[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/jp/ - Otaku Culture

View post   

File: 87 KB, 480x360, s_haruhi.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1271849 No.1271849 [Reply] [Original]

Are there any Japanese Americans on /jp/?

If so, how do your parents react to your hobbies and how do you feel about Koreans? I myself am Korean American and my parents don't have a problem, except the standard things 'when are you going to get a girlfriend?' and stuff like that.

>> No.1271858

I've never met a Japanese person in my life. Plenty of Koreans... holy shit, a shitload of Koreans. I always laughed at their comic books.

>> No.1271863

<ヽ`∀´>Nida!

>> No.1271867

I am Chinese American and my grandfather reads manga, I shit you not.

>> No.1271876

>>1271867

I don't believe you have a manga-reading grandfather, enjoy your dead grandfather

>> No.1272143

I'm Swedish, not even close.
Try harder next time, OP.

>> No.1272165

>>1271849
sage for viral marketing

>> No.1272169

Asians born in the West don't hate the other Asian groups until they log onto the Internet and find out that they're supposed to.

>> No.1272171

>>1272169

Fuck, I lol'd hard.

>> No.1272205

>>1271849
Well, how DO you feel about Koreans?

>> No.1272214

>>1272165
Age for Haruhi

>> No.1272220

>>1272169
kinda lol'd, but the only Korean-American I know hates japs with a passion, and as far as I know never needed to be told to by the internet.

>> No.1272294

Where I live about 7 out of 10 asians would be Chinese (most of them are from Hong Kong), 2 would be Phillipino, and one would be Korean. There are basically zero Japanese people where I live.

Parents are't openly "I HATE JAPS", but my mom's side of my family (Phillipinos) have degrading stories about Japs and don't look to highly upon them. My Dad dislikes them because apparently they are monopolizing the auto industry...

Koreans are alright. You can't really distinguish them from the Chinese until you hear them speak their language.

>> No.1272315

Koreans Hate the Nips, Chinks hate Koreans AND Nips.

>> No.1272382

>>1272294
I've got a similar situation. Where I live it's 6/10 Chinese, but probably 4 of those 6 from Taiwan. Of the other 4/10 Asians, 2 Veit and 2 Filipino. There is like minor gathering of Japanese people on the central-west side of the city, but it's negligible and you could probably fit them all into one passenger bus. Most of the inter-asian anything here is the older Taiwanese parents being generally butthurt about [insert topic here that their kids refuse to care about].

>> No.1272386

Japanese-American here. Most Japanese-Americans are like third or fourth generation, so they probably have very different experiences.
Parents think spedning most of your time on front of the computer is a sign that someone is going to become a hikikomori. Interesting trivia from this: the word for "good for nothing bum" is "gokutsubushi".
Parents don't really care about Koreans or Chinese, they're everywhere around here. Personally, I don't really care either, though I like to troll Koreans by mentioning Dokdo in casual conversation. In reality I don't give a shit over two little rocks. The only thing that ever bothers me about some Koreans is that some of the ones I've met are sort of hardcore religious; like the kind that go on religious retreats and don't like to "take the Lord's name in vain" crap. Lighten up.

>> No.1272408

>>1272386
>The only thing that ever bothers me about some Koreans is that some of the ones I've met are sort of hardcore religious; like the kind that go on religious retreats and don't like to "take the Lord's name in vain" crap. Lighten up.

2nded. There's like no Asian girls where I live, though I was about to close in on this pretty good looking Korean girl at college, she seemed interested, and so was I, until she asked me to go to her church. Fuck that.

>> No.1272418

why are there so many christfags in korea but not japan?

>> No.1272417

Korean-American here. I've got Chinese-American, Japanese-American, Filipino-American, and Indian-American friends. We all laugh at how we're supposed to hate each other because of internet racists. I honestly don't gave a crap about the Liancourt rocks. That's right, it's the Liancourt Rocks, not Dokdo or Takeshima. I'm using the original geographic term that was used to describe those rocks before the retarded Dokdo-Takeshima flame war. My mom and dad don't hate Japanese, they just don't like me marrying one. LOL, I asked them,"Then, what about a Zainichi Korean in Japan? They practically are Japanese except their ethnic origins." They didn't know how to respond to that one...

>> No.1272421

>>1272418
Cuz Japan stamped out Christianity during the Tokugawa Shogunate because they were afraid that missionaries were the advance agents of European colonialism. The Japanese had heard from the Protestant English and Dutch about how the Catholic Spanish and Portuguese conquered the Americas, coastal areas of Africa and Asia partly due to missionaries and their meddling with domestic politics.

>> No.1272433

I am amerikkkan, the real deal, right down to the marrow of my bones. Don't lump me together with you, faggot ass pseudo weeaboo.

>> No.1272434

I'm a filipino, all japanese girl disgusts of me.
why?I'm asian like them!

>> No.1272436

Dude, why all the hate? Girls are like flavors; a man has to have variety in life.

>> No.1272438

>My mom and dad don't hate Japanese, they just don't like me marrying one

Then they hate the Japanese.

>> No.1272444

>>1272382
Funny, where I live, the Koreans outnumber the Chinese at least 5 to 3. Never have I encountered a situation like this.

>>1272418
This is actually a good question. Why is it that with the massive amounts of money the missionary poured into other parts of Asia and the equally heavy presence of Americans in Japan and Korea, Korea ended up with a highest percentage of Christians?

My guess is that Korea lacked its own centralized native religion and decided to be Christfags instead and their natural RAGE took over from there.

>> No.1272447

>>1272438
LOL, maybe I should have been more clear. They don't want me to marry ANYONE that's non-Korean. It's nothing against Japanese, they're equal opportunist discriminatory.

>> No.1272455

I live in a semi-large British town and it's rare seeing a black or South Asian person here, let alone East Asians.

>> No.1272462

Well since you're posting on /jp/ there's not much chance of you marrying anyone, anyway.

>> No.1272488

>>1272462
Talking from personal experience? Or just 4channer rage at having your hand as your nightly companion?

>> No.1272490

>>1272488

Common sense

>> No.1272491

>>1272488
Hand? Fuck you, we live in the 21st century.

>> No.1272496

>>1272169
Before the internets, this was happening. You always had the surly Vietnamese types who hated the Chinese, but built Pho shops at the edge of Chinatown because it was the easiest place to pick up the ingredients they needed.

>> No.1272497

>>1272444
Jappo from before here, you guys really don't know too much about East Asian religious history. Neither China, Korea, nor Japan had strong centralized native religion; Chinese folk religion, Korean folk religion, and even Shintoism are just glorified forms of animism. Some people think that Shintoism was a state religion headed by the Emperor; while the Emperor was considered a living god, Shintoism itself was very shamanistic and loosely organized before the arrival of Buddhism in Japan, and the concept of an organized religion headed by the Emperor was a rather recent invention of the post-Meiji Restoration government to encourage nationalism.

Christianity actually reached Japan before it reached Korea, and while it had sympathy in Korea from some of the aristocratic class, it never really grew huge until the annexation of Korea by Japan in 1905. There were suspicions of the Buddhist groups collaborating with the Japanese, and Christianity, which was heavily discouraged in both Japan and it's colonies, was seen as a dissident religion and became connected with the struggle for independence. That's why 50% of Koreans are Christian now. Why they're so fanatical about it, I have no idea.

And on the whole marrying outside your race thing, my parents would probably just be happy if I ever got married.

>> No.1272498

>>1272488
Well, unless I get a large windfall of cash or somehow lose this stupid shyness I'm cursed with, I think I'll be dying alone.

>> No.1272508

>>1272496
This is equally true and hilarious. Viets are tsundere for Chinatowns

>> No.1272521

I'm Japanese-American born in Hawaii, like many of us are
I don't spend that much time here so my parents don't care, and they don't know anyway cause I live alone now

I don't feel either way about Koreans, they seem like regular people to me. I work with a few Korean guys and it's all courtesy between us, no politics. I've been in some awkward conversations with Chinese though, but that's usually new immigrants from the mainland. With Chinese-Americans I get along fine, a lot of my friends are from Hong Kong.

>> No.1272674

>>1272496
i lol'd

>> No.1272712

Man, my mom is good friends with this Asian girl in her office. When she got in a relationship with a black guy, her parents fucking nearly disowned her. lol Asians. So racist.

>> No.1272768

>>1272712
Would you want your daughter dating a black man?

>> No.1272820

i met a Japanese family. i was standing inline to buy newspapers for work.

>> No.1275774

I guess when it comes to marriage people becomes more culturist than racist ( if the Black person can emulate Korean culture very much the parents of the girl might have said yes :D )

>> No.1275783

I don't want one for a relation or a President.

>> No.1275817

>>1272386

you can thank america for the hyperreligiousity of some south koreans. specifically the baptist chruch in the late 1950s.

>> No.1275839

I have a Chinese-American friend who thinks the entire Korean/Japanese/Chinese rivalry/hate chain is absolutely retarded.

But he does go out of his way to troll weeaboos who don't suppress their power level in real life.

>> No.1275887

>>1275817
All the protestant Koreans I know are Methodists.

>> No.1276050

>>1272712
>nearly disowned her.
I read that as 'nearly drowned her' and lol'd :D
When I was like 'oh.' :|
A TIP FOR NEXT TIME!

>> No.1276122

>>1276050
Wow, just wow. Almost raging.

>> No.1276237

Second gen Japanese-American from southern california here. I've got Philippine, Taiwanese, Korean, and Chinese friends. We all get along fine, 'cept the occasional mega religious Korean. My parents don't care about me watching anime & drama since they think it helps to keep my Japanese modern and alive(which it does). They don't hate Koreans or Chinese, they don't even know wtf dokdo/takeshima is or give a damn(it's seems it's only Koreans that are batshit over this).

>> No.1276258

>>I am Chinese American and my grandfather reads manga, I shit you not.
Did he grow up in the GLORIOUS EAST ASIAN CO-PROSPERITY SPHERE?

>> No.1276276

>>1276258
Hey, I'm >>1276237, and it's true, asian grandparents can be pretty kick ass. I had a friend with a mom and grandmother that both played games like robot taisen and dragon quest, religiously.

>> No.1276275

>>1276237
I, having known a few in my life constantly trying to persuade me to turn religious, hate those overly-religious Koreans.

>> No.1276281

>>1272712
Japanese American here. My uncle is black on my Japanese side. We have awkward family gatherings but that's about it. I guess it just depends on how americanized you're parents have been.

>> No.1276300

>>1276276
That doesn't answer my question, though.

>> No.1276303

I'm Japanese and my mother is watching a Korean soap opera right now.

>> No.1276304

I'm Japanese-American. I don't mind Koreans specifically... it's just other Americans in general I can't stand. My parents were rather laxed as opposed to the stereotypical strict asian parent, although they still wanted me to go outside more frequently. I was a 3 year hiki at one point.

Growing up in a white/mexican part of America as a jappo is pretty bad.. and being Japanese-American in a Japanese class is worse in a hundred more ways.

>> No.1276316

>>1276281
I have a black uncle on my Japanese side too. Hmm. Except our family gatherings aren't awkward at all.

>> No.1276322

I have a Japanese uncle on my black side. Our gatherings are very awkward.

>> No.1276324

>>1276304
Wow, you're a fag.

My parents never let me leave the house now that I literally never leave the house they want me to go out more.

>> No.1276326

How many other japanese-americans are literate in Japanese or speak the language? I speak perfectly but my kanji is shit, fortunately I'm literate enough read Shonen Jump, currently studying it as a minor in uni.

>>1276304
Oh god...did you get that "Japanese Chinese look at me! *moon*" thing when you were in kindergarten/1-2 grade too?

>> No.1276336

Japanese American here. I am the black sheep, so my family doesn't give two shits about me. That's the problem with being higher than 3rd gen; the "foreign" culture values wear off, like close family ties. I can't remember any of my extended family's names, and not a single birthday for any of my family.

I don't particularly dislike Koreans, no more than anybody else at any rate-- unless I hear the standard "[country] is bad!" without a solid reason, but I don't think I've ever heard anything like that outside of the internet.

>> No.1276343

My mom is Korean, except she defies the whole "Korean mother" stereotype. She's pretty easygoing. A nice person. My dad, on the other hand...but he's not East Asian at all, so it doesn't really matter.

My parents have never done stuff like wonder when I'm going to get a girlfriend. There's never been any of that stereotypical "are you gay" stuff...heck, I actually had to make my dad tell me about the birds and the bees.

Friends, friends...my mom's friends with a lot of Asian people. Not just Asian people, I mean. I mean, she's friends with Asian people as well as people who aren't Asian. Not just Korean, either. Let me think...we were friends with a Japanese family called Moriguchi, and then they moved away. And there that other friend of hers, but I don't know her nationality because she's married...

As for me, I've had Japanese, Korean, and Chinese friends, as well as friends who aren't Asian.

>> No.1276346

Jap-American here, I grew up too...Japanese... living in Orange county. My first language was Japanese and I never fit into American society and I constantly feel homesick for Japan and American self assertiveness and un-group mind-ness drives me nuts sometimes.

>> No.1276359

>>1276326
>"Japanese Chinese look at me! *moon*"

Not who you originally asked, but how it goes down in my part of the world was "Chinese, Japanese, Dirty knees, Look at these!"
"These" being the holy icon of all /jp/sies-- gradeschool panties.

>> No.1276384

>>1276359
Holy crap, you're the first person ever online or irl to share the same experience that I know of...everyone around here is either mexican, white, or korean.

>> No.1276401

>>1276326
I can speak but can't read for shit ;;

>> No.1276452

>>1276346
This is why I'd probably never be able to grow up as a foreigner in another country.
Not asian by the way.

>> No.1276457

>>1276336
Damn, what's it like being 4th gen? Are you basically white or are you still somewhat asian? Both culturally and genetically.

>> No.1276460

>>1276452
I think I'm a somewhat rarer case, it seems like everyone else gets alone fine.

>> No.1276462

>>1276460
*along

>>
Name
Subject
Comment
Action