[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/jp/ - Otaku Culture

View post   

File: 97 KB, 612x520, bd2e33f74462660926338433612ffdcc.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
16952636 No.16952636[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

After watching Lost in Translation, I still have the same question - is it even possible for a westerner to truly integrate into Japan? Understand and become one with their media, humour, mentality?
Because when I watch comedic anime for example, the humour just seems so strange and bizarre that I can't imagine a westerner actually finding it funny without lying to themselves about it.

>> No.16952646

You shouldn't pretend to be someone you aren't.

If you're not Japanese, you're not Japanese. It's not that big of a deal anyway.

>> No.16952657

>>16952636
no, it's impossible and they will always see you as a gaijin

>> No.16952693
File: 430 KB, 700x970, 77.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

They'd find you more homely with a mask and sunglasses lol.

Just remember that in Rome do as Romans, and since they're a USA colony since they lost WW2 you should just go into a McDonald's and argue about the serving sizes being to small.
I got like 3 French fries refills last time, so that's it, let the nips be nips and keep being awesome.

>> No.16952710

After watching the last two decades of my life, I still have the same question - is it even possible for a human being to truly integrate into society? Understand and become one with their media, humour, mentality?
Because when I watch human behavior, the behavior just seems so strange and bizarre that I can't imagine anyone actually finding it funny without lying to themselves about it.

>> No.16952724

>>16952710
Nobody integrates perfectly, society is like a shitty hobbyist clock made with random gears found in a dumpster that keep working via continuous effort and maintenance rather than good design, everyone struggles the same but hides it to cope with their inflated egos.

>> No.16952727

>>16952693
Haha, I'm not an American that wants to move there - just curious about the mentality of some of the wapanese.
Just for kicks, here's some japanese singing songs and dances from my country:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=uuVXKcRLgyo
And here's us perfoming in Japan:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Qz7b-7YMSz4
Both really cool.

>>
Name
Subject
Comment
Action