50 million slapped on to a government's defence budget?

>> No.17439938

>>17439627
Oh, I suppose I should share an interesting fact like the military guy above.

The word for "dog" in the language of the Australian Aboriginal tribe Mbabaram is "dog", pronounced almost exactly like the English word. Their language has no relation with English whatsoever.

>> No.17439940

>>17439921
>we all know
Uhhhhhhh.

>> No.17439943

>>17439925

No need.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8AevLyTR6lM

>> No.17439955

>>17439724
>These questions seem to be more about breasts fetishists than breasts themselves.
What questions are there to ask about breasts other than why people worship useless sacks of fat?

>Are you sure you don't just look at Japanese breasts more often than other breasts and this skewed your perception
No, I just notice sometimes in anime(eromanga) style art women will have these nipples with gigantic dimples on the end, and I thought it was just an anime(eromanga) thing exaggerating them, but I've seen it on Japanese women too, but like never that large on any other images of nipples from other races nor art from them. I also don't really like asians that much so I've probably seen much less asian women than other groups.

>> No.17439989

>>17437006
Dinosaurs, or so it used to be.

I think I've transitioned to having "pointless trivia" ITSELF be my 'otaku interest.' After that gameshow team I was on in highschool I just started naturally absorbing useless tidbits about anything I encountered.

>> No.17439993

>>17439989
>Dinosaurs, or so it used to be.
One of the things I miss about childhood.

>> No.17439998

>>17439925
Not exactly. Take it as a given that procuring something for army-wide use will always have its associated bureaucratic headaches, asking something of politicians for something of, so far, dubious value (next-gen armor is just now appearing with these new characteristics and it's not widespead yet) is another layer of impossible heaped on top of that.

Aside from that, as far as I know, at least, since APFSDS took the limelight, the old style of AP rounds have stopped rolling off the production lines. That means that to make new ones, not only will a design modernization be in order, it will also require the retooling of a factory, of the creation of a new one.

There's also the other path - instead adapting something new, just make upgrade your existing ones. This path is usually the cheapest, and therefore, if it is ever available, politicians will usually go for this.

>> No.17440005

>>17439993
I still have an interest in 'em, I just can't keep up anymore.

Paleontology is a surprisingly fast-paced field. The term "dinosaur" itself might be obsolete soon, for all I know.

>> No.17440015

>>17440005
>>17439993
>>17439989
>Dinosaurs, or so it used to be.
I died a little when they announced the T-Rex might have had feathers and a ridiculous nose.

>> No.17440033

>>17439943
Great when you're sending a volunteer/conscript wearing tennis shoes and a few hundred dollars of equipment to do it, but what about a NATO troop with several thousand dollars of equipment and training?

>> No.17440038

>>17440015
Eh, I can see a T.Rex with a lion-like mane made of feathers. Pretty neat.

>> No.17440049

>>17440033
Seems like something you could build a cheap drone to do.

>> No.17440055

>>17440033
But >>17439943 does make a valid point, if you read into his post like I did.

Most conflicts nowadays are assymetric, guerilla type anyway. What most nations do, building large tank armies, thousands of conscripts with nice AKs, newfangled AA systems and tank-killing missiles, just amount to street theater.

Chances are, we have seen the last big war against big guys ever, and it'll never happen again (and if it does, it'll go nuclear, so none of it even matters).

That therefore fuels nations, especially the US and Russia to gear their military towards more efficiently kicking the asses of illiterate peasants armed with granddaddy's AK.

So you see entries that are highly unconventional when you think about the Fulda Gap: Humvees with a ton's worth of mesh strung around it, superheavy APCs like the Israeli Namer(? I might have gottent he name wrong) and the Russian Terminator.

Each country also made their rather unique solutions for urban fighting. For example the US specialized itself in precision bombs which only take out the target and a few nearby buildings, while the Russians specialized in varying sizes of thermobaric weapons, which *may* take out the target and (depending on its size), the rest of the building, or the rest of the block.

>> No.17440056

>>17439998
>Aside from that, as far as I know, at least, since APFSDS took the limelight, the old style of AP rounds have stopped rolling off the production lines. That means that to make new ones, not only will a design modernization be in order, it will also require the retooling of a factory, of the creation of a new one.
Ah, I see now.

>politicians will usually go for this.
Usually being the operative word here. Although yeah, for anything that isn't a major flagship purchase some deputy minister or assistant secretary is 99% of the time going to go for it.

> asking something of politicians for something of, so far, dubious value (next-gen armor is just now appearing with these new characteristics and it's not widespead yet) is another layer of impossible heaped on top of that
That hasn't stopped the F-35 from devouring millions :^)

>> No.17440073

>>17440055
>But >>17439943 does make a valid point, if you read into his post like I did.
I know, I'm honestly just hashing this out. I finding it really interesting just investigating the topic.

>street theater
From a political and propaganda standpoint, theatre is super important to any administration trying to publicly prove that it's taking care of the armed forces.

>> No.17440078

>>17440056
Ah the F-35. That's a different story altogether. The think about it is, it's *value* came out of the lucrative deals that it generated between the involved senators, congressmen and, of course, Lockheed-Martin (itself filled with retired generals liaising with the government for big ticket projects). If you think about it in this, admittedly cynical way, there was a lot of "value" int he F-35 for the politicians.

That said, I don't really like to go about kicking the F-35 that much (which is like the exact opposite of overrated, if you know what I mean). I mean it has its obvious flaws, the biggest being the huge budget overrun (which is, of course, a planned feature intentionally made by everyone involved in the project - so, from that perspective, you could say it was a resounding success), but as a weapons platform, it's pretty decent in what it's supposed to be doing, being a stealthy fighter-bomber.

That is, it can never be as good as, say he F-22 raptor when it comes to air superiority, or, as good as the A-10 when it comes to close air-support. But that wasn't the point. It was supposed to be an in-betweener, and as an in-betweener, it's pretty decent.

That said, whoever decided that the A-10 should be shelved because "the F-35 could replace it" is a massive idiot, or a massively corrupt idiot.

>> No.17440092

>>17440073
>I know, I'm honestly just hashing this out. I finding it really interesting just investigating the topic.
Me too. I sometimes find myself browsing wikipedia, re-reading entries on these stuff *for fun*.

>> No.17440140
File: 785 KB, 1980x1400, rei.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>17440033

Milan + Toyata = Disaster for The Colonel.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_War

>> No.17440143

There is not a single topic in which I have "otaku-level" knowledge because I have no deep interests.

I know a lot about history, law, imageboards, and a number of individual franchises, but nothing anyone couldn't look up.

>> No.17440153

>>17440143
I think the difference is that you *did* like them up, so you know things at the top of your head that most people would need to google 2 minutes for.

That what I am, at least.

>> No.17440158

>>17440078
Interesting!

I should have noted that I was referring to my own government's (Canada) aborted efforts to procure the F-35 to replace our CF-18s. I don't even know why we really need jet fighters except for political purposes and to pretend to meet our NATO commitments.

>> No.17440159
File: 1015 KB, 1980x1417, sdmcast.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>17440140

Better description of tactics.

http://www.nytimes.com/1987/08/14/world/chadians-describe-victory-in-desert.html

>> No.17440165

>>17440153
There are entire wikis I've read practically every line of, but that's not still "otaku level." That's just a fan. An otaku is someone who dedicates his life to the pursuit of something.

>> No.17440185

>>17440158
Likely political pressure. The thing about the F-35 is, the way it was marketed and planned was to use the "economy of scale" to reduce individual plane cost by sheer size of order. That meant that America, unlike the the F-22, which it hoarded for itself, needed to sell the F-35 to as many people as possible or it'll make each plane too expensive (even for America, which is saying something). It just strikes me as a logical next step for America to arm twist its allies if necessary, specifically Canada, Australia and Britain, to buy the jets to this end.

>>17440165
Well if that's your definition, I'm not an otaku of anything at all.

>> No.17440186

>>17437638
>Japanese Culture
Could you (or anyone else) explain how the sensibility for aesthetics developed? It's very odd to see that even in obscure rural towns, the architecture is very well put-together, and in almost all cultural output there's a general standard for style which doesn't exist in the U.S. There's also the huge differences in mannerisms from S.Korea despite them being close neighbors.

Is it the Buddhism/Shinto fusion, or something else?

>> No.17440200

Coins, especially American, British and British colonial coins from the 18th century to the mid 20th century.

>> No.17440202

>>17440185
>I'm not an otaku of anything at all.
Most people aren't.

Well, maybe my standards are too high, but I think that something does not really rise to the level of being "otaku" unless it is truly an obsession.

>> No.17440205

>>17440159
I like how freeform these local wars play out. I fondly remember watching a video where Al-Nusra stormed some village in Syria riding some ATVs and it looked like tons of fun.

>> No.17440255

>>17440185
>Well if that's your definition, I'm not an otaku of anything at all.
Conversely, I do fit the definition (I'm the political otaku as described in >>17439766) and the end result had made me utterly miserable.

>Likely political pressure.
Up here the pressure was primarily internal though, since it was a pet project of the previous Conservative government. The U.S. has always been pressuring Canada to spend more on defence and my government has traditionally responded by staring out the window and saying "MAN IT SURE WOULD BE UNFORTUNATE IF THE RUSSIANS DECIDED TO USE CANADA AS A BEACHHEAD FOR A U.S. INVASION."

Whenever we do spend big on hardware it's usually because the government and military wanted to play catch-up with the U.S.

>> No.17440270
File: 597 KB, 1200x862, DA ZE.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>17440205

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/the_gist/2003/08/scare_tactics.html

In terms of insanity Liberia takes the cake. Prince Yormie would ride around the battlefield in a command jeep painted like a can of Budweiser. Said jeep was also filled with cases of Budweiser which he would swill while shooting at his own men and screaming "WHAT IN DE HELL ARE YOU DOING?" when they ducked for cover.

This expertise and experience has helped him vastly in his current position of Senior Senator in Liberia.

He also had a thing for forcing opponents to eat their own ears. And videotaping it. And videotaping himself videotaping it. While drinking Budweiser.

While wearing a Budweiser T-shirt.

This actually happened btw.

>> No.17440281

>>17440270
Oh, now I know where that hilarious image of the african man wearing a wedding gown while brandishing an AK came from.

Funky

>> No.17440304

>>17440270
I was surprised when I learnt that General Butt-Fucking Naked from the Book of Mormon musical was based on a real guy.

>> No.17440320
File: 179 KB, 877x484, lol.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>17440281

This was routine until they tried it on the Marines of 22d MEU guarding the US Ambassador's residence in Monrovia and promptly got shot in the face.

>> No.17440329

>>17440304

Yeah Butt Naked, Prince of Darkness Yormie, Jungle Jabbah et al were very real and very odd guys.

>> No.17440363
File: 17 KB, 312x400, 6d9658a668687e706ab951e15537860c--weymouth-alternative-music.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I'm in the process of becoming a Talking Heads otaku.

>> No.17440471

>>17440056
It's moot since tank battles are a thing of the past now anyways. If you are a modern national army and your armor is engaging enemy armor with any significant frequency, then you've already lost the logistical battle and failed to establish air superiority, meaning the operation, and possibly the entire campaign, is already lost.

>> No.17440496

>>17440471
I think that's a very American kind of thinking - relying on air superiority. An armed forces should be flexible enough to operate in and out of any advantage or disadvantage. Ideally, of course, this is not really practically possible. Armies will tend to specialize.

>> No.17440723
File: 78 KB, 736x943, flat.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I am a warfare otaku.
I have wonderful dreams of taiko drum marches and A6M flyovers.

>> No.17440752

>>17440723
What era of warfare is your favorite?

>> No.17440806

>>17437283
I recently download Civ 5 and I cant figure out how to play it. I like and played strategy games like Vantage Master so I hope I dont drop it because it takes too much time learning it.

>> No.17441948

>>17440806
Civ V is trash. Play III or IV instead.

>> No.17441974

>>17437648
Well my focus has been the ura harajuku movement that started basically with friends from Bunka Fashion college the three most prominent figures being Nigo of the eponymous brand a bathing ape, Jun Takahashi of Undercover , and Hiroshi Fujiwara of goodenough considered the godfather of streetwear. Hiroshi started as a disc jockey and was a part of the stussy tribe, Nigo was also a disc jockey and friends with Jun Takahashi they started Nowhere, a store that sold early undercover and vintage curated clothing, eventually Nigo sold first bathing ape pieces with Sk8thing a graphic designer who has gone on to work for billionare boys club, bape, and along with toby feltwell on Cav empt. One of my Favorite brands Bounty Hunter was started by Hikaru Iwanaga , bounty hunter started the vinyl figure craze with their first ever vinyl kid hunter, they also produced figures with the famous frank kozik. Jun Takahashi and Hiroshi Fujiwara were very much into punk rock and Vivienne westwood's brand seditionaries as they amassed maybe the largest collection of the garments. Jun Takahashi was even in a cover band, the tokyo sex pistols.

>> No.17442228

>>17437006
Chan-culture. I like going on obscure chans and looking through their content. I also love going through the archive sometimes to look at old threads, especially old threads from /jp/.I love chan-created characters and culture, especially nijiura maids and OS-tans.

>> No.17442507

>>17439766
This has never not been true in the entirety of civilisation. Sounds to me you're not as educated as you thought.

>> No.17442522

>>17440078
What's the deal with the Osprey crashes? There have been 12 of them since the start of the year. The current claim is errors made by overworked crew, but could it be simply bad design and lack of funds to modify or replace them?

>> No.17442571

>>17440186
Harsh landscape with frequent natural disasters and limited resources forced them to make the absolute most out of every single scrap they could possibly get their hands on. Isolationism meant they never had to deal with the massive campaigns and destruction of other empires, allowing them to have almost uninterrupted cultural development; yet they still learned from the mistakes of their neighbors, like the absolute ban on opium after seeing how it ruined China.

>> No.17442621

I'm a dick otaku.

>> No.17442645

>>17442571
>almost uninterrupted cultural development
What's the significance of this? Of course, the country's culture became more unique, but I'm not sure whether that's a contributing factor or the main thing reason it. As in, was the Japan of 1000 or 1500 years ago much more similar to the rest of Asia, or were the same traits evident back then?

>> No.17442673

>>17437006
A Paranormal/Conspiracy Otaku, along with some other topics.

>> No.17442933
File: 490 KB, 1134x1400, __oikawa_shizuku_idolmaster_and_idolmaster_cinderella_girls_drawn_by_ebinera__fadb4041c60deb33c92eab04fc27aa5f.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>17442507
>Sounds to me you're not as educated as you thought.
It's a shame I'm only coming to this realization now.

>> No.17442991

>>17437006
Probably Touhou, for real. I'm currently making a collection featuring a portrait off all characters, made by amateurs artists in conventions, each one with a note by myself on who they are. This requires to know the name of all characters, their look, their backgrounds, even for the minor ones. Did you heard about Rengeteki by the way ?

>> No.17443125

>>17442991
>Did you heard about Rengeteki by the way ?

I think that's a PC-98 midboss but I'm not too sure.

>> No.17443645

>>17442645
He's making shit up. For most of history Japan was just a worthless island backwater nobody cared to invade, which insulated it to an extent from political forces on the continent and allowed some social and cultural experiments to go unchecked, while still being close enough to recieve heavy continental influence. Same exact deal as England. Isolationism as an ideology was short-lived and Japan is actually quite remarkable for having a very archaic and unmodern culture that changed relatively little before the 19th Century, making the rapid strides during their modernization all the more impressive.

>> No.17443750

I am working on my own 3d engine, and have amassed quite a bit of knowledge on this subject.
Although I guess everyone who works professionally in this area is pretty knowledgeable about this subject, so I don't understand if it could count as otaku-like knowledge (whatever this means).
Apart from this I enjoy thinking about programming and fringe computing. Too bad that there aren't a lot of places where talking about this is enjoyable.
A wish of mine is for risc-V to become popular and someone to develop a foss graphics extension for it, so that I can design my own hardware.

>>17438103
very interesting, do you have any links about this you could share?
I have become recently interested in older 3d engines and hardware and such, even though the knowledge is pretty useless to me

>> No.17443816

>>17437006
Probably Touhou, for real. I'm currently making a collection featuring a portrait off all characters, made by amateurs artists in conventions, each one with a note by myself on who they are. This requires to know the name of all characters, their look, their backgrounds, even for the minor ones. Did you heard about Rengeteki by the way ?

>> No.17443870

>>17437006
Unfortunately, my obsessive interests are super specific and not related to /jp/.

>> No.17444365

>>17443816
>This requires to know the name of all characters, their look, their backgrounds, even for the minor ones
this is pretty normal, going through all the minor characters isn't that much more

>> No.17444494

>>17442522
I don't know much about it, but just by looking at it, it never looked to me to be a very reliable design. Sci-fi looking things like that rotating wing on the Osprey are usually very difficult to square with a robust design needed to make a flying anything. This is a similar problem that has haunted all VTOL aircraft, starting from the harrier, to the Yak-130 (hope I got the name right), which the Russians wisely shelved, and recently the F-35.

>> No.17444564

>>17443816
Why did you make the same post twice?>>17442991

>> No.17444641

>>17443870
Neither are most of the otakus in this thread. Tell us anyways, my dear anon.

>> No.17444652

>>17440806
Civ vanilla games are always bad. Torrent 3 or 4 + expacs or wait for 5's expansions.

>> No.17444678

>>17444652
Civ 5 already has all the expansions it will ever get, though.

>>17440806
More to point, mod your game to get the "real" experience. I recommend Vox Populi as a baseline improvement over the vanilla+expanded game, before you branch off into other mods that improve a specific thing.

>> No.17444849

>>17443750
>working on my 3D engine
Curious, what kind of background knowledge did you start with when developing this? If you are learning independently, how are you doing it? I want to get into graphics programming but I don't know where to start. I'm confident that I have enough math and programming ability to begin but the part about what to start developing first (as a learning project) is confusing me.

>> No.17445037

>>17444849
If you already know how to program, then beginner tutorials for opengl are a start
https://learnopengl.com/
http://ogldev.atspace.co.uk/index.html
These ones are pretty alright I guess, although basing a whole engine of it would be a bit too slow.
The foundations are still the same, you will just have to be clever about which things are done often and optimize for them.
This talk https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rX0ItVEVjHc is a very very good introduction into the kind of thinking that is necessary to make everything run good.
Also just get used to reading the opengl official specification and wikis and such.
They have been more useful for me than any tutorial: https://www.khronos.org/opengl/wiki/
Remember that the more draw calls you do, the shittier will your performance be.
Batch everything, don't do one call for one object. I tell you this, because a lot of tutorials fail to inform you about this.
If you want to do this for games then studying the quake3 engine is a good thing to do.
Here is a good article about that: http://fabiensanglard.net/quake3/index.php
The rendering part of quake3 is useless to know about though, since nobody uses those techniques anymore (apart from standard rendering).
The general design is still very reasonable though.
When you have reached a sufficient level of understanding about the core concepts, meaning you know all your transformations, how to interface with the gpu, and such, then you can start looking for interesting articles and talks.
Siggraph is a pretty good source. As are presentations by game companies. gpu gems are good too.
Learn about the trends happening, since compared to a lot of other CS and programming topics, things (often) trend because they are relatively needed in graphics.
Deferred shading for example is used in nearly everything, but forward+ (as it is sometimes called) is going to become a lot bigger (it is also what I favor, and as such my engine will make use of it.)
As for shaders, there are a lot of resources, and a lot of stuff you can do in them. https://www.shadertoy.com/ is a good place to discover some things I think.
But I am not very deep into shaders apart from the common things.
I think that's it for an introduction. My background is basically just as a CS Student with free time and interest in 3D graphics.

>> No.17445124

I'm basically an anime otaku. I don't exactly memorize facts and figures though, I'm more interested in like the overall structure of the medium over time, the art of anime directing/writing/etc, and critical analysis of specific titles. Some people might say I don't count as an otaku though since I don't really specifically try and memorize the more specific trivia type stuff (though I do know a lot of it anyways). Either way I'm pretty obsessive about it and at the very least take it more seriously than all the "ironic" anime fans that are so common nowadays.

>> No.17445131

>>17445124
Tell us something interesting about anime that an otaku like you would know but your average weeb normally wouldn't.

>> No.17445297

>>17445131

Well like I said, I'm more interested in critical analysis than "did you know x", but lets see. I don't know if most people already know this but Akiyuki Shinbo's somewhat iconic style can be traced back to way before he directed stuff like Bakemonogatari. The Soultaker, an anime from 2001, was his third experience as a director but it really shows off the directorial techniques and artstyles he'd later become known for while directing Shaft shows in the mid 2000s, so much so that there are shots in The Soultaker that actually look directly like they were used as a basis for later scenes he directed in stuff like Bakemonogatari (one example that comes to mind is a scene in which Komugi feeds the main character a strawberry). The Soultaker is much more rough and experimental than his later stuff though, you can see that he was sort of given free reign and perhaps went too far with his artsy ambitions (though I still like the show, especially the ending which has a really strong climax, plus JAM did the OP and it's super catchy and great). You can see his style evolve over time as he directed stuff like Nanoha, Hidamari Sketch, and Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei, though it's less that it developed and more that he learned to sort of temper it and use it more effectively. In essence I feel like a lot of the techniques he used in the early 2010s with stuff like Madoka aren't that much different than the stuff he did in The Soultaker, just more controlled and focused. I do think that recently he's really been making new strides though, Sangatsu no Lion is one of my favorite recent shows and while it has very artistic segments it avoids some of his more overused stylistic stuff.

Incidentally The Soultaker also spawned the spinoff show Nurse Witch Komugi Chan, which became quite popular (I would hope people on /jp/ know Nurse Witch Komugi Chan but I wouldn't bet on your average weeaboo knowing) and helped boost Haruko Momoi's (Komugi's VA) career as a VA/musician. She later became one half of Under17, a foundational and influential denpa song group that did a lot of music for eroge and anime in the early 2000s. Interesting how things work out like that.

>> No.17445328

>>17445297
>The Soultaker, an anime from 2001, was his third experience as a director but it really shows off the directorial techniques and artstyles he'd later become known for while directing Shaft shows in the mid 2000s, so much so that there are shots in The Soultaker that actually look directly like they were used as a basis for later scenes he directed in stuff like Bakemonogatari.
I've thought this too, and not just because both have art based on Poyoyon Rock. I also really hate both of them. Possibly for similar reasons.
I really like Nurse Witch Komugi though, so at least Soultaker's existence is justified. The scene with Yuuno at the beginning of Nanoha is extremely Soultaker/Shinbo-esque too but I sort of like it for that.

I don't think most of what you said is too special actually, but then I'm a fan of both Poyoyon and Momoi, so it might just be an intersection of interests.

>> No.17445370
File: 13 KB, 190x223, worriedskeleton.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I just realized I'm not really an otaku in any subject, I'm more of a jack-of-all-trades kind of guy.

>> No.17445385

>>17445328

I mean I'm not gonna claim I know the "rarest facts" or anything, but I at least have general knowledge about a fairly wide swath of the medium and continually seek out more. I've seen about 600ish series probably, not a huge huge amount but more than the majority of people that watch anime.

Also yeah it's just Nurse Witch Komugi, I forgot that "chan" isn't part of the actual title, my bad. I really like Komugi (and Momoi) a lot too so that's a little embarrassing.

>> No.17445390

>>17445370
you and everyone else in the world

>> No.17445393

I am a huge gardening and baking otaku. Shame I can't find people who share my interests other than old ladies.

>> No.17445401

>>17445393
Can't you get along with old ladies? The ones I know seem terribly nice.

>> No.17445424

>>17445401
I don't like nice people. It makes me uncomfortable.

>> No.17445432

>>17445424
Well fuck you then

>> No.17445443
File: 135 KB, 500x702, tumblr_m21u2z1nt61qludd4o1_500.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>17445393
I like those things too, but I don't really do them much myself. I help my mother in the garden when it's the right season for it, she'll often ask for help in moving bags of dirt or rocks, or breaking up clay to plant things. Baking and cooking I do less often but I enjoy more.

>>17441974
What are your favorite brands, in terms of both 'streetwear' - I dislike that term - and runway? I'll post a few rare, old Cav Empt images. I own this jacket from their first season.

>> No.17445450
File: 33 KB, 250x375, tumblr_m0ppadlOoF1qludd4o2_400.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>17445443
I own this jacket too but I rarely have the opportunity to wear it.

>> No.17445453
File: 173 KB, 500x316, tumblr_lnjlop1AzW1qludd4o1_500.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>17445450
Last one, I don't want to take up too much space in the thread. Here's a visual depiction of every item they've released as of the release of the Owner's Manual last year - http://imgur.com/a/dooVV

>> No.17445474

>>17445385
>Also yeah it's just Nurse Witch Komugi, I forgot that "chan" isn't part of the actual title
I am pretty sure its full name is something like Nurse Witch Komugi-chan Magikarte( Z, for the sequel)
I actually have the (USA region) DVDs to it. Shame they don't have any extras like the Puni Puni Poemi DVD, but then that didn't have much either.(I still like the reversible dvd cover on it though)

>> No.17445497

>>17445474

Oh I just looked it up and there's just a difference between the English and Japanese titles. In Japanese it's Nurse Witch Komugi-chan Magikarte and in the US it's just Nurse Witch Komugi. The sequel has the same title for both releases though (Nurse Witch Komugi-Chan Magikarte Z), maybe that's why I was confused.
As an aside I was so disappointed with the new one that came out a year or two ago, I barely even made it through the first episode. Such a shame, would've been pretty cool if they actually went for the same early 2000s Akiba culture vibe.

What extras came with the Puni Puni Poemi DVD?

>> No.17445532

>>17444564
Network error the first time, though it didn't delivered. I'll delete one of them.

>> No.17445533
File: 38 KB, 393x500, puni-puni-poemy-vol-1-dvd-2004-reversible-cover-69b193065b732bd5eb4900c38ff13c55.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>17445497
Just a poster with some story about the anime's creation on the back, a little badge, and a DVD cover with different images on each side, so you can pull it out and reverse it. Nothing to really write home about.

Here's a picture of the badge from the internet

>> No.17445538

>>17444365
But having a portrait of all of them is pretty expensive I think. Good luck for that.

>> No.17445555 [DELETED] 

>>17445297
Hi Digibro

Done the rest of your Shinbo series yet?

>> No.17445563 [DELETED] 

>>17445555

I have no idea who Digibro is, sorry

>> No.17445569 [DELETED] 

>>17445555
Why didn't anyone into any of the other interests in this thread get accused of being the most popular e-celeb loosely affiliated with the topic?

>> No.17445586 [DELETED] 

>>17445569
Only /a/ and /v/ care about stuff like that and that's the first guy that talked about /a/ stuff.

>> No.17445611 [DELETED] 

>>17445586
Anime directors = /a/ = digibro is a fundamentally stupid chain of logic. /a/ doesn't actually care about either of them.

>> No.17445973
File: 137 KB, 1000x600, 1495420575874.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I genereally have two big interests aside from japan (sincs that's my secondary field of study). The first is warfare, every era and nation. And the other is different kind of wild plants. Not nature, just the plants.

War might be because I come from a long lineage of soldiers. I live in a really rural area of Europe, and there are tons of different kind of wild plants, and I loved drawing and categorizing them since my childhood.

>> No.17446013

>>17445973
What's it like to see the plant world as more than "grass", "flower", "bush", "plant", "cactus" and "tree"?

>> No.17446030

>>17446013
Really interesting. Imagine it the same as you see the animes different. Or how you see more in idols and such. Now I really wonder if there is such like shit taste in wild plants.

>> No.17446043

>>17446030
>such like shit taste in wild plants.
People who don't like dandelions have shit taste.

>> No.17446112
File: 86 KB, 540x653, 8F4657A2-73B8-4D8F-BC44-CBD42C0AB741-5694-0000055BB1C525F7.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Design, though more specifically typography. It's a very specialized field, so there's a lot of weird trivia to soak up like typefaces, designers, processes, and foundries. Seeing the legacy of some designs persist or get revived is interesting when you identify type anatomies with certain eras or places. Been getting more into CJK typefaces over the past few years too and picking apart things like anime logotypes and branding since that stuff can be quite esoteric compared to how sterile a lot of corporate design has gotten. There's some literature on that front from a few doujin circles, but you can learn a lot stalking designers in the industry on Twitter to see who worked on what.

Attached image is Logo Jr from VDL, used in the Minami-ke logo and a recent favorite of mine. Has a Bauhaus style thing going for it.

>> No.17446128

>>17446043
>dandelions
You're plantfu a shit. Conflower a cute.
Now to think about it, there is that one DMM flash game, where the plants are girls.

>> No.17446561

>>17445124
>>17352995
>>/jp/thread/S17298

>> No.17447221

>>17437006
Naval operations in the Pacific theatre during WWII, the old SquareSoft shooter Einhander, the Stalker FPS games, nuclear reactor designs (no, American-style ones can't blow up), and ethical philosophy (I met Peter Singer in person, he's the real deal. It felt like meeting Buddha or something).

>> No.17448538

Lots of war otakus in /jp/ it seems.

>> No.17449874

East Germany ( got kicked off after watching Monster), genocide ( specifically rwanda), dolls and miniatures

>> No.17452445
File: 63 KB, 700x554, semple-tank.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

The T-35 was terrible tank, Kiwis can make tanks out roof steel (pic related), and alot of other stuff related to armored vehicles.

>> No.17452710

>>17452445
Is that a killdozer?

>> No.17452990

>>17445124
I'm pretty much the same. Anime more than anything else (aside from maybe porn) is my "obsession," but I'm not one to memorize useless trivia. I've thought about Eva alone for countless hours and I talk to myself in my head about it like I'm having a discussion with an invisible person. It's just one of those things that leaves itself open to infinite interpretation and revisiting, I think, so I keep ending up there.

The most "otaku" thing I can do is recognize a key animator based on his style (and a lot of guesswork), but that's rare and I rarely remember names; instead I'll go "oh that guy who animated that one fight in X." I don't consider myself an otaku anyway. I think it's pointless and can detract from liking the things you like.

>>17445297
>I don't know if most people already know this but Akiyuki Shinbo's somewhat iconic style can be traced back to way before he directed stuff like Bakemonogatari
He's been working and refining that style over a decade now and it's funny because you can trace its development and see the "head tilt" in something like older like Tsukiyomi: Moon Phase. As a general thing I actually say his "style" is heavily inspired by Anno/Tsurumaki's work on Kare Kano, most notably composition, framing/blocking, and use of mixed media. Maybe stuff like super close-up shots too, but I forget. Considering how SHAFT co-produced some shows with Gainax I wouldn't be surprised if the staff worked together like that.

>>17445328
> I'm a fan of both Poyoyon and Momoi,
It's insane that a thread like this has brought out people so similar to me...

>> No.17453373

Fetishes, counterfeiting, prostitution in Thailand, the USSR.

>> No.17453706

>>17445037
Hey faget, I'm also doing the exact same stuff, show me your best shader

>> No.17454488
File: 63 KB, 630x800, 1490011974017.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>17437006
Godzilla, Kamen Rider, and I suppose Kemono Friends now.

>> No.17454600

>>17445037
I'm also a CS student with plenty of free time but I've only spent that on uhh.. touhou stuff. Thanks for the info, finally have something useful to work on.

>> No.17454676

>>17437006
On every standard shipping container, it's ridiculously easy to get access to them even if they're locked. There are two spots on the door hinges and clatch that if you cut with a saw or torch, will allow the door to open.

>> No.17455079

I'm a mango otaku. To get the best and ripest mango, there are 3 things you need to look out for.

First, the color. The more vivid the yellow, the better. You should watch out for the black spots, though. Those also grow the riper the mango is (or if the mango is mishandled - in which case you shouldn't buy it anyway)

Second, you should feel the mango and squeeze it a bit. It should give, but only slightly. If it's hard, its still unripe (and usually green).

Lastly, the smell should be mangoey, but you should only be able to smell it if you bring your nose very close to the skin. If you can smell it from afar, the mango might be bruised or overripe. If you can't smell it at all, or it still smells sour or not mangoey, it's still unripe.

>> No.17455954

>>17452445

Whenever I see armor like this I am amazed the crews didn't die just from being inside these abominations.

>> No.17456186

>>17455954
Believe me, so did the crew. Most of old tanks did not even have separate compartments for the crew and engine, so carbon monoxide poisoning was very common.

>> No.17456698

>>17437006
Fetishes and tabletop games. I'd say a few other things, but I don't think my knowledge on japanese stuff matches the other posters.

>> No.17456822

If you want to check the bore on a firearm, here's an easy trick.

Get a piece of white paper and hold it up into the breech of the firearm. Tilt it towards a light source. Then look down the barrel.

>> No.17456910

I don't know. It's hard to present myself as an "x" otaku, because there's that chance that someone will ask me something I don't know or someone else who is a REAL "x" otaku will shit on me with their knowledge.
Well, the one thing I can think of that I really put serious time into has been roleplaying games. Not MMORPGS, not D&D, but just video games with servers that host a roleplaying game type. Developing a character, getting contacts with people to join guilds/factions/whatever, and most of all, bending the rules and doing what I want without getting banned. That includes shit like metagaming, deathmatching, avoiding evidence collection for reports, manipulating the roleplay to make it look like I'm following the rules when I'm not, playing admins, stuff like that.
I'm a good roleplayer, serious when I want to. But following the rules in these tight-ass' servers is only fun for a little while. That's why it's fun to do what I do. Gaming the game. It's a pretty lame otaku field and I can't really talk to many people about it, most of my friends were the reason I played after a couple of years and they all dropped off/got banned and it's been like that ever since.

>> No.17457738

Interesting thread, anon chan. I'd say mine is for retro Japanese video games. I also know a lot about game development.

>> No.17457998
File: 101 KB, 782x634, C-Za_ylU0AELznv.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I've got an obsession with a cosplay group. Right off the bat that's pretty specific and obscure so naturally barely anyone else knows about it in spite of how they're pretty well known in Japan.

I wish I could learn still more about them since there's a lot of info on them in Japanese but, well, I can't read Japanese fluently yet. I do however have a solid grasp on their history, their international branches, their equipment rules, can tell apart most members by some of their more distinct features, and have tried to make some of this information available to others in English (although pretty much nobody has really had any use of it and not many people even care.)

Because the rules for sub-branches are so loosely defined both because of language barriers and lack of care from HQ's part, non-Japanese members (including myself) are simultaneously part and yet not part of the group. Sure, you're by all means allowed to wear their uniform and you are officially recognized by HQ as an extension of the main branch, but you're hardly going to get mentioned outside of "we have international members." In addition, each international branch is essentially independent and even though there are general rules that everyone is meant to follow, in practice HQ doesn't really care if you do or don't follow said rules if you're not part of the main branch.

I'm also really not a big fan of their recent idea of starting a band and how much attention HQ gives to anything related to it.
The singer is awful, the songs sound generic, the lyrics feel empty and forced.
Wish they would put their effort into something else instead.

>> No.17458996

>>17455079
Would you say that if you pushed on the tip of your nose, that's the optimal resistance of a perfectly ripe mango?

>> No.17459767

>>17437006
Touhou Style music composition and imitation
It's a thing i've been obsessed with for years, i have all the hardware and software ZUN used until Touhou 16 (i still need to analyse the instruments of the new songs)

>> No.17459895

Hikikomori.
I've read tons of sociology and psychology books about the matter, watched tons anime, read tons of manga with hikikomori characters, even the most marginals ones, spent days reading hikikomori's posts on western image boards and 2ch

>> No.17460877

An otaku otaku.
I like looking at the stereotypical lifestyle of an archetypal otaku, whether they're painted in a negative or positive light. Especially from the 80's-early 00's, before the term became too known in the west. If you can find it, I reccomend the 1994 French documentary simply called "Otaku"

>> No.17462646
File: 57 KB, 960x540, Sonic_and_Mario.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I tend to research a considerable ammount of information of pretty much everything i like, but i suposse the thing i have otaku knowledge about is Super Smash Bros, i know a lot of facts about it's development, how the game structure works and more stuff no one cares about, it has helped me on some ways but yeah, i also know a lot about the Sonic games.

>> No.17464939

>>17459895
>I've read tons of sociology and psychology books about the matter
Would you mind sharing some? I don't really know what to read so I just search "引きこもり pdf"and read the most interesting studies I can find.

>> No.17466014

I wouldn't consider myself a military otaku but I am heaps better at identifying military vehicles than my peers.

So many people can't tell the difference between a Leopard 2A5 and M1 Abrams. Let alone more obscure stuff like a BMP vs a BMD.

And I'm in the army.

>> No.17466112

I'm thinking of getting into cosplay...

>> No.17466160
File: 1.45 MB, 1699x1133, 20161016133524b27.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I pinned this thread in hope of sharing -hopelessly staring at it gain traction and gathered nothing interesting about being an Otaku to share here

>> No.17470570

>>17466014
Do you often come across people who refer to APCs as tanks?

>> No.17470718
File: 65 KB, 316x286, 1488141827705.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I am not an otaku of anything because I suck at everything and have no motivation to do shit.

>> No.17471789

>>17470570
Not him, but I doubt he said that. Just that people can't tell the difference between vehicles in the same or similar class.
Although if you're too lazy to even learn the different classes I suppose you could just refer to it all as ``enemy armor.''
I don't know much about military vehicles though.

>> No.17472046
File: 307 KB, 614x915, 1932949.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I am a Mathematician.

>> No.17472131

>>17472046
This thread is about otaku, not autism sufferers

>> No.17472181
File: 1.24 MB, 784x1008, 1458128230218.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>17472131
Is there even a difference?

>> No.17472206 [DELETED] 

>>17472131
Autism is common among the former, but the latter does not automatically make you the former

>> No.17475844

Military guys were expected I guess, but kind of strange there's no train guys here.

>> No.17476371
File: 57 KB, 500x640, mecha.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I used to be a mecha otaku. I knew a lot of trivia about mechs from various series, and kept a list of my favourites. I especially loved mecha musume, and built up a bit of a collection of images of them. I've forgotten a lot of what I used to know, unfortunately, and these days it's not really an obsession anymore.

>> No.17476387

>>17472046
Is there a way I can learn - understand, not memorize a method to use on an exam - maths without having to grind equations?

>> No.17476549

>>17442228
What a disgusting post.

>> No.17477200

>>17475844
>Military guys were expected I guess, but kind of strange there's no train guys here.
Why do you say that

>> No.17477220

Guns, specifically the AR platform. I spent so much time tinkering with various builds and troubleshooting them that it just kind of stuck. Funny thing is I don't even really like ARs that much, but forced myself to learn a lot while trying to get various SBR builds to run well with a can. Seems like a huge waste of money now.

>> No.17477455 [DELETED] 

>>17437006
https://youtu.be/IeE-nrWJLjk

>> No.17477573

>>17477200
>Why do you say that
Because train otaku are pretty common? There's even that thread for those that watched that train station and there's a whole board for trains.

>> No.17477709

I guess I like meta-otakuism. Historical, sociological, cultural and business study of otaku culture of Japan. My college actually offered a course on it which was interesting but was lacking in many areas which I've started learning about myself.

>> No.17477847

>>17445443
I have focused for a little while on Mastermind Japan, Undercover, and Blackmeans

Have quite a few pieces of each

>> No.17477876

>>17460877
Ive organized a lot of resources also have that film here:
Densha Otoko( tv series)
Otaku ( https://vimeo.com/200927249)) 1992 french documentary w/English dubbed
Manga Mad(https://youtu.be/o7U-9AYLbKY [Open]) documentary
Genshiken( anime)
Otaku No Video(ova)
Otaku No Musume-san(manga)
Akihabara geeks(https://youtu.be/sBVzmQlc_nY))[Open] documentary
This panel from anime boston: https://youtu.be/s8-REXlQtlE [Open]
Otaku Unite(documentary)

>> No.17478191

>>17476387
Even if you learn and understand the concepts you won't develop the skill to quickly and accurately solve problems without grinding.

>> No.17478236

>>17437006
Beer, I guess. Drinking lots, keeping notes, brewing my own, understanding the beer from chemical standpoint and so on. People not into beer don't really care about what is the name of the ester that gives a certain aroma in the beer.

>> No.17478283

Seems to me that otaku level interests have gravitated towards the socio-political rather than the STEM. In fact, more normalfags are gathering toward the latter. Anyone can support this half-assed assumption I made?

>> No.17478324

>>17437006
PVC model working and getting into blacksmithing. Pretty much anything arts and crafts bring out the passionate otaku types.

>> No.17478476

>>17439766
>Trade policy is my bread and butter
Do you think it's still worth it to get into trade policy in this day and age, particularly within the EU?

>> No.17478740

>>17477876

(Warning: May cause second-hand embarassment)

I think you may be interested in this, is about American fans (who also made some sort of Iczer 3 abridged series in tape)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2x6mR0PYXxM

And here is some channel with old reviews and conventions
1999 reviews https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MmvOdZa0NKw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TgQIcycjTWw
2004 con https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfkHGfOPCI0

Plus my all-time favourite footage of a notorious local convention
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdVHwH3x8KI

>> No.17478815

>>17478283
No.

>> No.17478828

>>17445124
Similarly, I'm interested a lot in art style, and surprised about others not being so much into it. I like to compare different body, head, hair, eyes and eyelashesshapes and proportions across artists and time. Analyzing eras and evolution.
It gets to the point I scrutinize some show or VN to find out at least one example of each poses or perspectives (like up front, 3/4 view, sideways. from above) possible. Seeing how much difference there is between characters. Also to see in which ways emotions and SD forms are drawn.

>> No.17478842

>>17478828
Anime fans tend to concentrate more on the literary aspect than the technical hence why they always bitch about "bad writing" more than anything else.

>> No.17478870

>>17478842
>why they always bitch about "bad writing"
I've never been content with this particular criticism that gets thrown around way too often, at least more than it should.
To me it's always been an indicator of the critic not liking the show for whatever petty reason, they might not even know why they don't like it, so they just pin it down on something as incredibly vague and unclear like "bad writing".

>> No.17478873
File: 24 KB, 416x591, img_0.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

i know a great deal about japanese music

i've spent a lot of time in bars in japan talking to people about it. talked with some 'famous' people as well i suppose

>> No.17479246

>>17478870
It's low-effort criticism to come off as a pseudo-intellectual as is the case of a lot Chinese Cartoon aficionados. No one with an ounce of active brain matter takes it seriously.

>> No.17479784

>>17478842
Really? I understand it, but still.
Isn't one of anime's most notable features the big eyes?

>> No.17479842

>>17478873
Pic related?

>> No.17479896

>>17478842
Most of the writing criticism I see is someone blundering their way through Babby's First Writing 101 without understanding anything about it.

>> No.17479917

>>17479784
Not him, but I've noticed here and there that a lot of people these days tend to focus on photo-realism as an indicator of quality, or shading.

Most anime fans couldn't care about style and its evolution, they lean to either the digital photorealism you get in KyoAni and Makoto Shinkai's works or the hipsters who think they're special who latch on to shaded, realistic-looking cel-animated series from the 80s and 90s. Not criticizing either of those styles, and I'm not saying appreciating realism in anime art is inherently bad, but outside of that people really don't seem to care.

This isn't something I would describe myself as having in-depth "otaku-level" insights about, but I really enjoy anime OPs and EDs and how they're designed from an art and stylistic point of view. This might be an observation many people have made, but in the last year or two I've noticed a trend in anime OPs and EDs to use, and this is the most accurate term I could find, "ben-day dots". Not sure if it is something that's been pointed out as I've not visited any anime discussion sites in ages though. It's just something that after seeing it multiple times, season after season, gave me a desire to actually do research on the topic and go through the history of using those dots in anime openings. I'm really lazy though, but one day I might do it.

>> No.17479957

>>17478842
That depends plenty on the type of series it is, genre, characters, etc. You don't expect the same kind of writing from a serious drama from a slice of life or a comedy. Anime is an audio-visual medium after all, made out of many parts, so of course different people will focus on different pieces of it and just like that one of the pieces being sub-standard in comparison to the others will bring down the quality of the overall product.

>> No.17480020
File: 70 KB, 1008x720, [Anonymoose] Otaku no Video - 02 (BD, 10bit) [6CA80FE4].mkv_snapshot_02.34_[2017.03.28_20.15.48].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>17477876
>>17478740
These are fantastic, thank you for this.
Otaku no Video is a favorite of mine especially, it's one of those things that made me interested in otaku themselves and that enthusiastic DIY attitude behind fanworks like doujinshi and the like, but especially in the 80's.
Speaking of joke fandubs, I always like watching this vid for one of Project A-ko, the pure QUALITY of the tape alone is enough for me https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ok4E_mae6V0
That last clip reminded of this absolute train wreck https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58UuBxcYxvg

>> No.17480039
File: 106 KB, 600x600, 1392076741061.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>17442228
I have the same feelings, as much as I love to hate chan culture as well, I still admire the little things it causes and all the characters.
I love Nijiura maids as well, I used to spend days just collecting them years ago

>> No.17480072

I enjoy reading a lot about the history of cartoons and old comics. I haven't been on /co/ in years though. They usually just talk about what everyone saw as a kid, or the usual cape stuff I've lost interest over, while being wrong about them as well. Also there grew tons of faux outrage over the last few years
So I just became a grown man watching and reading cartoons alone, not even for the sake of learning some kind of art skill. I'm trying to better my Spanish because while people will go on about European and of course Japanese comics, Spanish and especially Argentinian ones are overlooked outside of their countries.

>> No.17480137

>>17478476
The world economy is entirely reliant on maintaining global supply chains. For as long as that's the case, trade policy will be important.

>The EU
Even after Brexit, the EU will still be one of the largest markets on the planet. Exporters will still have to deal with regulations made in Brussels.

>> No.17480170

>>17477847
I'm starting to get into Undercover, but Blackmeans is a bit too motorcyclist for me - I don't really like leather and I'm not huge into that style. I always liked those shredded jeans that they produce though. Could you tell me anything about MMJ? I get the impression they're in the same vein as Wtaps and Neighborhood, but I've also seen that they worked with Julius and something about how they used to put information about the origin of the materials and design on the tags of each item. I'd also be interested to see the pieces you mentioned if you don't mind sharing.

>> No.17480303

>>17480137
And within the context of /jp/ and the fact that a lot of people here obviously want to live in Japan, do you think focusing on EU trade policy with Japan would be a worthwhile way to go about achieving that? There's that recent agreement that was signed and obviously years in the making, and it's still not all encompassing meaning there's still things to get settled, correct?

>> No.17480400

>>17480303
The EU-Japan FTA is still being finalized, but under the proposed rules you'll see more temp visas available for EU citizens. They're all oriented towards letting businessmen and professionals move more freely between the two countries. For you plebs, the most accessible visa seems to be the one oriented toward "independent professionals" i.e. contractors.

How Japan interprets and implements the agreement is up in the air, and I wouldn't be surprised if they face pressure to interpret it as narrowly as possible. However the agreement specifically prohibits Japan from imposing a cap on visas handed out or imposing an "economic means test" on temporary immigrants.

>> No.17480469

>>17480400
>However the agreement specifically prohibits Japan from imposing a cap on visas handed out or imposing an "economic means test" on temporary immigrants.

Just another underhanded tactic to turn Japan into a conflict ridden multi-kulti hell hole. Thanks, Merkel.

>> No.17480748

>>17480469
I don't know if you're having a giggle, but
A) These are temporary workers, not permanent
B) You need a job offer from a Japanese company to get one of these visas
It's not really any different from the treatment ALTs get. Japan isn't about to open the gates to anyone with EU citizenship.

>> No.17482030
File: 825 KB, 1366x768, 1483493244442.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Video quality otaku

>> No.17482070

>>17482030
Freckles are so fucking disgusting.

>> No.17482077

>>17437842
>Liquid Swords
You're alright, faggot.

>> No.17482102

I used to be a propaganda otaku. At some point a while ago, I'd go over news reports and parse it for signs of bias and learn various techniques of influence, such as the history of propaganda. I don't like doing it anymore.

>> No.17482185

>>17482102
You're not an otaku I'd you just stop doing it

>> No.17485302

>>17482102
I've been meaning to read up on the propaganda literature, although all of the big name texts (Bernays, Ellul) are from the 20s and 60s and are a tad dated.

What's funny is that a lot of what we consider propaganda is really just politicians hiring ad men to run their campaigns.

>> No.17485550

>>17482185
I did stop.

>> No.17485924

>>17480020
>That last clip reminded of this absolute train wreck https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58UuBxcYxvg
No chichis pa' la banda.
I'm disappointed.

>> No.17487813
File: 95 KB, 640x425, ip130505-festiniog-150-576.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>17477573
I like trains, but my focus in on Narrow Gauge railways and such and there's no real 'Oh, that's super interesting' facts that come to mind.

I suppose I could try.

Most of the narrow gauge lines in Wales were built up to service the slate trade where slate mined up in the hills and mountains would be brought down to either the Cambrian line or to harbours like Portmadoc which despite being tiny things were up until the early 20th century huge shipping centres that exported slate across the world. The interesting practice was that these lines were built on constant gradients, almost always climbing upwards into the hills and actually end up at, for railways, at remarkable heights compared to where they started (typically at sea level or close to it. For example, the Ffestiniog Railway, the oldest railway company in the world rises 700 feet above sea level. Due to this, steam locomotives quickly replaced horses to haul slate trains up into the hills. However, due to the nearly constant gradient, the slate trains coming down the line to the terminus didn't have locomotives at all; instead they used gravity with a man sitting on each truck to act as a brakeman.

>> No.17487828
File: 324 KB, 1024x560, 4329638835_855d19f2e2_b.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>17487813
Another interesting era was the post-war years of these railways. At this time, the British Railway system was being nationalised, and this included the Welsh narrow gauage system. Most of the lines were seen as not economically viable and so were left in private hands. Many went out of business and had their lines scrapped and built on as the slate trade died off. Others, such as the Talyllyn Railway were taken over by volunteers who kept the line open to preserve what they saw as culturally important pieces of heritage; the Talyllyn was the world's first heritage railway, and the Preservation Society's forming members included the likes of the Reverend W. Awdry, more famously known as the man behind the Railway Stories, which created Thomas the Tank Engine.

However, for some reason, the Vale of Rheidol Railway was taken over by British Railways, which led to an odd era in the 1960s, 70s and 80s where the Victorian steam locomotives running the line were painted in the same blue as the rest of the BR diesel and electric fleet; these were the last steam engines in Britain being operated by British Rail.

>> No.17487852
File: 133 KB, 640x480, dave1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>17487828
While today the railways are heritage/tourist attractions, it's remarkable how much innovation used to this day by railways across the globe came out of this little corner of North Wales; the invention of the railway bogie, for example, came from the Ffestiniog Railway, as did an array of odd locomotives, all concerned with how to increase haulage power on the small constraints of the line.

These include the Double Fairlie locomotives, named after their inventor, the principle of which was used across the world, especially in Central and South America for narrow gauge and even standard gauge locomotives.

>> No.17487862
File: 79 KB, 640x374, WHR_Garratt_143.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>17487852
As well as the Garratt Locomotives, where the water and tenders are on bogies to allow a standard gauge style locomotive to better negotiate tight bends in the track. Again, like the Fairlies, these designs were replicated for standard guage usage, especially for African and Indian railways.

>> No.17487864
File: 83 KB, 576x469, 5918_test_run.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>17487862
An example of such here.

>> No.17487869
File: 98 KB, 1062x609, Fairlie-2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>17487864
And an example of a Mexican double fairlie showing the North American habit of building a wooden house for the driver's cab.

>> No.17487870

>>17487869
Or at least a much larger cab than European or British locomotives tended to have.

>> No.17488388

>>17487813
>However, due to the nearly constant gradient, the slate trains coming down the line to the terminus didn't have locomotives at all; instead they used gravity with a man sitting on each truck to act as a brakeman.

Sort of reminds me of this
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mount_Washington_Cog_Railway#.22Devil.27s_shingle.22_slideboards

>> No.17491107

>>17487813
I'm by no means a train otaku but I've always been partial to trains as the #1 mode of transport we have today.

Also, those are interesting tidbits, anon.

>> No.17491707 [DELETED] 

>>17477876
>https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCk9Pemklvxlx0aiNYSySFIg
3:41 me getting ready for the /jp/ meet-up

>> No.17491772 [DELETED] 

>>17491707
What are you quoting? None of that guy's links look like that one and also it is a channel not a video.

>> No.17492039

>>17437768
Are you Mew2King?

>> No.17492443

>>17439642
Are they soft? Are they warm? Can they make me happy? Are cup sizes really different in Nippon? What size is to big (I personally think F-cups are amazing but any more and you risk not looking like a human)?

>> No.17492588

>>17492443
I'm not versed on cup sizes, but I draw the line at the size of the girl's head. Any larger and it feels like I've strayed into the rougher part of /jp/.

>> No.17492700
File: 113 KB, 1280x720, [HorribleSubs] Atom - The Beginning - 04 [720p].mkv_snapshot_22.38_[2017.05.11_22.44.13].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I have an autistic supply of knowledge concerning Astro Boy

>> No.17492797

>>17437006
Vidya, history(several particular realms), historiographical perspectives, maps, idols, autism(related to my job), hot sauce, a tabletop game, historical miniatures, anime, some other stuff.

None of it makes me feel any less worthless.

>> No.17492799
File: 81 KB, 1200x1200, me.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I am obsessed with the art of candle making.

>> No.17492836
File: 119 KB, 659x1000, c230be7ae3f6eea86adc8b56e9e4c2be--japanese-history-harbin.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>17492797
Like one thing is history as an example:
For the past four weeks I've been working out out how rice importation from colonial korea resulted in price changes that drove many domestic Japanese farmers out of business, many of whom moved into the soybean business in Manchukuo. I'm trying to see if that has any relation to settler distrust of the central government and higher gentry that was rampant on the Manchurian frontier.

>> No.17492857

>>17492836
>None of it makes me feel any less worthless.
I love this line.

>> No.17492880

>>17492836
cool stuff anon, qing-era relations between the big asian powers interest me greatly

>> No.17493130

>>17492799
This looks tasty, just like soap sometimes does.

>> No.17493917
File: 278 KB, 399x438, 2d_traffic_cone_384.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>17437006
I'm a traffic cone otaku, or short: a trafficotaku.

I have thousands of traffic cone images and cropped traffic cones from anime and manga, and I've also been running a blog about traffic cones for some years now.

Before plastic traffic cones, people used paraffin lanterns, wooden tripods or even concrete cones as markers.
In Germany, they used wooden barrels with stones in them, until someone crashed into one, propelling the stone into the car and killing the driver.
Association with brands can become so strong that products are named after a brand or the company producing the product. For example, in Austria, the first company producing traffic cones there was Haber. Subsequently, people started calling all traffic cones "Haberkornhütchen" ("little Haber corn hat").
The bulge at the top of some traffic cones is called a "boss" in English and "bosse" in French.
Not all traffic cones are conical.
The world's biggest traffic cones are 5,5m (18 inch) tall.
Japan has lots of cute traffic cones.

>> No.17493943
File: 75 KB, 164x243, 2d_traffic_cone_739.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>17493917

>> No.17493946
File: 353 KB, 343x403, 2d_traffic_cone_073.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>17493943

>> No.17493956
File: 422 KB, 562x296, 2d_traffic_cone_239.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>17493946
There's lots of images with Yotsuba and traffic cones.

>> No.17493964
File: 471 KB, 665x507, 2d_traffic_cone_253.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>17493956

>> No.17493968

VLC users are NOT WELCOME HERE

>> No.17493988
File: 386 KB, 808x697, 2d_traffic_cone_638.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>17493964
>>17493968
M'lady.

>> No.17493993
File: 80 KB, 194x205, 2d_traffic_cone_070.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>17493988

>> No.17494003
File: 24 KB, 468x624, chick_cone_001.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>17493993
>>17493917
Cute Japanese traffic cones.

>> No.17494009
File: 192 KB, 960x720, smile_cone_026.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>17494003
But they're more dangerous, due to there not being reflective foil.

>> No.17494016
File: 161 KB, 596x900, mt_fuji_cone_012.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>17494009

>> No.17494023
File: 132 KB, 462x590, vlc_tan_sfw_008.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>17494016
>>17493968
What if VLC was a cute anime girl, though?

>> No.17494054
File: 188 KB, 637x584, 1458602836438.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>17493917
>I've also been running a blog about traffic cones for some years now
link?

>> No.17494058
File: 62 KB, 1024x1024, modcat.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>17494023
>vlc_tan_sfw_008.png
>sfw

>> No.17494068
File: 357 KB, 1041x2066, 長瀬なつ@三日目東Q-17a - こんなの入らないよぉ!pic.twitter.com_Y4KUBfODHx (CyAFH9TUcAAoiPi).jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.17494278

Kind of a side topic but I'd like to mention my obsession with image collecting. Or just obsession with saving any form of data. (Doujin, Anime, Jap games/VN, music, etc.) But mostly images. By no means am I efficient in my practice; I'm probably the only one that could navigate my strange organization. But I feel there is a form to it all that I conduct in. I can usually tell by gut feeling if an image is not in its original resolution and will be picky about "sample posting". I have an icon folder for various images that I like usually in more equal x/y axis for avatars and what not. The folder has 740 images but the catch is that I follow a practice of rarely changing my avatar, or sharing images that are special/interesting to me. I'm always trying to figure out what I need and what I don't need in which folders; then regretting deleting something and having to find a copy of it. And don't get me started on the actual collecting of images. I have to limit myself because I know that if I just go at it I can spend hours trying to get out of the loop of saving images from various threads, finding new artist's pixivs, going though all that. Before you know it, 4 hours have passed. That's why I like /jp/, as it is a lot more slow paced so I don't get too overwhelmed. I will go through various phases on my ways of image saving. For example one time when I was really wanting a break from it, I said "original source material only", as in only collect official artwork related to series and not fan art. I'd imagine most people also have an obsession with image saving as they are using an imageboard after all. Sure it may be silly to hoard data, but that feeling of knowing that you can pull up some random image you remembered about from your archive is very reassuring. And on the front of saving anime, doujins and what not; I remember I had my fill when the whole nyaa.se panic happened and I just sat there with my archive of everything I needed. Data collecting is very double edged for me as while it serves as a hobby and gives me joy, it also goes against one of my core feelings of "keep my world as small as possible." I prefer to take the route of focusing on one series and tunneling it on that. I can't just pick up random airing anime like most people on /a/ and whatnot. Instead I usually end up rewatching series on my hard drives. I've probably watched non non biyori full complete 8 times now (before nnb repeat). Basically what I'm trying to point out is the hiki lifestyle and mindset even affects internet usage. Play smart and you can almost play god, choosing what you see and whatnot. But things are always changing online as well; be ready to jump ship when communities and areas you holed yourself in have suddenly went from liked to dislike. Learn to realize when you feel dissatisfaction from spending time in one area or playing one game. Learn to recognize where and when certain areas will only lead to dissatisfaction. (like people jumping to using discord; it was very easy for me to recognize that program is a trap in both my personal tastes and being run by a datamining company.) I'd be surprised if anyone could make sense of this manic post.

Besides that I consider myself military otaku like many others here have mentioned. It's nice to know there are a lot here on /jp/. I also collect figures, and keeping my room in a cozy setup, never changing things drastically in a short period of time.

>> No.17494292

>>17493130
Glad to know I'm not alone in thinking this.
I bet there's a term for that.

>> No.17494418

>>17492857
Why?

>> No.17494440

>>17493917
In Canada I often wonder about how traffic cones work. We sometimes have long stretches of highway with cones but no work being done. It's got to the point where I joke with my family about the "cone people" as a kind of secret organization posing as a make-work project.

>> No.17496003

>>17494418
Because it's very /jp/

>> No.17496007

>>17494278
k

>> No.17496020

>>17494278
Post interesting military trivia like everyone has, kudasai

>> No.17499153

I just know enough about things to look like I know alot in

>> No.17501628

I gues you could say I am a masturbation otaku. I have a large collection of sex toys of all shapes, colors and sizes. I read a lot about masturbation techniques. I basically dedicate my life to this. I think masturbation is an art, it's the enjoyment of the self, something pure and it just feels SO good.

>> No.17501632
File: 245 KB, 992x1230, 1476827472536.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

It's not really the most /jp/ thing, but I am obsessed with Japanese automotive industry and culture. There's a lot of useless info I learned such as the beginnings of the industry, specs of famous models, influential people in the culture, racing techniques, that kind of thing.

>> No.17501697

>>17439575
I would love to hear cave story facts or for you yo dump pics

>> No.17501746
File: 118 KB, 655x491, 1499416948774.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>17493917

>> No.17501760
File: 769 KB, 1200x1600, 桃坂 - 暑いので (20205879).jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>17501746
n-no bully!

>> No.17502320

>>17501632
Which one of the famous 1990s Japanese cars is the most patrician, sophisticated, etc?

>> No.17502691
File: 2.81 MB, 2000x1123, 63073798_p0.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>17494278
I know something similar.
I can spend hours upon hours looking for nice images that I want to save. I often browse through every single page of a pixiv tag in hopes of finding a new artist whose style I like. It's quite a huge pain for me because I'm drawn to specific styles and certain edgy and dark, depressing, or "grim reality" themes. I don't really know why I like them, but being self aware of the fact that other people probably think they're edgy and make me look like some teenager who thinks he's cool for liking black colors, and the fact the images themselves capture a very specific depressing but nice and relaxing feeling that I can't put into words makes it really hard to even describe what kind of images I like.

I don't exactly organize them into specific folders or anything, but I have a very good intuitive knowledge of where an image is in my general image folder. It's really inefficient and slow, but I actually prefer trying to guess when I saved an image and trying to find it. I get to look at some other nice images while trying to find the one I had in mind.

>> No.17503021

>>17437948
different anon here, but I study chemistry at a university. he is pretty spot on. you just sort of pick this stuff up from all around. i'm not even doing organic stuff.

>> No.17503032

>>17438303
i started doing that, just about have a degree in it too. but i am sticking with it, i found other otaku interests to replace it and im not going to make the same mistake twice (okay i bet i will but im trying to not)

>> No.17503047
File: 216 KB, 1280x853, 1498489466290.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I'm a meme otaku

>> No.17503054

>>17445370
are you a jack of all trades or an otaku of all trades? i am an unfocused otaku, i get into things the way an otaku would, really hard and obsessive, but i waver back and forth in my interests, in a way that is out of my control.

>> No.17503506
File: 1.26 MB, 2003x1494, 1459449890720.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>17502320
The pinnacle of Japanese automotive engineering would be the Honda NSX. It offered performance surpassing the western competition, all while being more reliable, easier to drive, smaller and cheaper. It truly revolutionized the very concept of how super cars should be built.

The development started with Honda's return to F1 back in the early 80's, they did not have a flag ship vehicle at that time so they decided to make one. Using their F1 knowledge they designed the NSX to have the ultimate road handling. Cutting edge technology such as an aluminum monocock body resembling an F1 formula car was used, among other things such as extensive aerodynamic research, chassis and suspension geometry, and of course the legendary VTEC equipped engine. The engine was so good it was said it would get better after 50,000 kilometers. The aluminum monocock body will exist for a very long time since aluminum doesn't rust.

The most amazing thing is that the car was designed as a race car from the ground up, but it was very comfortable to drive on a daily basis as well. This is how it revolutionized the super car industry. Before it, super cars such as Ferrari's or Lamborghini's were primarily built for speed, they were very fragile and rough on the road, Honda showed how they can blend performance and comfort without compromise, using engineering cleverness.

>> No.17506053
File: 91 KB, 578x378, vtec.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>17503506
>the legendary VTEC equipped engine
I miss the macros

>> No.17507250

I guess I'm not an otaku of any kind. Master of none, jack of no trades. What a depressing realisation. I do like to play fire emblem I guess

>> No.17507542

I'd say I'm a stock market otaku but then again it's my job so I can't really call it a hobby

Lately I am reading a lot about designing high performance database systems

>> No.17507549 [DELETED] 

Also lately I am studying a bit about costume design

I'd like to be a cosplay otaku but no one respectable wants to make cosplay friends with 26 year old guy who's just getting started

>> No.17507551

Also lately I am studying a bit about costume design

I'd like to be a cosplay otaku but no one respectable wants to make cosplay friends with a guy past 25 who's just getting started

>> No.17507597

>>17507551
You can always bite the bullet and try /cgl/.
Beware that there's a ton of women on that board, though.

>> No.17507662

>>17437006
Idols, languages, fine art photography, and occultism.

I keep my Goetia and the Secret Teachings of All Ages on the same bookshelf as my idol photobooks.

>> No.17507709

It's ironic that I have OCD yet I really can't get obsessive about the stuff I like.

>> No.17507710

>>17437006
I'm a bit of a gun nut and I've had discussions with coworkers about whether or not a stiff trigger is good for a defensive pistol or if direct impingement is just as good as piston driven. Also, Dan Wesson and Mateba revolvers make me stiff.

>> No.17507724

I want to become a general "otaku meta" otaku. The culture of otaku fascinates me and I'd like to know more about otaku as a social and psychological phenomenon. I also want to look into anime, visual novels, ln and manga with a more critical and "film major" approach. Looking at history, techniques, styles and inluences.

It's part of the reason why I'm learning Japanese. I want to access what isn't available in English to feed this desire. Some videos posted in this thread are examples of what I crave, in addition to channels like Pause and Select which are virtually nonexistent.

>> No.17507908

>>17507597
I think in this country the split between males and females in that hobby is 20:80. I don't mind making girl friends, but most of them seem averse to the idea and keep to their all-female cliques...

>> No.17507947

>>17507551
Just be so good at what you do that people feel compelled to talk to you based on the brilliance of your work.

>> No.17508040

>>17507947
Yeah

I've had a couple of the cutest cosplayers at comiket call me cool looking but there's no way to be friends without achieving anything first. Even then I bet they'd keep their distance though

>> No.17508084

>>17507597
I lurked /cgl/ in the past for the taobao threads and had a look at various other threads. A very large chunk of them are obese and do horrific renditions of cosplay or lolita that butchers the original appeal of it for a viewer. Yes I know any /cgl/ user browsing here will say that they're doing it for themselves and that's fine, but if you want to accurately represent a character it's generally a good idea to make sure you have a similar physique to how they're canonically depicted and not how they're depicted in deviantart fat fetish images.

>> No.17508108

>>17508084
I was in one of the department stores in Shinjuku the other day - there was this group of four lolita Chinese girls that was snaking its way through the stores. The cutest girl was in the front as the leader and the other members were following in line in descending order of attractiveness. It was kind of funny to watch.

Very hierarchical society

>> No.17508204

I was a touhou otaku for some time of my life, then got into TRPG popular in Japan and japanese TRPG and ero-TRPG, even though I never played an ero-session, I liked reading about amateur systems on niche websites.
Nowadays, I'm collecting everything I can about rhythm games.

>> No.17508288

>>17508204
How does ero-TRPG work? Who would you play with?

>> No.17508314

>>17508288
>How does ero-TRPG work?
"I rape the darkness"
"Roll for accuracy"
"Critical failure, you fuck a light socket and are electrocuted"

>> No.17508549

>>17476387
Yes. Intuitively realizing Math. But it's not everyone that can do that. So in other words, probably no.

>> No.17508699

>>17508549
I used to be into math but I got turned off by the fanbase in the end.

>> No.17508987

I'm a classical literature and philosophy otaku by definition I guess don't really think of myself as one though. I'm also a former psychonaught with a pretty otaku like interest in psychedelic substances Since I started learning Japanese for /jp/ related interests I'm going to try get into classical Japanese literature. Archaic Japanese is complex though.

>> No.17509085

>>17508987
>Archaic Japanese is complex though.
How so? I'm just learning modern day Japanese so I'm curious how different it is.

>> No.17509141 [DELETED] 

Probably child sex. I have 2 nieces. I've had years to try things and plenty of friends on USENET and places where we can discuss our hobbies with like minded individuals.

>> No.17510052

>>17509085
Like a different language to the extent natives cant read it without specifically studying it. Try read the Genji Monogatari on aozora bunko if you are curious

>> No.17510159

>>17501746

This is a worksafe board anon.

>> No.17510271

>>17510159

it's not lewd if it's flaccid.

>> No.17510275

>>17494023

retard moe is a strong moe

>> No.17510449
File: 15 KB, 414x356, 1472161390615.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>17510271

Well you got me there.

>> No.17512258

>>17510275
indeed

>> No.17512398
File: 99 KB, 960x540, yukari worried.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I wish I was a tank encyclopedia like Yukari. I want to be a tank otaku, but I'm not good at remembering numbers or super specific details. Like, I know a lot about tanks, the history that went into the creation of each tank, the role it was supposed to fulfill, if it actually fulfilled, if it was repurposed into another role by modifying it... but i can't remember dates of battles, the specific thickness of each plate, the exact model of the gun that was used, the suspension, and lots of things like that.
no matter how much i study, I will never be able to become Yukari.

Plus my hair is only a bit fluffy. I wish it was extra fluffy. I wish I had friends that like tanks.

>> No.17512604

>>17512398
Do you play world of tanks?

>> No.17515376

>>17512398
My girl friend who liked GuP ditched me and now everyone seems lame in comparison and I can't make another one

>> No.17515898

>>17515376
I'll be your Yukari, anon.

>> No.17517340

>>17515898
Are you cute?

>> No.17518752
File: 2.73 MB, 1152x2048, yukari shades summer drink.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>17517340
Yes, I'm a cute girl (male) and even have the GuP uniform cosplay.
But the sad truth is that 2D will never be real.

>> No.17519052

Videogames, but in a very specific way. I like going very deep into the mechanics and design of them. Think Pannen and his Mario 64 videos and apply that more broadly. I am the kind of person who would ask stuff like "how many times do you need to press A to beat Mario 64?" but I've never went that in depth personally into any game, I generally read about them. I know weird facts about the engines of games I've never even played, the effectiveness of strategies in many games, why things are the way they are due to development issues rather than choice (stuff like Megaman being one of the blue shades because it looked better than any of the red shades the NES could make, they originally wanted him to be red) and many more.
My vast knowledge of game design does unfortunately make it hard to play games sometimes because I notice issues easier, which I suppose is true of anyone really into any form of media. Most recent example, I tried playing Rogue Galaxy. Within an hour I had realized that it suffered very badly from degenerative gameplay, and all the interesting systems were irrelevant in the face of item and ability spam. No fight in the entire game would ever be a challenge once I figured out the dominant strategy, so I couldn't enjoy it anymore after that.

>> No.17519164

>>17519052
So you're into stuff like this?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tfh0ytz8S0k
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_rsycfDliZU

>> No.17520338

>>17519052
I feel you, anon, though not because I am a game design otaku, but because it's related to my job. I prefer to think about it as a "shit-game-radar", but I can usually ignore it if some other aspect of a game is especially good or fun.

>> No.17523240

>>17512398
This but with cars, at least from the 70s up to now, want to find my dream car.

>> No.17529148
File: 36 KB, 590x391, sk_yano_02.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.17530430
File: 119 KB, 1029x645, 14358_1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

This is one of the reasons I love Japan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AhUm-ldeuOc

>> No.17530503

>>17530430
How embarrassing for the motorcycle guy. He pulled over and was going to go save it but that girl comes running up before he can get off his bike, and now it's a video about a girl saving a cat while he's counted as one of the people who didn't do anything.

>> No.17530614

>>17530503
Not everyone can be a hero in their own story

>> No.17530672

>>17530430
It's one of the reasons I love Japanese school girls.

>> No.17530847
File: 2.82 MB, 500x280, akiba1.webm [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.17530852
File: 2.41 MB, 500x280, akiba2.webm [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

miss this place.

>> No.17530860
File: 2.59 MB, 500x280, akiba3.webm [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

its no more

>> No.17530865
File: 2.67 MB, 500x280, akiba4.webm [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.17530869
File: 2.41 MB, 500x280, akiba5.webm [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.17531397

>>17518752
I made a temporary email

>> No.17531563
File: 10 KB, 259x194, images (2).jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.17531566
File: 14 KB, 275x183, images (1).jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.17531569
File: 182 KB, 600x443, 5c02fc7483.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.17531572
File: 54 KB, 620x413, img1484882182.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.17531574
File: 10 KB, 291x173, 101.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.17534564

>>17530430
This is stupid
Doing stuff like this has caused pile-ups in the past

It's a cat not a human

>> No.17535039

>>17530430
I hope the guy and the girl became friends and took care of the kitty.

>> No.17535239

>>17534564
>Doing stuff like this has caused pile-ups in the past

In Japan or in your shitty country full of non-peaceful people?

>> No.17535239,1 [INTERNAL] 

>>17507724

see:
>>/jp/thread/19376807

>>
Name
Subject
Comment
Action