[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/jp/ - Otaku Culture

View post   

File: 56 KB, 305x500, 1203215941833.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1668152 No.1668152 [Reply] [Original]

Choose your own adventure books have have more significant branching story paths than visual novels.

Discuss.

On a side note, the one story where you get sent back to the past and do a chariot race, only to have your wheel break off and get run over by the horses scared me tons.

>> No.1668160

::flips pages looking for naked Saber::

>> No.1668161

What? Fate/Stay Night has more branching than any CYOA books I've ever read. What book were you reading?

>> No.1668164

Wasn't there a Goosebumps one?
With sharks and shit.
I'd cheat and redo if I died. Which I guess was the point.

>> No.1668170

Attack of the Killer Tomatoes cyoa book. I think there was one choice where you got to save your imouto.

>> No.1668173

>Choose your own adventure books have have more significant branching story paths than visual novels.
No, choose your own adventure books are too limited by their very design. To get something equal to a VN it would be so fucking unwieldy it wouldn't be fun to read.

Yet they're still better than most VNs, funny that.

>> No.1668256

Sure, CYOA books have more paths and possible endings than your typical VN. But that’s all they have. Their selling point and sole attraction is the sense of freedom and adventure one gets when one makes choices.
“Significant branching paths”? I don’t think so. The CYOA books I’ve read as a kid had about 100 to 120 pages, and with about 40 possible endings, that doesn’t leave much room to develop a deep and engrossing story. So while there may be numerous possible paths and endings, none of them really mean anything because they are just quick, empty stories that simply show the effects of the reader’s actions.

>> No.1668349

CHOOSE YOUR OWN GOOSEBUMPS

>>
Name
Subject
Comment
Action