[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/jp/ - Otaku Culture

View post   

File: 1.50 MB, 1920x1200, 1314408999580.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
13000572 No.13000572 [Reply] [Original]

You know, even after all these years, Touhou is still really pretty great. All it needs to revive its former glory is ... a game based on a fucking Western lore.

I hate to be that SDM guy and I really loved TD/UFO a great deal but the issue with Eastern lore is it's too hard to generate more than a couple of memorable characters because all the lore and references are too obscure and subtle. Everything after that just fizzled and one more hit may be too much.

I really hope ZUN brings some non-hipster fluff back to the series in the next game. Nordic myth, Greek myth, even Christian lore etc would all be almost guaranteed hit. Get a couple of angels, a new demon, a Valkyrie, a Nordic Goddess etc. such low hanging fruits.

>> No.13000583

It's Touhou, not Seihou.

>> No.13000708

>>13000572
You do know 2hu is made by a Japanese guy for Japanese people, right?

I agree that some characters and perhaps a plot that takes ideas from Nordic or Western myth would be cool, but this is the same as an American demanding that a movie set in Africa is changed to be set in America because they can't relate to alot of the references made.

>> No.13000751

>>13000708
>You do know 2hu is made by a Japanese guy for Japanese people, right?
totally forgot how Japanese characters like Marisa, Remilia, and Alice are

>> No.13000782

>>13000708
>The name "Team Shanghai Alice" was chosen to fit the overall theme of the Touhou Project. "Shanghai" (上海), according to ZUN, is a multicultural city where the East and the West meet.

>> No.13000793

>>13000751
I'm not sure what point you're trying to make, but those characters are still designed to appeal to Japanese audiences.

>> No.13000868

>>13000572
>All it needs to revive its former glory is ... a game based on a fucking Western lore.

Hell no. Make your own game instead of telling others how to handle their stuff.

>Nordic myth, Greek myth, even Christian lore etc

Bullshit. Besides, you had Werewolves, mermaids and a Dullahan in the last game.

>> No.13000871

>>13000793
Not sure why you're trying to imply that Japanese audiences hate western influence when so many touhou characters are already influenced by the west

>> No.13000879
File: 432 KB, 734x721, Amano_FF1_Evil_Eye.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>13000793
you're right...japanese people would never try make anything based off of filthy gaijin work

>> No.13000889

I feel like this is an attempt to make the scarlet sisters relevant again when they barely even fit into the setting.

>> No.13000901

>>13000879
Shou is basically a roper already.

>> No.13000964

>>13000572
TD and DDC suck for other reasons than Eastern Lore, every single other game draws heavily on Eastern Lore and the characters are fine. I don't really know what I dislike about the new 2hus myself, can't really place it. Their designs just don't do it for me. Out of the new characters Miko and Kasen would be about it for people I like. I feel ZUN's newer art although "better" lacks a lot of character compared to his old style. Though with any large cast you tend to get diminishing returns on the characters as you're forced to make them stand out compared to your existing characters and can't do similar designs unless intended.

>>13000868
Sekibanki isn't a Dullahan, she doesn't have a horse or anything that could be considered a mount. She's based off a Japanese youkai, a Rokurokubi. You might as well say that Jiang-shi and zombies are exactly the same thing. They're similar sure but specifics and their origin aren't.

>>
Name
Subject
Comment
Action