[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/jp/ - Otaku Culture

View post   

File: 185 KB, 654x480, image49733342.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1302950 No.1302950 [Reply] [Original]

Hi /jp/

I'm considering studying abroad in Japan within the next two years (I'm a freshman in college) and I just came across some new info.

I originally wanted to study abroad in Japan, but a friend of mine suggested going there for the intensive Japanese language courses. He mentioned that there are schools where you can become fluent in Japanese within the semester or so that you attend and you speak little to no English while there.

Does anyone know of any schools that I should check out that offer these programs? My dream is to one day become a translator, but I wish to teach English in Japan once I get my degree. I'm learning Japanese because I love the culture and I've always wanted to become fluent in the language.

Any recommendations would help, thanks.

>> No.1302956

>>translator, but I wish to teach English in Japan once I get my degree. I'm learning Japanese because I love the culture and I've always wanted to become fluent in the language.

^_^ ITS JUST LIKE ONE OF MY JAPANESE ANIMAIS! ^_^

>> No.1302957

if you have the cash, there are dozens if not hundreds of options

all of the major universities for example, including todai

>> No.1302958

JET program

>> No.1302970

>>1302958

OP here...

JET is for teaching, I'll look into that later with my professors, but for now I'm interested in language schools.

I want a serious language school which would allow me to become fluent. Are there any that Anon has heard of?

>>1302957

I'm saving up for my education right now, and I figure I can get loans to help out with the rest. I've got plenty of time to save up and money is not an issue, I just want to find the best school or at least the best school that offers an intense program.

>> No.1303613

If you're interested in straight language schools...

http://www.naganuma-school.or.jp/

There's also this one, but it costs a fuckton and they only admit 60 students a year. But once you're done with the 10 month program you'll be fluent.

http://www.iucjapan.org/index_e.html

Good luck, whichever you decide.

>> No.1303632

>>1302957
>if you have the cash

Is that really the only requirement? Given how competitive Japanese colleges are, I find it tough to believe that they'll accept anyone wanting intensive language study so long as they have the cash.

I mean, I KNOW how tough it is to get into study abroad programs in Japanese colleges; they have extremely strict GPA requirements before they'll even think of considering you.

>> No.1303638

>>1303632
Cash means everything.

>> No.1303639

東京大学 is a good start. Try applying there, for English courses or Japanese courses. But you must have good credentials.

But theres this rumour that they prefer Britfags over Amerikunts. I dont know why though..probably British English is better...

>> No.1303644

>>1303638
Tell that to the programs abroad director who won't even look at an application with less than a 3.0 GPA.

And even then the program is highly competitive.

>> No.1303645

>>1303632

>>1303613
here. The thing is, Japanese colleges are very competitive - for Japanese people. They're much more lenient with foreign students and money goes a long way in the application process. You don't hear of many poor people studying in Japan.

Anyway, if you want the best possible program, go with the second link I provided. If you've got the cash it shouldn't be a problem.

>> No.1303663
File: 29 KB, 544x391, 1221385986045.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.1303664

>>1303645
Honestly, at this point I just want the chance to study over there at all. I've given up my hope of finding things such as a homestay program.

But the programs abroad director for asian programs on campus won't even talk to me about it with my 2.5 GPA and so many total hours that it would be impossible for me to get all the way above 3.0.

>> No.1303675

>>1303644
Why would you include a gatekeeper middleman you don't need?

>> No.1303678

>>1303664
You don't have to do it directly through your school. You can directly apply to any language school and they'll hook you up with a visa (if you're planning on studying a long time) as well as a host family, or if you can afford it, they can even get you housing. And quite a few of them offer college level credits, so your home uni can honor them, or even better, you can use them to transfer into a Japanese university.

If you want to go the language school, rather going straight to a Japanese uni route, you have many options.

>> No.1303695

>>1303678
I'd actually rather have a host family, oddly enough. It would feel like a more genuine experience.

But that's interesting. And good to know. I'd have no idea how to find any such school, though, as I'm generally bad at finding these things.

And I'm not sure I'd want to go to a purely language school, even if I would primarily be studying language. But I guess that might be my best option.

>> No.1303710

>>1303695
Check that Naganuma link I provided. I've never been there myself, but I heard it was the best language school around... and judging from their website, that seems to be the case. But looking around at the accomodation, it doesn't look like they provide host families. Honestly, from my experiences, a long term host family experience isn't as grand as it may seem. When I first went to Japan, it was a two week trip, and only one was with a host family, and I'd still say it was my best experience with one yet. One was quite terrible, the other okay. You're going to a limit on freedom and from what I've heard about language school provided homestay families, some do it strictly for the money and I've heard some bad stories. Whatever language school you'll apply to, they're sure to have a bevvy of trips and cultural excursions so you can have generally nice experiences with those.

>> No.1303722

>>1303710
Honestly, at this point I'm more concerned with just being able to study over there than I am with such details as where I'll be living and what I'll be studying. Language school, dorm life, sure, whatever, so long as I can get over there.

So thanks, I'll look into it.

>> No.1303736

>>1303722
Believe me, I'm in the same boat as you. I've been over there four times and still haven't found a way to stay there long term, since I want to study there too. Money is a huge issue for me as well, I pretty much have to support myself... so naturally Japan should be the last country I want to go to. I'll try again next Spring, but if I can't get there I might as well try to make the best of things in America.

I sort of have this feeling that if you want it bad enough it will eventually happen. So, I hope I at least pointed you in the right direction towards studying in Japan.

>> No.1303766

>>1303736
Money isn't really so much of a problem for me right now.

...maybe I should try looking into graduate programs in Japanese universities, too...

>> No.1303780

>>130373
work for Nova...oh wait..

>> No.1303797

>>1303766
If you're interested only in learning Japanese, a language school is probably your best option. Someone here mentioned Tokyo University, and taking classes in English there... that seems to be a big, increasing trend in Japanese universities as of late. I can't really speak for studying Japanese itself at a university, but the whole approach language schools use I think would push you harder. IUC Japan's program is specifically designed for English speakers learning Japanese, btw.

If you're going to look into graduate programs, I'm not sure many are available in English. My number one goal is to go to a prestigious graduate school there, but I have to gain fluency in Japanese for it... So, go to a language school, get awesome at Japanese, and then perhaps look into them...

>> No.1303831

>>1303797
I'm already intermediate level at Japanese as it is (although a bit out of practice for practical application). Studying Japanese isn't the ONLY thing I'm interested in, as I'd also like to be able to graduate at some point.

To that extent, I guess a language school would work so far as undergraduate studies goes, but I've also considered pursuing further education after graduating. I've got no idea what kind of graduate study opportunities Japan offers, though.

>> No.1303847

Why do you all want to move to Japan?

My goal is to move to America someday, even though everyone I know hates it for some reason. But in America they have so much licensed anime and manga and it's all in English. How can anyone hate it?

>> No.1303868

>>1303831
Hmm... maybe you could study for a year at Naganuma, go back to your home uni for a semester or two, then look at applying to a Japanese university as a transferring junior. Or just, apply to one directly after you're done with Naganuma and see if you get accepted. Naganuma looks they have a good program for people wanting to study at Japanese universities. I'm sure they offer plenty of graduate programs, though I heard graduate school in Japan isn't as big of a deal as it is in the US. All depends on what you want to study, though.

>> No.1303910

>>1303868
I haven't actually thought that far ahead yet about things like what I'd study.

But yeah, a language school would be good for now.

>> No.1303921

>>1303910
Well, completing your study at a language school would be a good step towards becoming a translator. You can get an English teaching job in Japan with your eyes closed, though you might wanna nab a degree back home (doesn't matter which kind) so you can get a gig that pays good.

>> No.1303931

>>1303921
I had actually considered going on to graduate school to get a teaching degree, though I don't know how much use that would be.

>> No.1303946

>>1303931
Well, the only requirement for being able to teach English in Japan is knowing it, really. If you're serious about teaching over there, it might be a better option to get your teaching degree here and then look into the universities that employ foreign teachers that teach the classes in English.

>> No.1303959

>>1303946
It's really just something I considered while figuring out what to do after college.

I'd most likely be teaching english, anyway.

>> No.1303971

>>1303959
Hmm... a teaching degree might help you out then. Any regular gaijin can get an eikawa job or something similar, or do JET. But both are less than stellar... if you have a teaching degree and a good command of the language, perhaps you could be teaching English at a Japanese university, which I guess is what you're looking to do.

>> No.1303978

>>1303971
I'm honestly not really sure at this point, I'm just looking at possibilities for the distant future.

>> No.1303982

>and you speak little to no English while there.

dude, I took a class like that once, but for german.

It is the gayest fucking thing ever. Even simple things like "May I please use the restroom?" turn into a giant fucking chore of stumbling around trying to say the right shit while the fucking teacher just mocks you.

Listening to the teacher speak in nothing but a language you do not understand is not fucking helpful. You get the same treatment from watching an animu and turning the subs off. You don't know what's going on, but the teacher expects you to.

>> No.1303983

>>1303978
Good luck, whatever you decide. My plan is to go to graduate school there to study film. But, postgraduate spots are limited to 250 people and I'm nowhere near fluent in Japanese. At least you've put yourself within reasonable bounds, haha.

>> No.1303997

wow, teaching english in japan!
how unique and original!
what a carreer prospect!

>> No.1304130

Find a school that will garuntee that you can speak fluently in the end, check if the teachers motivate their students to learn the material. Make sure they are not racists. Try looking for a school with diversity.

If op is a troll never mind, but I had the exact same shitty plan, and here I am, 99% of the students were from China, worked my ass off learning kanji and never once was I motivated, all I was ever told was westerners were unable to understand Kanji. Fact: I was the best in the class. Except I felt like I had to fight against what they told me everyday for 2 years.

Unless you have some friends with the same goal no one is going to help you once you go op, you live like Rambo once you get off that plane.

>> No.1304149

>>1304130
John Rambo is that you?

>> No.1304164

>>1304130
chinese and koreans are such a turnoff when trying to learn japanese

the chinese with their instant kanji fluency, and the koreans with their closely related grammar / word order / word construction / tv distinction etc that makes fluency a breeze for them

it's why I said fuck it and stopped going to classes. I'll get along fine with my 2kyu thank you very much. (gonna try to fail 1 again this year)

>> No.1304217

>>1304164
thats what they tell you but the truth is the chinese have to do near the same amount of work because most kanji have different readings, and they use different characters. Their only advantage is they can look at the kanji and understand it, but they will only know it's chinese reading meaning, to be able to read it in Japanese they have to learn it like anyone else.

You also get told koreans have similar grammar but fuck that shit, I've met koreans who can't even read any kanji, and their grammar is off.

Sadly many from the west are eager to learn Japanese and become fluent but too bad nobody wants them to.

>> No.1304226

>>1304217
Not true. It's easier to learn a kanji for chinese as they know the stroker order.

>> No.1305264

>>1304149
Christopher?

>>
Name
Subject
Comment
Action