[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/jp/ - Otaku Culture

View post   

File: 87 KB, 463x700, 1224214225774.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1527386 No.1527386 [Reply] [Original]

I don't get it, /jp/. Why are you guys so obsessed with Touhou?

Are the games actually that good or do you just like it because it's fairly unknown?

I've never seen the appeal myself after all these years; most Touho threads are just image spams of suggestive fanart.

>> No.1527416
File: 122 KB, 640x480, 1225260205364.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Well, it'd be rather boring to post screenshots of the game itself, wouldn't it?
There's no appeal in staring at Marisa's hot, thic-- excuse me, I need to go relieve myself.

>> No.1527521
File: 386 KB, 1240x900, 1225261353060.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

From a short glance, Touhou really isn't anything special. But the amount of material that the doujin community has thrown out is ridiculous. Fanarts, parodies, doujins, music, yukkuris, etc. If you enjoy the games they also have a good potential of making some memorable moments. I admit, my entire music folder is touhou. 4gbs of mp3 tracks in different styles, and I'm already picky when it comes to music.
Basically there is a lot of Touhou, and the likelihood is that there is at least one thing you can enjoy.

And now have a Momiji

>> No.1527534
File: 76 KB, 1020x407, 1225261495318.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.1527393

Doujins.

>> No.1527422

Personally I think Touhou is retarded shit. The only thing I like about it is the bunnygirl who shoots suppositories.

>> No.1527424

It's somewhat of a mystery to me as well..

>> No.1527461

>>1527416
You... you...

>> No.1527498

>>1527386
Why don't you play the games and decide for yoursefl?

>> No.1527537

>>1527461
DOUBLE SPARKER

>> No.1527541

I like Touhou because I like the idea of dodging shitloads of colorful bullets while playing as cute girls with kickass music playing in the background. Other than that I love listening to remixes and looking at the shitloads of fan art. That's all there is to it, really.

>> No.1527549

I'm in it for the open possibilities and the doujins, much to the chagrin of most of the people in /jp/. I like thinking about how everything in Gensokyo works. I like to think about my own ideas for the characters' histories. I like the spellcard names, and their allusions to folklore and other famous tales. I like mixing ideas from canon and ideas from fanon. I like my version of Gensokyo.

>> No.1527579

/jp/ will hate me for this, but the doujins, characters, and music. Yeah, I dabbled in the games back when I played video games a lot more, but after a while, I lost interest. However, the characters, music, and all the doujins that portray them in different ways kept me attached. I think it's fascinating listening to different arrangements and creating a different image in your head every time, even though they're all based on the same song. Reading different interpretations (I'm one of those fags that usually prefer slice-of-life and more serious stuff) of the characters and picking out slight differences in their characters and my own ideas always brings a new perspective to Gensokyo.

To be perfectly honest, /jp/ isn't even really the best place to talk about these sorts of Touhou topics, since /jp/ is plain reluctant to talk about these things that border on fanfiction basically. However, I'm extremely satisfied with just keeping the ideas in my head, and just keeping Touhou as something that I love obsessively, but silently.

>> No.1527615

>>1527498
Maybe I will.

Which one should I start and where can I get it?

>> No.1527813
File: 230 KB, 566x800, 1225266204586.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1527801

I like Cirno because she's the strongest.

>> No.1527815
File: 113 KB, 366x478, 1225266215156.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1527801
Fate is what you make of it.

derping away~

>> No.1527625

>>1527579
>fanfiction

I hate Touhou now.

>> No.1527634

>>1527615
This is what I did, I downloaded TH 6-8, EoSD, PCB and IN. When I got my ass handed to me in one I would switch to the other to see if things got better. And what do you know, I eventually 1cced PCB in normal and then the other games followed. I'll never forget that moment I survived Yuyuko's last spell card with no lives or bombs left.

>> No.1527635

>>1527625
Sorry, man.

>> No.1527825
File: 36 KB, 493x292, 1225266497130.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1527801
>>In this case, Touhou is like the average long-winded shonen anime, where characters are given inconsistent abilities and powers simply because they sound cool.
I miss the the simpler days when it was just "my power level is bigger than yours."

>> No.1527638

i like the games but hate the fans

>> No.1527645

>>1527638
Care to elaborate?

>> No.1527646

4chan started catching onto touhou because it was a niche franchise that caters to all of their interests except not so underground that they wouldn't have heard of it.

>> No.1527666

>>1527646
I don't like a lot of Touhou fans, but that's just because I dislike obnoxious fans in general, regardless of what they actually like or what their interests are. Naturally, there's going to be some alright people, but they tend to seem rather silent compared to the more gregarious crowd.

Also, I strongly disagree with your reasoning of why you hate the Touhou fanbase. If Touhou became popular, and (by some terrible twist of fate) acquired a larger, more obnoxious crowd, I'd still love it to bits. I'd just have to keep it more in the low. Of course, there may be some that follow what you said, but I think there's more than a few people here that have a genuine interest in the characters that go beyond silly memes and such.

>> No.1527698

Am I the only one who really doesn't give two shits about the doujin's "lol fleshing out the characters" that much? Don't get me wrong I enjoy the backstory and why the hell Reimu/Marisa are going through their 6-stage+extra excursions every game, and the subsequent memes that came along, but just the combination of being a fun top-down bullet hell game, awesome music and the loli's are enough for me.

And yet the same people seem to RAAAAGE to no end about fanfics, well how the fact that the doujins are just fanfics in manga form? Does it have to be produced in moonland and have illustrations go with it to be accepted?

>>1527579
I feel that people liking Touhou for these reasons are in the majority, but even do another form of "suppressing power levels" when it comes to fanfictions since such things are rage inducing, thus not acceptable (on /jp/ anyways).

>> No.1527708

>>1527698
I'm with you, I don't really bother with doujins.

>> No.1527726

>>1527698
Nah, I see what you mean. I don't think it's the idea of fanfiction itself, but it just seems like everyone that tried to make Touhou fanfics are flat-out bad writers, focus too hard on being funny with bad jokes, or just other stupid trash typically found in amateur fanfiction. Hell, problems like those often arise in doujins as well.

>subsequent memes that came along, but just the combination of being a fun top-down bullet hell game, awesome music and the loli's are enough for me.
That's fine, as long as you don't bitch at me and whine about "OOOH, SECONDARY TOUHOUFAGS! OOOOH!"

>> No.1527729

>>1527634
Meh, downloading PCB.

I expect to be angry and disappointed.

>> No.1527738

>>1527729
If you are disappointed, please don't come here and complain. It just brings bad vibes to the whole board, and everyone gets frustrated. Just don't play it, and never touch it again if you don't like it. No need to report your findings or anything. Seriously, /jp/ FLIPS OUT when topics like these pop up.

>> No.1527748

I love the games and the doujins, but most Touhou fans are huge faggots.

The image spam threads are the good ones. There's a line between interesting discussion and things that are fucking stupid, most Touhou threads with text lie squarely in the stupid camp. Something isn't funny by virtue of having Cirno in it, don't make a thread about it. Long debates about the different power levels, making your own Touhous, fanfiction, roleplaying, and especially "Man I wish I lived in Gensokyo" shit needs to stop. It's worse than Geass faggotry on /a/, this is the sort of shit you see on Naruto websites.

As far as doujins versus the fanfiction on /jp/ goes, the doujins that we're reading are usually the good stuff from Japan. Japan has it's share of faggots with shitty fanfiction too, obviously no one wants to translate them. Most Japanese Touhou memes are fucking dumb. Yukkuris? Dumb shit. The main difference is that while the Japanese fans make some things of value, Western Touhou fans have never contributed anything good, at all.

In before a certain well-aged virginal Western doujin.

>> No.1527763

>>1527748
>Long debates about the different power levels
To be honest, I never understood why these sort of topics were always hated. For something like Touhou, where the "powerlevels" chart will change freely depending on the person, it could lead to interesting discussions if people talk about their own ideas and pick out ideas from doujins they liked. It just turns idiotic when they start flipping through random doujins, randomly declaring things as canon, and other people start getting into heated arguments about varied interpretations that are somewhat reasonable and interesting, completely losing it if there's one deviation from canon.

>> No.1527767

>>1527666

You are replying to who you're quoting right?

>> No.1527775

>it's fairly unknown

Oh you.

>> No.1527778

>>1527767
Sort of. Reading his post again, I realized I'm talking about something completely different, so it may look like a misquote.

>> No.1527782

>>1527729
Worst case scenario go easy modo and crank up the lives and bombs via option. Actually just crank up the lives for normal mode and play. I've never had to devolve to easy modo with the exception of phantasmagoria. Its not a path you want to go down.

>>1527748
I admit I find a lot of threads annoying just because of the overuse of memes and actual lack of contribution or discussion. Then again the Japanese aren't much better in terms of spamming wwww and their one worded phrases in their niconico comments. The way I see it is you'll enjoy what you enjoy; I could really care less about the other threads.

>> No.1527783

>>1527726

Nah, to each his own on what they like about the series. I wouldn't go so far to actually bother to complain about the aspects of something I'm not so into but other people are. I just wonder if I'm in the minority of this camp.

>> No.1527801

>>1527763
Powerlevel debates are terrible because they devolve into that. This shit never works because the "powers" are just arbitrary abilities that don't really mean anything. In this case, Touhou is like the average long-winded shonen anime, where characters are given inconsistent abilities and powers simply because they sound cool.

Remilia's power is, according to ZUN, the ability to "manipulate fate". How did she lose to Reimu if she can manipulate fate?

One of the good things about Touhou is that the games leave quite a bit of space for creativity, but as far as power levels go, in many cases, it just turns into a "My favorite character would destroy your favorite character because she the game says she (insert ridiculous power here)". If youwant to talk about which character is more interesting or just the one you like better, fine, but those powers don't mean shit.

>> No.1527819

>>1527801
Powerlevel debates would be great if people made them to try to find out what ZUN's description actually means rather than applying the most liberal reading of the translation of it and stating that "my favourite character beats your favourite character".

>> No.1527826

>>1527801
I wasn't using "powerlevels" in a versus context, sorry for not being clear. I just sort of meant a personal outline as to what a person thinks about the things an ability may encompass and why.

For instance, Komachi's ability of distance manipulation. Some people think it only applies to actual, literal distances, while some others think it can apply to abstract "distances" as well. When a person presents their ideas about an ability in a reasonable manner, I see it as being no different as how a doujin may present and represent an ability.

You're right about how those topics tend to degenerate into something undesirable in /jp/ though. And really, it seems sort of unavoidable. Huh, I guess you're right, and that it may be best to just avoid those topics all together. I don't really read through many Touhou topics in /jp/, so I don't actually get to see how bad they can get, but I've had a few glimpses.

>> No.1527827

>>1527819
To be fair, even in Japan they do this. Sort of like how Saimoe isn't really a contest of which character is more typically "moe", just a contest of which shows and characters are the most popular at the time.

>> No.1527828

>>1527827
Looks more like a general people problem than an actual, treatable problem in our community then.

>> No.1527831

>>1527819
Yeah, and as far as we know, the only characters who would seem to be good in a physical fight would be Suika, Yugi, Meiling, Ran, and maybe Yuka, since it's stated she prefers close range combat. There are others, but those seem to be at the top.

Even if Meiling was a joke in IaMP.

Without her gaps, Yukari probably wouldn't be jack shit.

>> No.1527846

>>1527831
Its stated in perfect memento that magicians are physically weak and would get their ass kicked in melee. Kind of makes me wish more of those articles would get translated, and maybe another volume or something similar to be released eventually. A lot of those articles I really found interesting, and not because they were related to the characters.

>> No.1527855

Going off-topic, but...

>>1527827
>contest of which character is more typically "moe"

In defence of SaiMoe, popularity contest is much less contrived than the contest of typical "moeness" would be. Actually, popularity contest is probably the best we can get; we can assume that people like the characters because they found them moe. The alternative is voting for some girl you don't like just because you suppose she may be "moe" "objectively", which goes againist everything moe stands for.

>> No.1527883

>>1527831
>good in a physical fight
>Ran

Where did you get that idea?

>> No.1527962

>>1527883
Isn't that somewhat of a commonly accepted idea? Even in PCB and IN Yukari (ab)uses Ran to attack using melee.

>> No.1527976

>>1527962

Apart from the Ran spellcards in the fighting games, I've never seen instances of Ran actually directly engaging the enemy in melee combat.

In IN, Yukari just sends Ran to home in on the enemy to gun them down, not beat them to death.

>> No.1527989

>>1527976
Yukari sends Ran flying around the screen in a Phantasm spellcard. She will happily mow you down if you get in her way.

>> No.1527992

>>1527855
I'm talking more about the cases of "Let's powervote every female character from my favorite series regardless of their actual personality". Higurashi was pretty notorious for that last year, for example. Rika is definitely moe, but some of the other characters...

>> No.1528041

>>1527634
THIS.

I'm in it for the games, primarily. I won't forget my first 1CC against Remilia, then Yuyuko. My first extra, against Ran. The first time I beat Flandre. The games will get you plenty of memorable experiences, if you give them a shot.

I also like the music, and listen to some remixes. If you like orchestral stuff like me you'll be able to find a lot. Occasionally doujins and such are interesting, but I don't especially care about most of that and yukkuris are pretty stupid.

TL; DR - Good games and music, something will appeal to you if you give touhou a chance.

>> No.1528066

Are there English translations for these games?

>> No.1528068

>>1528066
No, we just kinda make it up as we go.
You could've found this out easily if you googled it, though.

>> No.1528076

>>1528068
Meh, I read that the games were popular in the West and thought it was implying that translated versions had been released.

>> No.1528077

>>1528066
There are, but they're unnecessary. ZUN likes to use a whole lot of that "clever" wordplay that popular in Japanese storytelling. A whole lot of the conversations between characters are references to Japanese culture, pop culture, or literature, and the translation doesn't catch that either. For example, that whole, "Manjuu are scary" thing after the Mokou fight.

>> No.1528087

>>1528076
Nope, not a single person has thought of translating the games, strangely enough. It's more fun if we sit around and make facts up than to read about their tea party adventures.

>> No.1528163

>>1528066
EoSD, PCB, and IN are all translated.

>> No.1528172

When the hell will they finally release the translations for MoF and PoFV

>> No.1528177

>>1528172

Last time I heard, MoF translation patch was 95% done. They were just waiting for ZUN to release a patch for the game before releasing the translation patch itself.

Otherwise, just read up the translations on the Touhou Wiki.

>> No.1528179

>>1528177
It's exactly like you say, the translation is done, but they don't want to release because they are waiting for ZUN who will NEVER patch MoF. What's the fucking point, just release it already and make an update later on.

>>
Name
Subject
Comment
Action